Jump to content
KJP

Cleveland: Sherwin-Williams new headquarters

Recommended Posts

R&D can go here ūüôÉ. ¬†Still would have parking and truck access. Also, ‚Äúlooking forward the next 100 years‚ÄĚ.. ¬†CityBlock tech hub/school could be a great feeder going forward in the new economy.

E308C852-546B-4E01-9FA8-268DA21DDAB1.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, marty15 said:

R&D can go here ūüôÉ. ¬†Still would have parking and truck access. Also, ‚Äúlooking forward the next 100 years‚ÄĚ.. ¬†CityBlock tech hub/school could be a great feeder going forward in the new economy.

E308C852-546B-4E01-9FA8-268DA21DDAB1.jpeg

I don’t care what anyone says, those are palm trees in that rendering.  I wouldn’t even be upset if we had them imported for 4 months a year.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

I don’t care what anyone says, those are palm trees in that rendering.  I wouldn’t even be upset if we had them imported for 4 months a year.

 

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Unbelievably beautiful building and would be a majestic transition between the beaux arts and more modern towers. But‚ÄĒwhat‚Äôs with the palm trees!? I left Miami because I was so sick of them! ūü§£

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marty15 said:

R&D can go here ūüôÉ. ¬†Still would have parking and truck access. Also, ‚Äúlooking forward the next 100 years‚ÄĚ.. ¬†CityBlock tech hub/school could be a great feeder going forward in the new economy.

E308C852-546B-4E01-9FA8-268DA21DDAB1.jpeg

What were the proposed dimensions of this building?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ydard said:

I still love a well-executed post-modern tower.

Examples like PPG Place, One Detroit, & our very own US Bank Centre in PHS come to mind.

  • Like 2

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason I think that Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams would turnover in their graves at the thought of SW leaving downtown Cleveland.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

For some reason I think that Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams would turnover in their graves at the thought of SW leaving downtown Cleveland.

SW is one of Cleveland Gold Star/Gold Chip Business with deep roots.  But we need to be realistic. 

 

Going forward they want to stay in Cleveland?  If yes, where?  Do they want a tower and offices/facilities scattered nearby?  Or do they want a cluster of building?  if yes, where in the city can they execute that plan for today's business and the future?

 

This is why I mentioned earlier, that I would love to see a tower on 1 Public Square, but would not be mad if Sherwin Williams moved to Midtown/East 55 Street.  That would transform the neighborhood on so many levels.  In addition, it would hasten the connectivity of businesses along Euclid, Prospect/Carneige and Chester. Smaller upstarts and hotels day-to-day businesses moving to Midtown is one thing.  Having a giant like SW move into Midtown is another.  

 

Hopefully SW will decide to build in Cleveland proper. That is the first thing that needs to be guaranteed.  Location and type of building/buildings is next.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see them moving to Midtown. I don't think there's enough room for SHW and another visionary plan I'm hearing about to be in Midtown at the same time. It would be a real shocker if this visionary plan was being proposed in anticipation of SHW moving there.

 

Everything I'm hearing is that it's downtown Cleveland unless another city completely knocks the socks off of SHW and pays for all of their relocation-related expenses.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel pretty confident that they'll be downtown. The wildcard will be The Board. After reading about Medical Mutual's board shooting down their Taj Mahal HQ proposal, who knows.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Color District: between Superior, Ontario, W. 6. and St. Clair. 

 

Microbranding at at its finest. Dear S-W marketing dept., please read this post and send a memo to your Board. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I feel pretty confident that they'll be downtown. The wildcard will be The Board. After reading about Medical Mutual's board shooting down their Taj Mahal HQ proposal, who knows.

I dont believe any decision by Medical Mutual will have an affect on SW in any manner.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KJP said:

I don't see them moving to Midtown. I don't think there's enough room for SHW and another visionary plan I'm hearing about to be in Midtown at the same time. It would be a real shocker if this visionary plan was being proposed in anticipation of SHW moving there.

 

Everything I'm hearing is that it's downtown Cleveland unless another city completely knocks the socks off of SHW and pays for all of their relocation-related expenses.

Article about midtown plan please?! Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

I dont believe any decision by Medical Mutual will have an affect on SW in any manner.

