Guest MayDay

Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)

By the way I am not crazy about the heart center either (I think Cosgrove has also suggested he would have went a different direction if he had been in charge at the time of its design).

Cosgrove altered the plans at one point to enhance the building,midway through construction

By the way I am not crazy about the heart center either (I think Cosgrove has also suggested he would have went a different direction if he had been in charge at the time of its design).

Cosgrove altered the plans at one point to enhance the building,midway through construction

Good thing he did this. I shudder to think how much of an eyesore it'd be had he not have taken this action.

I agree - but I do like (relative) the side wall with the slotted windows as an element to brake up the cleveland gray (does sherwin williams have a trademark on that color name yet) wall nicely.

Over all... crap.ugly.gif

It would have been nicer to have more glazing on the Euclid side, I think.  It's almost as if they are ashamed their building is fronting on Euclid, so they built a wall with little slits to peek out of.

Yeah, that thing sucks.  And you're going to see shades of the glazing part as well once people move in there.  That direct sun in the afternoon is going to make that place boil.

yea its really fortress/international style... whats the new structure they're building nearby... heh it looks like its being built a bit away from the street...

From Crain's - an update on the Global Cardiovascular Center that has been discussed in this thread (I think):

Sudow to lead TeamNEO, Cleveland Clinic initiative to recruit bio companies

By SHANNON MORTLAND

1:47 pm, August 20, 2007

Tom Sudow will lead collaboration between Team NEO and the Cleveland Clinic to attract bioscience and medical device companies to the Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center.  Mr. Sudow has been the executive director of the Beachwood Chamber of Commerce for more than five years, a position in which he has lured numerous businesses to that suburb, including more than 20 international firms. He will leave the chamber Sept. 3 and begin his new position as vice president of attraction at Team NEO Sept. 4.

More at:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070820/FREE/70820003/1007&Profile=1007

It's on the south side of Cedar Ave, across from the main CC campus.  I don't remember which exact block.

Wow, I was just gonna post that I found the answer from the WCPN story posted at http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13715.msg211882#new

but y'all are too fast!  Thanks.

This sounds like a very promising project- a good way to dominate a certain sector.  I'd be curious to understand why they're plopping it in a relatively low-visibility spot though.  Will this be the first major clinic facility south of Cedar?

Yeah, I think that this is a partnership with Fairfax's CDC, the goal being that this building can be an anchor for Cedar's redevelopment.

^Yeah, I guess that makes sense.  Just seemed like proximity to the new heart center and location on rebuilt Euclid would make for an esier recruiting sell.  Cedar's still a bit bleak.  Though reading about the latin restaurant there several months back was a heart-warmer.  Sounds like clinic employees will in fact venture out on the streets if there's something to venture out to [hooray entrepeneurs!].

Though reading about the latin restaurant there several months back was a heart-warmer.  Sounds like clinic employees will in fact venture out on the streets if there's something to venture out to [hooray entrepeneurs!].

Where?  I totally missed that.

Can't recall where I first read about it but a google search jogged my memory: discussed in a May PD Restaurant Row column: Helena's Puerto Rican Cuisine & Cafe (8933 Cedar Ave., Cleveland).  I think it's on the north side of the street though so the new Cardio biz center won't plow it under.

Seeing how poorly the Clinic has developed it's hood, I guess Cedar has the only storefronts left for this kind of business.  I hope there's room for more.

^Thanks Debbie.  Looks like it's back to the on-campus Micky D's for clinic employees.  What are the food options for Clinic emps anyway?  Is there an untapped market there or does the in-house catering and resident fast food suck it all up?

^There is the Chicago Deli and I believe that there is also some middle eastern place--both on Euclid across from the Heart Center.

I also heard that a new middle eastern rest/ grocer is going to build on Carnegie somewhere across from the Playhouse.

Thanks.  Well at least Cedarlands is [presumably] a healthy alternative to the other junk.  I hope there's plenty of room for this type of stuff [the off-site stuff], with street presence, as the Clinic evolves- the guesthouse is slated to come down someday, no?

On this week's agenda:

UCDD 08-002 – Cleveland Clinic Foundation – Demolition of the Carnegie Medical Building (former Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine)

10501-10523 Carnegie Avenue

Demolition of the 1930 eight-story stone & steel building that was occupied by the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine until 2007. The now vacant site will be converted to surface parking.

Brian Smith – Cleveland Clinic Foundation

David Krymowski – Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Carmine Russo – Cawrse & Associates, Inc.

I'm not liking this....

Oengus please stop making excuses for poor work. Functionality / Design / Good Urban Planning and connectivity do not have to be mutually exclusive.

^ the thought of another building coming down for a parking lot makes me throw up in my mouth a bit. Sometimes I wonder if these hospitals will ever "get it".

"UCDD 08-002 – Cleveland Clinic Foundation – Demolition of the Carnegie Medical Building (former Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine)

10501-10523 Carnegie Avenue

Demolition of the 1930 eight-story stone & steel building that was occupied by the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine until 2007. The now vacant site will be converted to surface parking.

Brian Smith – Cleveland Clinic Foundation

David Krymowski – Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Carmine Russo – Cawrse & Associates, Inc."

Three idiots in a row - here's what they want to demo, folks - for surface parking:

clinic1106_7.jpg

And to the right of that vantage point:

clinic1106_8.jpg

And to the right of that:

clinic1106_13.jpg

Toby can take his supposed interest in Greater Cleveland's aesthetics and cram them up his aorta for all I care.

I think someone needs to be shot for even thinking of tearing this building down. Let's see if the city has the balls to stand up to the Cleveland Clinic.

Hopefully the planning commission does and puts a stop to this BS.

City Planning approved it "with commendations."

Then what's the point of having a planning commission?

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City