KJP

Cleveland: Sherwin-Williams' Headquarters

Is it possible that they could make an announcement now simply that they are staying in Cleveland, possibly identifying the site, and then will release designs etc. in the future?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urbanetics_ said:

As far as some ideas for (hopeful) physical form and design of the new HQ, I love some of these elements and concepts:

EItZOqaXYAMRLsi.jpg.5f3f14d2c3466f06e94a9bee88dfcd80.jpg

EItZOqeX0AExM72.thumb.jpg.c7b6264f8cf1a84adeb02c96f8a07c2f.jpg

Pedestrianized corridors, active sidewalks and streets, abundance of greenery, public seating areas/plazas, interaction between the architecture and public realm, etc...Really crossing my fingers that SHW/the city will pull off a campus with these features.

These look great...but they are dealing with(I believe)1.8 million square feet of office space for 6,000 employees plus 2,000 parking spaces in about 6.75 acres. I would expect you are going to have some significant height somewhere to get that amount. Whether that space is spread out or consolidated more on some part than another is to be seen. Also the idea of open pedestrian plaza and greenspace means even less room for office square footage.

I would think there would have to be at least one building over 100 meters, if not significantly more than that. I also hope if there is one building that stands out height wise, it is not a flat roof but has some taper or spire to it. 

*all just speculation at this point when it comes to what is going to actually be built in this space and all of course,

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanetics_ said:

As far as some ideas for (hopeful) physical form and design of the new HQ, I love some of these elements and concepts:

EItZOqaXYAMRLsi.jpg.5f3f14d2c3466f06e94a9bee88dfcd80.jpg

EItZOqeX0AExM72.thumb.jpg.c7b6264f8cf1a84adeb02c96f8a07c2f.jpg

Pedestrianized corridors, active sidewalks and streets, abundance of greenery, public seating areas/plazas, interaction between the architecture and public realm, etc...Really crossing my fingers that SHW/the city will pull off a campus with these features.

Perfect for the CSU campus

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toddguy said:

Well I would not want it to go anywhere else...we don't need Ohio cities stealing and poaching from one another and we do NOT need any more poaching from NYC, Chicago, and especially any sunbelt city. SW staying in Cleveland is good for all of Ohio. We need to support each other on this instead of attacking each other's cities. Save the attacks for the smug sun belt cities outside of Ohio.

HYPERLOOP!!!

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I'd like to see them do something similar to the below (from State Street Boston) with the main tower and have that architecture flow into the adjacent campus buildings.   State Street's tower is 43 stories - so slightly taller than SHW said they would go.  But something similar to the below would be a worth addition to PS:

image.thumb.png.295388db54258412990590b1199af082.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Chazz Michael Michaels said:

I'd like to see them do something similar to the below (from State Street Boston) with the main tower and have that architecture flow into the adjacent campus buildings.   State Street's tower is 43 stories - so slightly taller than SHW said they would go.  But something similar to the below would be a worth addition to PS:

image.thumb.png.295388db54258412990590b1199af082.png

I thought you didn't like glass towers?

6 hours ago, Clefan98 said:

Stop right there, this is far more than just "some" jobs. By the time they're done building it's going to reach in the thousands of new jobs - that's not a guess or speculation.

The flats and nuCLEus aren't very good comparisons either. This is a billion+ dollar development in the heart of the city. I don't believe our region has ever seen anything on this scale, it's truly a game changer.

Maybe not! The Cleveland Union Terminal project cost, brought forward to 2010 dollars, was 2.2 Billion dollars. Obviously this amount is higher in 2019.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mov2Ohio said:

I thought you didn't like glass towers?

I’m pro- tower (glass or otherwise).  I’m honestly hoping for something closer to the 40 stories on PS - State Street is new and meets that 40 stories criteria.  I might prefer something more Key Tower-esque BUT if it close to 40 stories, it’s a win whether glass or otherwise.  Apologies if my earlier comments were misleading. I thought the Brooklyn tower was appropriate for a courthouse and for PS

• Like 3

I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll be building a super modern glass tower that most of us are wishing for. Especially considering it's been mentioned that they like the Goodyear HQ design over Eatons. 

A great and fun day on UO. ( A special thanks to KJP For the great journalistic work.)  I understand it’s not quite time for the party until “shovels in the ground” but I just had to say Congrats to the CLE. I’m one of the city’s life-long  fans (keyword) that probably gets too excited at each  new rumor  about this massive project - but that may come partly  from growing up in Cleveland and experiencing some of the tough years when the city was the butt of jokes nationally - (yeah, I’m that old!) 

It’s been inspiring to see the rebirth  of the downtown and other neighborhoods of the city in recent years. I agree with those that see this as a true game changer for the city. Not just the vital numbers on actual jobs preserved and added by SW’s decision - but the optics, if you will, as a mighty new HQ begins to rise. It’ll be fun to opine and debate the design- but I’m sure we all agree that had SW left the city - it would’ve been a critical blow.  Now, instead, the Renaissance of Cleveland continues with even more energy. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

This is an incredible win for the city and region, and I think most folks on this forum have the perspective to agree that is point number one.

