Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)

That's also the previous version, before all of the revisions.  The roof will still be glassy but will not open (this was merely so you could look inside).

Correct the big empty space you see will be facing a new E. 100 Street cut through that didn't exist previously (just surface parking lots previously)  Otherwise the building will face the reflecting pools on E. 93rd (94th?). 

I'm sure that feature got cut - I don't see it anywhere on our publications. This is the first I've seen of that! Just where is this located at? I'm working next to the hospital.

The model is on the ground floor of Glickman Tower. Right to the left of the East 96th Street entrance.

Cleveland Clinic hates Euclid Avenue.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^even if it were closer to Euclid, there's STILL a huge lawn on Euclid---even if the "front" of the lawn is on E. 100.

I agree with KJP--the Clinic hates Euclid Ave. 

Its really unfortunate that such develop is allowed codewise....

Not really is right - i could imagine that the clinic is probably trying to create a courtyard area / "quads" / a university campus type feel.  They are probably trying to isolate the whole area from traffic, noise etc...

It's surprising (not really) that the Clinic would not remove the trees along Euclid, let the building have a greater presence on the street and position an entrance to the school across Euclid from the hospitals main entrance, since its right there.

I think the university campus-like setting is certainly part of the reasoning why the layout is set up as it is. Also, it is in line with the Clinic's 30+ year master plan developed by Foster + Partners that will include a great deal more green space as the Clinic develops and redevelops its campus. I don't think its fair to pass judgment on the layout of the building on its own, one really has to view it in the long-term master plan the Clinic has for campus; IMO anyhow (which may hold no value, of course  :wink:).

^^Re the post two above this one, which said, "[the new med school]is in line with the Clinic's 30+ year master plan developed by Foster + Partners".

I thought Foster + Partners was supposed to be some great firm. Obviously they're destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland. So, are they just an incompetent firm or just following orders from their client, the Clinic? Either way, they certainly deserve to have a blemished reputation for this crap. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Not really is right - i could imagine that the clinic is probably trying to create a courtyard area / "quads" / a university campus type feel.  They are probably trying to isolate the whole area from traffic, noise etc...

There's no benefit to patients and doctors to minimizing noise and exhaust?

Not when a window being 30' further away from a street when it's never going to be opened doesn't make a stitch of difference and windows can be easily be made to be more or less soundproof. The reason for the setback isn't utilitarian, it's purely the manifestation of an anti-urban mindset at the Clinic.

^^Re the post two above this one, which said, "[the new med school]is in line with the Clinic's 30+ year master plan developed by Foster + Partners".

I thought Foster + Partners was supposed to be some great firm. Obviously they're destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland. So, are they just an incompetent firm or just following orders from their client, the Clinic? Either way, they certainly deserve to have a blemished reputation for this crap. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland? You're dabbling a bit in hyperbole once again, aren't you? The Cleveland clinic wants a campus like setting. No, that is not the most urban-like planning, but that is what they want.  That is what they feel gives their patients the most relaxed setting in which to fight sickness and recuperate. While it may not be ideal to most people on this board, it is hardly "destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland."  Cleveland is much bigger than just the Cleveland Clinic. 

Here you can see what the layout will be. Euclid in the front; 93rd and the reflecting pool to the left, and Innova in the background.

Pic from Cleveland.com

I rode past the construction site and realized that I mistook the street on the right side of the image to be Euclid. Instead Euclid is at the bottom of the image. So, actually, I'm pleasantly surprised this building will be closer to Euclid than I thought. Of course, I would preferred to the building to be right on Euclid, but it's better than what I had thought previously.

Again, if the Cleveland Clinic was as health conscious about workers smoking as they are about clean air in general, then they would be paying to reroute the RTA Blue Line to University Circle and extend the Red Line to the city of Euclid and have them be powered by LEEDCo  -- not spending tons of money on all these new parking garages that only make their employees more dependent on cars that spew pollution and turn their workers into overweight car-potatoes who suffer from obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other ailments. Sure, smoking is a horrible health problem. So is car-dependency.

Just trying to keep the soapbox from getting dusty. :)

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland? You're dabbling a bit in hyperbole once again' date=' aren't you? The Cleveland clinic wants a campus like setting. No, that is not the most urban-like planning, but that is what they want.  That is what they feel gives their patients the most relaxed setting in which to fight sickness and recuperate. While it may not be ideal to most people on this board, it is hardly "destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland."  Cleveland is much bigger than just the Cleveland Clinic.[/quote']

Ummm....I believe the question was on the credibility or worth of Foster+Partners as a firm.

Here you can see what the layout will be. Euclid in the front; 93rd and the reflecting pool to the left, and Innova in the background.

Pic from Cleveland.com

I rode past the construction site and realized that I mistook the street on the right side of the image to be Euclid. Instead Euclid is at the bottom of the image. So, actually, I'm pleasantly surprised this building will be closer to Euclid than I thought. Of course, I would preferred to the building to be right on Euclid, but it's better than what I had thought previously.

Again, if the Cleveland Clinic was as health conscious about workers smoking as they are about clean air in general, then they would be paying to reroute the RTA Blue Line to University Circle and extend the Red Line to the city of Euclid and have them be powered by LEEDCo  -- not spending tons of money on all these new parking garages that only make their employees more dependent on cars that spew pollution and turn their workers into overweight car-potatoes who suffer from obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other ailments. Sure, smoking is a horrible health problem. So is car-dependency.

Just trying to keep the soapbox from getting dusty. :)

Yeah, I was wondering myself, for some odd reason I knew where Euclid was because of the BRT.  Didn't think the setback was that much and thought the objection was to the trees.

