Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)

^Wow, thanks!

I was just hoping to spare the wrecking ball for the playhouse and Podiatry building if possible.

(I am not sure, did the podiatry building already get leveled?)

I am not up on this one at all....Are they planning to wreck the Playhouse for more parking lots? Love the CPH building. Have fond memories of it.

[My first post!]  In regards to the Playhouse, the latest I've heard, is that they are planning to move the medical school there (from the Lerner Research Institute). 

In other Clinic news, the EE building should be razed soon and they will be starting the new reference lab by this Summer.

I saw a rendering a few weeks ago.  I'll see if I can find a copy of it somewhere tomorrow and post it.  As I recall, the renderings look similar to the new Cardiovascular Innovation Center at Cedar and 100th.

yea cool huh? he IS quite an arch pimp. One of the big world names, seriously. SO I am very very interested to see how this will play out. With this happening at the clinic there is no doubt in my mind it will soon reach recognizability many times beyond what it had in the past.

Here is a look at the 1st Hospital designed by Foster + Partners in Bath, England.  This was mentioned in the PD Article. 

http://plusmood.com/2010/01/foster-partners-first-hospital-circlebath-unveiled/

Bath looks to be much more rural than any part of the Clinic campus; but as for the interior I really appreciate the bldg being designed around a central courtyard w/  each patient provided a view of an herb/perennial garden.  Other than contact with other humans, I can't think of anything more inspiring for healing than a connect with the natural world.  Edward O. Wilson calls it Biophilia.

I think that one looks pretty rad, actually.

I stayed at the smaller Clinic Intercontinental on Euclid a couple years ago in November.  The view (over Euclid) was so, so bleak.  Pretty much zero signs of life other than the cars (of which there aren't many at night) and the HL vehicles (which did, of course, entertain me more than they would a normal person).  I couldn't help but think how depressed I'd be looking out at that if I were a patient.  I've been meaning to post photos to illustrate.  The unending gray was part of the problem (can't change that), but I'm hopeful Foster can help lessen that bleakness.

Yes, and unfortunately that is the impression alot of out of towners get, when in Cleveland for the Clinic. 

I met a lady last year that had her son there, and had great things to say about the Clinic, but what a dump Cleveland was.  Of course she was confined to the Clinic and took the prefered route to, which is the 77 to 55th street (dumpy indeed)........

I tried to explain that just to the east of there was all this great stuff and neighborhoods, but somebody in for something like that often isnt very likely to check other stuff out.   

That being said, in reviewing their portfolio more fully, it appears that some of their work is more about stand-alone pieces of starchitecture than about urban continuity (particularly when it comes to eds & meds). Hopefully, given their previous successes with master planning and given the apparent attention of the Clinic to neighborhood connectivity, this will result in a more welcoming and pedestrian-oriented campus ... but I don't know that it's necessarily a given.

They have a whole slew of Master Planning experience:

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Projects/ByType/Master%20Planning.aspx

^ I agree. Noted the same in that comment :) I'm just more concerned about their existing eds & med (just one hospital to look at) strategy, which seems much more stand-alone in nature. Hoping that their previous master planning will win out over their previous eds & med work.

I wouldn't get too worked up about that.  You have to take context into account.  That hospital appears to be built in the countryside so it's irrelevant.  I'm also not sure i really care about there adaptive reuse projects.  Honestly, what is left for the clinic to reuse or tear down?  The segelini's building and the playhouse.  I can't think of anything else that's left.  The damage has already been done.  And even though the playhouse is an important and interesting building... the siting is so incredibly bad that it can barely be seen from euclid.  I'm really more concerned with their masterplanning.  How will the campus choose to interact with the rest of the neighborhood in the future, and how can they maximize green space to soften the existing fortress within the neighborhood.

^+1.  The pedestrian activity along Euclid by the Clinic is really pretty intense in nice weather.  There's great opportunity to treat Euclid as a campus-interior corridor and not a hostile edge.  For f&*k's sake, they should at least put a Starbucks cart or something out there in nice weather starting now.  Isn't there already a hot dog cart out there?  Maybe they're afraid employees and visitors would only enjoy the outdoors to smoke.

