Sign in to follow this  
Guest ks5214

University of Dayton Flyers Athletics Discussion

I'm sure when all is said and done, the season will be totally blamed on injuries and health. But a team cannot rely solely on two star players and expect to win all season long. The truth  be told, no one simply stepped up in their place, moral went down and now they are in trouble.

I'm still hoping they can pull it together and make the big dance, but losing to GW is NOT a good sign. I think their RPI is still good, but they better hope there are not a lot of teams that win their respective conferences that are not suppose too... .

Dayton left out of NCAA Tournament

In a conference call, NCAA Tournament selection committee chair Tom O'Connor explained the fate of several bubble teams.

"Dayton was a tremendous basketball team at the beginning of the year.  But they fell into a situation where they had some significant injuries (namely to freshman Chris Wright).  The reality check is that they had four losses against teams that were below 100 in our data-point collection (RPI).  You feel for a team like that because of injuries, but injuries are part of the game of basketball."

More at http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/03/17/ncaa_short_17.ART_ART_03-17-08_C6_1H9LT93.html?sid=101

How about 'em? We've seen this same song and dance from the Flyers before, fast start with some impressive wins, only to see them fade down the stretch and get worked in A10 play.

I hope they're the real deal this year, I just don't see them keeping this up w/out a Brian Roberts to bail them out. Wright is good, but he can only do so much.

Good luck against Creighton, they're always tough. I'll be watching my Muskies crush the Bobcats of OU tonight. The A10 needs as many non-con wins as possible.

How about 'em? We've seen this same song and dance from the Flyers before, fast start with some impressive wins, only to see them fade down the stretch and get worked in A10 play.

I hope they're the real deal this year, I just don't see them keeping this up w/out a Brian Roberts to bail them out. Wright is good, but he can only do so much.

Good luck against Creighton, they're always tough. I'll be watching my Muskies crush the Bobcats of OU tonight. The A10 needs as many non-con wins as possible.

Fair enough.. what year did you graduate from XU?

I've been really busy so I haven't been posting articles, and this is a thread that has suffered, and I apologize.

However, how bout' them Flyers?  18-2.

Big game vs. SLU tonight.

I fully expect a matchup of 21-2 Xavier vs. 22-2 Dayton on 2-11. The A-10 needs a signature game like this.

I also fully expect the Flyer's to roll over like the paper tigers they are.

Your schedule has in no way prepared you for what X will bring.

I fully expect a matchup of 21-2 Xavier vs. 22-2 Dayton on 2-11. The A-10 needs a signature game like this.

That's nice, go talk in the Xavier thread.

Hey. I wish nothing but the best for Dayton, they're the only other school bringing any sort of respectability to this sad sack of a league.

But here's an honest question, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Does the fact that Dayton's SOS is north of 180 take away from the gaudy record at all?

If you don't have the team, sure let up on the scheduling a little bit, no need to pull a temple and continue to schedule teams like you did in the mid 90's. But that kind of SOS is not going to a.) Impress the selection committee, or b.) Prepare a team for success in the tournament.

Thoughts?

a.) Dayton will make the tourny regardless of their schedule, excluding a monumental collapse.

b.) Every team has creampuff games, you and I both know that.. in fact, many of XU/UD's non-conference opponents were the same.  Is XU's non-conference schd harder? Yes.  Will I give XU 2-0 vs. UD this year, no way.

a.) False, False, False, False, False. What makes you say that? UD had a great RPI last year, in fact they had the highest RPI of any team NOT to make the tournament in NCAA history. Reason? Scheduling, or lack thereof on Dayton's part.

b.) Every team does have creampuffs, but when your schedule is made up almost exclusively of said puffs, then you have a problem. Marquette and Creighton are the only decent teams Dayton has played, maybe Auburn.  And I think we both know you're not going to get a boost in SOS from the A10.

UD has the third weakest SOS in the A10. If I were a fan of the program I would be concerned. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Am I thrilled about their schedule? No.  But nothing can be done but play it and win as many as possible, if they post an excellent record overall and in the conference, they will make the tourny.  They didn't make it last year because of their conference schedule collapse.  The only affect of their schedule will be a lower seed.

Time to eat your words...

Dayton defeats #14 Xavier at UD Arena by a score of 71-58

This is a signature win that was desperately needed for a Dayton team with arguably only 1 signature win before tonight (Marquette).  This puts UD in a much better position to make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2004.

By Tom Archdeacon | Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 02:40 PM

T. J. Houshmandzadeh is headed out of Cincinnati just about the time the Dayton Flyers are headed in.

Both have something in common.

They’ve each done a lot of losing in Cincinnati.....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2009/03/03/blog_flyers_looking_to_make_so.html

Dayton 69, Richmond 64.. Dayton moves on to play Duquesne (who beat the #2 seed Rhode Island) in the semi-finals!

This win really solidified UD getting in the tournament, a win vs. Duquesne, and they're a lock.

Nice to see 3 teams in from A10. Tough draw for Dayton in the first round.

Yeah, WVU is playing good ball, but nobody has an easy game in the tourny.

HUGE UPSET. Dayton will riot tonight.

Where's the BE contingent to tell us the top 8 teams in the BE are better than the best the A10 has to offer?  UD 2-0, XU 1-0 against BE.

I'd also like to throw in that this is the first tournament win for Dayton since 1990 and one Jim O'Brien, so this is a huge deal. Congrats fella's.

Always love to see Huggins go down.

HUGE UPSET. Dayton will riot tonight.

Where's the BE contingent to tell us the top 8 teams in the BE are better than the best the A10 has to offer? UD 2-0, XU 1-0 against BE.

3 out of the 4 number one seeds were from the BE...'nuff said.

Looking at Dayton's schedule, they need to be top 2 in the A-10 (where they've struggled the last two seasons) to make the dance.  They have an extremely weak schedule from here on out.  Especially given the fact that no one from the A-10 is currently ranked nationally.

With that said, they're 2-2 against 4 teams that are all probably top 30 in the nation.  Not a bad start, but they'll need to play consistently strong all year if they want to play in March.  It would be nice to have beaten Nova or K State to pick up some key netural court wins.  We played both teams tough, but will that matter on selection Sunday?