zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon / 515 Euclid Avenue

11 minutes ago, tklg said:

Was supposed to start in September, but yet to hear anything more.

I thought I saw them starting to put the swing stages up for that work last week, but maybe that was the John Hartness Brown Buildings I am mixing up. I would think they'd want to close in the building as much as possible before winter for sure and the spring rainy season.

• Like 2

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

I was thinking that we’re still going to get some additional height (in a sense) with The Beacon - when the lighted “Beacon” letters, which look about 2 stories high, go up.  But when looking at the promotional rendering, I noticed that the letters face west, where seemingly most of the view of those letters would be blocked by 200 Publuc Square. Wonder why they wouldn’t be facing south? 

34 minutes ago, CleveFan said:

I was thinking that we’re still going to get some additional height (in a sense) with The Beacon - when the lighted “Beacon” letters, which look about 2 stories high, go up.  But when looking at the promotional rendering, I noticed that the letters face west, where seemingly most of the view of those letters would be blocked by 200 Publuc Square. Wonder why they wouldn’t be facing south? 

The signage seems very old school to me. It may very well be a nostalgic reference to the old Superman comic books. 

From a couple of days ago, but the forum has been down.... Maybe someone can alert the pedestrians to return??

• Like 1

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

On 11/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, MayDay said:

Indirectly related - now that the crane is down, the sidewalk on the north side of Euclid is back open to pedestrians ?

On 11/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, KJP said:

From a couple of days ago, but the forum has been down.... Maybe someone can alert the pedestrians to return??

Is it? I live right next to this, but I'm so used to just crossing the street. I'll have to check this out. I can't believe I haven't noticed this, haha. So unaware. 🤣

On 11/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, KJP said:

I for one will continue to cross the street in order to get a better view..

In the City Club thread, we were speculating on how tall their possible new apartment building, rumored to be in development, could be. KJP had commented that the “Beacon  tower is about 307,800 sf. That's an average of 1,645 sf per unit.”  His math is right if 187 units there are evenly divided into that total square footage number.  I’m not a math person, but it got me looking at the Beacon website- there are now floor plans for the units there.  I count at least 29 different floor plans - which seems like a lot of diversity  for a 187 unit building. 16 of those 29 are 1 bedroom apartments- the rest 2 bedrooms. The smallest is 803 square feet, - the largest is 1959. For a new construction apartment tower, some generous sized units.  The largest one looks especially sweet!  Love those floor to ceiling windows all around! 

I find this kind of ironic, and may be a little offtopic.
I just find it hilarious and ironic that Google Maps decided to update development on the Beacon but has yet to retake aerials of public square. Its been what, 3 years now?

As you can see here they're building the elevator core here, with the crane visible as a shadow on the garage.

image.png.26b45b75a8fd8f71c9561495d78e1866.png

And here's public square 1.0 on present day Google Maps. It has the right outlines though. SMH.

image.png.686e69e7fa0cac09cd5ca752f3760e32.png

Edited by tastybunns
  • Haha 1

I believe the elevator shaft has always been there. The 2d satellite images google currently uses have the updated Public Square, btw. Globe view is behind a few years with their satellite imagery.

• Like 1

Download Google Earth Pro. Much more up to date.

7 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Stayed at the Residence Inn last night.  Cool view from my room window:

CBA2B651-7A14-4D70-AF15-E4280F6F0748.jpeg

Although it's not a huge building, it sure does nicely plug a hole in the skyline from many angles.   It really adds some visual density.

I've been so excited reading in every thread about all of the Cleveland buildings awarded Preservation Tax Credits, I was disappointed to click on this thread and find that the Beacon was NOT awarded them, lol.

I'm certain the Lumen got some:classic_biggrin:

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Haha 1

I didn't take those pics. It's a posting of a tweet from the Beacon account which shared pics by someone else, probably someone who works for Stark.

Stan Bullard in Crain's calls the Beacon 29 stories.  The Beacon calls itself 26 stories. Given the half-floor of the garage, I could see a 1 story discrepancy, but 3???

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/big-wins-losses-hit-regions-realty-market

https://www.thebeaconcleveland.com/news/

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Probably working indoors for the next month or two. 

• Like 1

I don't know the correct terminology, cladding rail maybe, but they began affixing these white horizontal members to the eastern corner of the exterior on the 16th. If that gives any clue to the imminence... If you pan to the left in the Q's Camera 1 you have a great view of 515, as well as the crane over at the Lumen.  Hope this is helpful/pertinent. 19454755_ScreenShot2019-01-25at12_04_02AM.thumb.png.31b4fe146592d1b3278b7b3d6304e0af.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pleco said:

I don't know the correct terminology, cladding rail maybe, but they began affixing these white horizontal members to the eastern corner of the exterior on the 16th. If that gives any clue to the imminence... If you pan to the left in the Q's Camera 1 you have a great view of 515, as well as the crane over at the Lumen.  Hope this is helpful/pertinent. 19454755_ScreenShot2019-01-25at12_04_02AM.thumb.png.31b4fe146592d1b3278b7b3d6304e0af.png

8 hours ago, Pleco said:

Looks like what's called Hat Channel that they will attach the panels to.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pleco said:

I was wondering if the notched corner will be part of the final design or if its there to compensate for the thickness of the cladding. I'm assuming the latter but not sure if it will fill in the notched corner entirely in order to be flush with each other.

Update pic

20190209_130400.jpg

• Like 5

Snagged a pic of one of my favorite angles this morning, also tried to zoom in a tad on the insulation

20190214_084239.jpg

20190214_084208.jpg

Edited by GISguy
Clarification
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, GISguy said:

Snagged a pic of one of my favorite angles this morning, also tried to zoom in a tad on the insulation

20190214_084239.jpg

20190214_084208.jpg

I can't wait until this building is filled with residents.

• Like 2