KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Jacobs' Public Square Property

3 minutes ago, CLEInsider101 said:

"And it's been reported from several sources, including some I've spoken to at City Hall, that the Richard E. Jacobs Group is seeking to build a 60-story tower on this property owned by Jacobs. " - KJP 

you did in the first post......look i think it would be great to have another massive tower downtown. Just don't think jacobs is serious about leading that charge given what they have been up to recently.

You’re using a 12 year old quote, pre-Great Recession, while also saying “given what they have been up to recently”.   Are you on drugs?

• Like 1

FYI Dick Jacobs died less than 2 years after that quote. That’s how ridiculous you sound.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Poison 1

Now is not the time to be naive, Jacob's lot will be full of paint and paint thinners in the near future. I'm thinking 80 stories, or should we round that up to the closest cent?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marty15 said:

A simple Google search would’ve showed you that. 

Insider research practice 101.

Edited by ASP1984
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I noticed the other day that someone had linked this forum to the comments section on Cleveland.com. I knew it’d just be a matter of time before the trolls turned up. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

30 minutes ago, roman totale XVII said:

I noticed the other day that someone had linked this forum to the comments section on Cleveland.com. I knew it’d just be a matter of time before the trolls turned up. 

Not that they need more work, but at least the mods here pay attention to when things are going off the rails unlike Cleveland.com.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

This is gonna be like LBJ’s “The Decision”. I can’t stand it. Someone, not reliable, said SHW is leaving CLE the other day. This craziness needs to be done with. 

3 hours ago, marty15 said:

This is gonna be like LBJ’s “The Decision”. I can’t stand it. Someone, not reliable, said SHW is leaving CLE the other day. This craziness needs to be done with. 

The "craziness" is people freaking out about something they have no idea about and no control over.   You just said your source is not reliable, so why believe them?

• Like 1

The Tower City thread was locked because it drifted off into another debate over what kind of retail downtown Cleveland should have....again.

And yes, the SHW decision is just a *tad* more important than LeBron's.

Edited by KJP

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

My father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate, told me that SW is leaving Cleveland..

Sorry.. but if they did leave I would not be surprised.

Edited by PAZUZU
  • Dislike 6

All of us who want Sherwin-Williams HQ and R&D to stay downtown should be asking what the city is willing and able to do to keep them there. Please contact the mayor's office, council and even the county executive/council about this.

I write this because Digeronimo Co. and the City of Brecksville are putting on a very strong push to get both the HQ and R&D to relocate to Valor Acres, the former VA Hospital site. From what I understand from sources at Sherwin-Williams, they are taking this very seriously. I'd write a blog about this but I'm in Ukraine until next week and this needs attention before I can return and make more noise about it.

So please, write to your city and county officials. The county should be involved because they will end up having to subsidize new infrastructure in Brecksville and address the fiscal void left behind in Cleveland if SHW leaves. And an HQ at the county line likely means the loss of more residents to Summit and Medina counties.

• Thanks 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

2 hours ago, KJP said:

All of us who want Sherwin-Williams HQ and R&D to stay downtown should be asking what the city is willing and able to do to keep them there. Please contact the mayor's office, council and even the county executive/council about this.

I write this because Digeronimo Co. and the City of Brecksville are putting on a very strong push to get both the HQ and R&D to relocate to Valor Acres, the former VA Hospital site. From what I understand from sources at Sherwin-Williams, they are taking this very seriously. I'd write a blog about this but I'm in Ukraine until next week and this needs attention before I can return and make more noise about it.

So please, write to your city and county officials. The county should be involved because they will end up having to subsidize new infrastructure in Brecksville and address the fiscal void left behind in Cleveland if SHW leaves. And an HQ at the county line likely means the loss of more residents to Summit and Medina counties.

This is totally disturbing and even though I don’t live in Cleveland I will write/call/email/whatever any and all city officials to help stir the pot. It would be great for us outside Ohio if someone could list the names of appropriate people we should contact. I have no idea how this process works at SW but based on your post it seems like there have been in depth serious negotiations/discussions going on between Digeronimo & SW so this shouldn’t be news to Cleveland city officials right? I mean they must be aware and if so already on top of things with a kick ass offering loaded with incentives to make sure SW stays in Cleveland.  I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be high level established relationships between SW & Cleveland city officials, no? Maybe these are just preliminary discussions before SW issues a formal RFP?  My experience with large corporate clients in California is that this process is just part of their due diligence and I’m hoping that this is the case here with SW & Digeronimo. Otherwise this is absurd. 

Edited by sfbob
  • Like 3

Contact info is at each of the links....

