zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

2 minutes ago, CleveFan said:

Great pic! Love the Beacon in the background. More pedestrians, please! 

To do that, we would need to refurbish the May Company building with hundreds of residences, turn Tower City into a massive business incubator with some high-profile tenants, add another high-rise apartment building or two on Euclid, build a huge new Fortune 500 headquarters and research facility west of Public Square, expand the convention center, repurpose a few more old office buildings, etc etc. 😉

• Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

59 minutes ago, KJP said:

To do that, we would need to refurbish the May Company building with hundreds of residences, turn Tower City into a massive business incubator with some high-profile tenants, add another high-rise apartment building or two on Euclid, build a huge new Fortune 500 headquarters and research facility west of Public Square, expand the convention center, repurpose a few more old office buildings, etc etc. 😉

Did we miss anything here?

3 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Did we miss anything here?

Yes, a couple of things. NuCLEus and The Centennial would help add to the pedestrians but they depend on public sector financing (or a higher-rent market) that doesn't exist yet.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJP said:

I don't know man, that doesn't seem very realistic and I honestly can't see any of that happening in the near future... /s

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

15 hours ago, KJP said:

Yes, a couple of things. NuCLEus and The Centennial would help add to the pedestrians but they depend on public sector financing (or a higher-rent market) that doesn't exist yet.

Also the Browns Stadium Development/Cumberland lakefront development; a potential PHS 2nd tower on Chester/E13th and a Super MEGA but also super secret whale company that's bigger then progressive 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KJP said:

To do that, we would need to refurbish the May Company building with hundreds of residences...

With some decent retail on the street level of the May Company building.

• Like 3

That won't be a supertall. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, skiwest said:

With some decent retail on the street level of the May Company building.

I was hoping we might eventually see a scaled-down Macy's or some other urban retailer in there, but I doubt that will happen.

8 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I was hoping we might eventually see a scaled-down Macy's or some other urban retailer in there, but I doubt that will happen.

No, but some very interesting retailers are paying attention to what is happening in downtown Cleveland. It is at or close to residential population/income thresholds for certain retailers entering downtown markets.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, skiwest said:

The majority of the May Company storefronts facing Public Square ARE occupied currently. Taco Bell Cantina, Tri-C culinary, and Pura Vida restaurant are all still in operation. There might be one vacancy and it’s being used as construction office. Prospect side is 100% vacant though.

1 hour ago, KJP said:

No, but some very interesting retailers are paying attention to what is happening in downtown Cleveland. It is at or close to residential population/income thresholds for certain retailers entering downtown markets.

That's GREAT news!  How many more residents will The Luman; Beacon, TowerCity and others that are very close to opening, or will open before the end of 2020(I cant keep track anymore, what am I missing?) bring to Downtown??   Will those push the numbers above the threshold, and what is that number?

• Like 1

the 20,000 threshold and goal for 2020 is close to being met.  Per the Q3 report (link below), we are now at 18,800+ residents.  With over 1,200 units under construction, Cleveland should meet its goal in 2020.  I wonder what the next goal will be?  

https://www.downtowncleveland.com/DCA/media/DCA_Media/2019-Q3-REPORT.pdf

• Like 6

30k by 2030? It's ambitious but I thought I saw something like that on a DCA flyer/PDF in the last year.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

3 hours ago, Boxtruffles said:

30k by 2030? It's ambitious but I thought I saw something like that on a DCA flyer/PDF in the last year.

I remember seeing that number and timeline too - that number (30,000) now seems very realistic in the next decade. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ASPhotoman said:

Looks like they put a fresh coat of bright red paint on those beams...Wish they would have just painted them black to go better with the rest of the building.

No they did not!  Why would they do that?  Unfortunately the red had faded and looked pink.

Execution.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Just now, Frmr CLEder said:

No they did not!

Execution.

Just looks like it from the picture I took last week. Was comparing them and the ones just posted the red looks brand new. Hopefully I'm wrong 😛

On 11/20/2019 at 3:00 PM, marty15 said:

The majority of the May Company storefronts facing Public Square ARE occupied currently. Taco Bell Cantina, Tri-C culinary, and Pura Vida restaurant are all still in operation. There might be one vacancy and it’s being used as construction office. Prospect side is 100% vacant though.

And there is ALSO the massive amount of retail space inside the first floor between EUCLID and PROSPECT that will also be available too!

There will be some space required for the garage ramps to the upper floors interior parking areas and also some utilities space too.

Edited by Larry1962
More details

2 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

I walked in the path of this pic being taken today. I felt bad, but when I looked back the guy was still at it, trying to get the primo shot... at that point I thought it for sure was an UO friend, becuase we demand only the best here 🤣

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, ASPhotoman said:

From the Beacon's FB.... 

They're going to need to move the "515" numbers up a bit higher now!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dar124 said:

They're going to need to move the "515" numbers up a bit higher now!!

According the renderings those will be removed and there will be 515 signage on both sides of glass around the door.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.29.59 AM.png

• Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, simplythis said:

Are they going to do the signage on top of the building

I don't think any one know at this point. I have a feeling they won't. I say that because it seems like they're really marketing the views from atop the roof and having that large of signage will obstruct those views. I hope I'm wrong though.

AND

• Like 9

LOL.  I see Steve started his review with one of his pet phrases.  I think he has 4 or 5 standard lines programmed into his computer and all he needs to do is press a button to save time.

And now after reading the whole article I am very intrigued.  What were Stark's "radical constraints" other than the amenity floor.  Silly Stark boys.  Of course this could just be Litt stirring up trouble and trying to make his article more interesting.  That portion of the piece would have more credibility if he pressed the architect and spelled out specifically what he wanted included and the developer nixed.  And of course, if all this is true I am sure it resulted from the age old battle between architect and developer where one is trying to make money or cut costs and the other wants to see a certain vision fulfilled no matter what the cost.

Edited by Htsguy
  • Like 1