zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

7 minutes ago, Clevecane said:

It blends in well with the street wall from this view. A little bulkier than I had anticipated, but not too shabby. 

Plus, based on updated the renderings, I can’t help but think nuCLEus will mesh very nicely with the Beacon, color and height-wise. I’m excited to see what the two will look like together from this view! (Maybe Stark had it planned since they changed the design 😂)

3 minutes ago, Garfield12323 said:

Talked to someone on the project, their projected completion date is September 30th - just a few more months left to go!

Great name.  Never noticed it before

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Boxtruffles said:

I can’t help thinking how similar it looks to the renderings in that shot!

D158DE29-AA0C-42BC-98DE-73658E9AABA3.jpeg

I wonder if they still plan to put the retro signage on top.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clevecane said:

It blends in well with the street wall from this view. A little bulkier than I had anticipated, but not too shabby. 

4A2A302F-4747-40A9-A9D3-EEE439DD65FE.jpeg

I'll say!  It looks like it's always been there already.

• Like 3

Six new 20+ story buildings in that view sure will look nice (Beacon, Lumen, nuCLEus1, nuCLEus2, City Club, Geis).

• Like 9

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

14 minutes ago, KJP said:

Six new 20+ story buildings in that view sure will look nice (Beacon, Lumen, nuCLEus1, nuCLEus2, City Club, Geis).

Is this the first we’re hearing a 20+ figure on Geis straight from @KJP? New info or conjecture?

Sorry for commenting on this thread—not sure how to quote across threads. Please advise!

• Like 4

🙈🙉🙊

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Poison 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

1 hour ago, shack said:

I wonder if they still plan to put the retro signage on top.

I sure hope so! Beautifully simple and  distinctive, and draws the eye skyward. 

Edited by CCC
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CCC said:

I sure hope so! Beautifully simple and  distinctive, and draws the eye skyward. 

It gives the building a kind of Superman comic book look. Perhaps a subtle nod to its creators.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clevecane said:

12 hours ago, KJP said:

More of my awesome iPad photoshop skills. There must be someone better than me that can do this justice. The Geis in Red is assuming a shorter building on Prospect and a taller tower on East 9th. Sorry, Clevecane, looks like AT&T will block most of your view of that one. 

357ECC0F-6AC3-48C6-8CA8-E351F727C67E.jpeg.b4c39603c9f22335e06ced2ec1400a3a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

More of my awesome iPad photoshop skills. There must be someone better than me that can do this justice. The Geis in Red is assuming a shorter building on Prospect and a taller tower on East 9th. Sorry, Clevecane, looks like AT&T will block most of your view of that one. 

357ECC0F-6AC3-48C6-8CA8-E351F727C67E.jpeg.b4c39603c9f22335e06ced2ec1400a3a.jpeg

+ The Lumen 😉

F5D4A882-593B-48E9-8245-CF4B8867E4BB.jpeg

• Like 8

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

34 minutes ago, Mildtraumatic said:

^ What's the red one?

OH. got it  Geis should be much taller. 30 stories.

“Should be” or “will be”?  I’d love for it to be taller too, but based on the info we have so far it seems most likely that it will be about 17 stories. Hopefully your optimism proves correct. 

5 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

“Should be” or “will be”?  I’d love for it to be taller too, but based on the info we have so far it seems most likely that it will be about 17 stories. Hopefully your optimism proves correct. 

Well, according to KJP...

20 hours ago, KJP said:

Sorry, no red building visible on Prospect except for a few levels of parking deck. Basically trading the old deck for a new deck.

But let's stay focused on the new shiny building at left, at least in this thread. 🙂

Speaking of this shiny new building...

Now that most of the panel coverings are off, I LOVE how this thing looks. It’s modern. It’s funky. It’s clean.

It stands out to make its own statement while merging in nicely with its surrounding buildings. Also, the effect of upward movement given by the gradient color change truly is beautiful and refreshing in a city filled with predominantly monochrome architecture. 

Overall, what a winner for our city!!

