Guest CMH_Downtown

Columbus: Arena District Developments and News

I think the billboards look trashy and it's annoying they keep ignoring their own regulations because the downtown standards clearly don't allow them. 

When there are so many new parking decks being built that actually look cool I don't get why they can't do something inventive in Columbus aside from the Convention Center Garage along 670. 

wynwood-garage_750xx1498-843-0-67.png?sf 

miami-design-district-city-view-garage-i

180423-Museum-Garage-Miami-065-Large-1.j

They should be wrapping them in something cool like the ones above and not whatever. 

• Like 4

Nationwide opens Arena District innovation center

Nationwide has spent the past year renovating the former Arena Grand Theater at 175 W. Nationwide Blvd. into a three-story, 47,000-square-foot innovation center that will bring together its 150-person innovation team into one location.  The former theater space been rebranded as The CoOperative.

The former theater's architecture is largely intact, but the space has been opened up with some additional windows for natural light.  One smaller theater was retained which can be used for talks and employee events.

It's expected that in addition to the 150-person innovation team, the company will circulate other employees into the space for stints.  Nationwide has about 10,000 employees locally, most based in Downtown and at Grandview Yard.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/12/16/photos-nationwide-opens-arena-district-innovation.html

Below are some interior photos from the 15-image slideshow at the Columbus Business First link (bizjournals.com) posted above:

49239192922_653be64bd6_o_d.png

49238974971_8dd29b46bc_o_d.png

49238491653_52c055e3da_o_d.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Site work is underway for the Chipotle HQ. 

7C732F17-F0E8-4F2B-926A-9FC8575E0812.jpeg

Man how this overall view is going to change/grow in the coming years.  Between filling in these parking lots, some for of Market Tower taking place as well as the new Hilton tower this is going to come to a much more completed look.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gnoraa said:

Man how this overall view is going to change/grow in the coming years.  Between filling in these parking lots, some for of Market Tower taking place as well as the new Hilton tower this is going to come to a much more completed look.

Don’t forget the 8-story hotel under construction just to the left of this picture and the potential 8-story office building next to it. The drive down 670 sure has changed over the last decade. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

I can't remember what that little patch of asphalt was in the bottom center of the picture. I don't think it was a gas station, was it?

I seem to recall a one story brick building just south of the asphalt. Maybe an HVAC contractor? I think it was removed when the railroad bridges were demolished. That's why the parking lot is above Neil - it was all tracks. I outlined it in red below. That's Goodale St and Park at the top. 670 wiped out a lot of houses!

image.png.383f5565aa139f79fd0f3a7db01e0215.png

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9725708,-83.0095163,3a,75y,138.78h,97.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH7_xCIs2ofQYuIWKgBcgJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Unless it was just overlooked in the renderings, I wonder what the plan is for all of the fill that exists on the site? There is 12-15 feet of fill along Neil Avenue in this location -- and the renderings show the Chipotle office building at street level. There does seem to be some semblance of meet at grade where the parking garage is concerned along Spruce. The Flats on Vine to the south are on a bit of a raised base, so I wonder if it will be more of that condition? Without street-level retail they could get away with some heavily planted, sloped areas along the sidewalk on Neil.

Edited by jebleprls22

On 1/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, NightNectar said:

670 flanked by 2 national food chain HQ’s in a .25 mile stretch. Does Wendy’s come downtown next? Wendys Tower has a ring to it... 😂

This is an EXCELLENT point. Bridge Park Dublin could easily buy out their current HQ and expand eastwards. Wendy's can make its triumphant return downtown (how they haven't opened a new "flagship" store downtown within the last decade is tragic).

Yay cranes! 

200' Crane:

image.thumb.png.866bae43ce0efc613dff44f42b961db1.png

125' building:

image.thumb.png.a5974803734fd8aa0365ef25c378f543.png

Looks like we are probably going to be pretty crane-heavy around the 670 corridor come summertime. If everything gets started and moving as planned, we could see cranes up for this, the Hilton, Market Tower, the new Westminster tower (I'm guessing they would use a tower crane), and potentially the Jeffrey Park tower if that gets started this year. There will also be crawler cranes for the new Crew stadium, Chipotle office, and Covermymeds HQ. Assuming some Scioto Peninsula projects get started sooner rather than later, we might see a tower crane or two for that as well. The crane for Gravity 2 will also be easily visible from 670. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Inject it into my veins! 

Also, 200’ seems a bit much for a 125’ building, no? Some of the OSU cranes are also significantly taller than the buildings they’re constructing. Is it because of the larger footprint of the building? I’ve seen many other high rises use cranes that are hardly taller than the roof of the building. 

Just now, FudgeRounds said:

Inject it into my veins! 

Also, 200’ seems a bit much for a 125’ building, no? Some of the OSU cranes are also significantly taller than the buildings they’re constructing. Is it because of the larger footprint of the building? I’ve seen many other high rises use cranes that are hardly taller than the roof of the building. 

This one probably needs to be tall enough to safely clear the 12-story building next door. The OSU cranes are quite a bit taller than the buildings because they need to be able to safely clear each other. You can see a good example of this if you go over to the airport right now. They are only building a 4-story parking garage, but the tallest crane is about 175' because it has to clear the other two cranes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

This one probably needs to be tall enough to safely clear the 12-story building next door. The OSU cranes are quite a bit taller than the buildings because they need to be able to safely clear each other. You can see a good example of this if you go over to the airport right now. They are only building a 4-story parking garage, but the tallest crane is about 175' because it has to clear the other two cranes. 

That makes quite a bit of sense, thanks! I figured there was a good reason, as I’m sure renting a taller crane costs more.