KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: Jacobs' Public Square Property

1 minute ago, mrnyc said:

where does the need for space come from? do they do a big hiring and expansion thing? move existing tc offices to public square? or move in minneapolis valspar offices? any guesses?

Some answers:

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2018/10/is-sherwin-williams-ready-to-paint-sky.html?m=1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

7 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Wait if this gets built, will they bring the Valspar employees over?

Unsure. I work for SW and I've heard no plans about getting rid of the Minneapolis branch. It would definitely make sense moving them over though... Because having everyone in one place would make everything more efficient.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

Unsure. I work for SW and I've heard no plans about getting rid of the Minneapolis branch. It would definitely make sense moving them over though... Because having everyone in one place would make everything more efficient.

I would imagine so though because reading KJP's article, they are packed inside the 900,000 Sq. ft. landmark tower. Building a 900,000 Sq. Ft. tower and moving the landmark employees there would put them in the same situation. I would think they keep the Landmark employees where they are, move the suburban employees to the tower along with AT LEAST the R&D Valspar employees to Cleveland (unless they are here on Hinkley Pkwy.). I would guess they'd keep enough employees in Minneapolis for a regional HQ but have the new tower serve as a space for the suburban offices along with a good portion of the Valspar employees back in Minneapolis. 

SHW shares Landmark with other tenants who occupy about 100,000 to 150,000 sf. The tenants are ID'd in my "Paint the Sky" blog: http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2018/10/is-sherwin-williams-ready-to-paint-sky.html along with other leasing details. SHW can't or won't move them out of there, because SHW has general offices in four other buildings totaling about 145,000 sf. SHW could potentially expand into another 90,000 sf on Hinckley Industrial Parkway if necessary.

Landmark is a beautiful building. But the old lady is pushing 90. It is inefficient in terms of its energy usage and in terms of floor space usage, technology and collaborative settings. I understand that SHW is a firm that holds to its traditions dearly. But a Fortune 500 company that's growing like SHW is, needs an HQ that looks forward with aspirations as much as it looks back at its achievements.

• Like 2

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Wow, just wow. SHW's board is going to have a monumental decision to make.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, KJP said:

Wow, just wow. SHW's board is going to have a monumental decision to make.

Care to elaborate??

Is it related to this?

https://investors.sherwin-williams.com/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=SWIR%2FSWIRLayout&cid=1385095276435&pagename=SWIRWrapper

Sherwin-Williams Mourns the Death of Lead Director John M. Stropki 

CLEVELAND, OHIO, May 13, 2019 - The Sherwin-Williams Company (NYSE: SHW) today announced with great sadness that Lead Director John M. Stropki passed away unexpectedly on May 11, 2019 at the age of 68.    

Mr. Stropki was elected to the Sherwin-Williams Board of Directors in July 2009 and had served as Lead Director since April 2015. He also served as a member of the Board’s Compensation and Management Development Committee and its Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee. As former Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Lincoln Electric Holdings, Inc., Mr. Stropki brought significant management, technical, manufacturing, financial and leadership expertise to the Board. His 41 years at Lincoln Electric also provided him with extensive knowledge of employee development and engagement, as well as important perspectives in leading and operating an industrial business across diverse global end markets.

“All of us at Sherwin-Williams are deeply saddened by the sudden and unexpected passing of our colleague and friend, John Stropki,” said Sherwin-Williams Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, John G. Morikis. “John was a dedicated and engaged Board member and a trusted advisor. His prudent counsel and extensive business acumen helped to make us a better company in many ways and will have a lasting impact. We will greatly miss his wisdom and guidance. The entire Sherwin-Williams family extends our deepest condolences to John’s wife, Liz, and the Stropki family.”

10 hours ago, mrclifton88 said:

Don't do this to us KJP... a clue?  a hint?  A blog?  I will accept a private message with an explanation as well 😁

Note the word, "monumental" 😉

• Like 1

Yes, I chose my words carefully. While I would prefer to publish  the article with a rendering (albeit a rendering from a couple of years ago), I will share the article without it. But that's all I'm waiting on right now. If I don't get the rendering by tomorrow afternoon, I will post the article by then. Damn near everyone in the real estate world knows this project is coming. It's the worst kept secret. So the word is going to get out. I'd prefer to share it with you all first. 😉

• Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I wish they would build this on the W. 3rd parking lots.  The Jacobs block would be better as a two or three story residential development or a park.  Another supper tall on PS will cause the place to look like a canyon.

