Cincinnati: Fountain Square: Development and News

went to via vite, looks great on the inside, horrible on the outside.

You went to Via Vite and didn't say hi?!

I hear a lot of people saying it looks like Bella inside; I've never been in Bella but I find the really classic looking hardwood floors combined with an abundance of steel and glass to be quite a juxtaposition (that for some reason works really well).

yea i would have thought they could have incorporated outdoor seating in a better fashion.  I think it would have been cool if, instead of the closed off windows that currently are on the square, they could open up, like a garage door, and open up to the square.  The restaurant Marcella's in Short North does this onto High Street, and it really has a neat feel to it. 

Does anyone go to fountain square on Sundays during Bengals away games?  My wife and I and some friends went down once.  Interesting mix of people.  One thing that did catch my attention was the number of what seemed to be tourist.  Their was definitly 2 seperate groups of people that we saw that wern't speaking english and looked foreign.

So I finally got down to Graeter's tonight (after an excellent dinner at Via Vite) and was disappointed to find out that they close at 9.  There was a group of about 20 people trying to get in at about 9:05 and couldn't.  When I talked to the manager and mentioned that their press release (that was on Graeter's own site) said that they were open until 10, he said "oh the press always gets it wrong."  They are planning to close at 9 during the week - and even on Friday and Saturday because their staff "has to catch the bus home."

First, I ride the bus, and know a thing or two about the schedule...it doesn't stop at 9.  Second, why won't the downtown Graeter's compete with those in the burbs and even the one in Newport by staying open until 10?  It seems they aren't as supportive as they could be of the energy behind downtown nowadays.

</rant>

So I finally got down to Graeter's tonight (after an excellent dinner at Via Vite) and was disappointed to find out that they close at 9.  There was a group of about 20 people trying to get in at about 9:05 and couldn't. 

It drives me nuts to see restaurants (especially downtown) do this.  I've seen the Skyline at 7th and Vine, Ingredients, and Servatti's do this.  :(

So I finally got down to Graeter's tonight (after an excellent dinner at Via Vite) and was disappointed to find out that they close at 9.  There was a group of about 20 people trying to get in at about 9:05 and couldn't.  When I talked to the manager and mentioned that their press release (that was on Graeter's own site) said that they were open until 10, he said "oh the press always gets it wrong."  They are planning to close at 9 during the week - and even on Friday and Saturday because their staff "has to catch the bus home."

First, I ride the bus, and know a thing or two about the schedule...it doesn't stop at 9.  Second, why won't the downtown Graeter's compete with those in the burbs and even the one in Newport by staying open until 10?  It seems they aren't as supportive as they could be of the energy behind downtown nowadays.

</rant>

Are you sure ALL buses run after 9? I ride the 17 so it's not a big deal but even that is a hassel late at night when they run like once every hour. It always seems to come about :42 after. If you get off work at 10 its pretty obnoxious to wait 42 minutes for a bus.

From my understanding all buses are supposed to operate until 1am.  This is not counting the express routes, and maybe not the crosstown routes...but the normal routes (like 17) should operate until 1am.  If the driver is finishing a route off at 12:45, you can probably bet that they're heading for the garage...but they are supposed to go until that ballpark time at least.

They do also start pulling buses off earlier I'm sure, but 9pm seems like an exaggeration.  Sounds like they transferred some suburban guy down to manage that store and his employees are pulling one over on him since he probably has no clue.

They do also start pulling buses off earlier I'm sure, but 9pm seems like an exaggeration.  Sounds like they transferred some suburban guy down to manage that store and his employees are pulling one over on him since he probably has no clue.

Hahaha, that's probably it!

Trust me...people were pulling the same crap up at Panera when it opened.  There is very little rhyme or reason behind placing managers where they do.  I don't know how many managers we get at the Calhoun and/or Western Hills Paneras that are scared to be working there.  I mean come on...neither of those places are bad areas AT ALL!!!  Oh and they also whine about not having free parking (hint park on a neighborhood street 2 blocks away and you pay nothing).

Trust me...people were pulling the same crap up at Panera when it opened.  There is very little rhyme or reason behind placing managers where they do.  I don't know how many managers we get at the Calhoun and/or Western Hills Paneras that are scared to be working there.  I mean come on...neither of those places are bad areas AT ALL!!!  Oh and they also whine about not having free parking (hint park on a neighborhood street 2 blocks away and you pay nothing).

