KJP

Cleveland: Sherwin-Williams' Headquarters

healthpartners is nice yeah.

same for trivago in their booming dussseldorf port area along the winding rhine river.

also, that one, miami and shanghai are kind of riverfront ready examples.

Edited by mrnyc

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

time to take a look at a few newer urban corporate campuses?

Ive seen Trivago when visiting family.  Dusseldorf is a great city. Wouldnt it be great to incorporate Giant on PS?  One could stroll over Superior and traffic maintained

Edited by X
Please don't quote 10 pictures, it makes threads tedious to scroll through.

^ yeah -- that or i was thinking of something like giant's grass bridge stepped up from the riverfront over canal and the parking lot to huron, or maybe collision bend over canal and ontario somehow. green it up a little basically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

All are low-to-mid rise but since I'm not an engineer, I'll ask those who are...would SW require core samples for a low-to-mid rise building if they're built on pads?

Ohhh! I'll take this as an opportune time for my first post! Yes, any sort of development the engineer is going to need core samples. Civil's prefer them, Structural/Geo-technical need them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, enginerd12 said:

Ohhh! I'll take this as an opportune time for my first post! Yes, any sort of development the engineer is going to need core samples. Civil's prefer them, Structural/Geo-technical need them.

Welcome @enginerd12! An informative first post!!

• Like 3

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

2 hours ago, mrnyc said:

centene clayton

This would work of all the examples mrnyc provided for the WHD site. All the others look suburban or at least not for downtown.

• Like 2

When it comes to a discussion of an iconic vs an un-iconic building, if anyone from SW was watching the Colts at Steelers game yesterday, there were a number of shots taken from the closed end-zone at Heinz Field looking back through the open end zone to downtown. Sticking up quite prominently in those shots was the iconic PPG building.

• Like 1

For a 30+ YO building, the PPG building is iconic, but I would hope that SW settles on a design that will stand the test of time. It sounds as though that is their goal.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bjk said:

When it comes to a discussion of an iconic vs an un-iconic building, if anyone from SW was watching the Colts at Steelers game yesterday, there were a number of shots taken from the closed end-zone at Heinz Field looking back through the open end zone to downtown. Sticking up quite prominently in those shots was the iconic PPG building.

I think that is kinda the point of the discussion.  A series of low to mid rise buildings won’t be sticking up prominently from anywhere.  It’s fine is that’s what SHW decides but it’s a missed opportunity and the wrong move for the PS lot

• Like 4

Notice where Partners Healthcare campus is located in relationship to Boston’s downtown. 

None of The examples of corporate campuses posted by MrNyC appear to be in the heart of a downtown. If this is what SHW wants- the riverfront is perfect. 

• Like 3

People on this board are funny. They go from scared SW is leaving town, to excited for a 1,000 foot tower, to upset it may be built on the river, to excited it may go on the Weston lots, to upset it may not be tall enough, stressing out left and right (at least in this thread), and nothing has been confirmed. Lol.

Someone could literally post SW is moving to a suburban campus in Euclid with no backup and there will be 10 pages of dialogue about that! Lol

I like the insider view UO allows many of us. I hate when speculation runs rampant like it has here.

Edited by Mov2Ohio
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Dislike 1

Sometimes people are reasonably responding to recent posts by those insiders. Speculation and opinion is part of what makes this board fun. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, CleveFan said:

Sometimes people are reasonably responding to recent posts by those insiders. Speculation and opinion is part of what makes this board fun. 

"Sometimes" and "Reasonably" versus "Rampant speculation" are the key takeaways from the last two posts.

• Like 4

Thank you @Mov2Ohio! The “Height Over Everything” tribe are who baffle me. Especially considering the panic that has run through this thread several times over the past couple of months over conjecture that SHW might bolt entirely for another city.

I’m pretty sure whatever SHW decides to build downtown will be dramatically transformative. I love a hulking phallic skyscraper as much as the next nerd on this board, but c’mon people! 