Thanks for the welcomes.  I've actually been a member for some time, but just never posted a comment.  Anyways, sorry for the delay in posting a rendering.  I had trouble finding a copy and I've been extremely busy.  I don't know much about the building except that it'll be 136K sq ft and they hope it will be LEED certified.  Based on the drawing it appears the building will run parallel to Carnegie up to 105th street.

While I'm sure you are probably right... can't really say that from this rendering.  I mean the building actually fronts the length of the street where predominantly a surface parking lot once was.  That's a huge step in the right direction for the clinic.  I suppose anything could be on the ground floor... (though highly unlikely given their track record).

Thank God there's no streetfront shops/restaurants/cafes--true to Clinic form.

While I'm sure you are probably right... can't really say that from this rendering.  I mean the building actually fronts the length of the street where predominantly a surface parking lot once was.  That's a huge step in the right direction for the clinic.  I suppose anything could be on the ground floor... (though highly unlikely given their track record).

^+1.  The pedestrian activity along Euclid by the Clinic is really pretty intense in nice weather.  There's great opportunity to treat Euclid as a campus-interior corridor and not a hostile edge.  For f&*k's sake, they should at least put a Starbucks cart or something out there in nice weather starting now.  Isn't there already a hot dog cart out there?  Maybe they're afraid employees and visitors would only enjoy the outdoors to smoke.

Agreed on all accounts!

I wouldn't get too worked up about that.  You have to take context into account.  That hospital appears to be built in the countryside so it's irrelevant.  I'm also not sure i really care about there adaptive reuse projects.  Honestly, what is left for the clinic to reuse or tear down?  The segelini's building and the playhouse.  I can't think of anything else that's left.  The damage has already been done.  And even though the playhouse is an important and interesting building... the siting is so incredibly bad that it can barely be seen from euclid.  I'm really more concerned with their masterplanning.  How will the campus choose to interact with the rest of the neighborhood in the future, and how can they maximize green space to soften the existing fortress within the neighborhood.

True about the Playhouse building... However.. Just a thought.. Why not keep the structure and reconfigure the whole parking area....One into garage/office with street level units...and slice a new street right between it, and the front of the playhouse (lot front) and then you'd bring a pedestrian friendly setting to the structure. We've been operating in 'the damage is already done' mode for too long. The Clinic should not be dictating urban planning but since it is getting so huge in many ways, it is becoming a political force too that will get its way no matter what and at any cost.

Very happy that it appears to front the street.

Cannot believe there will be any retail given its function (lab...cannot imagine many visitors) and location.  I for one would not risk my hard earn cash to open a restaurant in that location.  When and if the Clinic starts doing "such things", Euclid and the heart of the campus makes more sense.

Probably... though it does have table 45 practically across the street, and soon to be a new hotel almost right next door.... That makes a great restaurant and 2 hotels (which means most of the clinic visitors) within a half a block.  It's not that bad of a location for some form of "retail" restaurant or otherwise.

I'm sure the new hotel he's talking about is the Tudor Arms renovation, which I think is supposed to be done next year...but don't quote me on that.  I agree with Htsguy that, for the reasons he mentioned, there's no way retail is going in the lab building.  I definitely think there should be more retail on the campus.  Personally, I think they should tear down the Guest House complex and replace it with a new hotel/retail/etc complex.  I have no idea if that's part of the new master plan (or even if the Clinic owns it).

There is some retail on the Main Campus, but it's all safely tucked inside the Miller Pavilion.

• 2 months later...

Some very interesting items on the list for this thursdays Euclid Corridor Design Review District:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2010/pdf/EC07152010.pdf

Speaking of whcih, are there any renderings of the Cleveland Clinic Laboratories.  I know they just started construcion on that project, but I have no clue as to what it's going to look like.

