Guest MayDay

Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)

The Cleveland Clinic has some strangely planned construction ambitions. The M building is the current Cleveland Clinic Pediatric inpatient hospital. That building contains most of the pediatric OR's and ICU's, so demolishing it before a suitable replacement is built would be out of the question. The 8th floor of the M building has been under construction for over a year, being remodeled into a new epilepsy unit. The ribbon cutting to officially open M80 will be Monday. The R building next door now contains the outpatient pediatric departments that moved out of the T and S buildings middle floors, still vacant since the fall of 2018 when the newly remodeled R building opened. The TT building is old and largely office space, along with the S and P buildings, so they could vacate the P, S, and TT and RR buildings fairly easily. The U building is also underutilized and takes up nearly an entire city block with the Cleveland Clinic Police Station. The Cleveland Clinic also purchased the The Cleveland Playhouse complex which is heavily damaged due to decades of poor maintenance and neglect (trust me). None of my contacts within the Cleveland Clinic maintenance departments have heard any plans for the next construction project, nor the next demolition project. Most of the Cleveland clinic is talking about the new Mentor Hospital that is supposed to break ground by the end of the year,  the closing of the TRW campus in Beachwood, the construction of Cleveland Clinic London, expansion of Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, and integrating of the recently acquired Akron General hospitals, Union HospitalMartin Health System and Indian River Medical.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KJP said:

In the coming months, look for movement on several Cleveland Clinic-related projects. There is already some visible movement starting on one of them -- the Brooks BioRepository proposed to be built at 10300 Cedar Avenue. The site is at the northwest corner of Cedar and East 105th Street.

Although context clues help me know what a 'biorepository' is, I still looked it up. Interesting.

"A biorepository is a biological materials repository that collects, processes, stores, and distributes biospecimens to support future scientific investigation Biorepositories can contain or manage specimens from animals, including humans, and many other living organisms." 

WikiP

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WhatUp said:

The Cleveland Clinic has some strangely planned construction ambitions. The M building is the current Cleveland Clinic Pediatric inpatient hospital. That building contains most of the pediatric OR's and ICU's, so demolishing it before a suitable replacement is built would be out of the question. The 8th floor of the M building has been under construction for over a year, being remodeled into a new epilepsy unit. The ribbon cutting to officially open M80 will be Monday. The R building next door now contains the outpatient pediatric departments that moved out of the T and S buildings middle floors, still vacant since the fall of 2018 when the newly remodeled R building opened. The TT building is old and largely office space, along with the S and P buildings, so they could vacate the P, S, and TT and RR buildings fairly easily. The U building is also underutilized and takes up nearly an entire city block with the Cleveland Clinic Police Station. The Cleveland Clinic also purchased the The Cleveland Playhouse complex which is heavily damaged due to decades of poor maintenance and neglect (trust me). None of my contacts within the Cleveland Clinic maintenance departments have heard any plans for the next construction project, nor the next demolition project. Most of the Cleveland clinic is talking about the new Mentor Hospital that is supposed to break ground by the end of the year,  the closing of the TRW campus in Beachwood, the construction of Cleveland Clinic London, expansion of Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, and integrating of the recently acquired Akron General hospitals, Union HospitalMartin Health System and Indian River Medical.  

It's too bad about the Playhouse.  I thought that when Explorys moved in there, the building itself might experience a little rekindling.  I'm in there pretty regularly and it just gets used for training pretty much now - no effort is being put into the building, so I don't think they have a long term plan or use for it.  Only one bathroom is being kept in usable condition.

• Sad 1

I personally only cringe when I drive past the new Dentistry building...thoughts??

Is CWRU-Clinic Health Education Campus just another big shiny box at a sprawling medical center? - Steven Litt

Today 5:00 AM

Designed by Lord Norman Foster of England, one of the world’s most famous contemporary architects, the building seems ideal for high-tech learning that emphasizes collaboration among future doctors, nurses, physician assistants and dentists.

But is it one big, shiny box too many at the Clinic?

The four-story, 477,000-square-foot Sheila and Eric Samson Pavilion is a joint project by the Clinic and CWRU located on jointly owned land at East 93rd Street between Chester and Euclid avenues. It co-houses CWRU’s School of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, and Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, which are moving over from the CWRU main campus, and the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, another CWRU program.

Despite its dual parentage, the perception will be that the Samson Pavilion – for all its fine qualities – is adding to the chilly gigantism that pervades the Clinic’s 165-acre campus, which can make patients and families feel like tiny cogs in a vast machine.