I think the point within that post was that regardless of what the CEO, CFO or other officers may recommend, the BOD will be the ultimate decision maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I think the point within that post was that regardless of what the CEO, CFO or other officers may recommend, the BOD will be the ultimate decision maker.

and I don't believe that the board of MM relocation/move decisions will have any barring on SW board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't and shouldn't. Once again, the point is that the BOD of SW, not the officers, will make the final decision.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/09/sherwin-williams-hq-decision-and-money-for-cleveland-lead-safe-efforts-are-separate-issues.html

 

Interesting editorial on Sherwin by PD.  That having said, I honestly cannot get over just what a toxic, pessimistic cesspool the comments section of online newspapers have become but clevleland.com in particular. I would like to know who these miserable people are and who hurt them. It is so so tiring. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewtoCLE said:

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/09/sherwin-williams-hq-decision-and-money-for-cleveland-lead-safe-efforts-are-separate-issues.html

 

Interesting editorial on Sherwin by PD.  That having said, I honestly cannot get over just what a toxic, pessimistic cesspool the comments section of online newspapers have become but clevleland.com in particular. I would like to know who these miserable people are and who hurt them. It is so so tiring. 

 

This should probably be in another thread...but Cleveland.bomb comments are tame compared to many other comparable comments/community sections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaysus, what a patronizing and obvious article. If I'm on the Sherwin BOD and read this nonsense - "oh we trust Sherwin Williams to do the right thing" - that doesn't exactly motivate me to vote to stay. Might not hurt but certainly doesn't help.

 

The PD/Cleveland.com needs to use some common sense here. That article is defeatist as hell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Frmr CLEder said:

They won't and shouldn't. Once again, the point is that the BOD of SW, not the officers, will make the final decision.

In today's Crain's online there is an article how the Cleveland Institute of Music received two gifts totaling $2.5 million. If you're wondering how I am going to tie this to Sherwin Williams HQ move, it's pretty straightforward.  One of the donors of this generous gift is A. Malachi Mixon. Although it did not indicate this in the article, Mr. Mixon appears to be on the BOD at Sherwin Williams. Bio here:

https://www.mcmcapital.com/professionals/a-malachi-mixon-iii/

 

Obviously, @Frmr CLEder is right above. It just seems to me that SW leaving Cleveland is an implausible notion.  I realize this is more of a superficial observation, as I have no relationships and no connections to any of this. But if the company is making money here, and has been since its inception, and the people who will make the decision on this topic - such as Mr. Mixon above - are likely *all* civic boosters who are committed to local philanthropy as well as the forward momentum of this city and its institutions, then how can one reach a different conclusion? 

Edited by NewtoCLE
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 12:21 PM, NewtoCLE said:

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/09/sherwin-williams-hq-decision-and-money-for-cleveland-lead-safe-efforts-are-separate-issues.html

 

Interesting editorial on Sherwin by PD.  That having said, I honestly cannot get over just what a toxic, pessimistic cesspool the comments section of online newspapers have become but clevleland.com in particular. I would like to know who these miserable people are and who hurt them. It is so so tiring. 

 

The article wasn't the best at tying the HQ decision to the lead paint hazards, but I agree with your sentiment on the PD comments section.  There are some folks--who seemingly use multiple logins--who do little else than spoil any civic-minded article with conspiracy theories, and, of course, the occasional race-baiting.  I am pleased that for the most part, the PD and cleveland.com provide the forum and just ignore the nonsense.

Edited by PaxtonMarley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NewtoCLE said:

In today's Crain's online there is an article how the Cleveland Institute of Music received two gifts totaling $2.5 million. If you're wondering how I am going to tie this to Sherwin Williams HQ move, it's pretty straightforward.  One of the donors of this generous gift is A. Malachi Mixon. Although it did not indicate this in the article, Mr. Mixon appears to be on the BOD at Sherwin Williams. Bio here:

https://www.mcmcapital.com/professionals/a-malachi-mixon-iii/

 

Obviously, @Frmr CLEder is right above. It just seems to me that SW leaving Cleveland is an implausible notion.  I realize this is more of a superficial observation, as I have no relationships and no connections to any of this. But if the company is making money here, and has been since its inception, and the people who will make the decision on this topic - such as Mr. Mixon above - are likely *all* civic boosters who are committed to local philanthropy as well as the forward momentum of this city and its institutions, then how can one reach a different conclusion? 

...and these individuals have families, rooted in the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SHW doesn't list him as a director - I'm guessing he used to be but isn't anymore.

 

https://investors.sherwin-williams.com/corporate-governance/board-of-directors-and-committees/#Directors

 

While Sherwin has some Cleveland folks and some others from around Ohio on their board, there are many who seem to based elsewhere, too, which is typical of a fortune 500 company.  While there may be some discussion of the effect on Cleveland if they were to leave, I would expect far more attention to be paid to the comparative effects of staying vs. going, most of which have been described elsewhere in this thread.

 

For me, I have a hard time seeing them leaving.  The costs and distractions of doing so just seem too great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.