^^And hiding their staircases so you have to use the elevators..

Oh this, a million times over. 

They are going to freak out about McDonald's on site or someone daring to smoke a cigarette in the middle of an open field, but they expect you to take an elevator full of randomly sick people down one floor.....

Destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland? You're dabbling a bit in hyperbole once again, aren't you? The Cleveland clinic wants a campus like setting. No, that is not the most urban-like planning, but that is what they want.  That is what they feel gives their patients the most relaxed setting in which to fight sickness and recuperate. While it may not be ideal to most people on this board, it is hardly "destroying the fabric of the city of Cleveland."  Cleveland is much bigger than just the Cleveland Clinic. 

It is certainly not ideal to people on this forum, however I would guess that 90% of the business at the Clinic comes from suburban and rural areas, both inside and outside of Ohio.  I'm sure this factors into their decision.  Someone from Brunswick would not be comfortable in a setting with hyper density. 

Was thru the Clinic yesterday before the snow was too deep.  Some observations.....The Holiday Inn on Euclid looks better than expected from the renderings.  The Cancer Center also has a nice presence with it's mostly glass facade.  Could each of those buildings been better? yes, absolutely, but they aren't bad.  Also, the new Med School building for all it's critics, is very big, much bigger than I imagined.  I'm guessing it also will look better than it's renderings as it nears completion.  I do not wish to re-ignite any old debates about the merits of these buildings only giving my observations.

Was thru the Clinic yesterday before the snow was too deep.  Some observations.....The Holiday Inn on Euclid looks better than expected from the renderings.  The Cancer Center also has a nice presence with it's mostly glass facade.  Could each of those buildings been better? yes, absolutely, but they aren't bad.  Also, the new Med School building for all it's critics, is very big, much bigger than I imagined.  I'm guessing it also will look better than it's renderings as it nears completion.  I do not wish to re-ignite any old debates about the merits of these buildings only giving my observations.

It is large (the med school). It is holding four different schools: CWRU med school, CC med school (Lerner), CWRU dentistry, and CWRU nursing. Each has a quadrant of the building, with a large center common space (more or less). Research will continue to be done in other buildings on CC campus and CWRU campus, but it still has to be big enough to hold four different colleges. Naturally there are spaces they can all share (e.g., lecture halls), but there are also has to be space specific to three different trades; although, I don't think it was going to hold all four schools when first imagined (but I may be misremembering).

^ I believe the plans for the dental clinic have changed. Originally part of the HEC it was decided to build the clinic in a separate building just across Chester.  Which I am guessing would be just west of Innova. It's hard to tell what land they are looking at from the Innova site plan. Read about it below.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/10/cleveland_clinic_cwru_break_gr.html

^^Just in case not clear (I couldn't tell from your earlier post), I think the school dentistry will still be in the HEC. It's only the dental clinic that will be north of Chester, and I believe that's been the proposes site for quite a while now- it was even shown in the early massings, though wasn't labeled then.

^I am not sure about the Dental school but as explained in Litt's article the Dental Clinic was originally to be a part of the HEC.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/10/cleveland_clinic_cwru_break_gr.html

Also the location of the Dental Clinic was speculation.  As Michelle disclosed in her Innova piece there is a land swap with CWRU in the works to make it happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/02/residence_inn_hotel_added_to_r.html

• 1 month later...

Looks about how I expected it to. Meh.

Unfortunately, many times if the company that is building a hotel already knows which brand that hotel will be, the franchise requires a standard design for the hotel. That leaves developers with very little room for creativity. That's the same reason why every Hampton Inn looks exactly the same! I agree it is a bit bleh, but typical for a Holiday Inn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

From NPR -- 3:50 minute audio link as well.

Teaching Medical Teamwork Right From The Start

August 26, 2016·4:42 AM ET 

Heard on Morning Edition

Julie Rovner

There's a new building going up on the campus of the Cleveland Clinic. A very big building.

"The skylight that we're standing under will eventually cover the area of an entire football field," says Russ Saghy, who oversees construction projects for the Cleveland Clinic.

The skylight is part of the new Case Western Reserve University Heath Education campus. The joint project with the Cleveland Clinic will eventually house the Case Western Reserve University's medical, dental and nursing schools, as well as the Cleveland Clinic's in-house medical school.

When it opens to the first classes of students in 2019 it will provide an estimated 8.5 football fields worth of space and enough concrete to build a sidewalk that's 75 miles long. The cost: almost $500 million.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/26/488811721/teaching-medical-teamwork-right-from-the-start

Looking at the webcam for the CWRU medical school  https://m.oxblue.com/open/ccf/cwruhec  you will notice the space just west of Innova has been cleared and fenced off.  I wonder if ground has been broken for the Dental Clinic that will occupy that space.  I haven't seen anything from CPC  regarding the plans though.  If anyone goes by that way  let us know if you see any type of signage.

Looking at the webcam for the CWRU medical school  https://m.oxblue.com/open/ccf/cwruhec  you will notice the space just west of Innova has been cleared and fenced off.  I wonder if ground has been broken for the Dental Clinic that will occupy that space.  I haven't seen anything from CPC  regarding the plans though.  If anyone goes by that way  let us know if you see any type of signage.

I'm across from there and they have cleared the site.  I did have a plan I will see if I can dig up.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The CWRU Health Education Campus building is coming along nicely. But I was searching for a rough opening date, and found an article announcing the groundbreaking last year, which said summer of 2019. That seems crazy to me ... is this building really still 2.5+ years away from being completed/occupied/ready for students?