Edited by CCC
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, CCC said:

Thank you @Mov2Ohio! The “Height Over Everything” tribe are who baffle me. Especially considering the panic that has run through this thread several times over the past couple of months over conjecture that SHW might bolt entirely for another city.

I’m pretty sure whatever SHW decides to build downtown will be dramatically transformative. I I love a hulking phallic skyscraper as much as the next nerd on this board, but c’mon people! 

I completely agree. As long as they stay in Cleveland and build downtown it will be a great win for the city. If it has an iconic highrise, then great...if it is a broader campus(hopefully built with the streetscape in mind)then great. As long as they stay and build downtown this is a win for Cleveland!(and a loss for any greedy sunbelt city that wanted to swipe SW-go OHIO!)

*and yeah I am a skyscraper geek but filling in many blocks of surface parking with a well done campus style development in the CBD will be great as well.

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 6

Skyline density is more impressive looking than height. I really like the Cincinnati skyline because it looks dense from all angles even though most of the buildings aren't even that tall. As opposed to the Cleveland and Columbus skylines which have too many gaps.

I would love to see them build on the Jacobs and Weston lots just because I hate those lots. The riverfront campus would be a lot more disconnected and employees won't get to venture out into the streets for lunch, etc. But, if that's the route they go, I won't complain about it.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, enginerd12 said:

Cool name by the way 😬

402E4AC3-949F-474C-89A8-B8FCFB93EE2B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MyPhoneDead said:

The LG Science park makes me want them to build it in Midtown now lol. 

The name LG Science Park is a little lacking though, and reminds me of this...

image.png.14e67a619eca423398f9651542ff406f.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MyPhoneDead said:

The LG Science park makes me want them to build it in Midtown now lol. 

Or just North of the CSU campus.

22 hours ago, bjk said:

21 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

For a 30+ YO building, the PPG building is iconic, but I would hope that SW settles on a design that will stand the test of time. It sounds as though that is their goal.

They have a newer "icon" (too early to use that monkier). The Tower at PNC Plaza which holds a ton of merit for it environmental / sustainable design.

Gensler_PNC_01.thumb.jpg.a3b18bce041bebdf1441807e4ab0c835.jpg

https://www.gensler.com/projects/the-tower-at-pnc-plaza
https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-design/the-tower-at-pnc-plaza-opens-as-the-greenest-office-building-in-the-world/

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Nice building but is this thread about Pittsburgh or Sherwin-Williams Cleveland headquarters?

Just daydreaming until something substantial comes along.

@KJP  Have you heard anything more from your sources as to when they will decide and announce the new location?

• Like 1

I am going to get hammered for this one...imagine if the new iconic HQ was a glass tower, but they used multicolored glass (like sunglasses or sports visors) using the Sherwin Williams color palette...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, NR said:

@KJP  Have you heard anything more from your sources as to when they will decide and announce the new location?

No, but considering they are still doing the geotech data collection, followed by a week or two of analysis, don't expect anything before that.

The above comment by me was premature. 

Edited by KJP
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

4 minutes ago, cfdwarrior said:

I am going to get hammered for this one...imagine if the new iconic HQ was a glass tower, but they used multicolored glass (like sunglasses or sports visors) using the Sherwin Williams color palette...

Yes something that would look like a giant rainbow fan with a big rainbow plaza lol. The Pride parade and celebration could be held right by it!  😉 

• Like 2

Would there be a market for a SW paint store in one of their Downtown buildings? I think that would be pretty cool. I just don't know what kind of demand there'd be for that right Downtown. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cfdwarrior said:

I did joke about this but there is no reason that a color palette could not be introduced in some way in some form. Maybe in a glass sculpture garden or plaza or in some interconnecting glass walkways(if they have to haven them)to make them more like works of art than just connections. Also in different pavements, details, etc. I think they would have to be careful to not go overboard with huge areas of multi-colored glass in the larger buildings though.  There are too many examples of that going horribly wrong(not necessarily just in glass of course). This can especially go awry with primary colors IMO. 

Edited by Toddguy

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2