KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Sherwin-Williams Headquarters

6 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Those individuals must be opposed to 200 PS and TCC too. Key Tower is pretty much the only building that doesn't block the sunlight.

Key Tower is to the north of the square.

• Like 1

Actually, this may be my favorite view of DT Cleveland. A new SW Tower would either be eclipsed by 200 PS, or fill in that gap between 200 PS and Key Tower.

Screenshot_20200517-203652_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

A little fuzzy; must be mistaking the "9" for Lumen?

Even better.

We need a photo that includes the Lumen.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Hey make them blend in so we can blur our eyes and imagine the real thing

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, w28th said:

Hey make them blend in so we can blur our eyes and imagine the real thing

Hey, Cleveland could use some bright orange buildings downtown! 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

What a fantastic idea! If SHW wants to attract the best and the brightest young minds, don't build a building that looks like the rest of the Cleveland skyline. In fact, that's one of the biggest reasons why SHW wants a new HQ tower. Their 90-year-old HQ isn't what young people want from an office environment.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

^Hey, if Moscow can get an orange skyscraper, who’s to say SW can’t cover the Earth - er, Cleveland - with orange too!😂

C5DF0D3C-B33B-48AA-BB9F-EFC3E03A0613.jpeg

That’s a cool color for sure.  Moscow is the real life sim city.  Still, I wouldn’t trade Terminal Tower for all seven (maybe eight) towers in this view.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

That’s a cool color for sure.  Moscow is the real life sim city.  Still, I wouldn’t trade Terminal Tower for all seven (maybe eight) towers in this view.

I used to work in a brown windowed office in Independence. The only thing I remember is the dreary interior- it could be 75 and blue skies but with the brown windows it looked like a storm was rolling in. Long story short,  blue and clear glass might not be sexy/unique as shiny as a colored tower but it lends itself to a good office environment.

Edited by GISguy
I think clear glass looks amazing, just wanted to clarify my point
  • Like 8

Blue looks pretty sexy on the Lumen and Hilton - I’d be fine with that for SW - especially if ithe tower is not “just” a rectangle/box  but has a tapered effect, a spire or something unique in its design lines. . Some “signature”  lighting at the top would be great. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, urbanetics_ said:

^Hey, if Moscow can get an orange skyscraper, who’s to say SW can’t cover the Earth - er, Cleveland - with orange too!😂

C5DF0D3C-B33B-48AA-BB9F-EFC3E03A0613.jpeg

I actually think that this thought would add color and life to the skyline.  It's forward thinking and would attract attention.  I believe an orange or green skyscraper would be phenomenal.

• Like 4

There was mention upthread of concerns that a tall tower on PS would block sunlight.

A reflective glass tower could mitigate that impact.

• Like 1

The majority of the tower will also not be using the entire site so it could be pushed back to the west 3rd side of the site which would help somewhat. 

I just hope the Public Square portion has some ground floor use that the public can take advantage of whether it's retail, a restaurant or something creative. Public Square buildings are so closed off to the public and this is the last piece of the puzzle to get it right. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I just hope the Public Square portion has some ground floor use that the public can take advantage of whether it's retail, a restaurant or something creative. Public Square buildings are so closed off to the public and this is the last piece of the puzzle to get it right. 

Yeah that has been a huge problem with the square and one of the reasons the north side has always felt especially dead. Hopefully they don’t make the same mistakes here. At minimum design it so that the space could be easily converted once downtown Cleveland has a better retail space market. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JSC216 said:

Yeah that has been a huge problem with the square and one of the reasons the north side has always felt especially dead. Hopefully they don’t make the same mistakes here. At minimum design it so that the space could be easily converted once downtown Cleveland has a better retail space market. 

I don't see a conservative, legacy company like Sherwin Williams having retail on the ground floor of their main building.   I feel the best we can hope for is the parking ramps include them in the designs to the west.  

3 hours ago, Cleburger said:

I don't see a conservative, legacy company like Sherwin Williams having retail on the ground floor of their main building.   I feel the best we can hope for is the parking ramps include them in the designs to the west.  

I can't find it, but I remember someone suggesting on here a flagship Sherwin Williams retail store on the ground floor, which would be totally awesome.  A Sherwin Williams museum, combined with a paint science exhibit (in conjunction with Great Lakes Science Center) would also be a fun public facing way to make the street level lively.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, CleveFan said:

Blue looks pretty sexy on the Lumen and Hilton - I’d be fine with that for SW - especially if ithe tower is not “just” a rectangle/box  but has a tapered effect, a spire or something unique in its design lines. . Some “signature”  lighting at the top would be great. 

For signature lighting, look no further than the same orange skyscraper (Mercury City is the name, btw) for inspiration. It's been nicknamed the Eye of Sauron, especially on cloudy nights when the ads are red/orange in color. While the orange glass is odd during the day, it's absolutely incredible at night with reflections of the city. Imagine Terminal Tower reflected on that. While I think any type of glass will be a welcome addition to the Cleveland skyline, I really hope we can get great lighting on whatever the form of the tower is. Cleveland already has great night lighting with the Big 3. SW without it would really stand out in the wrong way.

03c508c5a37349a409df1da83d819267.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

For signature lighting, look no further than the same orange skyscraper (Mercury City is the name, btw) for inspiration. It's been nicknamed the Eye of Sauron, especially on cloudy nights when the ads are red/orange in color. While the orange glass is odd during the day, it's absolutely incredible at night with reflections of the city. Imagine Terminal Tower reflected on that. While I think any type of glass will be a welcome addition to the Cleveland skyline, I really hope we can get great lighting on whatever the form of the tower is. Cleveland already has great night lighting with the Big 3. SW without it would really stand out in the wrong way.

03c508c5a37349a409df1da83d819267.jpg

That's just an amazing looking building.

• Like 2

Just for context, the Mercury City Tower has1,800,000 square feet and cost 1 Billion dollars when completed in 2013 - it’s nice to dream, but......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CleveFan said:

Just for context, the Mercury City Tower has1,800,000 square feet and cost 1 Billion dollars when completed in 2013 - it’s nice to dream, but......

⛈️ ⛈️ ⛈️ ⛈️ ⛈️   <---- rain

🚗 🏎️ 🛺 🚓 🚒   <---- parade

• Haha 5