zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

From this photo you can see they have the glass barrier installed at the top. Most of the interior looks complete. My fingers are still crossed that they install a sign at the top and update the entrance as shown in the renderings.

• Like 5

A little Throwback Thursday action...

Demo of the previous buildings at the site (note the lack of signage on Fifth Third Center):

515 Euclid Demolition.jpg

This view technically no longer exists since the tower was constructed:

keytowerfrom515 November 2005.jpg

Construction crane for the garage component, March 2005:

beaconcraneMarch302005.jpg

Street level view of the garage, March 2005:

beaconMarch302005.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MayDay said:

This view technically no longer exists since the tower was constructed:

keytowerfrom515 November 2005.jpg

This view should still exist since this part of the garage is not covered by the apartment tower.

It's going to really suck if Stark doesn't deliver on this. They keep putting up crappy signage and it cheapens the quality work that's being done stories above it. 

the-beacon-facade-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

no way--  i like the o.g. neo-deco version. that is clean and lean and more in-style than the trumpian branding style.

ps -- i just noticed the doors. good grief they look like stark pulled them off an old school or government building.

Edited by mrnyc
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

no way--  i like the o.g. neo-deco version. that is clean and lean and more in-style than the trumpian branding style.

ps -- i just noticed the doors. good grief they look like stark pulled them off an old school or government building.

or a parking garage 😛 

If they follow through with the original design, I sure hope the lights above the door are more symmetrical - maybe it goes against the original building design, but street level, I think it'd look strange.

5 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

This view should still exist since this part of the garage is not covered by the apartment tower.

Great shot May Day!

• Like 1

the doors and the signage are trash and completely cheap in appearance - incongruous with rest of building and the quality on the inside.

very much minor and cosmetic but creates a terrible first impression.

Would make me not even want to come in the door.

• Like 5
  • Poison 1

1 hour ago, NewtoCLE said:

the doors and the signage are trash and completely cheap in appearance - incongruous with rest of building and the quality on the inside.

very much minor and cosmetic but creates a terrible first impression.

Would make me not even want to come in the door.

the office thank you GIF

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

It's going to really suck if Stark doesn't deliver on this. They keep putting up crappy signage and it cheapens the quality work that's being done stories above it. 

the-beacon-facade-2.jpg

The one on the right actually looks a little scary 

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:26 AM, ASPhotoman said:

From this photo you can see they have the glass barrier installed at the top. Most of the interior looks complete. My fingers are still crossed that they install a sign at the top and update the entrance as shown in the renderings.

That is good to read, but i would like to know the time frame. 

I think this is a good thing, development will move east.  I think in the net 4/5 years anything north of St.Clair will be ready for development and in 5/6 years anything north of Lakeside will be ready for development.  Not to mention, I feel like PHS will develop luxury housing on 14 street, going south.

I'm ready for more development!  Looks like this will be successful and more people in downtown will upgrade to different unites and people from outside of downtown will move into vacant spaces.

• Like 3

I see no reason why this building does not pre-lease very quickly. After all, there are already rumors of a second tower. Once that happens, there should be sufficient residents within walking, or fast delivery, distance of retail.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
Grr
  • Like 1

Although I think it wasn't necessary to prune the topic for critique, Its just about as impactful as constructive criticism. All bets aside, I'll just leave it as the golden gateway to Euclid.

Serious question here.   If a project is approved by the City, doesn't the developer actually have to build pursuant to those approved plans?

Apparently not. There are a number of approved features that, as of now, do not appear in the finished product. The entrance is just one.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Check the Beacon's facebook page - they just reposted a video from Dan DeRoos at Ch19 touring the rooftop patio/lounge. I'd link it, but I'm on my work computer..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Apparently not. There are a number of approved features that, as of now, do not appear in the finished product. The entrance is just one.

They posted a photo of their entrance on the beacons FB page a couple days ago and I asked if they plan on updating it. They responded "yes, keep an eye on our page for details".

• Like 5

Here's the link:

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 4

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I guess I never realized just how tall the Beacon is. The Lumen seems so much taller, but I guess it's just since it has no other bigger buildings around it really to give it context. 

This view is incredible!! Now I just gotta make friends with someone who lives there so I can see it in person.😂

I do get the whole exclusive amenity space especially since it's a luxury building, but I do wish that any rooftop space added to a new development has public use - at least a publicly accessible bar/restaurant. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

They posted a photo of their entrance on the beacons FB page a couple days ago and I asked if they plan on updating it. They responded "yes, keep an eye on our page for details".

thank the heavens! This is a must.

They cannot be selling a slice of luxury on Euclid but then have doors that look like they were excised from a Menards in Parma

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

So you invest tens of millions of dollars on construction of a new "luxury residential" high rise and open with a front door looking like that? 

I would think that Stark would have heads rolling....

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Mov2Ohio said:

We probably do have around that now. The two you mentioned, Azure at The 9, the WXYZ in the Aloft in the flats and Punch Bowl Social all have roof top bars. The May will have a rooftop bar open to the public I believe.

The May Company Building will have a rooftop restaurant/bar open to the public on the Prospect Avenue side!!  

And I also agree that we need even more rooftop bars and restaurants Downtown too!

Edited by Larry1962
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From yesterday....

• Like 5

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

On 10/31/2019 at 11:56 AM, ASPhotoman said:

the-beacon-facade-2.jpg

Those front doors I believe are the original doors to the former retail showroom and I'm assuming that it's temporarily until they completely redo the main entrance.

Edited by Larry1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didnt snap a picture, but the sidewalk in front of the entrance is closed off.  Looks like they are going to start re-doing the front entrance

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mack34 said:

I didnt snap a picture, but the sidewalk in front of the entrance is closed off.  Looks like they are going to start re-doing the front entrance

dance party GIF

• Like 1