It's not thrilling, and it's a waste of a building slab that could be framing space as part of a new master plan... but this one was planned quite a while ago, long before Foster was hired.  And as a building, I don't think it's really that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see if I can address a few misconceptions/questions/comments

This lab deals with some nasty stuff. Like most CC buildings, there are difficulties in creating "public" places. short-term and long-term costs, security, liability, future expansion, and connection to existing facilities all prohibit a truly open and accessible space.

The most public functions, including a cafe, are located on the ground floor off the atrium on Carnegie. There is no lease/tenant space.

The building builds right up to the right-of-way on Carnegie. The form attempts to address a future "Opportunity Corridor" while prioritizing the current presence along Carnegie.

A small courtyard space is located between the existing garage and the new facility.

There is no surface lot in the project other than a courier drop-off.

The project was started long before The current master planning effort kicked off.

Perspectus Architecture did not design Legacy Village. I think someone that worked there may have done 2 fit-outs there. Their website is desperately out-of-date.

• 2 months later...

The old Brunswick Florist shop has been razed this past week. The site was for sale for 2+ million, a price not even the Clinic was willing to pay. As recent as last month, the building had a new banner put on it that said something about http://www.goldcald.com/. Googling that phrase had brought me to an incubator project for upstart businesses in Cleveland. Now the building is gone and I am real curious to know what the plan is now. It's situated between the future hotel to the east and the new Clinic Labs going up to the west. Also, across the street is the new Diabetes Center for the Clinic.

On a separate note, what is going to replace Hathaway Brown on Euclid-Chester at E. 100? At first glance, you see the center stage of the Clinic campus. You think big things from Toby Cosgrove. But then you look at what Independence Excavating is doing and it looks like a parking lot to me. Please tell me it ain't so.

^I "think" the plan for the old hathway brown space was to have a building that mirrors the JJ North offices and garage on the other side of the reflecting pool.  Or at least that is what I heard some time back.

I would love to know what happened to that little solar panel entrepeneur in the floral shop... that being said, I can say for the first building we have lost in some time... we are better off without that building it was awful.  I wonder if MRN purchased it?

I was under the impression that the Brunswick building was bought by the same people that own the hotel, but I could be wrong.  As for the 100th St site, I am not sure if there is anything planned there as of yet.  I believe it is going to be a parking lot for the time being and eventually put to a different use as part of the "master plan."  Again, I could be wrong.

^Drove by today and the old HB site screams surface parking lot to me.  Got me thinking as to when the master plan is going to be revealed.  Soon I hope.

Interesting that the old Brunswick site might be a building.  I thought it was going to be parking for the hotel.

FYI, that building was bought by tudor arms hotel, LLC.  the same group who owns and is developing the hotel (a legal entity of MRN).  It was purchased in September of 09, so I am assuming they have had plans for it for some time, and I would not be surprised if for the near term that plan is parking.

^Yep, for now a parking lot. Parking has been a problem for the Clinic for a long time; for several years they had round-the-clock shuttles running down to the municipal lots at Browns Stadium for overflow employee parking.

Contrary to popular perception, the Cleveland Clinic does not have an endless vault of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. They sure do have plans for all these surface lots, but rolling out buildings that cost hundreds of millions of dollars isn't all about writing a check. Financing is in the works, and I would estimate in five years or so the next round of buildings will be going up. In the mean time they are making the best use of the land as it fits their needs, which is sadly more parking.

^I believe the Clinic no longer shuttles people from the Muni lot now because of the new garage (and new surface lots).  Some of the other remote lots may be off-line now too.  The Clinic would really be an ideal lab for some employee parking policy innovations (cash-out options, etc), but that's for a different thread.

I can't imagine in my mind that that gigantic 4000 or 5000 car parking garage between Carnegie and Euclid by the Playhouse is full. That was supposed to relieve the Clinic of parking problems for quite some time.

When I have to go in to work at 10 am on occasion, I park on the roof of the airport clinic garage. Every other spot is taken.

• 2 weeks later...