Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Cincinnati: Downtown: Queen City Square

Wait...is this for real??? The drawing is to scale with Key Tower and HOK provided it to you?!?!

So is this and idication OCS has now gorwn from ~575' to ~950' ?

The 'nati with an 900+ ?! Wow! Next we will get NBA and NHL...

twnipper

Wait...is this for real??? The drawing is to scale with Key Tower and HOK provided it to you?!?!

So is this and idication OCS has now gorwn from ~575' to ~950' ?

The 'nati with an 900+ ?! Wow! Next we will get NBA and NHL...

twnipper

Sorry, but he was only joking. The drunken emoticon gives it way. We could only wish for something like this to happen.

The drunken emoticon gives it way. We could only wish for something like this to happen.

Hahah true' date=' a 900 or 1000+ footer would be awesome, but I think it would look just a wee bit out of place in the Queen City.

Of course, we're getting 2 [i']more[/i] 1000 footers in Chi-Town... [/Chicago arrogance]

I don't know if I would want a 1000 footer in Cincinnati.

While Cleveland is a nice city, the skyline does nothing for me. The tall towers leave too many gaps and it would totally throw off Cincinnati's dense skyline.

If a 1000 footer were to be built in Cincinnati, I would want it around Fountain Square. Queen City Square is on the fringe of the skyline and will fill a gap that has existed for too long

If a 1000 footer were to be built in Cincinnati' date=' I would want it around Fountain Square. Queen City Square is on the fringe of the skyline and will fill a gap that has existed for too long[/quote']

I dunno. As I said, I think it would look out of place, but I would rather it be more on an edge than right smack in the middle of downtown. Putting the tallest in the middle is so... normal. It'd look just like Indy, or Atlanta, or LA or something.

I have a classmate here at the U of Tennessee that worked for HOK St. Louis last summer and remembers the physical model and what not in the office. Certainly the model was of the original design but he might know some of their dark secrets.

Yea Cleveland's really tall towers on public square are a bit goofy. They're part of the "boom boom 80s/90s" era, if everything proposed got built then the skyline would have probably rivaled Chicago (-gasp- dont ever tell a chiagoan that lol)

But yea Cincinnati could use a few 700+ buildings and even an 800ft one. But 1000? that would be a RenCen all over again heh no matter where you put it. btw why would someone put it on the edge of a downtown? that wouldnt look right unless it was the same height as the current tallest.

I have a classmate here at the U of Tennessee that worked for HOK St. Louis last summer and remembers the physical model and what not in the office. Certainly the model was of the original design but he might know some of their dark secrets.

Do some diggin for us.

This is sweet...well...not the news I got, but the guy that wrote me about QCS wrote me again this morning. He's *gasp*, the vice president of HOK! Western Southern is really being hush hush about this. To me, the first portion was a "dramatic" change from what the original rendering. I wonder if they flat out got something in the works for phase 2 that is going to be worthy? Well anyway, here's what he said...

August 20, 04

Ron,

This project is public knowledge, however, the owner is very low key about it and does not want any information about the project released. I will forward your name and e-mail address to our client and let them decide if they want to contact you directly or not.

Other than that I am not at liberty to provide any additional information.

Joe

X. XXX XXXXXXXXX, AIA

Vice President

I agree with WhoDey...I think a significant structure away from the dense core of high rises that Cincy has would definitely add more to the maturity of it's skyline than another right in the middle (QCS fits this pretty well since it will serve as a bookend for the highrises on 3rd).

Think of how the Kroger building adds expanse to the Cincinnati skyline when you view downtown from Mt Adams. Or if a highrise were built at Broadway Commons how it would have the effect of filling the "basin" with highrises despite being away from the core and having basically nothing between.

I agree with WhoDey...I think a significant structure away from the dense core of high rises that Cincy has would definitely add more to the maturity of it's skyline than another right in the middle (QCS fits this pretty well since it will serve as a bookend for the highrises on 3rd).