• Dislike 1

All of this fantastical speculation can be mesmerizing for those of us who hunger to see another SUPER TALL skyscraper rise into the heaven's over Cleveland, but isn't that all this amounts to ... Mere speculation? 

If Sherwin-Williams does plan on erecting a new headquarters in the form of a skyscraper and it is supposedly the worst kept secret, wouldn't the local media have already pounced on this story like a Black panther.

The speculation does excite the senses, but that is usually all that most of us are left with here in good ole Cleveland.

😁😕😳👆

2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Honestly, I wish they would build this on the W. 3rd parking lots.  The Jacobs block would be better as a two or three story residential development or a park.  Another supper tall on PS will cause the place to look like a canyon.

Two story development on the Jacobs lot?  Or a park, right next door to Public Square?  You do realize you're on UrbanOhio, right? Urban, density, building tall on empty lots, etc.   Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Not sure how old you are, but I'm going to guess you don't remember what the block looked like when AmeriTrust and other buildings were still standing?

8 hours ago, John D. Baumgardner said:

All of this fantastical speculation can be mesmerizing for those of us who hunger to see another SUPER TALL skyscraper rise into the heaven's over Cleveland, but isn't that all this amounts to ... Mere speculation? 

If Sherwin-Williams does plan on erecting a new headquarters in the form of a skyscraper and it is supposedly the worst kept secret, wouldn't the local media have already pounced on this story like a Black panther.

The speculation does excite the senses, but that is usually all that most of us are left with here in good ole Cleveland.

😁😕😳👆

You're asking the wrong person that question. Why don't you ask my colleagues in the Cleveland media why they don't have this story? Do this: Scroll through headlines of my blog. How many of those projects have I covered that have yet to be covered by others? Yeah, I'm probably too early on some stories. But that's ok. I like learning and sharing thoughts and plans from creative minds and how the whole process determines the fate of projects. Don't you?

So..... As recently as last winter, I had just one solid source telling me that the Sherwin-Williams HQ project is alive. I sat on the story until I got a confirmation. Now I have six well-placed sources with ever-increasing detail. All are people who are directly touched by or involved with the principal aspects of this project.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Not sure how old you are, but I'm going to guess you don't remember what the block looked like when AmeriTrust and other buildings were still standing?

I do.

I used to work in one of them.

14 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

Two story development on the Jacobs lot?  Or a park, right next door to Public Square?  You do realize you're on UrbanOhio, right? Urban, density, building tall on empty lots, etc.   Lol.

A two story development downtown in general is something I would be opposed to lol.

Incoming! There is a lot to chew on here....

ameritrust-center_evan-heintges-REV.jpg

MONDAY, MAY 20, 2019

Sherwin-Williams' HQ: will it be Ohio's tallest or suburban-bound?

It appears the stakes couldn't be higher for the City of Cleveland as global coatings giant Sherwin-Williams Co. (SHW) prepares to issue a request for proposals from development teams seeking to build a massive new headquarters and research facility.

How high are the stakes? Perhaps as high as the 947-foot Key Tower or possibly more. That's how tall the 153-year-old company's new corporate headquarters could be, according to two sources. Or, considering that SHW's executives like being within walking distance of the company's research and development activities, it's possible that the new HQ and R&D facilities could both move to Cleveland's suburbs, taking nearly 4,000 good-paying jobs with them.

So the potential outcomes are an iconic new skyscraper for a growing multinational company in downtown Cleveland or the loss of thousands of jobs from a city trying to recover from decades of job losses.

Those are pretty monumental stakes.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/sherwin-williams-hq-will-it-be-ohios.html

• Like 15

Just think about all the spinoff development that a super tall might create in the wharehouse district......

Very exciting!!!!

• Like 2

I would love to have the opportunity to design Cleveland's tallest skyscraper if I were an architect 😊 Cleveland has long been overdue for a forward-looking, contemporary supertall to bless its sky.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dski44 said:

Just think about all the spinoff development that a super tall might create in the wharehouse district......

Very exciting!!!!

Totally--with a new 25 story Justice Center behind it on Superior, those surface lots would completely fill in within a couple years--plus free up the old Justice Center for repurposing into residential.  

Howabout a super tall with a cylindrical top akin to the US Bank Building in LA. It would make a nice contrast to the other buildings on Public Sqaure. And, If done properly it could have a slight resemblance to a bucket of paint.just a thought.

