Cleveland: TV / Film Industry News

Background actors needed for feature film being taped in Cleveland area

https://fox8.com/2019/08/13/background-actors-needed-for-feature-film-being-taped-in-cleveland-area/

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Unfortunate update. It seems strange how this could have changed in less than a month. 

https://www.ideastream.org/news/russo-brothers-plans-to-film-cherry-in-cleveland-fall-through

AUTHOR

David C. Barnett

PUBLISHED August 16, 2019 

Los Angeles will be standing in for Cleveland this fall as production of a high-profile film by native sons Joe and Anthony Russo will no longer be shot here. After their global hit "Avengers: Endgame," the duo turned their attention to a movie adaptation of the novel "Cherry," by Clevelander Nico Walker.

The brothers signed British actor Tom Holland to play the lead and were planning to start shooting the movie in Northeast Ohio in October. Anthony Russo said those plans recently fell through when the state legislature temporarily pulled the film tax credit out of the budget.

4 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Unfortunate update. It seems strange how this could have changed in less than a month. 

https://www.ideastream.org/news/russo-brothers-plans-to-film-cherry-in-cleveland-fall-through

AUTHOR

David C. Barnett

PUBLISHED August 16, 2019 

Los Angeles will be standing in for Cleveland this fall as production of a high-profile film by native sons Joe and Anthony Russo will no longer be shot here. After their global hit "Avengers: Endgame," the duo turned their attention to a movie adaptation of the novel "Cherry," by Clevelander Nico Walker.

The brothers signed British actor Tom Holland to play the lead and were planning to start shooting the movie in Northeast Ohio in October. Anthony Russo said those plans recently fell through when the state legislature temporarily pulled the film tax credit out of the budget.

Wow.  That's a shame.  It's up for debate how much or how little impact financially it would have had, but it's too bad a film that takes place in Cleveland won't be filmed here.  Can't fault the filmmakers... the cost needs to be taken into consideration for them as well.

Another reminder that there is little benefit to Cleveland being in Ohio. Another reminder that Cleveland would be better off back as a part of Connecticut.

• Like 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

7 hours ago, BigDipper 80 said:

Ah yes, Connecticut, home to thriving boomtowns like Hartford and Bridgeport. 

Well, in that case, is KJP lying? ?

• Haha 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a very special set of skills...

• 4 weeks later...

^ did these get in before the tax credits were taken away?

i can't imagine there will be much more film work in state until they put it back.

i dk how much filming brings in as far as jobs and income, i have only read positives about that, but i don't really know for sure, but the pr alone has got to be worth something, so hopefully they do put back more permanent film business incentives.

5 hours ago, mrnyc said:

^ did these get in before the tax credits were taken away?

i can't imagine there will be much more film work in state until they put it back.

i dk how much filming brings in as far as jobs and income, i have only read positives about that, but i don't really know for sure, but the pr alone has got to be worth something, so hopefully they do put back more permanent film business incentives.

If they don't fix this we'll lose more jobs/projects to Toronto and Atlanta.

Cuyahoga County Board of Election won’t star in ’The Minuteman’ movie after all

"Filmmakers of the Liam Neeson movie “Minuteman” wanted to feature the blocky brick Cuyahoga County Board of Elections office on the big screen as a Texas-Mexico border government building, but a tie vote from the board Friday scrapped Hollywood’s plans."

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/09/cuyahoga-county-board-of-election-wont-star-in-the-minuteman-movie-after-all.html

Get ready everyone

'The Bachelor' is Filming an Upcoming Episode in Cleveland Next Month

Posted By Laura Morrison on Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 3:28 pm

The upcoming season of The Bachelor is filming in Cleveland next month, the reality show insider blog Reality Steve reported. 

Slated to be the fourth episode of the season, the Cleveland taping apparently is set to include the Browns, (we're imagining Baker Mayfield tossing a football around with some of the contestants), and most likely some choice city locales. 

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/09/25/the-bachelor-is-filming-an-upcoming-episode-in-cleveland-next-month

And now filming is moving back to Cleveland. I hope it stays this way. 

https://www.ideastream.org/news/new-russo-brothers-film-cherry-confirmed-for-cleveland

Production of the new Russo Brothers film "Cherry" is coming to Northeast Ohio after all.

In an e-mail this afternoon, a spokesperson told ideastream that "most of the shooting is now in Cleveland and not in Californina as the benefits have changed in Ohio."

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, Boomerang_Brian said:

And now filming is moving back to Cleveland. I hope it stays this way. 

https://www.ideastream.org/news/new-russo-brothers-film-cherry-confirmed-for-cleveland

Production of the new Russo Brothers film "Cherry" is coming to Northeast Ohio after all.

In an e-mail this afternoon, a spokesperson told ideastream that "most of the shooting is now in Cleveland and not in Californina as the benefits have changed in Ohio."

21 hours ago, mrnyc said:

^ benefits have changed? hmm, i wonder what that means?

