Guest Mister Good Day

Cleveland: TV / Film Industry

Cleveland leases 17,000 square feet in Convention Center to filmmaker

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cleveland City Council on Monday approved a one-year, rent-free lease with a filmmaker that will occupy 17,000 square feet at the downtown Cleveland Convention Center.

Was not sure where to put this... But this does deal with Clevleland and a movie star?

Will Smith's whirlwind day in Cleveland culminates with movie premiere

by Clint O'Connor/Plain Dealer Film Critic

Thursday November 20, 2008, 9:13 PM

Will Smith put in a good 12-hour day in Greater Cleveland Thursday. In the midst of a five-city tour promoting his new film, "Seven Pounds," Smith was greeted by an array of hugs, handshakes, cell-phone snappers, and "you're-really-an-inspiration" moments from starstruck fans.

http://www.cleveland.com/moviebuff/index.ssf/2008/11/will_smiths_whirlwind_day_in_c.html

There is a video and pictures as well if you follow the web link.

I was flipping around and heard him on q104. I assumed he was dailing in.

A friend of mine interviewed him, if I remember to ask, I will see if there is anything more to it.

Cleveland on the shorts list: Film Festival will now be qualifying event for Oscars

Posted by jmorona December 10, 2008 14:37PM

Marvin Fong/Plain Dealer File

After talking with the staffers last night (who were celebrating at Bar Cento), this is a permanent thing for CIFF. They were very happy, to say the least.

Anybody catch the Cleveland centric 'Criminal Minds' last night. The police cars appeared to have the proper logos, however the uniforms were not even close.

No, but perhaps I'll stream it while I'm eating lunch today :)

Yeah my sister called me about it (I posted in accidentally in Off-topic).  Anyways, they referenced "Cedar Park," "CuYOGA," and "Edgewater Creek."  I dind't see any shots of Cleveland.

Sometimes names have to be changed because the production didn't obtain the proper rights.  To me it seems they didn't work didn't work with the film commision to make sure that the proper names were used.

From what I watched, ney to both descriptions.  Besides the fact they were investigating a murder, I thought they portrayed Cleveland in a fairly decent fashion (I think I'm saying "decent" because it wasn't negative).

The killer seemed like a kid who would hang out in Coventry, the bar was set out of a scene from a Lakewood bar, and the fbuddy was a decent looking chick.  I forgot they did talk about the Main Street bridge.  I only watched from like :35-55, so I could have missed a lot. 

**I've never seen 30 Rock.  You're right, if it's not Three's Company, I hate sitcoms.

From what I watched, ney to both descriptions.  Besides the fact they were investigating a murder, I thought they portrayed Cleveland in a fairly decent fashion (I think I'm saying "decent" because it wasn't negative).

The killer seemed like a kid who would hang out in Coventry, the bar was set out of a scene from a Lakewood bar, and the fbuddy was a decent looking chick.  I forgot they did talk about the Main Street bridge.  I only watched from like :35-55, so I could have missed a lot. 

**I've never seen 30 Rock.  You're right, if it's not Three's Company, I hate sitcoms.

LAWD

1975-Dec-b.jpg

Get out of the 70's dude!

Cleveland is on 48 hours:  Hard Evidence

In the early morning hours, Romona "Mona" Krotine left an office party just outside Cleveland, Ohio, and was never seen alive again. Nearly a day later, she was found in the trunk of her car, beaten and shot to death. Who was to blame?

It's on TLC

I saw it.  I dont even remember this case.  Most of the jury said that they thought he was guilty, but didnt have enough evidence to convict him. 

Downtown looked nice! 

I saw it.  I dont even remember this case.  Most of the jury said that they thought he was guilty, but didnt have enough evidence to convict him. 

Downtown looked nice! 

Yeah the streetscape was very nice and clean.

If you haven't seen the 30 rock episode on Cleveland here is the intro that they used. Its about 3 min and is all about Cleveland. I thought it was pretty cool when I first saw it and is worth a few minutes just to see the intro in the link below if you don't wanna see the whole show.

Lease signed to create film studio and soundstage in Cleveland Convention Center

by Julie E. Washington/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday March 17, 2009, 4:30 PM

Saw "Duplicity" this weekend .. highly recommended. It's a really fun movie, and the chemistry between Clive Owen and Julia Roberts is great.

Cleveland features in it for about 5 seconds. Okay .. a bit longer than that, but I doubt the actual city was used for longer than that. They talk about it, kinda take pot shots at it, yadda yadda.

