zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

2 hours ago, OC_Charlie said:

Beacon apartment tower’s facade most visually dynamic architecture in new downtown Cleveland skyline

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2020/01/beacon-apartment-towers-facade-most-visually-dynamic-architecture-in-new-downtown-cleveland-skyline.html

“The building’s facades, however, are what make it worthy of attention. Its jiggly window pattern sets it apart from the rest of the Cleveland skyline, and from a host of bland, boxy apartment buildings built in Cleveland in recent years to accommodate an influx of millennials and empty nesters.”

What is he talking about, “host of bland, boxy apartment buildings built in Cleveland in recent years”? I can only think of a few new apartment builds - FEB, Lumen, and I guess one could include One University Circle. I didn’t follow that comment. Is he comparing it to big suburban projects? And if so, why?

I also enjoyed how every picture is captioned “This is a placeholder - shoot when we have sunlight.” 🤣🤣 Check it out before it gets fixed. 

08AE4407-DA53-4E49-B6BB-C74199921D04.thumb.jpeg.3ba01d0952c99dfa04fa6b08751227ca.jpeg

• Haha 4

Looks great. But it bothers me that there are light lines connected to both ends of the A and N, but only one side of the H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why didn't they place the lit Beacon signs at the top of the building per the renderings?!!!! Was it thought to be oh too much 

for Cleveland's inferior complex sensitivities? Good Lord!

Edited by Ron Edwards
  • Dislike 4

Last night

Beacon apartments-020120.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

the Beacon looks great, but why oh why did they not follow through and put the beacon signs on top of the edifice per the renderings?  I wonder is it yet another reflection of Cleveland's renowned inferiority complex that convinced the deciders that was just too much for the CLE?  Come on Cleveland, break out of the box just a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dislike 3

On 1/29/2020 at 11:09 AM, Ron Edwards said:

Why didn't they place the lit Beacon signs at the top of the building per the renderings?!!!! Was it thought to be oh too much 

for Cleveland's inferior complex sensitivities? Good Lord!

51 minutes ago, Ron Edwards said:

the Beacon looks great, but why oh why did they not follow through and put the beacon signs on top of the edifice per the renderings?  I wonder is it yet another reflection of Cleveland's renowned inferiority complex that convinced the deciders that was just too much for the CLE?  Come on Cleveland, break out of the box just a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This comment was so positively received the first time that you felt the need to post it again, and a mere two posts later?

More importantly, we don’t even know what the current rooftop sign plans are. This thread melted down a while back because people were upset that the front doors looked bad. Fortunately someone then decided to just ask The Beacon directly and we learned they were actually still working on it. And now that entrance looks great. 

Perhaps someone who is that concerned about the roof signage could take the initiative to ask The Beacon about it on Twitter.  (I’m not on Twitter yet, so it won’t be me.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• So sorry if a repeat of the post was so disturbing, but Cleveland's inferiority complex on so many factors should be both embarrassing and disturbing after so many times, Cleveland took the lower road on the appearance of new developments.  The Luman and MOCA building are exception to that multi decade long practice.  Love Cleveland by the way, that is why I wrote about that topic in the first place.  If the failure of great vision wasn't so pervasive not once, not twice, not three, not four not five, but for at least seven decades, with a few exceptions, my question would never have been asked.   Seven decades of inferior vision versus a question asked twice.  HMM!
  • Poison 1
  • Dislike 3

I asked about the entrance before, but I just asked them on their FB page if all exterior work is complete. I'll report back once I have something. 😉 

• Like 3

^^ Looks like they're adding the new "515" signs on both sides of the doors. BTW...I never received a response from their FB page after asking if anything was left to be done on the exterior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASPhotoman said:

^^ Looks like they're adding the new "515" signs on both sides of the doors. BTW...I never received a response from their FB page after asking if anything was left to be done on the exterior. 

The lack of response must be because of an inferiority  complex.😉

Edited by Htsguy
  • Haha 4

Beacon was in the news this morning, very strange they had the owner of Society in the apt making drinks at like 7am.  My wife and I are touring this apt in a few weeks (along with a number of other properties).  Will post pictures after.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, newyorker said:

Ron does have a rhetorical point that's really stretching it to suggest Stark Enterprises would value engineer the building design based on some perceived intangible rather than something like budget.  Very few projects in Cleveland leave me saying wow.  Only recently have things started to change a bit.

FTFY. And all of this should be posted as a separate discussion in a different thread.

horse.gif

• Haha 1

Checked online availability and counted 28 available units. That comes out to ~85% occupancy. Not bad at all.

And about 60% of the available units are one bedroom, the same percentage of one bedroom units in the entire building. A good sign that 60% one bedroom and 40% two bedroom is a good rate for new downtown rental development.

Edited by tykaps

14 hours ago, tykaps said:

Checked online availability and counted 28 available units. That comes out to ~85% occupancy. Not bad at all.

And about 60% of the available units are one bedroom, the same percentage of one bedroom units in the entire building. A good sign that 60% one bedroom and 40% two bedroom is a good rate for new downtown rental development.

I thought so too, but a source at Stark said they are actually at about 50 percent occupancy with Beacon. They just aren't listing all the available units on the website. They are a "victim" of the high expectations in downtown Cleveland, where we've come to expect buildings to lease out in a year or less. When the industry generally considers it a great success to lease out in a building in two years. Ironically, I heard that from another Stark rep at a real estate panel discussion last summer.

• Thanks 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

11 minutes ago, KJP said:

I thought so too, but a source at Stark said they are actually at about 50 percent occupancy with Beacon. They just aren't listing all the available units on the website. They are a "victim" of the high expectations in downtown Cleveland, where we've come to expect buildings to lease out in a year or less. When the industry generally considers it a great success to lease out in a building in two years. Ironically, I heard that from another Stark rep at a real estate panel discussion last summer.

I’d be interested to see whether any lower priced units are not listed.