KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Sherwin-Williams Headquarters

RISK OF CLOSURE

10 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

I hope so. All aspects of SW need to be in Cleveland proper. 

Ultimately the company will do what they want regardless. 

• Like 1

Learning more details. Some very exciting. Some not as good as they could be.

I have many more details to learn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Learning more details. Some very exciting. Some not as good as they could be.

I have many more details to learn.

Anything that you would like to share to the rest of us know-nothings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UrbanOhio forum visitors know a lot more about what's going on development-wise than probably 99 percent of Greater Clevelanders. Based on the posts in this thread in recent days, you also know more than most people what's happening. And when I get a few things confirmed (or denied), I hope we'll all learn a little bit more.

• Like 9

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

8 minutes ago, KJP said:

UrbanOhio forum visitors know a lot more about what's going on development-wise than probably 99 percent of Greater Clevelanders. Based on the posts in this thread in recent days, you also know more than most people what's happening. And when I get a few things confirmed (or denied), I hope we'll all learn a little bit more.

Much of that has to do with you. What would urbanohio be without you? You are the indespensible poster.

Edited by shack
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

I  was born in cleveland.  Since I left I used to go to the local library and read the cleveland plain dealer.  Mos t of my relatives back home in cleveland used to say that I knew more of what was happening than they did.  I this forum really lets us know what is going on in our home town. I want to thank you all for having this site.

• Like 24
  • Love 3

editorial today in Clevleand.com advocating for more transparency in details of City/County incentive package being offered to keep SW here in Cleveland.  https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2020/01/citizens-deserve-to-know-what-county-and-city-officials-offer-sherwin-williams-to-stay-in-cleveland.html

Curious what everyone's thoughts are about this.  I think some level of confidentiality needs to be had during negotiations but the end result should be made clear.  Ultimately, any property tax abatement needs signed off by School board and income tax needs approved by Council, right?  

Yeah, if the deal is made public before an agreement is in place you're just inviting someone else to one-up whatever incentives we give.  Does the PD ever ride the suburbs to make their incentive packages public knowledge?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, gottaplan said:

editorial today in Clevleand.com advocating for more transparency in details of City/County incentive package being offered to keep SW here in Cleveland.  https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2020/01/citizens-deserve-to-know-what-county-and-city-officials-offer-sherwin-williams-to-stay-in-cleveland.html

Curious what everyone's thoughts are about this.  I think some level of confidentiality needs to be had during negotiations but the end result should be made clear.  Ultimately, any property tax abatement needs signed off by School board and income tax needs approved by Council, right?  

Complete transparency gives leverage to all companies to argue for similar subsidies and breaks, and that's ultimately just a race to the bottom. I'm a firm no.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Complete transparency gives leverage to all companies to argue for similar subsidies and breaks, and that's ultimately just a race to the bottom. I'm a firm no.

Good point, and I thought of that, but most all incentives must pay for themselves.  the math is fairly basic.  If it doesn't pay for itself in 10 years, it doesn't compute.  No matter if you are a 250 person company or a 2500 person company.  If the City established clear incentives criteria for income tax and property tax based on jobs & capital investment, it would be easy for all to analyze.  Just my thoughts

• Like 2

SHW+Jacobs-Weston+lots-Geowizical1.jpg

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2020

Sherwin-Williams HQ+R&D site news may wait until next month

A curveball thrown at Sherwin-Williams (SHW) regarding its favored research and development (R&D) facility development site has forced the global coatings giant to postpone announcing where it will put its R&D and headquarters (HQ) facilities.

That's according to sources who spoke off the record because they are not authorized to speak publicly about SHW's efforts to pursue new HQ+R&D facilities.

They said SHW had been preparing to publicly announce the HQ+R&D sites this week. But when SHW's favored site for its 350,000-square-foot R&D facility on Scranton Peninsula turned sour, it began discussions with owners of alternative R&D sites.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/sherwin-williams-hqr-site-news-may-wait.html 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KJP said:

SHW+Jacobs-Weston+lots-Geowizical1.jpg

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2020

Sherwin-Williams HQ+R&D site news may wait until next month

A curveball thrown at Sherwin-Williams (SHW) regarding its favored research and development (R&D) facility development site has forced the global coatings giant to postpone announcing where it will put its R&D and headquarters (HQ) facilities.

That's according to sources who spoke off the record because they are not authorized to speak publicly about SHW's efforts to pursue new HQ+R&D facilities.

They said SHW had been preparing to publicly announce the HQ+R&D sites this week. But when SHW's favored site for its 350,000-square-foot R&D facility on Scranton Peninsula turned sour, it began discussions with owners of alternative R&D sites.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/sherwin-williams-hqr-site-news-may-wait.html 

Thanks as always KJP, especially for the news that downtown is the preferred location for the R & D - and the comments in the last paragraph  it did take me a few minutes to adjust to the new size of the massing even though I knew that was coming! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silent Matt said:

In that massing the main tower looks to be 500 feet. I know it is unofficial, but Ken, is this based on any inside info you have about it’s height? 😁

Unfortunately no. The massing is a little taller than I've heard it *might* be, but I don't want to nitpick.

• Thanks 2

This topic is being closely monitored by admins and mods and it will be locked if rules are not being followed!