zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

9 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

I personally think they dropped the ball on the color. Way too much browns/red on that side of Euclid to begin with. Should have designed it to really stand out. I would have loved to see something like below. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.36.23 PM.png

I agree. Too many beige buildings in downtown. Maybe the reflectivity of the panels will play with the sun/moon/sky/night lights to create differing looks.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ASP1984 said:

Yeah, fair concern. Just ready for anyone to attempt something other than the typical brown/grey.

At least we got the Lumen coming up! I'm a fan of the dark-blue all-glass buildings. The Lumen and the Hilton Cleveland Downtown have very similar styles in my opinion

• Like 2

I might be wrong but the panels appear to have a reflective quality.  I am reserving judgement on the buildings skin to change with the sky's color.

There is a similar looking building in lower Manhattan that has a more vibrant color scheme. 

lower Manhatten.jpg

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Its going to be so interesting to see how the panels get lighter at the top!  Nice job cropping out the parking sea...  If nuCLEus gets built this image will look pretty dense 😉 

• Like 1

I remember what that view looked like before Gateway was built and a sea of parking lots dominated the South side of downtown even bigger than those in the Warehouse District lots. So I am grateful that the scene is denser than it was when I started becoming an urban development fan.

• Like 6

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Does anyone have the ability to insert the new nuCLEus renderings into that photo? I would love to see what its going to look like from that angle.

• Like 2

Just now, mrclifton88 said:

IMG_9556.thumb.JPG.1bc86aa46351c9ba1ee73b035e0338d9.JPGIMG_9557.thumb.JPG.09944b30f237b495f2f662d25eb9f8a0.JPG

Seeing it in person- I think it will look pretty sharp especially once the colors starts changing up the tower.  

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.... didn't mean to do it that way! 🤬

Edited by mrclifton88

On 3/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Terdolph said:

That must be the University of Washington Husky building.

thats the infamous william beaver building. i kid you not its called the william beaver. its a hideous horror, but at least squirreled away out of sight and mind downtown. you cant miss it in an airplane though unfortunately. 

• Haha 1

I've been supportive of the color scheme, but one thing I noticed today is that it blends so well with the BP building that Beacon will be invisible from the east.

57 minutes ago, 327 said:

I've been supportive of the color scheme, but one thing I noticed today is that it blends so well with the BP building that Beacon will be invisible from the east.

That's been my gripe since I first saw the panels go up...it blends in WAY too much.

2 hours ago, 327 said:

Do recall that the color scheme gets significantly lighter as it reaches the top. I agree that the base will definitely blend near the bottom (as it clearly has) but I believe from a distance that it will definitely differentiate from the BP building. Or at least that's my hope 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KFM44107 said:

Do recall that the color scheme gets significantly lighter as it reaches the top. I agree that the base will definitely blend near the bottom (as it clearly has) but I believe from a distance that it will definitely differentiate from the BP building. Or at least that's my hope 

Exactly. Only the base should blend in. The upper floors have a much more vibrant color.

• Like 2

^40+ years?  Poor Crittendon Court gets no love or respect.  Maybe because it was so poorly executed.

Depends on one's definition of "high-rise" I guess.

• Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

7 minutes ago, KJP said:

Depends on one's definition of "high-rise" I guess.

CC is eighteen floors.  Isn't Beacon nineteen floors without the garage pedestal?

I'm only 3 feet tall without my legs. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KJP said:

I'm only 3 feet tall without my legs. 🙂

Smart a$$😛  In the city club apartment thread YOU define high rise as 10-20 stories.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Smart a$$😛  In the city club apartment thread YOU define high rise as 10-20 stories.

Yeah well, next week I'll probably have yet another definition. 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 3

What's the pattern for the exterior tiles? Is there one? They aren't alternating.

7 hours ago, KJP said:

That parking garage two lots to the left is looking pretty barren all of a sudden. Might be time to put another Beacon up.

With a parking garage of that design i'm afraid there's not much you could do with going vertical unless you add another deck of parking that flattens everything out

I hope they paint those ugly pinkish-red beams in the parking garage so that they match with the brown-hued color scheme (which I actually like).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KJP said:

Am I the only person who saw this pic and thought "this could have almost been the view from NuCLEus..." 😞

I can't wait for this building to be finished and light up so birds can fly into it! 😝

It would be cool if they could add development above the 5th street arcades to kind of balance the street out.

10 hours ago, Ruken said:

Have we gotten pricing info on the rent?

I called them. The rent is ridiculous. It starts at $1700/month and goes all the way up to over $4K/month. I would have considered moving there if a single-bedroom unit was around $1400/month, but $1700 is insane.

18 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

I called them. The rent is ridiculous. It starts at $1700/month and goes all the way up to over $4K/month. I would have considered moving there if a single-bedroom unit was around $1400/month, but $1700 is insane.

Not really.  If you guys want amenity laden new construction in Cleveland (like everybody on this board is screaming for) those prices are just about right (probably a little more than $2 per square foot).  Apparently that is the bottom line for new construction (especially high rise) even in a city like Cleveland.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Htsguy said:

Not really.  If you guys want amenity laden new construction in Cleveland (like everybody on this board is screaming for) those prices are just about right (probably a little more than $2 per square foot).  Apparently that is the bottom line for new construction (especially high rise) even in a city like Cleveland.

I'm paying $1750 for a Back Bay apartment in Boston, and that's cheap. Same price for a brand spanking new apartment in one of the best locations and new developments in the heart of Cleveland? All day.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, CLE_Millennial said:

Those are similar prices for One University Circle, the max price for Lumen is actually cheaper. The price you pay for new and shiny toys.