Jump to content
KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Sherwin-Williams Headquarters

Recommended Posts

Okay now I'm confused too. They are saying "west of Public Square" not "ON the west side of Public Square" but the map shows it on the Jacobs lot as well. Didn't they or aren't they in the process of purchasing the Jacobs lot? or is it the Weston lots or both? 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Florida Guy said:

Okay now I'm confused too. They are saying "west of Public Square" not "ON the west side of Public Square" but the map shows it on the Jacobs lot as well. Didn't they or aren't they in the process of purchasing the Jacobs lot? or is it the Weston lots or both? 😕

Technically the Jacobs lot is west of Public Square. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ASPhotoman said:

I love how his tweet says, "No Public Square Tower", yet in his article he states no details have emerged about the height of the HQ. From what I've seen, nothing indicates there's a chance a new tower won't be built on the Jacobs lots.

 

I'm still holding out for a 30+ story tower on the Jacobs lot and a mass of 3-5 story buildings on the Weston lots that help blend in well with the Warehouse District.

I believe it will be 10-20+ story buildings on the Weston lots since they will need to include both parking and office space over the next ten years and a 30-40 story HQ on the Jacobs lot with a small amount of underground parking for the top people.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think we need to look at the Weston proposal as to what might be built. Because I'm not convinced the Public Square lot is a part of this. So picture the Weston proposal but not quite so fancy, with a very large parking structure.

Screenshot_2020-02-06-10-12-30.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Look on the previous page. ASPhotoman posted a picture from a PDF that SW published showing the Jacobs lot as part of their HQ. It's not just speculation.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SgtBarone said:

Technically the Jacobs lot is west of Public Square. 

Yes "technically" but will it have a Public Square address? 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, freethink said:

 I think we need to look at the Weston proposal as to what might be built. Because I'm not convinced the Public Square lot is a part of this. So picture the Weston proposal but not quite so fancy, with a very large parking structure.

Screenshot_2020-02-06-10-12-30.png

This would be great.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Florida Guy said:

Yes "technically" but will it have a Public Square address? 

I don’t see why not. The lot is west of Public Square but it still borders it. It would likely follow the same address conventions as Key, Terminal Tower, 55 PS, 200 PS, etc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Florida Guy said:

Yes "technically" but will it have a Public Square address? 

YES it will have a public square address.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is disappointing for now, unless they are not ready to announce everything.  They don't need both Jacobs lot

and weston both for what they announced today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL.  Clearly SHW's long awaited, but let's admit it somewhat cryptic, announcement has done nothing to end the debate and speculation with us crazies.  My feeling is they did this on purpose to torture us. 😉  Well at least we will have another enjoyable 2-3 months of debate as we read between the SHW lines before renderings are released (indeed one of our debates might be WHEN the renderings will be released).  This is all a discourse gold mine.  Hopefully the sources will keep leaking to add to the fun.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, simplythis said:

This is disappointing for now, unless they are not ready to announce everything.  They don't need both Jacobs lot

and weston both for what they announced today.

 

They will start with the HQ Tower on Jacobs lot and also build several 20+ story buildings on the Weston lots which will include both office, training, and parking.

They will then build additional office and parking spaces as required over the next ten years on the Weston lots from what I'm hearing.

EDIT:

I'm also hearing that they will be staging on the Weston lots and also may close part of West 3rd Street as they build the SHW HQ Tower on the Jacobs lot.  And then when the tower is completed they will start building on the Weston lots along Superior Avenue.

Edited by Larry1962
More details
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJP said:

Note that SHW says it doesn't plan to move the Hinckley flex space (about 250 jobs and 130,000 sf) to downtown nor any Minneapolis staff to downtown or the R&D. I find that very curious...

If the new HQ building will take almost 3 years until its available, I wouldn't want to tell my Minneapolis employees now that they'll be moving in 3 years. I would think that would lead to a situation where you lose a lot of employees in the next two years because they have the chance to look for another job close to home. And it would be difficult to hire for those openings. IMHO. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 3231 said:

If the new HQ building will take almost 3 years until its available, I wouldn't want to tell my Minneapolis employees now that they'll be moving in 3 years. I would think that would lead to a situation where you lose a lot of employees in the next two years because they have the chance to look for another job close to home. And it would be difficult to hire for those openings. IMHO. 