FCB4DE51-F216-460A-BADE-B3FA959D2468.jpeg

2E95853B-BFC0-47D9-BA75-84273BF5EB4C.jpeg

• Like 9

If there ever was a building that literally looks exactly like the renderings, this is it. It's almost creepy how close it looks to the renderings.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, Clevecane said:

Can't help but notice the shiny new facade on the right as well. I know its off topic but this photo really shows how impressive that glass wall really is. 

• Like 3

Also notice the new roof on the May Co.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shack said:

Can't help but notice the shiny new facade on the right as well. I know its off topic but this photo really shows how impressive that glass wall really is. 

I’ll try to take photos more often. I no longer sit in the northeast corner, so I have to lean over my colleague (and her plants) to snap photos. I’ve been relegated due south, so as soon as Thunderbird gets underway, I’m your guy! 😬

Edited by Clevecane
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

It might not peek up all THAT much but it still adds a nice little pop of height and density to the skyline when viewed from the malls. Definitely a nice new downtown addition that can be seen pretty widely from different perspectives around the city!

9C4BC7F9-B71B-4926-B2B5-0508304F87B3.jpeg

• Like 3

I was liking the rendering but now am loving reality.  It’s very distinct, it really pops.. especially when viewed on I-90E on the Innerbelt.   For being 355 feet it punches above it’s height.

• Like 1

I do enjoy al the views from a distance. The only photographs I find off are the ones that show the parking structure base. Too much of a disconnect for my taste. I do find the apartment portion very successful.

6 hours ago, dave2017 said:

I do enjoy al the views from a distance. The only photographs I find off are the ones that show the parking structure base. Too much of a disconnect for my taste. I do find the apartment portion very successful.

And this is why opinions are important.  I can understand why you (people) feel this way.  I on the other hand feel that building adds pop to the skyline along Euclid, but I feel that the parking structure with its glass adds to the corridor for pedestrian traffic.  I think the glass does a nice job of reflecting the lights at street level and makes the place feel more alive.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

View from Azure, as well as the rebranded signs in the garage. I like the garage signs’ playful use of the paneling. Almost looks like DNA test results. 

57B26708-8E5E-43DA-B7D4-52EBBCEB7965.jpeg

1A9681F4-E7C1-4345-B68C-246680ACDBCB.jpeg

• Like 4

As seen from the soon to begin Killers concert

Can't reiterate enough how amazingly CLE and the MLB utilized the malls!

20190706_210500.jpg

20190706_212258.jpg

Edited by GISguy
Added concert shot
  • Like 6

The wife and I were sitting in the Memorial Plaza (Mall A) right behind the stage when the concert started. Couldn't agree more, the Malls and convention center were the perfect place for this.

Edited by Mendo
  • Like 2

^The Killers put on a fantastic show every time I’ve seen them. Wish I could have been here for this one. I saw them in LA last year and noticed they skipped a lot of the non-coastal cities on their last tour, so glad to see them in Cleveland. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

^The Killers put on a fantastic show every time I’ve seen them. Wish I could have been here for this one. I saw them in LA last year and noticed they skipped a lot of the non-coastal cities on their last tour, so glad to see them in Cleveland. 

Well.. North Coast 😏

• Haha 2

I told my daughter the same thing last night at the Killers show..  The Malls were the perfect spot for all of this!  Take a bow CLE, youve done wonderful.....I hope the NFL is watching and will put the draft in the same spot!

• Like 1

A few night shots from yesterday! Gotta love some amazing post-Killers fireworks to light it up, and it really towers over East 4th Street, especially when seen from the Greenhouse Tavern’s rooftop.

4391EA37-3A12-41F1-BAA1-A12AEA99E453.jpeg

D6A47362-E022-4E5D-90E2-8C276D41E6CA.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

A few night shots from yesterday! Gotta love some amazing post-Killers fireworks to light it up, and it really towers over East 4th Street, especially when seen from the Greenhouse Tavern’s rooftop.

38 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

Whoa, awesome shots! Looooooving ASW!

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1