Guest grasscat

Cincinnati: Demolition Watch

On 9/24/2013 at 12:30 PM, taestell said:

With demolitions like the Friar's Club, the Schiel School, the Goetz House, and numerous homes in Corryville, the urban fabric has already been damaged too badly

I did a post not long ago about the Friars Club murals, painted by Lumen Martin Winter: http://abandonedonline.net/friars-club-murals/

The mural looked oddly familiar and evoked Classicism, Modernism Regionalism, and Romanticism styles, which I've seen in numerous other WPA-era murals in post offices and buildings, including the abandoned Armory in Detroit. In fact, I came across one in Boston last weekend which I swore was painted by Winter but was mistaken.

"While living in the now-demolished Friars Club in Cincinnati, Ohio between 1941 and 1944, Lumen Martin Winter painted murals on the walls of the residents’ lounge. The 1,600 square-foot scenes, painted in tempera emulsion on a casein ground, depicted regional highlights of industry, music, religion, and literature. Winter had labored on the murals for four years, although his work was interrupted for 18 months while he was enlisted as a chief artist illustrator for the Air Force’s Signal Corps. The murals were dedicated on November 12, 1944."

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyone here know who was able to salvage the Hudepohl art deco medallion logo, lower facade and polished stainless canopy before they started demo? Just curious if it was a private collector or if it would pop up somewhere local where i could see it again. Ive taken long exposure photos and other photos of it for years and was just curious. In other news it looks like the demo has begun, with them removing the casement windows and what salvageable metal was left as well is setting up cranes and carefully pealing back the connection to the part that looks to be staying in the back where the keg pick-up was.

16 hours ago, SleepyLeroy said:

Anyone here know who was able to salvage the Hudepohl art deco medallion logo, lower facade and polished stainless canopy before they started demo? Just curious if it was a private collector or if it would pop up somewhere local where i could see it again. Ive taken long exposure photos and other photos of it for years and was just curious. In other news it looks like the demo has begun, with them removing the casement windows and what salvageable metal was left as well is setting up cranes and carefully pealing back the connection to the part that looks to be staying in the back where the keg pick-up was.

Yes, the Brewery District CURC is working with the Port to salvage them. No current plans for reuse as of yet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, mcmicken said:

Yes, the Brewery District CURC is working with the Port to salvage them. No current plans for reuse as of yet.

Thanks much!!! glad these bits git to live on and tell their story.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 1:53 PM, SleepyLeroy said:

Thanks much!!! glad these bits git to live on and tell their story.

Demolition continues. Entry and a neon sign box were salvaged today and are in storage.

IMG_4599.thumb.jpg.d51c73e6e86779e8c8ebfaa228921e33.jpgIMG_4603.thumb.jpg.67fd32cf0ab63c0e84660d856e24a458.jpgIMG_4604.thumb.jpg.5a392e2a7597d3900bbe3cc18270b168.jpgIMG_4606.thumb.jpg.98edade75572e477d0d6ed14dfbbc427.jpg

Edited by mcmicken
  • Thanks 1

If interested and i can find the negatives I'll donate one of my night photos of the art deco entry to go with the collection of stuff. They were from before it got graffiti tagged on the stoneas well. Ive seen that H before in the background of urban explorer pics from the past just sitting up on the roof with some of the other letters. Pretty sweet finds! Is the smokestack going to be last? I'd like to try and get there to see it go.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:09 PM, SleepyLeroy said:

I always assumed it was the H from here but i guess not. Looks like a different font and smaller. image.png.fa4cd9b886028a97070dacc35dcb2ea9.png

I've been trying to find a photo of the neon that has that particular H we salvaged as well. Word from the demo guys onsite is smokestack is coming down this Friday 6/14. Conventional demolition, no implosion. 

• Like 2

^^^ Thanks Much!!! I may have to take a day off for it. I saw the one for Stearns & Foster up in Lockland come down in a similar way where they just took a chunk out of the bottom and it tipped like a tree. With the base of this one up so high and in the middle of the site this may be way more dramatic. Sad to see it go though.