zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

2 hours ago, mack34 said:

They’re starting to peel of the wrap.... i can’t decide if it’s really ugly or really cool?!

B31A1E00-CBD0-49C0-899F-E8ADA65A89BF.jpeg

6859870F-7E1F-4F37-91D3-5EAD409D06E2.jpeg

I would reserve judgement until after the exterior is complete. Either way we're stuck with it. I just know its better than what was there before.

I still think it was a mistake not reskinning the garage to match the new tower.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

It is a bit too busy for my taste.  I would have preferred a more gradual tonal difference.  Side note. Are they ever going to remove the hideous string light wraps from the street lamps that appear along Euclid Ave!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, X said:

I still think it was a mistake not reskinning the garage to match the new tower.

I like the juxtaposition.  There is no functional reason to change and why add costs?  What value is being added?

As a developer or owner of the property, making that change is only going to be passed on to residents. Why limit your pool or target audience (of tenants)?  An owner/manger of the property would need to raise rents to pay for this cosmetic change, a change that is not needed.

I was visiting CLE this weekend and had the chance to ride the Towpath trail from Hopples to Rockside Rd and back (so cool to see that perspective of Cleveland!).  On the way back we took a few minutes to study the skyline from Tremont.  Although I was expecting The Beacon to have a bigger presence in the skyline I still think it makes an important contribution.  I really liked the panels.  They're unique and the add color and a sense of upward motion that I wasn't expecting (can anyone explain the motion I perceived?). I hope Beacon and all of the residential construction quickly absorb residents when they open.  From Public Square to CSU Euclid Ave, there's going to be a lively residential district and I'm looking forward to coming back to see it.

• Like 5

I will say that the panels have a much different look from the distance than they do in these up-close shots. I was surprised driving in on I-90 from the west this morning as to how different the building looks with most of the wraps coming off. (Wish I would have taken a pic.) I'm liking it more and more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

I will say that the panels have a much different look from the distance than they do in these up-close shots. I was surprised driving in on I-90 from the west this morning as to how different the building looks with most of the wraps coming off. (Wish I would have taken a pic.) I'm liking it more and more.

I agree with the above statement.  When I was driving into downtown, I noticed the wavy like pattern that made the building really stick out from the surrounding buildings.  Some may like it, some may not, but the fact of the matter is the building IS being built as is and it isn't going to change now.  Enjoy it!  

I like the look of the panels. And I don't mind that the garage doesn't match the tower. My only criticism is that they should've at least changed the ugly pale red beams in the parking structure. They should've repainted them in brown hues that would match the panels in the tower. 

• Like 1

I think the difference between the garage and tower looks a bit odd. The panels somewhat remind me of the paneling from the 1960/70s that didn’t age well. I fear the same thing happening here. Glad to have the building though!

That view definitely gives it a different vibe......I'm still waiting till its done to figure out what camp I'm in, but it will get people talking, thats for sure!

Just now, mack34 said:

That view definitely gives it a different vibe......I'm still waiting till its done to figure out what camp I'm in, but it will get people talking, thats for sure!

I'm kinda liking that...are those white panels permanent I wonder?  Don't recall seeing this panel schematic in the renderings, but I like how this looks at least today that is.

Edited by Oxford19

Was driving up 176 today and across the inner belt bridge and it gives me a wavy pattern from the distance and even in the pics above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mack34 said:

No, the white is still the wrap

Dang, I like the wrap that’s left on this building lol.

3 hours ago, Mov2Ohio said:

Was driving up 176 today and across the inner belt bridge and it gives me a wavy pattern from the distance and even in the pics above.

Yes, a definite wavy pattern in this pic; almost looks like the pic is fuzzy.

The undulating skin, when complete, will create a sense of upward motion as it gets lighter on the upper floors. Ultimately, the undulating motion and graduation from dark at the street level to lighter as the building meets the sky will make the building appear taller than it actually is. This building will really make its presence know in the skyline.

• Like 1

The Beacon looking very contemporary with its wavy vertical lines reaching upward - a very nice addition to the skyline beyond left field as seen during today’s Indians-Yankees broadcast. 

FWIW: Spoke with somebody whose brother has a friend that is doing window and panel caulking

at the beacon. According to the caulkers the building is already slightly leaning a couple of degrees.

Is this Normal? Is this possible 2 years after construction started on top of the garage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

18 hours ago, simplythis said:

FWIW: Spoke with somebody whose brother has a friend that is doing window and panel caulking

at the beacon. According to the caulkers the building is already slightly leaning a couple of degrees.

Is this Normal? Is this possible 2 years after construction started on top of the garage?

That would be a catastrophic situation like the one in San Francisco;  https://www.businessinsider.com/is-millennium-tower-safe-still-leaning-sinking-2017-9

^ now that is a fun angle!

i am liking the panels. it is sweeping and eye catching, but in a good, muted way.

not sure how it will look at street level vs the old parking garage base though. i totally agree that the costs of replacing garage glass and matching it up probably were not worth it to pass along to the residents. it seems a strange and unavoidable mismatch, but  it could just as well turn out to be funky and cool looking in a good way, so maybe lets give it a break for now and reserve judgement on that until its done.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

^ now that is a fun angle!

i am liking the panels. it is sweeping and eye catching, but in a good, muted way.

not sure how it will look at street level vs the old parking garage base though. i totally agree that the costs of replacing garage glass and matching it up probably were not worth it to pass along to the residents. it seems a strange and unavoidable mismatch, but  it could just as well turn out to be funky and cool looking in a good way, so maybe lets give it a break for now and reserve judgement on that until its done.

Only at street level. From most angles the garage is obscured  by other buildings so it doesn't bother me in most cases.

1 hour ago, shack said:

Only at street level. From most angles the garage is obscured  by other buildings so it doesn't bother me in most cases.

I live next door. It bothers me, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was very skeptical of this design concept when I saw it in the drawings. Now that I see it in the flesh I am very impressed with it, especially from street level.  The architectural ideal of changing the color of a building from dark to light as it rises goes back to the 1920's sky scraper ear. There are quite a few buildings from that era that changed the ratio of dark and light bricks so that the base of the building was graduated to a lighter top to draw the gaze skyward. 

This panel system is a very effective way to do that and I think it works well.

Congratulations Cleveland!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shack said:

The most unusual aspect of this building are the winged corners. Not sure what to make of it.

It definitely plays into the movement aspect- reminds me of like a rubix cube or something (my mind's failing me on something more creative/artistic right now haha).

6 hours ago, GISguy said:

It definitely plays into the movement aspect- reminds me of like a rubix cube or something (my mind's failing me on something more creative/artistic right now haha).

The shifting movement is more lateral than vertical as some have posted. The lighter color scheme  give it a more vertical aspect. So there's kind of a balancing between the two. I don't care for the plastic look of the colored tiles. I was expecting a more metallic, coppery luster from the renderings.  

• Like 1