 

SHW has WAY more to gain from underselling this new HQ than from overselling it. Almost none of the people who will be impressed by a big shiny tower and more jobs downtown are people that SHW is worried about impressing. Their shareholders don't care. All they see is a big line item in the expense category.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

 

SHW has WAY more to gain from underselling this new HQ than from overselling it. Almost none of the people who will be impressed by a big shiny tower and more jobs downtown are people that SHW is worried about impressing. Their shareholders don't care. All they see is a big line item in the expense category.

 

Urban Ohio readers are not one of the stakeholders that SW is concerned about

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time Sherwin-Williams is settled into its new buildings, the company could have 400 additional employees in the region, and a net gain of 700 workers in Ohio, according to corporate projections.
 

From Michelle’s article. Are they expanded somewhere else in Ohio? It’s looks like 300 more jobs in Ohio but outside of the region?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cle_guy90 said:

By the time Sherwin-Williams is settled into its new buildings, the company could have 400 additional employees in the region, and a net gain of 700 workers in Ohio, according to corporate projections.
 

From Michelle’s article. Are they expanded somewhere else in Ohio? It’s looks like 300 more jobs in Ohio but outside of the region?

 

That number is most likely retail store employees - they open 80-100 new locations per year.

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weston-Geotech+crews-KJP-110219-3.jpg

 

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2020

An analysis of Sherwin-Williams' HQ news: it's just the beginning

 

Up in the 90-year-old Landmark Building, where Sherwin-Williams' (SHW) headquarters has been growing and expanding for the duration of that Art Deco beauty's lifetime, the employees' response to The Big News appeared to be less than big.

"There seems to be little to no reaction here today," said an employee in SHW's Performance Coatings Group (PCG). "I can tell you one thing, no one is throwing a party or jumping for joy."

And that seems to be the same reaction to SHW's HQ announcement today across social media or among the urbanistas on the forum at UrbanOhio. It was also my reaction -- at first.

To some, SHW's proposal appears timid. To me, it is intentionally incomplete.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/02/an-analysis-of-sherwin-williams-hq-news.html

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @KJP for your work on this.  Even if the City doesn't get a tower out of them staying, there's still plenty to be happy about with the official announcement. I officially owe you a Coke.

 

@MayDay- when's the next meet up date?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Htsguy said:

LOL.  Clearly SHW's long awaited, but let's admit it somewhat cryptic, announcement has done nothing to end the debate and speculation with us crazies.  My feeling is they did this on purpose to torture us. 😉  Well at least we will have another enjoyable 2-3 months of debate as we read between the SHW lines before renderings are released (indeed one of our debates might be WHEN the renderings will be released).  This is all a discourse gold mine.  Hopefully the sources will keep leaking to add to the fun.

Assuming the moderators will allow us to debate.   ☺️

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3231 said:

If the new HQ building will take almost 3 years until its available, I wouldn't want to tell my Minneapolis employees now that they'll be moving in 3 years. I would think that would lead to a situation where you lose a lot of employees in the next two years because they have the chance to look for another job close to home. And it would be difficult to hire for those openings. IMHO. 

This is right on the money...

 

I work for a 90,000 person telecommunications company that was involved in a massive merger 3 years ago. When the merger occurred, they relocated our HQ to Charlotte, NC. At the time, only local employees (already in or around Charlotte) were moved to the new building. The company advised everyone that head counts would remain the same and that all employees across the country would remain in their respective locations.

 

Fast forward 1 year after the merger (and new HQ ribbon-cutting)... They unexpectedly announced the move of 1,000+ offsite employees to Charlotte (affecting employees in Syracuse, St. Louis, Ohio, Florida, etc.). Large relocation packages were offered and all affected employees were given 6 months to decide whether to relocate, find another local position internally, or resign altogether. Roughly 8 months after that, a new (massive) office was opened in Austin and another 500-1,000 employees were facing the exact same situation (only this time, relocating them to Austin).

