• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zaceman

Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon / 515 Euclid Avenue

how many more floors to go?

If I'm counting correctly, here is where construction stands:

Beacon_Schematic_060518.jpg?format=900w

Holy sh*t, I underestimated how tall this thing is actually going to be.

That struck me too - took this photo over the weekend and figured I'd take a stab projecting what the massing would look and feel like from the street. Its almost like Cleveland is becoming a real city!  ;)

(I also recognize the break should technically be a couple floors higher, but couldn't help myself)

beacon2.thumb.PNG.75b8321547706694929bde015ae5b67f.PNG

beacon1.PNG.5b1f46fa7e439e9b2d09f56f838f7be0.PNG

That struck me too - took this photo over the weekend and figured I'd take a stab projecting what the massing would look and feel like from the street. Its almost like Cleveland is becoming a real city!  ;)

(I also recognize the break should technically be a couple floors higher, but couldn't help myself)

With the Beacon going up, it made me realize how badly the surface parking lot next to the city club building needs to be developed.

How about the surface lot across the street from the Beacon that “replaced” the Hippodrome theater?

How about the surface lot across the street from the Beacon that “replaced” the Hippodrome theater?

That's the lot that anthonyb referenced in his post - agreed, but to get back on topic - a few photos from about 14-15 years ago in the spirit of 'wayback Wednesday':

east4th_0903.jpg?format=800w

515euclidcrane0604.jpg?format=800w

515euclidsite0903.jpg?format=800w

With the Beacon going up, it made me realize how badly the surface parking lot next to the city club building needs to be developed.

There’s been a “for sale for development sign” on the fence for a while. It seems like a good spot to build and it already has a parking garage. The prospect side could be developed too. 

There’s been a “for sale for development sign” on the fence for a while. It seems like a good spot to build and it already has a parking garage. The prospect side could be developed too.

"for a while" is an understatement

^ I'm sure it'll get built up eventually like the Warehouse District. Save for a massive economic down turn, and if we keep our current momentum, Downtown should see some more buildings popping up. How many more historic buildings are left to be flipped that aren't being worked on now or are slated for development in the near future? The Beacon and Lumen give me hope for Cleveland to be a thriving city.

^ I'm sure it'll get built up eventually like the Warehouse District. Save for a massive economic down turn, and if we keep our current momentum, Downtown should see some more buildings popping up. How many more historic buildings are left to be flipped that aren't being worked on now or are slated for development in the near future? The Beacon and Lumen give me hope for Cleveland to be a thriving city.

With CAC, the May Co. building, and 55PS conversions, 925 Euclid has to be the last major office building in town not to be repurposed for residential use.  There's so much square footage in that building, though, that it may take awhile for it to act as a tipping point for ground-up construction.  If/when that building fills up with apartments, it may be enough to push downtown rents upward enough where financing for new residential construction is available.

With CAC, the May Co. building, and 55PS conversions, 925 Euclid has to be the last major office building in town not to be repurposed for residential use.  There's so much square footage in that building, though, that it may take awhile for it to act as a tipping point for ground-up construction.  If/when that building fills up with apartments, it may be enough to push downtown rents upward enough where financing for new residential construction is available.

That's what I was thinking. Most of the remaining office buildings have been spoken for. Euclid Avenue is pretty much fully developed with projects being worked on, finished, or at least in pre-development. Really all that's left is Northern Campus district and the swaths of parking lots. I know that the ATT/Ohio Bell building and Erieview were mentioned for redevelopment, but briefly?! Could the Beacon, once finished, help with getting Nucleus off the ground?

What about the stretch of Euclid between 925 and Statler?  There is a stretch of buildings that had asbestos removal performed in 2013 that are still sitting untouched.

They're starting actual work on the bottom floors! LFG!!

That would be the fireproofing material going on the structure; and while I may have been at a bar - the only shots involved were the photos I took. Now later this evening may be a whole other story ;)

Best way to get us back on topic - photo update on the construction :)

beaconconstruction_060818_2.jpg?format=900w

Back in the day when the topics of discussion were whether they were going to tear down the Breuer tower and surrounding buildings or not, or if/when the Schofield building would ever be finished, this is the kind of scene you'd have in your head when you would wake from a lucid dream and think 'awwww man! it was just a dream....'

Best way to get us back on topic - photo update on the construction :)

Haha, sorry for getting off topic. That second shot is amazing.

Do the midges have any effect on it's construction? I wonder if there'll be a slight lull over the next week or so where you can spot someone taking time to scrape 'em out each day. There must be a couple floors in all the buildings downtown where encased midges technically making up a fraction of a percentage of the structure. It's a somewhat silly, but genuine question.

Wonder if anyone can explain what we're looking at in this pic  Are those pre-fabricated exterior panels?  Is there some type of finish that gets applied or are they pre-finished?

Time for a teaching moment.  :)

Here is the rendering:

515euclidrenderings.jpg?format=1000w

I don't know the exact material but the rendering and verbiage from the architect's website indicates a metallic finish and glass paneling system. No brick, but what you're seeing currently *will* be covered.

My own contribution from yesterday. It looks like they're up to the 14th floor of new construction, meaning they have only five floors more to go until they top out.

35299917_10210015752945263_4024022032910909440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=61b368910fe9d6038f60466c70164d01&oe=5BB01052