WhoDey

Cincinnati: Crime & Safety Discussion

I would bet that 9/10 people who pop their shirts off in a violent confrontation at Waffle House end up getting tased, whether they started the fight or not.

I thought about it again and realized I actually worked with the guy twice -- each time he only lasted for like 3 weeks.  There was about a 2 year gap between those two 3-week stints.  The guy wouldn't stay on-task and went around the place harassing coworkers.  I remember at least twice he came up behind me while I was on the phone and shoved his fingers into my arm pits like some sort of weird tomahawk chop.  The last I heard of the guy, he had been arrested for selling cocaine at The Pavillion in Mt. Adams and was on house arrest in Mt. Auburn.  

26 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I would bet that 9/10 people who pop their shirts off in a violent confrontation at Waffle House end up getting tased, whether they started the fight or not.

Yeah, you have to be able to recognize that someone has legit mental health problems and just avoid them.  

I was just thinking that I don't remember hearing about murders so frequently in recent years. Homicides are actually down for the year but the month of June was terrible:

June was the deadliest month in Cincinnati in at least 19 years

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/crime-and-courts/2019/06/28/june-has-been-deadliest-month-cincinnati-since-2010/1584618001/

2 hours ago, Ram23 said:

I was just thinking that I don't remember hearing about murders so frequently in recent years. Homicides are actually down for the year but the month of June was terrible:

June was the deadliest month in Cincinnati in at least 19 years

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/crime-and-courts/2019/06/28/june-has-been-deadliest-month-cincinnati-since-2010/1584618001/

Almost all of the shootings in otr this year have taken near grant part. A 14 year old dies in the same damn spot where a 37 year old was shot and killed.

Why isn't their 24/7 CPD patrol for this periemeter? It's clear since the closing of Findley playground that grant park has taken over as the hub. 

I understand if the shootings in otr were spaced out everywhere in otr.. But it's almost always the same spot

Chaos at the Courthouse:

Chaos erupts as former judge Tracie Hunter dragged off to serve 6-month sentence

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/crime-and-courts/2019/07/18/judge-order-tracie-hunter-serve-6-month-jail-sentence/1716893001/

"This city is going to burn!" a supporter yelled at one point.

Moments after Dinkelacker ordered Hunter to jail, a woman rushed along the courtroom wall, toward the table where Hunter sat. Two deputies restrained the woman and forced her to sit in a chair.

As that was happening, Hunter stood and a female, African-American deputy approached Hunter. Hunter then allowed her body to go limp.

The deputy, holding Hunter under her arms, then dragged Hunter – both feet dragging along the carpet – out of the courtroom.

• Like 1

^ She is 10 ways to Sunday crazy. The sad thing is that she has so many defenders who neglect the fact that she was completely unqualified for her position and the only reason why she is in jail is because she wasted so many resources and held utter contempt for the court proceedings that brought her to justice.

• Like 1

Other then the fact that she's black, and people are appeasing black protesters/voters, I see no reason why anyone is sticking up for this lunatic.  If Hunter were white and pulled the same crap everyone would just think send that lunatic to jail.  When did this new rhetoric start of white collar crime not needing jail time?  Our elected officials should be held to even higher standards then regular citizens.  Don't commit the crime if you don't want to do the time.  

• Like 1

^ Keep that same energy for college rapists who are given probation because their rape was a first offense and they come from a good family. There is no need to jail a non-violent first offender like Tracie Hunter. Only in America would we lock someone like her in a cage for 6 months for what she is accused of doing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Other then the fact that she's black, and people are appeasing black protesters/voters, I see no reason why anyone is sticking up for this lunatic.  If Hunter were white and pulled the same crap everyone would just think send that lunatic to jail.  When did this new rhetoric start of white collar crime not needing jail time?  Our elected officials should be held to even higher standards then regular citizens.  Don't commit the crime if you don't want to do the time.  

It was a pretty tame offense and her first. You can't remove the fact that she's black from the situation. The context matters, and we have a history of locking up black people for low level offenses that white people get slaps on the wrist for. I don't know if that is what is going on here but you can't deny that the optics fit a long history of unequal treatment.

1 hour ago, edale said:

^ Keep that same energy for college rapists who are given probation because their rape was a first offense and they come from a good family. There is no need to jail a non-violent first offender like Tracie Hunter. Only in America would we lock someone like her in a cage for 6 months for what she is accused of doing. 

Those people should for sure get thrown in jail as well.  This isn't some incident of a guy getting picked of for weed possession.  This is an elected official knowingly breaking the law.  To say it's a tame offense that shouldn't merit jail time, after all the shit her and her supporters have done, is a slap in the face to the idea of a judicial system.  Like Jake said she's has plenty of opportunities to avoid jail time if that was the ultimate goal, but clearly the goal was to cause a spectacle.  Maybe if Hunter didn't act like a child throughout this entire process I'd have any sympathy for her.  Instead she made them drag her from the court room and is now putting out a bs claim that she was injured while being taken to jail.  The way she's acted she deserves to sit in jail.  And all the local democrats calling for her to not go to jail just so they can keep their black votes are looking like a bunch of idiots.  For people like me who are very much in the middle between the two parties the city and county democrats have done nothing to improve their standing in the public's eye the last couple of years.  

Honestly I think the whole act is a giant attempt to win money in lawsuits.  She was awarded $900k+ to cover legal fees for her provisional ballot issue back in 2010, and then continued to be paid her $121,000 salary even after the Ohio Supreme Court stripped her of her duties as judge after she was indicted for no less than 8 felonies.  