But I might get attacked by bums :(

Went to Via Vite for lunch today... PHENOMENAL!!!  May I suggest the Italian sausage panini?

Also, if you go, head out on the terrace and check out the view of the Square.

PS - anyone know what they are installing between the fountain parallel to the short 5/3 building?  It looks like grates/vents for the garage below, but they weren't there before.  Anyone know?

They are for the air intake shafts of the garage I'm guessing. The grates are so that people don't fall into the huge holes up there. There used to be air shafts in the old design. I'm guessing they're the same ones, but just look a little different.

So I finally got down to Graeter's tonight (after an excellent dinner at Via Vite) and was disappointed to find out that they close at 9.  There was a group of about 20 people trying to get in at about 9:05 and couldn't. 

I am happythey are open until 9pm.   The old Graeters downtown store closed at 5pm.  I was never able to get ice cream after work.

It seems that the Christmas tree is coming in its <a href=http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20071101/NEWS01/311010049/>40-foot grandeur</a>. I'm excited for the new skating rink and possibilities for holiday fun. It seems like last week we were watching <i>It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown</i> down there and now the tree will be here in 10 days.

It's cold again. The <a href=http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6447.0>BJs</a> are awesome. Bring on winter!

Well, my wife and I went to Via Vite last weekend (sorry I didn't say hi, David).  Great food, as we expected.  The service was not quite up to Nicola's levels, but it was fine, and we really just chalked that up to everybody working out the kinks of the new place.

Also, it appears that Greater's is now staying open a little bit later.  We went to McCormick & Schmick's last night with a group of friends, and went to Greater's afterwards.  We got there at 9:30, left at 10:05.  I think they closed at 10:00.  They were quick, courteous, and luckily there were more seats than I anticipated.  It's going to do killer business in the summer. 

On an unrelated note, with all the buzz around Fountain Square, we are going out downtown on a really regular basis.  In the last two months, we've been to Via Vite, McCormick's, JeanRo, and Nicholson's.  Fountain Square and environs are really becoming option number 1 for dining, even though we live in Pleasant Ridge.

Went to Via Vite last night again for happy hour, left at about 9:00ish.  The place was packed!  It's clearly the place to be in Cincy these days.  The creme de la creme was there, including Bengal Caleb Miller and his smokin' hot wife (who I hear is Jeff Ruby's daughter?).  Regardless - it was good stuff and a lot of fun!  :drunk:

My hubbie and I hit up Nicholson's for dinner last night.  They had a folk/Celtic/bluegrass band playing.  We might need to try Via Vite tonight for a drink.  Anyone been to the bar at Morton's?  Downtown is definitely the place to be.....

You've got that right! I drove through DT last night and there were people everywhere ... can you imagine the streetcar and Banks once that's completed?

rock bottom entry way signage looks complete.  Looks good imo, very red.  Uuummmm, they clad their retail space in stone...looks good.  yea that area is going to look good once they get their outdoor patio area all squared away, and the construction bs is done.  come on already. 

I ate food at Rock Bottom before; it was then that I realized how they got their name. The beer is good though!

lmao.  one thing ill say about this place is when you get carrot cake for dessert, its the biggest f'ing piece of cake ever.  It only tasted OK though.  mmmmm, carrot cake. 

People... it's bar food... if you want good stuff, go to Via Vite or Palomino!

I guess sometimes GOOD bar food is what I want.  And sometimes more affordable is what I want.  Call me cheap but I just don't want to pay $15 - $20+ for an entree all the time.

Me and a group of planner friends will be hitting up Macs around 2pm or so today to start our festivities.  Following that we will be hitting up as many happy hour spots as we can Downtown, and then enjoy the rest of our evening.  I think we'll definitely be hitting up M&S at some point.

Quick question.  I haven't been to the new fountain square yet, because I'm not currently living there....but I'm curious about the television (excuse me, LCD board.)  Is there sound for events like the out-of-town games?  If so, how is it broadcast?  Is it through speakers at the square or do you have to bring a radio?  I'm just curious about how much of a nuisance it potentially is.