 

My point is: these decisions happen rapidly and purposely lack transparency as they affect employee morale and turnover rates. These arrangements can be reversed seemingly overnight. My gut tells me they want to keep their workforce in-tact/status quo for 3 years. As they approach completion of the new HQ, it will be time to gradually migrate at least some of the satellite locations. 

Edited by BJBaes
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

Great information @KJP  I for one am eager to hear about the potential "spin off development" you have mentioned before... 👀

 

Yes, you should be. If it comes through as awesome as it sounds, the WHD is going to be a very different place in 3-5 years. 😎 

  • Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KJP said:

 

Yes, you should be. If it comes through as awesome as it sounds, the WHD is going to be a very different place in 3-5 years. 😎 

Can we expect another great article about the WHD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should consider that Sherwin Williams may hold on to their current HQ building and repurpose all (or portion) of it for back-office functions that don't require so much proximity to the new campus;  certain of which may be fine to remain only two blocks away in these towers that SW already owns. 

 

Decentralized activities like graphic design, direct mail, tech support, and other non-critical decision making functions may be fine to remain at Landmark. 

Hanging on the Landmark leaves an opportunity for that elegant set of buildings to go mixed-use. This might work for SW rather than the presumed all-residential concept that has been floating around as an idea. SW might not (but who knows, they might) have a ready customer that massive amount of space right now or in the near future. Fractional conversion of Landmark to residential and other uses over a long term may well be a part of the SWHQ game plan

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Litt:

 

Sherwin-Williams’ new HQ should create positive ripples in Public Square, downtown Cleveland

Updated 1:29 PM; Today 1:22 PM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

 

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Sherwin-Williams Co.’s newly announced plan to build a new headquarters in Cleveland is hugely important for many reasons, not the least of which is that it could transform a parking lot wasteland that has blighted downtown for decades.

 

Of the more than 175 buildings that stood in the district in 1921, only 69 were still standing by the mid-1980s, according to an unpublished history written by local historian Drew Rolik.

 

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/02/sherwin-williams-new-hq-should-create-positive-ripples-in-public-square-downtown-cleveland.html

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Larry1962 said:

Can we expect another great article about the WHD?

 

I hope more than one article, just on the spin-off benefits.

 

EDIT: I'm glad Litt brought up the importance of good design when it comes to a new HQ, noting the ugliness and the lack of usefulness of much of the Erieview area at street level.

 

EDIT2: I was just interviewed by Channel 19 at the Superblock. While there, the reporter got a phone call from the news director that there's a press conference at 2:30 pm today at City Hall about SHW.

 

 

 

Edited by KJP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearty congratulations to Cleveland!  Special thanks to KJP and the key insiders that have worked so hard to give us as much access behind the scenes through the process. Though it's not the dream scenario many of us had hoped for with the R & D facility downtown, it's still a huge victory for the city and Northeastern Ohio area.  The death of the parking lot sea off Public Square will be an incredibly impactful optic.  Although we probably won't get an extremely tall tower, I've no doubt we will get a corporate world HQ that will attract young and future workers on an international level. It will activate tremendous energy in the western part of downtown. SW will ensure that this facility is "state of the art" for the 21st century. 

It seems clear from a logistical/staging standpoint that the main headquarters tower will be built first.  And I still think we might be quite pleased with the tower's eventual height. Even by conservative estimates - a 30 story tower  (of this nature) could easily reach 500 feet. So even though the whole enchilada didn't land downtown - still a huge win for the CLE.  And now it's official! 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJP said:

 

EDIT2: I was just interviewed by Channel 19 at the Superblock. While there, the reporter got a phone call from the news director that there's a press conference at 2:30 pm today at City Hall about SHW.

 

 

 

 

Anyone hear anything from this presser?  I tried to find online and was unsuccessful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michelle Jarboe live-tweeted from it but she stopped after just three tweets when it became apparent the mayor wasn't providing much new information. It was just a show presser.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for taking on that chore for the rest of us. Did he say anything interesting?

 

One of Jarboe's tweets said Jackson expects most of the growth to happen in Brecksville facility. That would be a bunch of crap if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...