Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon

zaceman

On 3/27/2019 at 10:49 AM, CLE_Millennial said:

I called them. The rent is ridiculous. It starts at $1700/month and goes all the way up to over $4K/month. I would have considered moving there if a single-bedroom unit was around $1400/month, but $1700 is insane.

10 hours ago, roman totale XVII said:

^where have you seen Lumen pricing? I’m down on their mailing list to be contacted when they start leasing discussions and I’ve heard nothing yet. 

Here

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Looking good!

It's weird to me that the rock wool is on the outside of the yellow panels. I know that stuff doesn't absorb water but I still wouldn't want anything trapping water against the building.

2 hours ago, Htsguy said:

The windows at the 9 are not particularly tiny (probably about 5 feet top to bottom).

Not exactly airplane windows.....

27e1d3d975f2466f301cd47c749c4fb3.jpg

• Like 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Thanks for correcting me. The recessed, honeycombed windows from street level gave me the impression of being smaller than they actually are.  They still remind me of hermetically sealed airplane windows that you can't open. Don't get me wrong I still love Marcel Brauer's brutalist design! Just kind of stuffy to live in.

Edited by shack

I was amazed to see the windows were that big too. They look deceptively small from the street.

To get this back on track, the Beacon's windows don't look that big either. So I was surprised to read that they are floor-to-ceiling height.

I stayed there once - it's very nice. Having a glass-enclosed shower in the middle of the room, however, took a little getting used to.

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice shot!  Looks like two thirds of the panels have been revealed.  Don't really see the effect of the building getting lighter higher up yet.  Hopefully, that will become more evident as the rest of the yellow covering is removed. 

3 minutes ago, CleveFan said:

Nice shot!  Looks like two thirds of the panels have been revealed.  Don't really see the effect of the building getting lighter higher up yet.  Hopefully, that will become more evident as the rest of the yellow covering is removed. 

I drive by daily. That isn't the paneling itself but the material they are attaching the paneling too. It's black or gray. The paneling is only done a third of the way up and half of them don't have the film off them. 

On 5/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, simplythis said:

Why is it taking so long to get the wrap off the panels?

I'm guessing to help protect the panels from being damaged by the construction workers working above it ... dropped tools and what not.

6 hours ago, dave2017 said:

My attempt at photoshopping Nucleus and the Beacon from Progressive Field's POV

cleve nucleus beacon skyline.png

Ha ha, “INDIANS WI”. Stands for WIFF this year instead of WIN. 

But anyway, that’s awesome and thanks for posting. You should put it in the NuCLEus thread so you can get “likes” there too. 

Those three buildings will have a tremendous impact on making the view “more city” from so many angles. Exciting!

Furthermore, the rumored tower on the Hippodrome site would show up just to the left of the AT&T building. 

Geis’s rumored condo tower on the old New York spaghetti house will also impact the view from Progressive.

Between those and Lumen there might be 5 cranes in view from the ballpark. 

Edited by Boomerang_Brian
  • Like 1

Thats a great job!!  Sadlt, the more I see of the Beacon and the Nucleus renderings...I wonder what Stark infatuation with earth tones is?  I thought the Beacon would at least have more of a metallic look.....not painted OSB board!  

• Like 1

D8AoeoWXoAAtS7Q?format=jpg&name=4096x409

D8AofPzW4AUn5SL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

D8AogDlX4AA4I6g?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mack34 said:

They’re starting to peel of the wrap.... i can’t decide if it’s really ugly or really cool?!

B31A1E00-CBD0-49C0-899F-E8ADA65A89BF.jpeg

6859870F-7E1F-4F37-91D3-5EAD409D06E2.jpeg

I would reserve judgement until after the exterior is complete. Either way we're stuck with it. I just know its better than what was there before.

It is a bit too busy for my taste.  I would have preferred a more gradual tonal difference.  Side note. Are they ever going to remove the hideous string light wraps from the street lamps that appear along Euclid Ave!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, X said:

I still think it was a mistake not reskinning the garage to match the new tower.

I like the juxtaposition.  There is no functional reason to change and why add costs?  What value is being added?

As a developer or owner of the property, making that change is only going to be passed on to residents. Why limit your pool or target audience (of tenants)?  An owner/manger of the property would need to raise rents to pay for this cosmetic change, a change that is not needed.

I was visiting CLE this weekend and had the chance to ride the Towpath trail from Hopples to Rockside Rd and back (so cool to see that perspective of Cleveland!).  On the way back we took a few minutes to study the skyline from Tremont.  Although I was expecting The Beacon to have a bigger presence in the skyline I still think it makes an important contribution.  I really liked the panels.  They're unique and the add color and a sense of upward motion that I wasn't expecting (can anyone explain the motion I perceived?). I hope Beacon and all of the residential construction quickly absorb residents when they open.  From Public Square to CSU Euclid Ave, there's going to be a lively residential district and I'm looking forward to coming back to see it.

• Like 5

I will say that the panels have a much different look from the distance than they do in these up-close shots. I was surprised driving in on I-90 from the west this morning as to how different the building looks with most of the wraps coming off. (Wish I would have taken a pic.) I'm liking it more and more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul in Cleveland said:

I will say that the panels have a much different look from the distance than they do in these up-close shots. I was surprised driving in on I-90 from the west this morning as to how different the building looks with most of the wraps coming off. (Wish I would have taken a pic.) I'm liking it more and more.

I agree with the above statement.  When I was driving into downtown, I noticed the wavy like pattern that made the building really stick out from the surrounding buildings.  Some may like it, some may not, but the fact of the matter is the building IS being built as is and it isn't going to change now.  Enjoy it!  

I like the look of the panels. And I don't mind that the garage doesn't match the tower. My only criticism is that they should've at least changed the ugly pale red beams in the parking structure. They should've repainted them in brown hues that would match the panels in the tower. 

• Like 1

I think the difference between the garage and tower looks a bit odd. The panels somewhat remind me of the paneling from the 1960/70s that didn’t age well. I fear the same thing happening here. Glad to have the building though!