From a design perspective, I will wager most on this thread have stood in Public Square, looked northeast, and pictures a 1200’ tower. I know I have. That dream dies hard. So if the Jacobs lot ends up with an 11-story, 175’ building on it, a lot of people will still look at the site and picture the Ameritrust Tower. Maybe that’s just a part of Cleveland. We’re fixated on our past failures but also on our past and current successes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JSC216 said:

Outside of the building itself how transformative is this thing expected to be? Seems to be a lot of people thinking this will drive a ton of other development and boost all sorts of activity downtown. While I’m excited I think we should lower our expectations slightly. This isn’t a complete relocation, although we will be getting some new jobs. Key Tower was a massive project. It did not cause any significant spinoff and the area surrounding it is still pretty devoid of life or any street activity. No good retail/food options. My concern about the ground floor is very real when looking at newer developments elsewhere, and Cleveland’s struggling retail and rents makes things worse. Looking at Landmark and Breen it does not appear ground level activity is a huge concern of theirs, but hopefully that changes. This is extremely good news that SHW is staying, plus adding job, and I’m just as excited as everyone else. I just think we should keep expectations in check unlike we all did with Stark and others. Even Flats East has had way less of an impact than I had hoped for Old River road. Looking forward to seeing the first renderings. Hoping they keep Frankfort. 

KJP and all the other experts:

Looking at the BIG PICTURE how transformative is this project expected to be? 

And whats your BEST GUESS as to how many buildings and in what configuration of retailers, apartments, ect that you think MAYBE included in the NEW SHW CAMPUS? 

Do you think they will vacate Frankfort Avenue that bisects the Weston Lots? 

And what types of other developments MAYBE built in that area over the next 5-10 years?

An Interesting example:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/05/20/see-what-att-plans-for-its-100-million-downtown-dallas-discovery-district/

THANKS for any more additional insights that you can provide!!

Edited by Larry1962
Added ATT HQ IN DALLAS as example
  • Like 1

I don't know if I qualify as an expert except maybe at finding stuff. It doesn't mean I know anything about real estate. Sure it's transformative. Not only does it mean 2,000+ new jobs for downtown, but think about it in terms of how it affects people's psyche. As much as a major HQ leaving town hurts us emotionally, so does keeping one and adding to it. Production comes from attitude, skill and effort. Without a positive attitude, the other two conditions are less relevant.

So I learned something more today -- that SHW has had a contract to buy the Weston lots for months. While that doesn't guarantee that SHW would see that contract through to a sale and deed transfer, it does mean that SHW didn't want anyone else to have a shot at buying some or all of the Weston lots while SHW did its due diligence in the HQ+R&D search. If they found a better site, they could walk away from the contract and Weston would be free to negotiate with any other potential buyers. I don't know if SHW had a similar deal pending with the Jacobs Group for its Public Square property, but it probably did. So there's that.

Cheers folks. I'm out of town for a few days but I'll check the forum when I can.

• Like 19
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 4

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

So they planned all along to locate at the WESTON and JACOBS LOTS provided their due diligence didn't come up with any large negatives!

Thanks again!

May the FORCE be with YOU in your travels!

LOL

Edited by Larry1962
Typos
  • Like 1

some of these "urban Campuses" are no where near the urban core.  JP Morgan isn't even in Dallas.

As I said up thread, can we call the SWHQ and "corporate campus"?

The images of what @mrnyc are not - IN MY OPINION - designs that are "world class",  (You kids love that phrase)  Iconic or internationally renown.  The RC HQ looks like a ship. 

groundbreaking meryl streep GIF

These are office parks that we can see anywhere.  Regardless, of location, I am hoping SW builds a functioning HQ that will mesh with nearby buildings/neighborhoods and strengthen & diversify downtown on more than one level.

• Like 8

NEO-Trans name dropped on NPR this morning. @KJP is going viral! That's how the internet works, right?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Larry1962 said:

So they planned all along to locate at the WESTON and JACOBS LOTS provided their due diligence didn't come up with any large negatives!

Thanks again!

May the FORCE be with YOU in your travels!

LOL

So considering that SW planned for Weston/Jacobs all along despite their press releases to include out of state locals could mean that any info about what kind of buildings go up could mean anything. 

It means only that it is one of their high-priority options. They may have had other sites under contract. For this information to be truly compelling, it would have to be learned how many other sites, if any, SHW had under contract too.

• Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

19 minutes ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

Any one else notice that there hasn't been a peep out of the local news regarding KJP's SHW revelations... it's been two days now!! 

giphy.gif

Believe it or not, there was some reporting from Ideastream this morning that the PS/Weston-Citymark location had been selected. Otherwise, crickets.

