The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Artistry

About a decade ago there was a big push to protect hillside viewsheds in the city by the Hillside Trust. They even got some language inserted into the city's zoning code to protect certain areas along Columbia Parkway.

While much of their work goes towards hillside stabilization, preserving viewsheds at key overlooks and the Ohio River have been a priority for the group.

https://www.soapboxmedia.com/devnews/0602hillsidetrust.aspx

http://www.hillsidetrust.org/

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

On 12/26/2019 at 5:23 PM, Ucgrad2015 said:

Looks basically unchanged from your photo 2 months ago. 

Site work usually slows down during the winter months. The soil is either frozen or, more often, saturated and won't dry because a combo of cool temperatures, lack of sunlight, and humidity. It does look like they've been able to move some dirt around with the spurts of good weather we've been having.

15 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Site work usually slows down during the winter months. The soil is either frozen or, more often, saturated and won't dry because a combo of cool temperatures, lack of sunlight, and humidity. It does look like they've been able to move some dirt around with the spurts of good weather we've been having.

That all makes sense.   Although the project on Sycamore in Pendleton has been excavating and moving dirt around like gang busters

17 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Just 1/4 inch of rain or 2 inches of snowmelt is like a flood in the wintertime.

2 hours ago, JoeHarmon said:

That all makes sense.   Although the project on Sycamore in Pendleton has been excavating and moving dirt around like gang busters

There are ways to dry out the soil if schedule is tight, such as mixing in lime. I think it's also easier to haul dirt away when it's wet than it is to try to move it around and compact it, which is what it looks like they might be doing at the Artistry.

Being at a low elevation right by the river also helps keep the soil wet for much longer than at higher elevations. I've worked on a few projects at elevations near the low point in Hamilton County and it seemed like they never dried out, even in the summer. Pendleton is a bit higher, but it might not make much of a difference because it's still in a valley.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, Ram23 said:

There are ways to dry out the soil if schedule is tight, such as mixing in lime. I think it's also easier to haul dirt away when it's wet than it is to try to move it around and compact it, which is what it looks like they might be doing at the Artistry.

Being at a low elevation right by the river also helps keep the soil wet for much longer than at higher elevations. I've worked on a few projects at elevations near the low point in Hamilton County and it seemed like they never dried out, even in the summer. Pendleton is a bit higher, but it might not make much of a difference because it's still in a valley.

This is correct.  If this is an issue and they want to dry the land out they will bring in the lime trucks.   

On 12/26/2019 at 5:23 PM, Ucgrad2015 said:

Looks basically unchanged from your photo 2 months ago. 

The photo really doesn't do it justice but they have moved a lot of dirt in the past couple of months. Definitely making progress.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:45 AM, oakiehigh said:

This is correct.  If this is an issue and they want to dry the land out they will bring in the lime trucks.   

They have been doing soil remediation, hauling out dozens of truckloads per day. Heard it was high lead counts.

• Like 1

On a related note, the "Purple" People Bridge is looking more faded and less purple than ever. These swatches were painted on the Kentucky side of the bridge in 2017 but nothing else has been done. Has anyone heard anything about potentially repainting the bridge?

35458240964_4231c98d2b_4k.jpg

Yeah, they're still there. I'll try to get an updated picture next time I go by. Maybe they're trying to test the real long-term durability of those paints before choosing one. 😆

3 hours ago, taestell said:

Yeah, they're still there. I'll try to get an updated picture next time I go by. Maybe they're trying to test the real long-term durability of those paints before choosing one. 😆

You are correct the Newport based company that painted the swatches are testing different colors and companies.  Giving the Southbank Partners more time to collect money to paint the bridge again.