KJP

Cleveland: Sherwin-Williams' Headquarters

Clevelanders are in serious need of a confidence boost. This HQ project should help some.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

21 minutes ago, urb-a-saurus said:

Is the winning Cleveland site where the HQ will be built,  or does it have to compete with the winning sites in other cities?

I wont fully commit to a "no" until shovels are in the ground in Cleveland.  I do not believe there are other winning (official) sites, just speculation.

There does not need to be a new tallest or anything like that for Cleveland IMO. 

You already have your historical tall building in the Terminal Tower

You have a really good and very tall tallest in the Key Tower.  This is a classic skyscraper IMO and is a really good focal point.

Anything else should not be a new tallest but should complement the others in the skyline and help to fill it out around that group. 

I hope they really do it at this site and do it right.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, KJP said:

Clevelanders are in serious need of a confidence boost. This HQ project should help some.

Our civic low self esteem is one of the biggest impediments to our success. It’s hard to achieve greatness when you have a self imposed cap on what you think you can accomplish. We’ve got to stop this. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

Our civic low self esteem is one of the biggest impediments to our success. It’s hard to achieve greatness when you have a self imposed cap on what you think you can accomplish. We’ve got to stop this. 

I was under the impression that Clevelanders have been feeling pretty good about themselves since 2016, with the big wins of that year: the Cavs, the RNC and the Indians in the World Series.  Even studies have pointed out a marked increase in civic pride. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jeremyck01 said:

I was under the impression that Clevelanders have been feeling pretty good about themselves since 2016, with the big wins of that year: the Cavs, the RNC and the Indians in the World Series.  Even studies have pointed out a marked increase in civic pride. 

We're feeling better collectively, but when opinions were already so low, improved numbers are still low lol. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Toddguy said:

There does not need to be a new tallest or anything like that for Cleveland IMO. 

You already have your historical tall building in the Terminal Tower

You have a really good and very tall tallest in the Key Tower.  This is a classic skyscraper IMO and is a really good focal point.

Anything else should not be a new tallest but should complement the others in the skyline and help to fill it out around that group. 

I hope they really do it at this site and do it right.

I agree. I'm actually excited about the prospect a 40 story tower will do to visually balance the skyline. Most towers are east of public square. Only 3 of the tallest are west of it currently.

• Like 2

I wonder if the tower will be mostly concrete with a glass wall on one side or something like that. It will have to blend in well with the other two towers or else it won't look right.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, Mov2Ohio said:

I agree. I'm actually excited about the prospect a 40 story tower will do to visually balance the skyline. Most towers are east of public square. Only 3 of the tallest are west of it currently.

I do hope that if there is a significant tower it is built with some kind of tapering top or spire to match the other two tallest. I would really hate to see a box or a jenga tower. Something sort of avante garde and glassy would look good as a supporting tower to the Key Tower, sort of like the other two right there support it now. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, jbee1982 said:

I wonder if the tower will be mostly concrete with a glass wall on one side or something like that. It will have to blend in well with the other two towers or else it won't look right.

It could always sort of blend in regarding size and form and not necessarily materials. Just sayin' and all. 

Edited by Toddguy

13 hours ago, Htsguy said:

I want to "go on the record" as well and let the public know that I am also in the running for the headquarters as I have offered them land in my backyard.  I was told they were in the very early stages of searching and that Topeka Kansas was also in the running but they would send over a soil boring machine to get samples in any event.

And Epstein didn’t kill himself! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJP said:

Not sure why the low confidence! Cleveland is amazing!  Aside from all these amazing tall structures you guys are getting in downtown, you're also getting a lot of really cool projects in virtually every area of the city! I'd give up my left nut for a quarter of what you guys are getting out there, out here in Toledo... 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TwoStickney419 said:

Not sure why the low confidence! Cleveland is amazing!  Aside from all these amazing tall structures you guys are getting in downtown, you're also getting a lot of really cool projects in virtually every area of the city! I'd give up my left nut for a quarter of what you guys are getting out there, out here in Toledo... 

I agree, TwoStickney419.

I have never understood this issue of low self esteem on the part of so many native Clevelanders. The pending SHW HQ is just one of many major projects to move forward within just the last decade. Cleveland has an awful lot to be proud of - and the momentum continues to increase.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ArtMasterCLE said:

I agree, TwoStickney419.

I have never understood this issue of low self esteem on the part of so many native Clevelanders. The pending SHW HQ is just one of many major projects to move forward within just the last decade. Cleveland has an awful lot to be proud of - and the momentum continues to increase.

Most of the low confidence comes from the older generations who experienced so much loss and were made fun of it year after year after year.  That damages the psyche.  But most millennials dont seem to have that low confidence, they only thing they’ve seen go is united airlines and Lebron.  But even he came back and made it right

Edited by BelievelandD1
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BelievelandD1 said:

Most of the low confidence comes from the older generations who experienced so much loss and were made fun of it year after year after year.  That damages the psyche.  But most millennials dont seem to have that low confidence, they only thing they’ve seen go is united airlines and Lebron.  But even he came back and made it right

When I hear the "population loss" or "dead downtown" or "business leaving" or "no airline hub" - or whatever the comments might be - it's sometimes easy to forget that there are only a few dozenish cities - out of tens of thousands of cities/towns in the U.S. - that might have more going on in some areas than CLE/NEO and few that have it better in all.

