zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon / 515 Euclid Avenue

Don't like panels. Looks dated to me.Maybe the choice of colors selected but at same time I'm shade blind.

Edit: I thought it was going to have have a metallic look. Well that was what I had pictured in my mind from my bad memory.

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Don't like panels. Looks dated to me.Maybe the choice of colors selected but at same time I'm shade blind.

Edit: I thought it was going to have have a metallic look. Well that was what I had pictured in my mind from my bad memory.

Agreed. So many tan/brown buildings already downtown. This was a perfect opportunity to change it up. 

3 hours ago, ASPhotoman said:

Agreed. So many tan/brown buildings already downtown. This was a perfect opportunity to change it up. 

It was too bad that the City Planning Commission killed the initial panel color blocking.

33560309632_653b0b4eeb_o.jpg

I am torn... I agree we need to break up the brown/beige/grey downtown.  But that original color scheme REALLY contrasts against the glass on the garage in a weird way...

• Like 2

I honestly was SHOCKED that they went with the color scheme they have now. Mainly due to the garage already being glass I assumed they'd keep that same scheme.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RE Developer In Training said:

Nice density shot from the river on Sunday - also the Rock's new glass atrium.

Maybe now that there is more recreational activity on the river we can put some effort into improvements between the water and the downtown street level.

image.png.a4ede0e66856bfd3230ff311db06b4fa.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Never saw that angle before. I walked in that tube long time ago to go to a Indians game in 95 if I'm not mistaking it for something else. Never saw it from the outside.

What is that old fort looking structure with filled in windows at bottom ? Interesting whatever it is.

Edited by Mildtraumatic

14 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

^ Ugly but at least it went up right?

Ha!  Same exact thought.  It's ugly...oh well...at least we have added density in both skyline and population. 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I honestly was SHOCKED that they went with the color scheme they have now. Mainly due to the garage already being glass I assumed they'd keep that same scheme.

Would of made most sense you would think. The way they did it the building is in "stark" contrast of the garage.  To be honest the garage looks better. Crazy. 

Once they fully unpeel this beauty one might think it was built in the 60's or 70's. It looks like big pimple on someones face you can't help but look at when trying to talk to them. No wonder it took so long to build it. It's looks like the last girl to be asked out to prom...

Over exaggerating a bit.

Edited by Mildtraumatic

Seems like I might be in the minority here, but I don’t find the panel design/color scheme ugly in the least way. And I imagine it will look really interesting and dramatic when illuminated at night. We shall soon see. 

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, CCC said:

Seems like I might be in the minority here, but I don’t find the panel design/color scheme ugly in the least way. And I imagine it will look really interesting and dramatic when illuminated at night. We shall soon see. 

I'm with you for now... but I think weathering could make the coloring turn for the worst within a few years. 

• Like 1

As with most projects, I suggest waiting until the project is complete before making a final judgement.  Although we all have a different view on what is aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1

I always appreciated the design concept with the panels, but from the beginning felt the building was too short/stout to pull it off.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foraker said:

Maybe now that there is more recreational activity on the river we can put some effort into improvements between the water and the downtown street level.

The ugliest walkway I've ever seen!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foraker said:

Right lol. It looks like a cool city built atop Mayan ruins. 

• Haha 1

In some cases, that's not too far off...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

37 minutes ago, shack said:

(Inside and out) it looks really dated on the inside. I was hoping that was also part of the Q upgrade in some way.

Oh yeah, this isn't a TT/Fieldhouse/TC thread lol whoops.

Edited by GISguy
Sorry for drifting!

Just now, GISguy said:

(Inside and out) it looks really dated on the inside. I was hoping that was also part of the Q upgrade in some way.

Reminds me of the walkways of Hopkins airport (and who can forget their outdated baggage terminal) . Off topic sorry. I couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I always wondered what used to be located in the boarded up window section of the structure under the walkway shown in the photo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musky said:

I always wondered what used to be located in the boarded up window section of the structure under the walkway shown in the photo

@musky That was the first level (technically sublevel) of the Cleveland Union Terminal's  signal tower that had a switching mechanism with 576 control levels to control as many switches and signals from Collinwood to Linndale. BTW, at the time, it was the world's largest switch control mechanism. BTW2: I took that last photo in December 1980.

CUT-M.jpg

Cleveland CUT east approach 1930-2-switching tower.jpg

Cleveland Union Terminal-eastapproach-Dec1980m.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

I'm guessing something for the old train station but for what purpose, I'm not exactly sure.

Edit. Thanks, KJP!

Edited by viscomi
  • Like 1

It really is an ugly blemish to an otherwise amazing vantage point.  While cruising down the river yesterday, I couldn't help but think how critical the Thunderbird and Irishtown Bend projects are.  Those two projects would completely transform how people think of Cleveland (especially visitors). 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, shack said:

It looks like a nice long subway train to me, which is somewhat painful knowing Cleveland's transit situation....

10 hours ago, Foraker said:

Edit: nevermind

Edited by Boomerang_Brian

8 hours ago, KJP said:

@musky That was the first level (technically sublevel) of the Cleveland Union Terminal's  signal tower that had a switching mechanism with 576 control levels to control as many switches and signals from Collinwood to Linndale. BTW, at the time, it was the world's largest switch control mechanism. BTW2: I took that last photo in December 1980.

CUT-M.jpg

Cleveland CUT east approach 1930-2-switching tower.jpg

Cleveland Union Terminal-eastapproach-Dec1980m.jpg

@KJP  You pulled on out of the hat.  I barely remember this.

^Y’know that is one hell of a picture!  The smog is so heavy in downtown. Everything is blackened by the coal trains including the buildings nearby. None of the 9 substation stacks are pumping out smoke and i don’t really see any of the steel mills further down the valley pumping out much smoke either. The Cuyahoga looks pretty brackish as well.  No wonder people didn’t want to live downtown. 

1 hour ago, audidave said:

^Y’know that is one hell of a picture!  The smog is so heavy in downtown. Everything is blackened by the coal trains including the buildings nearby. None of the 9 substation stacks are pumping out smoke and i don’t really see any of the steel mills further down the valley pumping out much smoke either. The Cuyahoga looks pretty brackish as well.  No wonder people didn’t want to live downtown. 

Responded here so we don't get any further off track....

That's Central Market and, to the left of it, the remnants of Sherriff's Street Market. The center and northern portions of the Sherriff's Street Market had burned down the month before the overhead photo was taken. 

More:  https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/676

• Like 1

As long as we're off topic here, any idea when/if that last smokestack is coming down? I remember there were 3 of them on that old plant. 2 have come down. Why stop there?

1 hour ago, cadmen said:

As long as we're off topic here, any idea when/if that last smokestack is coming down? I remember there were 3 of them on that old plant. 2 have come down. Why stop there?

I actually love when smokestacks get saved... they're such a huge part of our cultural heritage in the area... why not salvage them

• Like 2

Still a bit off topic. Few people in Cleveland know the vastness of the CUT. It was one of the most expensive building projects in the USA during the 1920’s!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

I actually love when smokestacks get saved... they're such a huge part of our cultural heritage in the area... why not salvage them

Put condos in 'em. I'll gladly create some air rights parcels in the GIS for them lol 😛