Remember, she's always the victim, no matter how blatantly she invents her problems.  

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/23/joe-deters-mike-dewine-send-national-guard-cincinnati/1808836001/

This right here is why our city struggles with urban population growth.

When you live in Mason or west Chester, never in a million years will you have to worry about your streets having to be patrolled by armed national guard troops with automatics to curb gangsters and violence. 

This is what happens after decades of centering all social services in the urban core...time to bring some of the services to blue Ash, Montgomery, mason. Spread the love!

The people living in a place as dull as West Chester Township would never move into a city anywhere, regardless of if the National Guard showed up. The people moving to cities generally have at least some idea of what they’re getting into - if they didn’t, everyone would have left cities like New Orleans decades ago, which has waaaaaay worse problems than Cincinnati does. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

12 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

The people living in a place as dull as West Chester Township would never move into a city anywhere, regardless of if the National Guard showed up. The people moving to cities generally have at least some idea of what they’re getting into - if they didn’t, everyone would have left cities like New Orleans decades ago, which has waaaaaay worse problems than Cincinnati does. 

Its not even about crime ..Its about the perception of crime.

Say you were a 24 year old grad student who just landed a job at p and g or any other Downtown based company. Maybe the thought pops up of moving close to the urban core to cut commute times, plus because you enjoy Downtown night life offerings...

Then a headline this appears about armed national guard troops guarding every street corner with a rifle by there side as if it's a 3rd world south American city. 

This makes you go nope, screw that I'd rather move to Oakley or pleasant ridge. 

Poverty breeds crime, and this is exactly what happens when your city is full of poor people and social services founded in the urban core. Sure crime happens everywhere, but crime is lessened when you have a massive influx of wealthy residents which pushes the poverty else where. 

Obviously we are urban centric on this forum.. we want our downtown and surrounding urban neighborhoods to succeed but you can't do this when so much of your downtown caters to the poor instead of the rich.

1 hour ago, troeros said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/23/joe-deters-mike-dewine-send-national-guard-cincinnati/1808836001/

This right here is why our city struggles with urban population growth.

When you live in Mason or west Chester, never in a million years will you have to worry about your streets having to be patrolled by armed national guard troops with automatics to curb gangsters and violence. 

This is what happens after decades of centering all social services in the urban core...time to bring some of the services to blue Ash, Montgomery, mason. Spread the love!

Price hill isn’t even in the urban core. But please continue to freak out about every negative mention you can find. This is just Deters being an idiot per usual. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, troeros said:

Its not even about crime ..Its about the perception of crime.

Say you were a 24 year old grad student who just landed a job at p and g or any other Downtown based company. Maybe the thought pops up of moving close to the urban core to cut commute times, plus because you enjoy Downtown night life offerings...

Then a headline this appears about armed national guard troops guarding every street corner with a rifle by there side as if it's a 3rd world south American city. 

This makes you go nope, screw that I'd rather move to Oakley or pleasant ridge. 

Poverty breeds crime, and this is exactly what happens when your city is full of poor people and social services founded in the urban core. Sure crime happens everywhere, but crime is lessened when you have a massive influx of wealthy residents which pushes the poverty else where. 

Obviously we are urban centric on this forum.. we want our downtown and surrounding urban neighborhoods to succeed but you can't do this when so much of your downtown caters to the poor instead of the rich.

There are plenty of young people who live downtown and every year more young people move here and to OTR. I would know because I’ve lived downtown the last six years. Who do you think are filling all these new apartments? Only old people? 

7 hours ago, edale said:

There is no need to jail a non-violent first offender like Tracie Hunter. Only in America would we lock someone like her in a cage for 6 months for what she is accused of doing. 

I think that when an elected official, particularly a judge, exhibits corrupt and illegal behavior they should be given a stiff punishment. It's a significantly worse transgression than the average non-violent white-collar crime because the victims are the public at large. The average Joe who commits a first time, non-violent act like fraud may have victimized one or a few people. Ms. Hunter victimized the entire population of Hamilton County with her disservice.

16 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I think that when an elected official, particularly a judge, exhibits corrupt and illegal behavior they should be given a stiff punishment. It's a significantly worse transgression than the average non-violent white-collar crime because the victims are the public at large. The average Joe who commits a first time, non-violent act like fraud may have victimized one or a few people. Ms. Hunter victimized the entire population of Hamilton County with her disservice.

Ok, so your boy Trump should be given a life sentence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, edale said:

Ok, so your boy Trump should be given a life sentence.

So you have no retort to elected officials should be held to a higher standard then regular citizens? No response for the multiple times she could have avoided jail time but willingly chose to pass up those opportunities? No answer for why she acted like a complete idiot and brought all of this on herself? You just resort to bringing up other people who should be also in jail. Way to make your case. 

10 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

It was a pretty tame offense and her first. You can't remove the fact that she's black from the situation. The context matters, and we have a history of locking up black people for low level offenses that white people get slaps on the wrist for. I don't know if that is what is going on here but you can't deny that the optics fit a long history of unequal treatment.

The sentence had nothing to do with her being black. It had everything to do with the fact that 1) she made a complete mockery of the trial and showed complete disrespect to the Court and judge throughout the trial. Her behavior was contemptuous. Now that alone is not the sole reason why she was in jail, but 2) she was a member of the judiciary so she is also going to be held to a higher standard, just as members of the bar would be. If any lawyer acted that way before a judge, they would be in jail too.

So no, being black has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.