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/07/is-cwru-clinic-health-education-campus-just-another-big-shiny-box-at-a-sprawling-medical-center-steven-litt.html

Brooks Bio-repository Renderings just out for CPC July 19 Agenda:

image.thumb.png.6d8591cdbd0accb677e52dd80d23a93d.png

image.thumb.png.692c336164d545021eb8f075972e1cba.png

image.thumb.png.ef786601db9f10a4e59064fd9bff888b.png

(Credit: Cleveland City Planning Commission)

Edited by Geowizical
  • Poison 1

15 minutes ago, Geowizical said:

Brooks Bio-repository Renderings just out for CPC July 19 Agenda:

image.thumb.png.6d8591cdbd0accb677e52dd80d23a93d.png

image.thumb.png.692c336164d545021eb8f075972e1cba.png

image.thumb.png.ef786601db9f10a4e59064fd9bff888b.png

(Credit: Cleveland City Planning Commission)

This is one of the better ugly buildings. I don't see why they have gone with this theme for their  recent buildings instead of the glass design like the J building. 

Interesting that it's on the south side of Cedar. The project address previously was listed on the neighborhood Design Review at a different location. 

Edited by KJP

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

I hope it's expandable; the repository has great, even international potential. The lack of windows probably reflects the need for much of the building to have negative pressure.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

I'm interested to know what those phantom office buildings will be in the rendering, Nearly that entire block has been cleared of structures. Is all of this supposed to kick-start the Fairfax New Economy District around the Opportunity Corridor and the IBM building across E.105th?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mendo said:

Why the hell do they need to close yet another street for this projects?

Sort of the same question, but why would they site this in the middle of the block face?  Seems weird to decide now it has to be three development parcels instead of two. 

[Spelling]

Edited by StapHanger

Closing off through streets helps to keep the surrounding neighorhood at arm's length.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with why they did it.😉

• Like 2

Nice follow-up to my lead-off piece in Seeds-n-Sprouts!

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/07/seeds-sprouts-iii-early-intel-on-real.html?m=1

• Like 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Based solely on that little rendering and some earlier master plan images, looks like the Cole addition won't be filling any of the dead space immediately east or west of the existing building which is kind of a bummer. That thing has to be the most obnoxiously sited building on the whole CC campus. 

Will be interesting to see if the site for the new Neurological Inst includes the church. Have to think the CC has been trying to buy them out for a long time.

^Thanks. From that article:

The L-shaped structure will wrap around the south and west sides of the East Mt. Zion Baptist Church at 9990 Euclid Ave., Connell said.

Edited by StapHanger

I'm glad they are going to save the church.  It's really a beautiful building, and I thought it was a goner when I looked at that rendering.

• Like 2

^ Are they showing two pedestrian bridges over Euclid.  Hmm ... not sure I like the visual effect of  those; but it should reduce the jaywalking problem.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

3 minutes ago, Dougal said:

^ Are they showing two pedestrian bridges over Euclid.  Hmm ... not sure I like those; but it should reduce the jaywalking problem.

From the rendering, those two pedestrian bridges would span E.96th St to connect to the Urology and Cardiovascular buildings.

• Like 2

These 2 proposals are...better. Not great from a design perspective, but at least from a form perspective, the clinic is trying to begin some kind of cohesiveness. I give it a C.

1 hour ago, StapHanger said:

Based solely on that little rendering and some earlier master plan images, looks like the Cole addition won't be filling any of the dead space immediately east or west of the existing building which is kind of a bummer. That thing has to be the most obnoxiously sited building on the whole CC campus. 

You would have learned that from my July 11 blog, too. 😉

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

^ Are they showing two pedestrian bridges over Euclid.  Hmm ... not sure I like the visual effect of  those; but it should reduce the jaywalking problem.

1 hour ago, 3231 said:

From the rendering, those two pedestrian bridges would span E.96th St to connect to the Urology and Cardiovascular buildings.

The bridge on the right already exists. It connects the Q building thru the Intercontinental Hotel to the C building... also to the 100th street garage and the CA building

1 hour ago, X said:

I'm glad they are going to save the church.  It's really a beautiful building, and I thought it was a goner when I looked at that rendering.

I thought the same thing when I saw it 😱

The East Mount Zion Baptist Church built the A. Charles Bowie Education Building a few years ago, so it would be a shame to tear it down, and although the Church itself needs some extensive repairs, That congregation will never give up that church. I only wish the Cleveland Clinic did more to incorporate the church and the surrounding neighborhood into it's master plan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, buckeye1 said:

I believe Neurology is currently in S, one of the oldest buildings on campus, and the U building which is a former psychiatric hospital on East 89th. (https://case.edu/ech/articles/w/woodruff-memorial-institute)

.Clearing out the old spaces to make way for eventual demolition of S and T?

Neurological Institution is also over in the P Building where the Center for Behavioral Health is located

They need to demolish G.  When Metro's new hospital is done, the Clinic will definitely have the worst general in-patient rooms in the city.