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson:

http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home/Government/MayorsOffice

Cleveland City Council:

Focus on Council President Kevin Kelley, Ward 3's Kerry McCormack (ward includes downtown), and Tony Brancatelli (chairman of council's Development Planning & Sustainability Committee)

http://www.clevelandcitycouncil.org/

County Executive Armond Budish:

http://executive.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/Contact.aspx

Cuyahoga County Council:

Focus on Dan Brady who is president of the council and whose district includes downtown and Jack Schron who chairs the Economic Development and Planning Committee

http://council.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/council-members.aspx

• Like 5

Wrote to Kerry McCormack (because he's always very responsive) and council president Dan Brady. I really hope this is all negotiating tactics only on Sherwin's part...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KJP said:

I didn't want to say anything because my sources are second hand (at least) and off the record (and it's not what people here will want to hear), but Brecksville seems to think they're likely to get this...and that their main competition is not downtown but out of state.  They are also of the opinion that the UC VA more or less absorbed their site, and are not inclined to be accommodating

TBH, the way downtown is going it would  be easier to fill the SW niche downtown than it would be for Brecksville to fill the VA site.

^The parking lots in the Warehouse District gives us a good indication how hard it would be to overcome the loss of SW. Also, I couldn’t care less about filling the VA site in Brecksville. We can’t let SW leave downtown. 

Edited by Sir2geez
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

I didn't want to say anything because my sources are second hand (at least) and off the record (and it's not what people here will want to hear), but Brecksville seems to think they're likely to get this...and that their main competition is not downtown but out of state.  They are also of the opinion that the UC VA more or less absorbed their site, and are not inclined to be accommodating

TBH, the way downtown is going it would  be easier to fill the SW niche downtown than it would be for Brecksville to fill the VA site.

The out of state contention seems very strange to me.

37 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

.... They are also of the opinion that the UC VA more or less absorbed their site, and are not inclined to be accommodating

what is the "UC VA"?

They better not leave. Would be such a slap in the face to the city that helped build their fortune as the #1 coatings company in the world. But yeah, Cleveland also needs to put in some effort to keep em.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

They better not leave. Would be such a slap in the face to the city that helped build their fortune as the #1 coatings company in the world. But yeah, Cleveland also needs to put in some effort to keep em.

They wouldn't see it as leaving, and other than urbanists and downtown advocates, neither will too many others.

County government's not about to take sides, it's up to the city.

Wor

^True, the county must be impartial. However, given the southern location, that means, as KJP said, people will move into summit and medina counties--so the county would lose population, so its in the county's interest to not support a move from Downtown to a southern suburb.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

They wouldn't see it as leaving, and other than urbanists and downtown advocates, neither will too many others.

Wor

I work with county development a lot. They are definitely partial to downtown development and they do not make that a secret. However, if there is outside the county competition then they will definitely just be happy for any site in the county.

7 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Wor

Are you sure about that?

There would be an uproar if SW left Cleveland. The city should (and will) do everything it can to keep them here but it’s hard to believe they would make such a backwards decision. I hope this is just them doing their due diligence 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

There would be an uproar if SW left Cleveland. The city should (and will) do everything it can to keep them here but it’s hard to believe they would make such a backwards decision. I hope this is just them doing their due diligence 

I feel they sort of have to do their due diligence, how else could they maximize the incentives they receive?  However, it still is a reason for concern.

I emailed Dan Brady, Jack Schron, Kevin Kelley and Kerry McCormack.  Is there even a point to emailing asleep at the wheel Frank?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sapper Daddy said:

I feel they sort of have to do their due diligence, how else could they maximize the incentives they receive?  However, it still is a reason for concern.

I emailed Dan Brady, Jack Schron, Kevin Kelley and Kerry McCormack.  Is there even a point to emailing asleep at the wheel Frank?

This is definitely concerning news. I’m cautiously optimistic that emailing will show the support of the community, so I hope that the more people who reach out, the better.

Shouldn’t we also email the Downtown Cleveland Alliance folks? I feel like they would have a big say/would be big advocates for making sure SW stays in downtown....

• Like 1

I emailed Kerry McCormack and Tony Brancatelli. Losing Progressive because the city wouldn't build a parking platform was a terrible blunder. Losing Eaton because the mayor didn't put enough emphasis on helping them make the Flats site work was terribly short-sighted. Losing SW would be a real kick in the ass to all of the recent downtown renewal. 

What really concerns me is lack of political leadership here. This is a high stakes game. Cleveland cannot lose SW because its politicians were either asleep at the wheel or to incompetent to do what is necessary. 

I think our only real shot is if SW would actually prefer to remain downtown. They stay ONLY because it's what they prefer and not because the city figured out a way to keep them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I posted in this thread early this morning was also shared by me on Twitter. It got me followed by Vic Digeronimo Jr. (@vicdigjr). Based on his profile pic and many of his posts, I'm pretty sure he's not a practicing urbanist. 😉 FWIW, the county's official Twitter account also followed me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLE_Millennial said:

Don't expect much effort from Mayor Prosperity.