zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

On 1/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, shack said:

I was wondering if the notched corner will be part of the final design or if its there to compensate for the thickness of the cladding. I'm assuming the latter but not sure if it will fill in the notched corner entirely in order to be flush with each other.

It seems like this question has not been answered and I'm curious about it too (presuming I'm reading Shack's question right).  Are the "flaps" on the corners which alternate with each level going to be sawed off?  

4 minutes ago, ryanfrazier said:

It seems like this question has not been answered and I'm curious about it too (presuming I'm reading Shack's question right).  Are the "flaps" on the corners which alternate with each level going to be sawed off?  

No, the flaps are part of the design.

https://media.apts247.info/2a/2a57991cf2ca4856bb1379cf3ca07d20/galleries/community/exteriors/exterior-render.jpg

https://www.thebeaconcleveland.com/gridmedia/img/slide1.jpg

1 hour ago, Mendo said:

Thanks for the answer and the pics. 

Seems like a bad design choice to me.  Half of the corner units are going to have their view blocked in one direction.  I don't see what it adds aesthetically. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ryanfrazier said:

Thanks for the answer and the pics. 

Seems like a bad design choice to me.  Half of the corner units are going to have their view blocked in one direction.  I don't see what it adds aesthetically. 

Thanks for the answer as well to a bizarre aesthetic choice. It seems the architect wants to continue that zigzag theme for one end of the facade to the other thereby making the edge more disorienting to the onlooker. It will be interesting to see how this all works with the final product and whether or not it succeeds. What I like about the design is that it is both unusual yet done within  a constrained framework without being over the top. I think it will be one of the more interesting buildings downtown.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mack34 said:

It has writing on it, so I'm not sure if it gets peeled off or another layer goes on

Yea, I'm thinking the paper with the writing on it gets peeled and the final product will be revealed.

^^Really? Maybe it’s my eyes but that looks really different to me. Anyhow it’s pretty cool 😎 

E21B54B6-56EC-4EA9-B77A-095CF328C2C9.png

1C82A0F2-F482-46F3-96B7-5B16A923A192.png

Edited by surfohio

I see way more blue than in the renderings - at least in that pic.  Curious to how that gradually lighter facade is really gonna come out - so far, I like...

I love the color graduation! Right now we are only seeing three stories of the darkest umber color. As it moves higher, the lighter color and the zig-zag movement will lift your eyes skyward creating a truly dramatic effect. I can't wait to see it three months from now!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MayDay said:

The blue everyone is seeing is the sky reflecting off the temporary material covering the panels.

242A1997-4321-4C26-A4E6-279573F80830.jpeg

Aw man, I liked the blue color, it went better with the base imo.

They peeled the 'wrapping' off, I'd say it looks better than the renderings so far, meshes well with the brown of the skyline looking west...

20190301_124731.jpg

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 7

I also think it's going to be a strange transition from the glass, then a space, and then the bottom floor of the building.

Although maybe it looks a bit odd now because of the white tarps that are up.  When the tarps are down it'll be a black space there and hopefully wont stand out as much.

• Like 1

Never liked the choice to go with the brown hues.  Seems like an outdated color-scheme to me for buildings and reminds me of rust (and I don't think the "rust-belt" moniker is a positive for Cleveland in general).  Rust is a reminder of the past (and not the golden-age period of Cleveland's past).  Would have preferred to see the Beacon look towards the future.  I think the Lumen will do that nicely.  But alas, a building is better than no building!     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dar124 said:

I also think it's going to be a strange transition from the glass, then a space, and then the bottom floor of the building.

Although maybe it looks a bit odd now because of the white tarps that are up.  When the tarps are down it'll be a black space there and hopefully wont stand out as much.

Remember they took some of the mirrored glazing down so it wouldn't get damaged during construction. This was located at the top of the garage. I wonder if they'll put that back.

• Like 1

Here's a pic from today of a different angle of the building.  It's nice to see that some of the facade is visible from farther away!!!

20190301_162914.thumb.jpg.b001d65d2ed1c6cf973ed63b2bce1ef2.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does anyone know if they plan on having any sort of rooftop patio/bar/restaurant? From the last photo, it looks like there might be an entire wall of windows. 

8 hours ago, NYC Boomerang said:

Never liked the choice to go with the brown hues.  Seems like an outdated color-scheme to me for buildings and reminds me of rust (and I don't think the "rust-belt" moniker is a positive for Cleveland in general).  Rust is a reminder of the past (and not the golden-age period of Cleveland's past).  Would have preferred to see the Beacon look towards the future.  I think the Lumen will do that nicely.  But alas, a building is better than no building!     

I thought it was simply to blend in with the surrounding brown buildings since it's sandwiched between two of them.

10 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does anyone know if they plan on having any sort of rooftop patio/bar/restaurant? From the last photo, it looks like there might be an entire wall of windows. 

From the website...although it doesn't indicate if it will be open to the public.

Rooftop Sky Lounge with Panoramic Deck (29th Floor)

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 2:50 PM, NYC Boomerang said:

I was a bigger fan of the brighter hues in the original design. Cleveland tends to get a bit drab being that the majority of its wardrobe is basically brown and grey. 

beacon.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ASP1984 said:

I was a bigger fan of the brighter hues in the original design. Cleveland tends to get a bit drab being that the majority of its wardrobe is basically brown and grey. 

beacon.jpg

I think there's legitimate criticism of this design though. They were worried about the building turning completely light- pink as it aged over time. Which would look pretty bad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CLE_Millennial said:

I think there's legitimate criticism of this design though. They were worried about the building turning completely light- pink as it aged over time. Which would look pretty bad.

Yeah, fair concern. Just ready for anyone to attempt something other than the typical brown/grey.

• Like 1

I personally think they dropped the ball on the color. Way too much browns/red on that side of Euclid to begin with. Should have designed it to really stand out. I would have loved to see something like below. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.36.23 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1