Think of how the Kroger building adds expanse to the Cincinnati skyline when you view downtown from Mt Adams. Or if a highrise were built at Broadway Commons how it would have the effect of filling the "basin" with highrises despite being away from the core and having basically nothing between.

I disagree. Personally, I think the Kroger building is terribly out of place. It doesn't seem to fit well with it's neighboring buildings. To me, it just seems completely out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood.

While I'd probably prefer a 1000 footer more on the edge, rather than on Fountain Square; I think I would have to be located very close to the existing hirgh-rises, which Kroger is not. I like the location of QCS, as you pointed out it will serve nicely as a bookend for the high-rises on 3rd. It definitely will fill a gap. As Ronnie's illustration shows, it should look pretty nice.

Oh well, I'm dreaming about a 1000 foot building and I live in Dayton. Both reason enough to get back to reality--or not.

thanks for the compliments guys. Pretty much all I did was resize my QCS diagram and edit it into the picture. But I am working on different angles of Cincy with QCS added. I will post them as i get them done. I will make 1000's of flyers and drop them from a plane all over the city. think that will get the project done?? :drunk:

I disagree. Personally' date=' I think the Kroger building is terribly out of place. It doesn't seem to fit well with it's neighboring buildings. To me, it just seems completely out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood. [/quote']

The entire Central Parkway corridor was supposed to be lined by tall buildings, but only the American Building and the Kroger Building (1959) ever got built. That's why those buildings look so out of scale.

Sound familiar? The riverfront was supposed to have quite a few highrise apartments--only One Lytle Place got built. It's kind of a local trend.

Guest Cincinnatus

For those who are curious about the progress they are making at QCS, here are a few pics taken today. It is finally above ground level, but the progress seems a bit slow.

33087667.jpg

33087669.jpg

33087675.jpg

33087727.jpg

I must comment on this thing. First of all, it is never going to happen. Why? Because they will build the smaller one first and it will sit empty for years or further create vacancies in other buildings in downtown. Then the developer will have no incentive to go ahead with the taller building. What should have happened here in my opinion: Convergys should have located to Queen City Square instead of recycled space at the Atrium buildings. QCSquare will never be built unless a large corporation decides to locate their corporate headquarters there. It also will never be built unless vacancy rates downtown drop significantly. I will say, however, I think new development forces other building owners to upgrade their buildings. Competition is a good thing. Again, my prediction: No tall Queen City Square building this decade. And furthermore, it is the ugliest most dated looking building of late. It has no context with that end of town and looks ridiculously out of place. In fact, I would argue that it harms the skyline.

^Although much of what you say is true, keep in mind that high vacancy rates don't always equal 'no new towers' or at least it's not the ONLY indicator. In 1989-1991, Cleveland's CBD had a vacancy rate around 20% (pretty bad) - nevertheless, Key Tower was built and the vacancy rate actually improved afterwards.

As far as the design, when you say "ugliest and dated"... can you offer some specifics? I personally don't care for the crown but I can live with the rest of it.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I disagree with that entire post. Phase 2 will be built. I confirmed this myself when phase 1 was starting construction earlier this year. The plan is in place, they want the old garage down and they want the tower up. Low vacancy rates DO NOT decide if a building will be built or not. Both Dayton's One Dayton Centre and 5/3 Center were built with low vancancy rates. Enquirer in Cincy was, and even Convergys.

Although the new design is totally hush-hush, I do know the tower is going to be just as different from the original design as the first phase is different. If you don't know how different, compare the two renderings side by side and you'll see.

As for being ugly and out of place? I think not. While downtown Cincy looks good, one thing has always bothered me with the look. There is no seperation. QCS will add that. It will make Cincy appear that much bigger which it really needs in this day and age that every other tower being built seems to be at least 600+.

