WhoDey

Cincinnati: Crime & Safety Discussion

I'm lucky that in most ways the things I like aren't popular with criminals. I see people whose tastes are the same as criminals get stuff stolen constantly.

Someone stole CDs out of a friends car once. She was a big Edith Piaf fan. She found the discarded CDs about half a block away.

Do people still steal car stereos?  I thought the secondary market on those was nearly dead.  I'd think that most people who break into cars thesedays are looking for ipads, ipods, laptops, cell phones, etc.

I had two friends w/ their bikes parked within 10 feet of each other. One was locked, one wasn't. The locked one got stolen. I guess locking bikes is pointless?

That depends on what type of lock you use.  An 8mm threaded wire chain can be cut fairly easy with a pair of snips and could be done rather quickly without raising any suspicion.  A U-lock would require much more effort.  I don't have anywhere good to mount a U-lock on my bike given my other add-ons, so I use a kevlar lock, which I consider to be better than the threaded wire.  At the same thickness it is more difficult to cut.

One mistake I saw somebody do was put the U-lock around the wheel and not the frame..... at least that is what I assume happened because all that was left that I saw was the U-lock and the wheel (which had one of those quick release latches on it).

Cincinnati wants to crack down on prostitution. One of the things council members want to do is publish the names of convicted customers. No idea if the local media wants to publish the info.

The thing is, these guys are doing what they are doing so can you really shame them?

I'd go with regulated legalization but I don't know if a city can do that. Is it a state issue?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2014/05/07/citys-proposed-john-crackdown-getting-buzz/8802689/

Cincinnati's CompStat crime statistics are in the following link.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/linkservid/6D6109F8-B712-4B5A-B8E43F449797638D/showMeta/0/

Homicides are up quite a bit, however if you've been following them you know it's been almost entirely a very small subset of people involved in these shootings. Nearly all are people with criminal backgrounds. And I think 90% have been African American. It's crazy and tragic, but it's gonna take a long time to break that cycle of urban black on black violence.

Rape is up slightly but there are debates as to whether it's that women are feeling more empowered to report rapes than in the past, as compared with an actual increase in rape. Either way, that's the second low point on the overall city report.

After those two, most other violent crime and property crime categories are down double digits compared to the 3 year average. That all with no recruit class since 2008 and quite a bit less officers than just 2-3 years ago. (City estimates 30-40 retire a year)

In district 1 nearly every crime is down significantly compared to the 3 year average.

Central business section has had a horrible 2014 compared to 2013 for property crimes, but is still below the 3 year average.

Although it doen't sound all that new to me...

Police try new way to make Cincinnati's streets safer

Six months ago, Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell began a little experiment. He assigned two officers to walk a beat in Over-the-Rhine, focused on the bustling Gateway Quarter on Vine Street, and he gave them three objectives: Get to know everyone; make life better for area residents, businesses and visitors; and above all, stop the growing number of street robberies frightening people away from one of the city's economic engines.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/2014/05/20/police-try-quality-life-patrols/9361481/

"Growing number of street robberies..." Nope. It's down 4% from 2013 (YTD) and down 38% from the three year average. Fear mongering.

So what about that UC student who disappeared?  Crazy story.  Up at OSU they had a grad student completely disappear back in 2006 or 2007.  They had footage of him walking in but not walking out and the bar had no back door because it was on the second floor. 

Unfortunately a lot of these security systems you see that have 25 cameras pointed in every direction delete their data automatically after 24 hours.  So since people usually aren't reported missing within 24 hours some of that footage from area businesses had certainly been deleted. 

^ As horrific as this story is, let's not condemn all of CUF until other details are known.  No one's more concerned than all of Cincinnati--exactly what happened to this 21-yr. old student?!

So what about that UC student who disappeared?  Crazy story.  Up at OSU they had a grad student completely disappear back in 2006 or 2007.  They had footage of him walking in but not walking out and the bar had no back door because it was on the second floor. 

Unfortunately a lot of these security systems you see that have 25 cameras pointed in every direction delete their data automatically after 24 hours.  So since people usually aren't reported missing within 24 hours some of that footage from area businesses had certainly been deleted. 