When Ohio was working on the budget, one chamber proposed removing the movie tax credits. The other chamber proposed increasing the movie tax credit. So when the Russo team was planning the movie shoot, they weren’t sure if the tax credit would be available. As a result they decided to move the shoot in LA. When the final budget was passed, it did include the movie tax credit (and added theater productions, yay!). Something must have changed on the film plan and since theOhio tax credits became available, the Russo brothers decided to move filming back to Cleveland again.

they recently made a call for extras if anyone is interested. “Must look 18-35” iirc. 

• Like 1

New national commercials (short/long play) for Safelight AutoGlass came out a few days ago. Most of the filming was done in Ohio City's Hingetown neighborhood where I ran into the film crew from Los Angeles at Rising Star Coffee. They said they were filming in Cleveland because of the lower cost and because the producer had done work here before. You'll probably recognize a few quick Cleveland scenes, especially in the longer version (second one)....

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

Liam Neeson Visits Lakewood Bowling Alley

The A-list actor visited Mahall's 20 Lanes over the weekend. Rumor is, it was his first-time bowling.

https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/liam-neeson-visits-lakewood-bowling-alley

Netflix Docuseries ‘The Devil Next Door’ Trailer Reveals the Evil Among Us

Link: https://collider.com/new-netflix-docu-series-the-devil-next-door-trailer/

"THE DEVIL NEXT DOOR is the true story of John Demjanjuk, a retired Ukrainian-American autoworker living a peaceful life with his family in Cleveland, Ohio suburbs in the 1980s. When a group of Holocaust survivors identify Demjanjuk’s photograph as “Ivan the Terrible” – a notoriously cruel Nazi death camp guard who tortured and killed nearly one million Jewish prisoners during World War II – Demjanjuk’s American dream is shattered and he is extradited to Israel to stand trial for crimes against humanity."

Edited by NorthShore647

A small blip on the filming for Russo Brother's movie Cherry at the end of this article, Link: https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/10/cleveland-heights-introduces-preliminary-severance-redevelopment-proposal.html

"Over this week and possibly next, crews were set to film at Forest Hill Park, Severance Town Center and in Coventry Village around Hampshire and Lancashire roads. Responding to a question from Ungar, O’Neil said that Cleveland Heights would be in the credits when the movie is released."

Also just saw that the author of the autobiographical novel which the movie is based, Nico Walker, was transitioned to a halfway house just as filming began earlier this month. https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2019/10/imprisoned-cleveland-area-author-moved-to-halfway-house-to-start-work-on-movie-adaptation-directed-by-russo-brothers.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, Pugu said:

Queen & Slim. Begin shot in Cleveland. Perhaps this is old news, but i just learned about it from this article about the weather:

https://fox8.com/2019/01/30/the-deep-freeze-doesnt-stop-overnight-filming-of-movie-in-cleveland/

has anybody seen this yet? Gotten good reviews but doesn't exactly show Cleveland (or cops) in the best light. ☹️

^Looks like a good film. I want to see it. Was that cop in the trailer supposed to be Cleveland PD?  Wasn't even a CPD uniform.  Though I guess anyone outside of Cleveland wouldn't know that, but if it is supposed to be CPD its strange they didn't bother to get the patch right?  Imagine NYPD Blue with some strange non-NYPD patch?

2 hours ago, Pugu said:

^Looks like a good film. I want to see it. Was that cop in the trailer supposed to be Cleveland PD?  Wasn't even a CPD uniform.  Though I guess anyone outside of Cleveland wouldn't know that, but if it is supposed to be CPD its strange they didn't bother to get the patch right?  Imagine NYPD Blue with some strange non-NYPD patch?

Yea, he was a CPD officer.

CPD doesn't necessarily show Cleveland or itself in the best light.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pugu said:

actually the cop was played by country singer Sturgill Simpson

"A lethal encounter with an aggressive white police officer (the country singer Sturgill Simpson) changes everything"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/26/movies/queen-and-slim-review.html

okay folks, the movie all America has been waiting for: Ghost Babe. I could make snide comments like it's probably as bad as the trailer suggests, but maybe it will have sufficient camp appeal for some "redeeming social value." (or something like that?)  I'm hoping to see it for the role the Steele Mansion is given--at least that should merit an "A" movie rating? (and seriously, how can you not confuse Lake Erie for the Pacific Ocean??)

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/12/lake-erie-plays-pacific-ocean-in-ghost-babe-the-movie.html

Edited by eastvillagedon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I don’t know how many people a hardcore “The Bachelor” fans there are on UO ? but this is a big deal in regards to marketing the city to a primetime national audience:

‘BACHELOR’ COMES TO CLEVELAND AND CEDAR POINT IN NEXT WEEK’S EPISODE

“Welcoming The Bachelor puts the spotlight on Cleveland for two hours of one of the top-rated shows on primetime television, reaching millions of people across the country and the world,” said David Gilbert, president and CEO of Destination Cleveland. “The show offers us a unique opportunity to showcase Cleveland as an all-around great city to key influencers and generate awareness of what the region has to offer in the minds of potential leisure and business travelers.”