The crown I think is a nice touch and everyone seems to be missing the whole point of the crown. This is the Queen City...the building is named Queen City...the crown is supposed to represent a Queen's crown. that is the whole point of it. The crown is my favorite touch to the whole building and is IMHO better than your everyday pyramid crown being stuck on every building being built these days.

I guess what everyone is really saying is that they want another 20 story "box" built in the middle of all the other "boxes" in Cincy? Is that what I'm hearing??

I'm sorry for the harshness of this reply, but I am getting ever so frustrated with the negativity of something that Cincinnati needs so deeply. Carew is old, downtown Cincy is struggling, and we haven't had a high-rise built in more than a decade (I don't count phase 1 as a high-rise). It is time for this too happen. It needs to happen. It will happen. I'll bet 50 bucks on it. Any takers?

While writing that last post, I came to a stunning realization that the designers were watching Forbidden Planet while designing QCS...

Robby the Robot

queencitysquare-1.jpg

Queen City Square

Robby_the_Robot.jpg

Robby the Robot? Queen City Square? Is there a correlation?

Ronnie, I'm well aware of the crown/Queen City reference - it's that there is little cohesion between the crown and the rest of the tower. It just seems like a hoop skirt turned sideways and "plunked" on top of a stretched out version of Sacramento's US Bank Plaza http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=1514 The crown *could* work (imho) if they made a better attempt at integrating into the rest of the tower.

I just found a new tidbit on QCS I have never seen before. Nothing big, just a pic that includes what looks like a site-map...

cmgr_img9220.jpg

I wish I could get a more detailed closeup of this. It may lend to some insight of this project.

Ronnie,

I appreciate your reply. While I would love to see something built there, I am not sure this is the right design, mass, or time for the project. What it could do is get 5/3 off its ass to exercise its air rights over Fountain Place and build the 25 story building it has proposed. If that happens the market will be way over built and buildings will be empty thus creating another decade long drought of building. I would rather see several medium sized infill projects than one huge buliding creating too much space. There is a lot of need for infill downtown. By the way, I love the reference to Robbie the Robot.

By the way, the Enquirer Building was supposed to be two phases. Only one got built because of a lack of market demand. I fear the same for the current two phase project.

By the way' date=' the Enquirer Building was supposed to be two phases. Only one got built because of a lack of market demand. I fear the same for the current two phase project.[/quote']

Dammit! You beat me to it. I was going to bring that up too.

I also love the Robbie the Robot reference. That's just great.

I must say, I think this new tower looks sweet in the renderings and I couldn't agree more with some of you that the location is perfect. Downtown Cincy doesn't need anymore skyscrapers in the middle, because it's already so damn dense there! They'd have to tear down stuff to build there. I think if this tower gets built, it will be a fine example of post-modern architecture. I agree it looks slightly dated, but isn't that what post-modern building is all about- recycling what's good about old art deco skyscrapers? I doubt the height will go much over 600 feet, but that's still a big skyscraper and if Cincy got a 950 foot building it would look weird. Cincy really isn't big enough for a Key Tower. Some of you guys wanting a Key Tower sized building are being too greedy. I'd kill for a 600 foot building in Toledo!- right smack in the middle of downtown on the big surface lot by N. Huron. Key Tower in Cleveland has two other big monster skyscrapers next to it that are complimented by the numerous 300-600 foot ones, so it looks okay. I always think it looks weird to have just one superskyscraper without anything else to compliment it (Des Moines for example). Cincy is mostly 400 foot boxes and 600 feet would compliment that nicely. 950 feet would look so out of place.

Once again, I really love the designs you guys have been posting. I love the color and setbacks on the tower, but since I love pyramids, I think they should replace the top with a stainless steel pyramid. This would really give Cincy's skyline a boost. I hope that one post I read about the tower never being built isn't true. I would love to see this thing get built and takeover the Carew Tower as Cincy's tallest building (I love Carew, but it's time for something new to reign king).