Sign in to follow this  
Guest CMH_Downtown

Columbus: Downtown: Gay Street Development

Pricing Released for Rehabbed Units in Citizens Building at Gay and High

Pricing and floor plans have been released for the Edwards Companies’ 63-unit renovation of the Citizens Building on the southwest corner of Gay and High streets Downtown.

Prices for the apartments range from $1,120 for a studio to just over $3,000 for a three-bedroom unit on the ninth floor.

Kim Ulle of Edwards said that the plan is finish up interior work on the building in early 2017, but no exact timeline has been released in terms of the first residents moving in or new businesses opening up. Representatives from Veritas Tavern in Delaware have confirmed plans to relocate the restaurant to the Citizens Building, but no further details have yet been made available.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/pricing-released-for-rehabbed-units-in-citizens-building-at-gay-and-high-bw1

The Citizens Building renovation is being done by the Edwards Companies.  This is the same company that has been building the Neighborhood Launch development along Gay / Long Streets east of 4th.  Edwards is also building a mixed-use development across Gay Street from the Citizens Building that will stretch along High Street to Long Street (85-111 N. High Street).  This 85-111 N. High Street development will contain 164 apartments on four floors above ground-floor retail storefronts and an underground parking garage.  The Citizens Building will eventually have access to that underground parking garage via a tunnel being installed under Gay Street.  Below is a day-time / night-time photo of that tunnel construction from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017:

gay-street-tunnel-02.jpg

gay-street-tunnel-01.jpg

One more note about the Citizens Building at the southwest corner of Gay & High.  When Columbus Monthly named their Top 10 restaurants in Nov. 2016, the top rated restaurant was a relative newcomer, Veritas Tavern:  http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2016/11/best-restaurants-no-1-veritas-tavern.html

Veritas Tavern has only been open a few years in Downtown Delaware.  But it has gained a reputation for its molecular gastronomy razzle-dazzle and other kitchen wizardry during its brief existence.  In the Columbus Monthly article (linked above), Veritas confirmed that it will relocating from its Delaware location to the ground floor of the Citizens Building.  The restaurant would double in size from its current 1,300 square feet to 2,700 square feet in the ground floor of the Citizens Building.  A Spring 2017 opening was mentioned in the article:

downtown-construction-jan-2017-01.jpg

Two more views of the Gay & High-to-High & Long construction site from CU.  Looks like foundation work for the underground parking garage is finished and the above-ground part of this mixed-use project (164 apartments on four floors above ground-floor retail) is underway.

Corner of Gay & High - posted July 31, 2017 at http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-downtown-columbus-july-2017

construction-2017-july-01.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

Corner of High & Long - posted Sept. 3, 2017 at http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-cranes-dot-the-skyline-in-downtown-columbus

construction-sept-2017-44.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

The High and Gay project. The lot in front of the 667 wine ad is slated to be a twelve story hotel:

38732957370_e5c8336818_o.jpg

Last photo! That takes entirely too long on mobile, and now I'm going to be 2 hours late on dinner!

It may not be tall, but these photos really put into perspective how MASSIVE the footprint of this project is. That pool in the center rooftop courtyard is going to be cooooool. Thanks so much for sharing.

P.S. I still think it would have been more interesting to fully incorporate the Diamond Exchange building...

The crane for the Gay & High project was dismantled yesterday. It looks like there is still quite a bit of work to be done to finish the project though.

It's still kind of sad the entire block is only to be six stories.  Thought there was more potential there.

I think the problem was how large the parcel is. You could have fit two Riffe Towers side by side here.

If had been split into two or three parcels, I could have seen one or two developers going up to 20 stories, maybe even more. I have read that the amount of square footage in the building currently being built is equal to some of the tallest buildings in Columbus even though it's only 6 stories tall.

It certainly would have been nice to have some more height here, but I think this is going to be a great addition regardless. Now if only we could get the rest of the buildings across the street renovated and get that 12-story hotel built that was rumored to be going on the last surface lot over there.

43735021375_324138dd68_b.jpg

These two projects will seriously improve this part of downtown. I just wish the Downtown Commission would have demanded better for that dead concrete wall with garage ventilation along the sidewalk when everything else is active uses in that area.

44594567742_ae3868a3de_b.jpg

42834545370_69b69e3286_b.jpg

While exploring I discovered some finishes are starting to be added to the Gay & High Edwards development. 

7B6A575B-3414-4346-9A7F-785255760939.thumb.jpeg.5604ff258a1fc427e03b877d6ff8757b.jpeg

I will say that while I wish this were taller, I absolutely am loving seeing a complete street wall here for the first time ever. However, parts of the finishes are starting to look really suburban (that cornice and cream color) which is  not something I'm excited to see. Oye. 

• Like 1