Ours goes 2 weeks but we only have the 8 camera system. A 16 camera system would go half as long with the same size hard drive (1TB). But if you're running a bar you want a monster system.

The way the police/media are reporting on the Dulle kid is really bugging me. They report he disappeared between Mac's Pizza and his apartment but don't giv the address of the apartment - so he disappeared between the pizza place and the rest of the world.

They have security footage of him that shows what he was wearing but they don't release a still, they just give a vague description. A blue shirt?

They report the last position of his phone was Avondale but nobody even releases what intersection it was near.

I don't get it.

The way the police/media are reporting on the Dulle kid is really bugging me. They report he disappeared between Mac's Pizza and his apartment but don't giv the address of the apartment - so he disappeared between the pizza place and the rest of the world.

They have security footage of him that shows what he was wearing but they don't release a still, they just give a vague description. A blue shirt?

They report the last position of his phone was Avondale but nobody even releases what intersection it was near.

I don't get it.

Yeah it doesn't add up at all.  And I don't understand why we were told earlier last week that the cell phone ping in Avondale was somehow irrelevant to the case. 

The building was being renovated. No one would be home and there was no reason to suspect he would be in the building based on the exterior (no broken windows, etc). It's strange how when something like this happens, people feel the need to assign blame to people for not finding him fast enough.

It's been reported that the police knocked on the door, checked the exterior - but that's all they can legally do. You can't just barge into buildings.

This thread is starting to hit an Urban Ohio all-time low spreading horrible rumors and making light of a terrible situation.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

call the building owner?

Im assuming they did that. That's how they found the body.

From the 'warp

"Dulle's body was found hanging in the basement of the building after a female landlord went to the property to check on it and smelled a foul odor, Blackwell said.

She spotted a male figure inside and called to report a breaking-and-entering."

Can we lock this thread and remove some of the past few posts? This is not the Daily Mail. Have some respect for the family, please.

I'm not seeing anybody here rumor mongering. It appears WLW was and there is a seriously psychotic comment on the Enquirer.

Since there was a police investigation, crime discussion seems to be the best place for the discussion.

We don't need to repost what the WLW says on here. Or what the comments at the Enquirer are going after. This is not the forum for that, and those comments have been removed.

I can’t remember a missing persons case that garnered this much attention, yet included such little information from the police. As was pointed out, there was security footage, address information, etc. that wasn’t made public until after the body was recovered. In hindsight, it wouldn’t have changed the outcome, but that’s no excuse for withholding info. I won’t speculate further, but there were also telltale signs of depression prior to the disappearance. In my opinion, this case is just another example of how no one takes mental health seriously, and the huge stigma that society puts upon it. We tend to shame people who commit suicide, when what we should be doing is asking why as a society we aren’t better at preventing it.

This recent case got more attention from a missing person i have seen in a long long time. There is a 19 year old girl that's still missing and did not get the 1000's of volunteers and a $25,000 that this case has gotten.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/colerain-township/19-year-old-woman-missing-from-colerain-township-home

I cant remember a missing persons case that garnered this much attention, yet included such little information from the police. As was pointed out, there was security footage, address information, etc. that wasnt made public until after the body was recovered. In hindsight, it wouldnt have changed the outcome, but thats no excuse for withholding info. I wont speculate further, but there were also telltale signs of depression prior to the disappearance. In my opinion, this case is just another example of how no one takes mental health seriously, and the huge stigma that society puts upon it. We tend to shame people who commit suicide, when what we should be doing is asking why as a society we arent better at preventing it.

The grassroots search campaign turned into a spectacle.  Yard signs, t-shirts, a blocked off street, etc.

I'm worried that if one more bizarre twist emerges from this we're going to have the full-on Dateline NBC special, etc. 

This recent case got more attention from a missing person i have seen in a long long time. There is a 19 year old girl that's still missing and did not get the 1000's of volunteers and a $25,000 that this case has gotten.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/colerain-township/19-year-old-woman-missing-from-colerain-township-home

They did the same thing - gave one address & not the other - so, where to look?