• Like 2

I've met with the developer of the Valor Acres in Brecksville, and they are going to push hard to get SHW relocated to their project. And I also spoke with the business development managers at a large architectural firm who heard that SHW might even be willing to consider renovating the Justice Center for its new HQ and R&D facilities. Suffice it to say, we're going to hear a lot of rumors in the coming months. All I can say is, I hope SHW takes the same amount of time to consider its RFP responses as Swagelok did -- 4 months. I don't think I could take much more than that in the rumor mill!

Hard to see why a company would want to move to the suburbs today, if part of the reason for building a new headquarters and R&D center is to attract top talent.  As the article mentions, Eaton made a move that was against the trend back into the urban core.  SWH would be wise to find a solution in the city, if possible

• Like 7

Ugh I really hope Sherwin considering a suburban location is just a negotiation ploy. I throw up in my mouth thinking of losing this many jobs to Brecksville. KJP, I know your articels are very well written to not be biased (good reporting), but did you get an impression either way from the tone of your conversations with everyone what direction this really would go? Is the consensus leaning towards somewhere in the city?

I feel they (Sherwin-Williams) know about Jacob's lot and realize what a great asset it would be for Cleveland to build on that land. It would send a ripple effect throughout the warehouse district, sparking an increased interest in development around the area. This could include added restaurant, apartments, and even condos for many of the workers working at the downtown location. Thunderbird would also be a great option for overflow with a potential to be THE PLACE to live in the coming years. With Great Lakes Brewing already placed stakes there, who could go wrong?

Edited by jbee1982
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, YO to the CLE said:

Ugh I really hope Sherwin considering a suburban location is just a negotiation ploy. I throw up in my mouth thinking of losing this many jobs to Brecksville. KJP, I know your articels are very well written to not be biased (good reporting), but did you get an impression either way from the tone of your conversations with everyone what direction this really would go? Is the consensus leaning towards somewhere in the city?

I think there's already a lot smoke and talk. But actions speak louder. And SHW's recent actions were the Jacobs lot. If there was no 2.6 acres of land available next door for R&D and parking, I would be worried that the Jacobs lot might be too constraining. So my only worry now is -- can the Jacobs Group and Weston work together in a team to land this whale? If not, I'm not sure what's Plan B.... On both sides of Frankfort between W6th-W9th? Maybe on Canal Road between Breen and Carter Road? Maybe split the site on both sides of the Cuyahoga River, with the other half of the complex on Scranton Peninsula? 

BTW, that reminds me, one of the rumors five years ago was that SHW was considering that very idea -- building a new HQ between Canal Road and the river, next to Breen. If that was an actual option, it didn't win. A management committee overseeing this HQ process back then chose the Jacobs lot. Now they're going the RFP route.

Edited by KJP

8 minutes ago, KJP said:

I think there's already a lot smoke and talk. But actions speak louder. And SHW's recent actions were the Jacobs lot. If there was no 2.6 acres of land available next door for R&D and parking, I would be worried that the Jacobs lot might be too constraining. So my only worry now is -- can the Jacobs Group and Weston work together in a team to land this whale? If not, I'm not sure what's Plan B.... On both sides of Frankfort between W6th-W9th? Maybe on Canal Road between Breen and Carter Road? Maybe split the site on both sides of the Cuyahoga River, with the other half of the complex on Scranton Peninsula? 

BTW, that reminds me, one of the rumors five years ago was that SHW was considering that very idea -- building a new HQ between Canal Road and the river, next to Breen. If that was an actual option, it didn't win. A management committee overseeing this HQ process back then chose the Jacobs lot. Now they're going the RFP route.

Do you think Jacobs and Weston can work together? It’s a lot on the line to make this work. We CANNOT have them going to the suburbs. It’d be bad for the city, bad for SW, bad all around

So when they say they want the R&D facility located close to the actual HQ, do they literally want it attached to the HQ or simply close by like it is now? Because that opens up even more options. For example, Landmark Office Towers are a fortress. I could see putting an R&D facility in there on the lower floors and putting apartments on the upper floors. And then a new tower on PS is literally a short walk through Tower City

KJP,

Do your sources know if an actual announcement is still in the immediate future?

What do they feel will actually happen, especially with regards to building on the woefully empty Jacobs parcels?

If real estate professionals are all abuzz concerning this development, I am surprised that not even the intrusive and ever knowing noses over at Scene Magazine haven't spoken on this ... They're famous for such stories.

Well, whatever comes out, I just hope that Sherwin-Williams goes ahead with a signature skyscraper near Public Square.

We are all waiting and watchful .... 😁

• Like 1