Most of the other cities/towns in the U.S. would kill to have what Cleveland/NEO residents have and take for granted (or don't realize?) in pretty much every area - from business to the arts to pro sports to our downtown... and lake... and still very significant population... and even our airport. Everything is REALLY relative... 

A lot of lesser metros have done a far better job of convincing their residents (via media/marketing) they are bigger and better than they are (including some very nearby...). It would be nice if CLE could just get credit for what it (still very much) is...

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, jbee1982 said:

Hopefully, the exterior will be a lighter color.  There are too many dark, drab buildings downtown.  A glass wall would be nice.  The Terminal Tower would appear in the reflection.

14 hours ago, Toddguy said:

I do hope that if there is a significant tower it is built with some kind of tapering top or spire to match the other two tallest. I would really hate to see a box or a jenga tower. Something sort of avante garde and glassy would look good as a supporting tower to the Key Tower, sort of like the other two right there support it now. 

SW has an opportunity to make a bold statement and greatly enhance the Cleveland skyline. I hope they build it tall enough, at least taller than Terminal Tower with a tapered spire. Key Tower looks rather lonely standing 200+ feet above Terminal Tower and 200 Public Square. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, eyehrtfood said:

When I hear the "population loss" or "dead downtown" or "business leaving" or "no airline hub" - or whatever the comments might be - it's sometimes easy to forget that there are only a few dozenish cities - out of tens of thousands of cities/towns in the U.S. - that might have more going on in some areas than CLE/NEO and few that have it better in all.

Most of the other cities/towns in the U.S. would kill to have what Cleveland/NEO residents have and take for granted (or don't realize?) in pretty much every area - from business to the arts to pro sports to our downtown... and lake... and still very significant population... and even our airport. Everything is REALLY relative... 

A lot of lesser metros have done a far better job of convincing their residents (via media/marketing) they are bigger and better than they are (including some very nearby...). It would be nice if CLE could just get credit for what it (still very much) is...

Clevelanders should ask themselves if they actually want to live in the cities they compare Cleveland to.

Okay, Dallas has bonkers economic growth, but would you really want to live there

Okay, L.A.'s arts and entertainment scene is stronger than Cleveland, but wouldn't you rather not spend 25% of your waking hours commuting?

Okay, Columbus has done a great job of consistent economic and population growth, but what does Columbus have that Cleveland doesn't?

This city is on the way up with big wins like SHW. We have an incredible foundation of culture and cultural institutions and also have ample room to grow without becoming unlivable. How many cities in the U.S. have both of those?

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CleveFan said:

Maybe someone should start a Cleveland Therapy thread..  

It would help keep this thread focused on SHW HQ+R&D development.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

What types of retailers and or restaurants do you think may/should occupy the first floor of the SHW HQ TOWER?

And what about the best layout for the other buildings on the Weston lots as it concerns both retailers and perhaps even residential mix use buildings beside the R&D and PARKING GARAGE buildings?

Edited by Larry1962
Typos

52 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

Clevelanders should ask themselves if they actually want to live in the cities they compare Cleveland to.

Okay, Dallas has bonkers economic growth, but would you really want to live there

Okay, L.A.'s arts and entertainment scene is stronger than Cleveland, but wouldn't you rather not spend 25% of your waking hours commuting?

Okay, Columbus has done a great job of consistent economic and population growth, but what does Columbus have that Cleveland doesn't?

This city is on the way up with big wins like SHW. We have an incredible foundation of culture and cultural institutions and also have ample room to grow without becoming unlivable. How many cities in the U.S. have both of those?

Now leave Cbus out of this! no city vs city in this thread(at least for Ohio cities, go ahead and attack the others... ;)  )

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Larry1962 said:

And what about the best layout for the other buildings on the Weston lots as it concerns both retailers and perhaps even residential mix use buildings beside the R&D and PARKING GARAGE buildings?

It would be nice if they can try to design the other buildings to blend in with the existing Warehouse District buildings nearby.  It's a shame they didn't do that with the Pinnacle Building which was built on the parking garage a while back.     

16 hours ago, Toddguy said:

I'm glad someone else feels the same way.  If folks drive on 77 heading north into downtown, we've got three large towers on the left and a whole bunch of smaller one on the right.  Anyways looked strange IMHO.

As for height, I'm not paying for the SHW HQ, so my opinion's worth next to nothing.  But skyscraper aficionados seem to make a big deal about towers at least 500 feet (about 150m) in height.  And a fifth tower in that range would move CLE up a bit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, skiwest said:

It would be nice if they can try to design the other buildings to blend in with the existing Warehouse District buildings nearby.  It's a shame they didn't do that with the Pinnacle Building which was built on the parking garage a while back.     

I agree. I have hope that they'll do something like this after learning they like the design of Goodyear's HQ which ties in brick, steel, and glass well. However, I'm hoping that brick is incorporated on the Weston lot buildings to transition well into the neighborhood and that a nice modern glass building goes on the Jacobs lots. (Obviously contingent on the HQ being built there) 

• Like 1

I would be fine with it not blending in with what’s there. Something along the lines of that Weston Superblock rendering would be cool. Forward looking Cleveland. 

• Like 2