The episode is set to air Monday, Jan. 27 at 8 p.m

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/bachelor-tv-show-cleveland-episode-peter-weber-cedar-point/95-f6fa5f1e-613b-4ec9-b20b-6f079aa9b87d

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL

Comedy taking place in Cleveland and Ohio coming to Amazon Prime Video...perhaps our version of Always Sunny...?

'Making It... In Ohio' is a new sitcom that will be filmed in Cleveland and air on Amazon Prime Video

Conrad Faraj will primarily cast and shoot the television series in Cleveland, and the entire first season is expected to drop in the fall.

Author: Stephanie Haney (WKYC)

Published: 3:52 PM EST January 20, 2020

Updated: 5:46 PM EST January 20, 2020

CLEVELAND — Cleveland just landed a sitcom coming to Amazon Prime Video in the fall, called "Making It… In Ohio," from creator Conrad Faraj of Conrad Studios in Avon.

Faraj talked with 3News about the scripted show, which he describes as "Parks and Recreation meets Friends," born from his own experiences trying to "make it" in the entertainment industry. (Spoiler alert: Faraj has made it, and then some.)

"We're taking a lot of our experiences as filmmakers throughout the last couple years, and doing it as a situational comedy, and it's going to be hilarious. And it's going to resonate with a lot of people trying to also break into the industry."

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/whats-new/making-it-in-ohio-is-a-new-sitcom-that-will-be-filmed-in-cleveland-and-air-on-amazon-prime-video/95-fe68acbb-1278-4ad6-bd52-684090fb2e18

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:06 PM, MuRrAy HiLL said:

I don’t know how many people a hardcore “The Bachelor” fans there are on UO ? but this is a big deal in regards to marketing the city to a primetime national audience:

‘BACHELOR’ COMES TO CLEVELAND AND CEDAR POINT IN NEXT WEEK’S EPISODE

“Welcoming The Bachelor puts the spotlight on Cleveland for two hours of one of the top-rated shows on primetime television, reaching millions of people across the country and the world,” said David Gilbert, president and CEO of Destination Cleveland. “The show offers us a unique opportunity to showcase Cleveland as an all-around great city to key influencers and generate awareness of what the region has to offer in the minds of potential leisure and business travelers.”

The episode is set to air Monday, Jan. 27 at 8 p.m

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/bachelor-tv-show-cleveland-episode-peter-weber-cedar-point/95-f6fa5f1e-613b-4ec9-b20b-6f079aa9b87d

A HUGE social media following as well:

And one final reminder for tonight's Cleveland episode:

‘The Bachelor’ Cleveland episode airs tonight: How to watch

Updated 10:37 AM; Today 10:24 AM

By Joey Morona, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Early on during tonight’s episode of “The Bachelor,” Peter Weber tells the remaining 15 women they’re leaving the mansion and going to... Cleveland!

We can’t wait to see their reaction either.

We’re betting, though, like most tourists that come here, they’ll be pleasantly surprised at what they find. The episode, taped back in October, features two one-on-one dates and a group date.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/01/the-bachelor-cleveland-episode-airs-tonight-how-to-watch.html

i made it thru cedar point and the football game, but when they brought back the contestant from the last week and we realized this show was two hours, i went to bed. ha. i had never seen the bachelor before and i thought it was pretty good up until then. 

of course they were very positive about cle. maybe it was a little forced from some of the girls, but not all though. and not at all from the bachelor, who seems like a very nice guy. who knew he could fly a plane?! ha. plenty of great views around downtown too.

C6B5837E-BA2A-469C-9140-67966DD189AC_zps

F294B0CE-1BBC-490E-87CE-C4B2BD262E54_zps

C5608A44-9B64-436F-8C53-02EE9033549D_zps

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roman totale XVII said:

The city looked good. Neither of us could place that villa-style house where the last segment was shot. 
The actual show is complete piffle though and it was a reminder as to why we barely watch tv nowadays. 

It was the Hay McKinney Mansion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I would watch a TV show to see how they portrayed Cleveland but I have such a disdain for TV shows like the Bachelor that I don't bother to sink to its level to watch it.

Some people are ripping the show's producers apart for picking CLE!  Ha-ha!  The girls' reaction when told where they were going--if real, not sure how scripted the show is--is pretty funny. You can see a clip of the reaction on the link below.

WRONG JOURNEY Bachelor fans slam producers who ditched exotic locations for CLEVELAND as contestants fall silent

"BACHELOR producers are being ridiculed by their passionate fanbase after the “uncomfortable” reaction from the show's contestants when they heard this week's episode destination is Cleveland, Ohio. The Bachelor is typically known for it’s world-class filming locations and over-the-top romantic dates but this week, production sent leading man Peter Weber, 28, and his group of ladies to the midwestern city and Bachelor Nation was outraged."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10834842/bachelor-fans-slam-producers-who-ditched-exotic-locations-for-cleveland-as-contestants-fall-silent/