Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News

I wouldn't worry too much about the demolition of that building.  There is no scenario where that structure was going to stick around.  It is historic in that it is, as i have heard, the oldest building outside of the dunham tavern.  But anything 'historic' in nature was removed decades ago.  The facade is long lost and it can not be restored.  There were discussions taking place when stark was involved to save some of the bricks and stone and potentially reuse them on a portion of the new development with some sort of plaque. But that was about it.  Given the condition of that garage and incorporated building, the fact that there would have been no way to restore said building, and certainly could not have been incorporated into any type of development we would like to see... this may be the first case in the history of civilazation where the demolition of a structure replaced by surface parking may actually be an aesthetic improvement.  here's to hoping that some time this century, economic conditions improve and the right type of development can take place on these properties.  At least the owners actually want to develop these parking lots, that is a first step. credit markets allowing development would be a nice second step.

Is this the building that was occupied by Stark Ent.?  The one that had the disgusting yellow/brown facade that was painted in recent years to actually look respectable?

it would have been nice if the city could have required standard parking to extend the landscaping buffers on at least one side of the lot - for instance continuing down w6 to frankfurt. 

as bad as these surface lots are, they are a lot better when there is a landscape buffer - as exists along the north side of much of frankfurt for instance.

Numb'rs have been there since the 80s.  I was a gay club.

Uh...  It's been Motion, a female strip club, since around 2007 or so.  It was another female strip club by a different name before that.

I can't remember ever seeing Motion open since I moved downtown in late 2008. 

Uh...  It's been Motion, a female strip club, since around 2007 or so.  It was another female strip club by a different name before that.

I can adamantly vouch that it used to be a female strip club.

But it was a gay club prior to that.  I'm sure I didn't go there on Tuesday's and Friday's to see T&A!

Note the spelling folks - 620 Frankfort was Numbers (a gay club) for quite some time - I want to say the late 80s to the mid-90s. It then became Atlantis (still a gay club) for a year or so. Then it became Hydra (a strip club), then Motion (another strip club). As to what "Numbr's" is, who knows?

... this may be the first case in the history of civilazation where the demolition of a structure replaced by surface parking may actually be an aesthetic improvement. 

Agreed. The core building may have been historic but the current structure was a frankenstein mess of additions and facades. 2 story parking deck? huh?

Numb'rs have been there since the 80s. I was a gay club.

Uh... It's been Motion, a female strip club, since around 2007 or so. It was another female strip club by a different name before that.

But it was a gay club prior to that. I'm sure I didn't go there on Tuesday's and Friday's to see T&A!

Just A?

What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip? Is that where females go to watch other females strip? Is that where females go to watch men strip, or is that where males go to watch females strip? I know there is one more kind but I do not want to get into that. 

If it is the last, then you just shoudl have said a "strip club".  I would have understood that.  Adding "female" confuses me. 

What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip?

Yes.

Is that where females go to watch other females strip?

Perhaps, if the women going like that sort of thing.

Is that where females go to watch men strip,

No.

or is that where males go to watch females strip?

Yes.

i wish i could just "like" someones post.. that would be cool. but i nod my head jborger. your post has been liked.

I would also like to say that i am not necessarily a proponent of this building coming down. i think whatever is put up there needs to have some sort of public walkway maybe underground access with glass so you can see the oldest building in the city and its foundation. i think things like that are important. i think its a shame this will become a parking lot. even though it was ugly before. its still going to be ugly now.

i wish i could just "like" someones post.. that would be cool. but i nod my head jborger. your post has been liked.

I would also like to say that i am not necessarily a proponent of this building coming down. i think whatever is put up there needs to have some sort of public walkway maybe underground access with glass so you can see the oldest building in the city and its foundation. i think things like that are important. i think its a shame this will become a parking lot. even though it was ugly before. its still going to be ugly now.

I don't understand that.  I'm not sure that would even be a draw or cost effective.  As said earlier the majority of the buildings "historical" makeup has been stripped.

If we're serious about preserving an old building in downtown Cleveland, then save the 1840s building on Ontario just south of Prospect...

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,7006.msg501862.html#msg501862

Please discuss this building at the above link so we can continue to discuss Warehouse District developments here.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

plus doing so would essentially completely end the thought of ever developing this portion of the block.

naw my suggestion is simply based on a whim.. i havent been to the site in years. im just curious if it were at all possible to at least save some of the foundation and expose it somewhere. it would be just a nice gesture to the city, its history, and give the site SOME merit. if they want to build over it they still can.

Anyway, back on topic. Has anyone noticed how business has been in the new outdoor bar of Metro Kitchen or whatever it's called?

I've been there a few times (Thursday's and Friday's mostly) and it's been crowded every time. Not so crowded that we couldn't get a seat, but the outdoor space was always packed and inside was usually pretty full. Their bar is really nice inside and the whole place has been done very well. The outdoor bar is also a VERY welcome addition to the neighborhood. Hopefully they put in some outdoor heater things so that space can be enjoyed deep into the fall.

Oh, and the food's not bad either. The hamburger's are pretty awesome. I've also had the half chicken (very good) and the ribeye (OK, but undercooked. Asked for medium got rare). I recommend it for a happy hour + dinner. The happy hour deals are very good for a place like that and it's just a nice, casual, reasonably priced place.  Fills the gap between the nice expensive places (Blue Point, XO, Johnny's, Chophouse, Crop) and the bars that serve food (Nauti Mermaid, Panini's, Barley House, Golic's, House of Cues, Map Room, etc).