• Like 2

^^Though the easiest presumption to make is the space would be converted to apartments, with the cost of construction limiting new office buildings here I wouldn't be surprised if whoever the new new owner is actually renovates at least part of the building as offices.  I believe the building is 900,000 sqft.   

Edited by Oldmanladyluck
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

Any one else notice that there hasn't been a peep out of the local news regarding KJP's SHW revelations... it's been two days now!! 

giphy.gif

Actually TV 3 had a segment on SHW and NEOtrans blog article.

• Like 4

On 11/6/2019 at 8:31 AM, JSC216 said:

What are some examples of urban office campuses? 

On 11/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Mildtraumatic said:

I guess we can throw up some examples of "downtown"-urban-corporate-campuses while we wait for the next news to come out from our phenomenal local blogger! With pictures of coarse. 

Already done a few pages back:

https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/5088-cleveland-sherwin-williams-new-headquarters/?do=findComment&comment=923606

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yanni_gogolak said:

Yes, I saw those but don't consider them downtown campuses and if you look at them close, aren't in downtown of their cities. 

Centene Clayton would fit.

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Like 1

So I think I have found the happy medium of "corporate campus" and urban high-rise.  The Tencent Headquarters in China.  

Here is a quick description I found of their Corporate Campus:  "The traditional model for corporate design places companies in a singular high-rise or in multiple low-rise buildings. The design of the Tencent Seafront Towers merges the concepts by bringing the best of both together. Dubbed the Synergy Tower, the building provides the value associated with high-rises in urban locations with the connectivity of a low-rise campus."

The video in this link gives a great look at and overview of the Corporate Headquarters. The video is Must See:  http://www.nbbj.com/work/tencent/

The materials and look can be adjusted as needed for the desired appearance, but I believe the overall concept/design is much better than a bunch of low or maybe mid-rise buildings. Those belong in a suburban location.  Plus I love the Green-Space that Tencent has on the top of each connecting bridge. Very well done and providing great views for your employees.

Tencent Headquarters1.jpg

Tencent Headquarters2.jpg

Edited by NR
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

It sure will be nice to get rid of all those surface parking lots.  They look like a missing front tooth and are a huge embarrassment.  I sure hope SW goes with a tall tower on the Jacobs site, at least taller than Terminal Tower.  This is probably the last opportunity for any really large development downtown.  It would make a bold statement and greatly enhance the Cleveland skyline.    

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

giphy.gif

WEWS website has an article today.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, math said:

NEO-Trans name dropped on NPR this morning. @KJP is going viral! That's how the internet works, right?

Actually, this is how the internet works now:

"THIS major corporation went looking for a new corporate headquarters, but the one they chose will BLOW YOUR MIND"

"Stop trying to relocate your corporation to Atlanta, move here instead"

"11 Insane reasons that Public Square is the best spot for a corporate campus"

"53 NSFW historic photos of the Weston lots- #17 will SHOCK you"

• Like 7
  • Haha 17

3 hours ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

I heard coverage from Channel 5 this morning before work.  Found the segment: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/downtown-real-estate-insiders-confident-sherwin-williams-will-stay-near-cleveland

Sounds like most of the local TV news Stations and NPR are covering it.  Just nothing from the PD / Cleveland.com 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, X said:

Actually, this is how the internet works now:

"THIS major corporation went looking for a new corporate headquarters, but the one they chose will BLOW YOUR MIND"

"Stop trying to relocate your corporation to Atlanta, move here instead"

"11 Insane reasons that Public Square is the best spot for a corporate campus"

"53 NSFW historic photos of the Weston lots- #17 will SHOCK you"

And all of them are slideshows where you have to scroll past a bunch of ads to find the next button on each side.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

I heard coverage from Channel 5 this morning before work.  Found the segment: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/downtown-real-estate-insiders-confident-sherwin-williams-will-stay-near-cleveland

Sounds like most of the local TV news Stations and NPR are covering it.  Just nothing from the PD / Cleveland.com 

No props to @KJP in that article. That’s 🐂 💩. At least they got some quality quotes from the hot dog stand guy.  E.G.:  "We're kind of light on parking already," said Edwards.  🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

No props to @KJP in that article. That’s 🐂💩. At least they got some quality quotes from the hot dog stand guy.  E.G.:  "We're kind of light on parking already," said Edwards.  🤦‍♂️ 

Good sound reporting there.  Let’s get the hot dog guy’s spin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Poison 1

25 minutes ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

"Now that the prevailing thought is that Sherwin-Williams is sticking around, the confidence is back.

"Everybody feels more positive that we're not going to have this massive amount of apartments we can't fill," said Dottore."

Perhaps Stark may want to rethink The Nucleus original version...

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Perhaps Stark may want to rethink The Nucleus original version...

that would be incredible.

I know that original design was controversial, but I loved it

• Like 6