 

After reviewing the photos of the new RMFH, in addition to having its name above one of the entrances, SW appears to have it strategically located throughout the facility.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of this is really evidence that SHW will stay in Cleveland or leave for "greener" pastures.  Need I remind everyone that there's quite a long list of deeply entrenched, home-grown businesses that either moved out of Cleveland or allowed themselves to get absorbed by out-of-state competitors.  And based on the timetable, SHW's deep footprint and employment base here can be replicated or replaced virtually anywhere.  I want to be and continue to be optimistic, however.

Edited by PaxtonMarley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Frmr CLEder RMFH? 


"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaxtonMarley said:

None of this is really evidence that SHW will stay in Cleveland or leave for "greener" pastures.  Need I remind everyone that there's quite a long list of deeply entrenched, home-grown businesses that either moved out of Cleveland or allowed themselves to get absorbed by out-of-state competitors.  And based on the timetable, SHW's deep footprint and employment base here can be replicated or replaced virtually anywhere.  I want to be and continue to be optimistic, however.

I find it interesting that the many posters who find it unlikely that SW will  move can provide a laundry list of rational reasons why a move of this nature is unlikely (for SW or any company of this size in any city) while those who claim a move is likely can only offer that if some unknown entity in some unknown state offers them enough money it will happen because this is Cleveland.

 

 

Edited by Htsguy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Agreed.

 

After reviewing the photos of the new RMFH, in addition to having its name above one of the entrances, SW appears to have it strategically located throughout the facility.

 

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. I can almost picture their future tower right here

(via: https://www.cleveland.com/galleries/FYAQZJX35NE6VHK633P6VEQPOI/)

 

sw gate.jpg

Edited by musky
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherwin+Williams+campus+massing-aerial1-

 

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2019

Shaping up Sherwin-Williams new HQ, R&D facilities

 

For those of us who were expecting Sherwin-Williams' (SHW) new global corporate headquarters plus research and development facility to be Cleveland's newest, tallest skyscraper, we may be disappointed. That's more of a statement of about what the new HQ+R&D might look like than where it might be built.

In fact, in its recent Request For Qualifications from the Cleveland offices of two international construction management firms (CM), SHW has asked for their conceptual proposals for downtown Cleveland facilities only, according to a high-level source. Those proposals were due to be submitted today.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/09/shaping-up-sherwin-williams-new-hq-r.html

  • Like 15
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 4

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to my Dad about this, and he seemed to agree (he's 83 and can be a little vague, dammit) that a chemical company R&D department is constrained by being in a downtown skyscraper.   It can be done, but there's a lot of extra cost involved and a degree of risk.

 

I seriously doubt the headquarters leaves downtown.  Even though I'm normally skeptical of the benefits of downtown HQs for a manufacturing company, in this case there are strong historical reasons.

 

I would also say that the VA site gives them an option there and if anything, strengthens Cleveland's case.  Plus it is almost literally off I-77.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could there also be an opportunity to acquire and develop relatively inexpensive land along Opportunity Corridor?  Its completion should fit into the SW timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KJP said:

Sherwin+Williams+campus+massing-aerial1-

 

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2019

Shaping up Sherwin-Williams new HQ, R&D facilities

 

For those of us who were expecting Sherwin-Williams' (SHW) new global corporate headquarters plus research and development facility to be Cleveland's newest, tallest skyscraper, we may be disappointed. That's more of a statement of about what the new HQ+R&D might look like than where it might be built.

In fact, in its recent Request For Qualifications from the Cleveland offices of two international construction management firms (CM), SHW has asked for their conceptual proposals for downtown Cleveland facilities only, according to a high-level source. Those proposals were due to be submitted today.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/09/shaping-up-sherwin-williams-new-hq-r.html

Great story from my favorite news outlet.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken - Excellent Article.  I never knew was that Morikis was disappointed with the new Eaton HQ.  While I'm sure it's a short commute for many executives and has plenty of parking, it is quite sterile and creates very little sense of place.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Could there also be an opportunity to acquire and develop relatively inexpensive land along Opportunity Corridor?  Its completion should fit into the SW timeline.

 

Not from what I'm hearing. They're pursuing downtown sites. They're listening to sponsors of non-downtown sites.

  • Like 2

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PaxtonMarley said:

Ken - Excellent Article.  I never knew was that Morikis was disappointed with the new Eaton HQ.  While I'm sure it's a short commute for many executives and has plenty of parking, it is quite sterile and creates very little sense of place.

The Goodyear HQ is much more open, modular, modern, vibrant and provides numerous opportunities for the use of SW products. Lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


√ó
√ó
  • Create New...