FrqntFlyr

Cleveland: Downtown: Playhouse Square Development and News

Guest BelievelandD

I saw that the other day, it really looks great, I hope this area can flourish in the near future and with all of the theatre arts taking place more restaurants like Bricco can erect

Today I noticed 3 workers from VIP restoration taking out some of the granite slabs from the base of the "office resource center" at 13th and Euclid.  Obviously somebody is paying for the investigative work.  Hopefully we can get some sort of formal announcement soon.

I noticed today that the Playhouse Square store has closed. It's disappointing to see yet another empty storefront along Euclid especially since this was one of the few retailers.  I'm surprised by this, I thought that Playhouse Square was attracting enough people to support a small souvenir store.

I noticed today that the Playhouse Square store has closed. It's disappointing to see yet another empty storefront along Euclid especially since this was one of the few retailers.  I'm surprised by this, I thought that Playhouse Square was attracting enough people to support a small souvenir store.

We discussed this in another thread and it's not that the store was doing that bad of business, but when touring company's come, people often buy from the tour company at a lower cost Vs.  the PS store. 

I support this business decision.  Why continue to buy goods, store them for a store that is doing marginal business, not including rent and associated costs.

http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2008/09/last_sneak_peek_the_hanna_thea.html

Last sneak peek: The Hanna Theatre is FINISHED

by Tony Brown/The Plain Dealer

Tuesday September 16, 2008, 5:50 PM

Great Lakes Theater Festival has basically shut down the Hanna Theatre to inquiring eyes until the grand reopening gala on Saturday, Sept. 20. But we sneaked in for a final look around Monday at an open house for PlayhouseSquare's ushers and the food & beverage and house management teams. AND IT'S DONE, except for a few punchlist items and a couple of patches of the gorgeous wilton weave wool carpet in the auditorium. Here are the last of the photos we'll be able to bring you until Saturday night.

More at: http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/index.ssf/2008/09/last_sneak_peek_the_hanna_thea.html

Has anyone else noticed the new Playhouse Square sign on Chester and E. 16th-ish?  It's bright red, but you can barely read that it says Playhouse Square.  Most of the sign is taken up by "PARKING".  Stupid........

The letter from Art J Falco (Playhouse Square CEO) to Broadway Series subscribers states, "Playhouse Square is at a pivotal period in its history.  On the heels of the Idea Center opening and the announcement of a robust 2008-2009 performance schedule, Playhouse Square will also experience the renovation of the Hanna Theater, Euclid Avenue's redevelopment, and the East 14th St redesign.  Combining those with exciting soon-to-be-announced projects further cements this as the time for the spotlight to be shown on Playhouse Square and its comprehensive vision."  The italics above are mine.  I love exciting soon-to-be announced projects.  I do not know if they are development projects or theatrical projects.  Anyone here have an inkling?

The letter from Art J Falco (Playhouse Square CEO) to Broadway Series subscribers states, "Playhouse Square is at a pivotal period in its history.  On the heels of the Idea Center opening and the announcement of a robust 2008-2009 performance schedule, Playhouse Square will also experience the renovation of the Hanna Theater, Euclid Avenue's redevelopment, and the East 14th St redesign.  Combining those with exciting soon-to-be-announced projects furhter cements this as the time for the spotlight to be shown on Playhouse Square and its comprehensive vision.

Hmmmm... Haven't heard anything about that...

2 ideas:

*  it could be in reference to plans to develop the surface lot East 17th & Euclid

*  it could be in reference to add condo units to the roof of the Hanna Building annex

I think it's DoD and Residential above the old office resource center and traveler's shoppe... I know they are real into adding a residential component to PHS.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of announcement of the project WELL in advance of it actually being done.

I'd still like to know more about the 14th street redesign.

Doc -- you can also cut through the Playhouse Square garage to the Bulkley Building. 

Although perhaps that takes you uncomfortably close to the Greyhound station?

I walk past the greyhound station when i get out of class on my way to the bus stop in front of the galleria, granted im pretty much in full sprint so i dont miss the bus, but it dosnt bother me at all. I can remember about 2 years ago some dude approached me when walking past the station and asked me if i wanted to buy some weed off him, and to show me it was legit he pulled something out of his pocket looking like a 3 year old used green brillo pad, the only thing i could do is laugh at the guy and walk away

the corner of chester and east 13th by the allerton building always has the smell of weed and many dudes just hanging there looking to sell...i'm not sure why the CPD doesn't do some sort of sting operation there

the corner of chester and east 13th by the allerton building always has the smell of weed and many dudes just hanging there looking to sell...i'm not sure why the CPD doesn't do some sort of sting operation there

Maybe because residents/pedestrians/business owners don't call and complain.

Walking by the Greyhound station doesn't bother me. Is the cut-through always open, or just on around show times? And you don't have to have a ticket at all to get through there?

The cut-through is almost always open.  When the garage is closed (typically after 9pm even when there's no show), you can still get in coming north from Euclid but you have to exit at the garage end in the alley between the garage and the back of the Allen theater.  Late at night when the garage is closed I don't think you can get into the garage unless you have a keycard for the garage.

I noticed on Euclid today that the building between United Way and the Travelers Shop no longer has a for lease sign. There is a small banner which says "financing made available by Great Lakes Financial." Is this where the Kent UDC is moving?

I noticed on Euclid today that the building between United Way and the Travelers Shop no longer has a for lease sign. There is a small banner which says "financing made available by Great Lakes Financial." Is this where the Kent UDC is moving?

I thought that they were moving to the corner location.