What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip?

Yes.

Is that where females go to watch other females strip?

Perhaps, if the women going like that sort of thing.

Is that where females go to watch men strip,

No.

or is that where males go to watch females strip?

Yes.

Got it. 

Hopefully they put in some outdoor heater things so that space can be enjoyed deep into the fall

That's going to be tricky. Most types of temporary outdoor heaters are illegal in the city of Cleveland. Several places have been busted lately and had to take out the overhead propane powered heaters.

Hopefully they put in some outdoor heater things so that space can be enjoyed deep into the fall

That's going to be tricky. Most types of temporary outdoor heaters are illegal in the city of Cleveland. Several places have been busted lately and had to take out the overhead propane powered heaters.

Why are they illegal?  We trying to punish our smokers?  I see these things all over the place in other cities.

^ They're legal in Cleveland Heights, either that or the law is not enforced because they are widespread.

And for something to be legal in Cleveland Heights but not Cleveland is a real shocker.

Why are they illegal?  We trying to punish our smokers?  I see these things all over the place in other cities.

Wait a minute...Anyone who smokes, (including myself at one time) punishes themselves...as well as others who have to accommodate the self indulgence against one's will. I don't walk up and fart in your face and expect you to like it/take it, so why should I have to smell your smoke, is my philosophy. Question is whether said smoker has the courage and honesty to admit that he/she is punishing themselves---or whether they remain in denial and side with the tobacco companies as through they (tobacco) are their benefactor and not a  pawn of the tobacco companies which they (smokers) really are. Love the smoker arguments that simply have "no wind" to breathe on. Now back to the topic...

Are you serious?  That seems anti-pro business, especially in places like downtown, Shaker Square, UC, Tremont and Ohio City where outdoor dining is expected.  Outdoor dining is a great urban experience.  There has to be more to the story/situation.

you can use an outdoor heater, but in Cleveland, it has to be electric. 

dvine on st clair has electric heaters installed on their patio.  you can also get electric heaters that are the same look of the propane ones.

Are you serious?  That seems anti-pro business,

Anti-pro business? Wouldn't "anti-business" suffice, or are you trying to have "anti" and "pro" cancel each other out by using them both in the same sentence?  :-P

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 3 weeks later...

The space on West 9th is currently the Lakeland Employment office, so I guess a restaurant/nightclub/lounge will be a step up.

I saw the owner of this new club moving things into the four story building next door last weekend.  But, I thought the club was going to be in the two story space?  Or he got both?  Not sure what is happening to which building here...

• 1 month later...

it looks like the WHD master plan for streetscape and other improvements has made it through NOACA's prioritization process for fund allocation.  It is on the agenda as a proposed award for Friday morning, with spending that must occur starting in 2012, but it could be sooner.

http://www.noaca.org/tacoctober2010.pdf  (last page)

Does anyone have a link to the WHD master plan?  I didn't see anything on google.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Federal funds to help 17 Northeast Ohio street and trail projects

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Streetscape projects and walking and bicycle trails in the area will get a $9 million boost from the federal government over the next three years.

Regional planners picked 17 projects across Northeast Ohio on Friday to split the money over that time, ranging from street beautification in Cleveland's Warehouse District and Tremont neighborhood, to trails connecting parks or linking existing paths in Geauga and Lake counties.

Cleveland: Extend Warehouse District streetscape improvements already on West Sixth Street north of Superior Avenue, across to Lakeside Avenue and to Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority property. Federal contribution: $600,000.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/12/streetscape_and_trail_projects.html

Imagine a world where we paid to the City the taxes we pay to Washington, and we paid to Washington the taxes we currently pay to the city.  We would not need to beg for money from Washington to do great things in our city!

Imagine a world where we paid to the City the taxes we pay to Washington, and we paid to Washington the taxes we currently pay to the city.  We would not need to beg for money from Washington to do great things in our city!

Hmmm let's see.... We could build our own military and invade Pittsburgh.  :wink: :shoot:

Seriously though it's nice to see continued improvements in the WHD. Seems like quite a few nice little projects will receive some fed money.

Does anyone have the plans for what this $600,000 will actually do?  I understand that it is limited to west 6th. 

The improvements on west 6th south of st. clair were only $60,000, and the northern stretch already has some great street trees.  It was my original impression that the grant was going to district wide improvements, including Johnson Court and West 9th.

$600,000 seems like a lot for a short stretch of pavement.  Does anyone have more details or a link to the proposed changes?

^The original $60,000 didn't move any infrastructure.  Maybe the $600,000 will be used to completely remake and expand the pedestrian walks on W6th from Superior to Lakeside including bumping out all the lights, trees, etc.  Just a guess...

• 2 weeks later...

No update here (sorry!) but just a general question...  Since there seemed to be a lot of projects on the drawing boards circa 2005 & 2006, that were subsequently wiped out or postponed by the G.R. I wondered if anyone had thoughts on the possibility for a stark-like development in the WD in the upcoming years.

I was recently (last month) looking at apartments in the WD to move there, and asked about occupancy.  The Bingham and Bridgeview both said 85% and 90% respectively.  I don't know about the others, but it would seem, to me, that those numbers indicate enough mass to warrant new projects.  And more residents will clearly need/mean more retail.

...and how does (if at all) FEB play into this?