But go see the movie regardless.

Saw Duplicity today. I don't even think the brief shot of "Cleveland" was even Cleveland. I need to wait for DVD and still the picture. As far as the movie, eh. It wasn't worth the 12 bucks I paid at the Hollywood Arclight, but would be worth it for 5 or 6 bucks.

Not sure where else to put this, but last night I noticed the terminal and key towers in the background of TNT's inside the NBA set.  The background is a composite skyline made up of buildings from a few cities.  The terminal and key towers are near the middle and side by side.  I thought it was pretty cool.

no kidding? it is very cool to 'make' one those composite skylines. usually it's mostly the st. louis arch and the space needle.

Holy crap- a definite must see for Cleveland urban aficionados that I can't believe I hadn't even heard of until recently.  My apologies if it was discussed earlier in the thread, but I just saw it and was blown away. It's Jules Dassin's 1968 "Up Tight." 

It's a loose retelling of the 1935 John Ford movie "The Informer," but is set among black militants in Hough instead of Irish revolutionaries in Dublin.  The movie was filmed on location in Hough in 1968 and is full of amazing, colorful (literally and figuratively) streetscapes that are now loooooong gone.  The final scenes in the movie are in the flats amidst the heavy industry.  The acting is way overwrought and the story a little flimsy, but it's still pretty compelling, and is 100% worth seeing just for all the footage of 1968 Cleveland and the awesome Booker T & the MGs soundtrack.

I don't think it's on DVD yet (I saw it at a Cinematheque-like place), but it will be someday, and I know it's popped up at at the Cinematheque as recently as last year: http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2008/03/up_tight_a_1968_film_shot_in_c.html

Here's the original NYTimes 1968 review of the movie: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9F03E3DF1430E034BC4152DFB4678383679EDE

Just a little blurb from the AP arictle of the Cavs game last night...an extra 2 million viewers isn't bad:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"James' appearance on "60 Minutes" on Sunday was the highest rated segment of the CBS newsmagazine. It drew a 10.7 rating (17,354,000 viewers), a rating 26 percent higher than the rest of the show (8.5 rating), according to Nielsen Media Research."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ji1f1lcjvBNQPBYnKRX9GktFW1kgD97ANP280

<a href="http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=111541&catid=3">'The Soloist' movie set to open, some scenes filmed in Cleveland</a>

Posted By: Kim Wendel   Updated: 4/15/2009 3:28:56 PM Posted: 4/14/2009 12:39:31 PM

It's been exactly one year since a Dreamworks SKG film crew and actor Jamie Foxx came to Cleveland to film several scenes for the movie "The Soloist." Now "The Soloist" is set to open nationwide next week on April 24.

Slide show of images from the film shoot

This sounds really cool. I love all of the exposure we're getting with the Cavs success.

http://www.whatsthediff.com/2009/04/ever-hear-of-the-price-is-right-its-only-the-most-successful-game-show-in-tv-history-with-a-30-year-run-on-cbs-the-sh.html

The Price is Right: Quicken Loans family companies Cleveland Cavaliers and Fathead get in on the game

The Quicken Loans DIFF: Cleveland Cavaliers and Fathead on the Price is Right! Ever hear of The Price is Right? It’s only the most successful game show in TV history, with a 30+ year run on CBS! The show is now hosted by Cleveland native and REAL.BIG. Cleveland sports fan Drew Carey!

Well, our Quicken Loans siblings over at Fathead and the Cleveland Cavaliers worked their magic, coming up with an amazing Fathead and Cleveland Cavaliers prize package that will be featured on The Price is Right not just once, but twice, in the next few weeks!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, April 14th, lucky contestants will play for the opportunity to win the Fathead/Cavaliers package as the coveted Showcase Showdown!  The package includes: an all expense paid trip to Cleveland to watch the Cavs in the NBA Play Offs from courtside seats (plus behind-the-scenes tours), two Fathead XZipit luxury recliners with favorite team logos, a pair of LeBron James Fathead wall graphics, Fathead PDA skins, memorabilia and much more!

Then, in an episode airing on MAY 5th, during the NBA playoffs, contestants have a chance to win it again. Yep, Drew had so much fun with it the first time, they decided to tape a second episode … the second one also will feature Drew Carey having some Fathead fun during half-time at The Q!

Check your local TV listings to determine the time and CBS station it will air on in your area:  http://www.tvguide.com/.