Cincinnati: Crime & Safety Discussion

WhoDey

Guest jmecklenborg

An OTR bartender was beaten and almost killed Saturday night either as the bar was closing or after she left the premises.  The victim required emergency surgery due to head trauma.  I don't know this person but I assume that we'll see it in the news shortly. 

An OTR bartender was beaten and almost killed Saturday night either as the bar was closing or after she left the premises.  The victim required emergency surgery due to head trauma.  I don't know this person but I assume that we'll see it in the news shortly. 

News article says she was only hit once, but then hit her head when she hit the ground.

http://www.fox19.com/story/38391033/cincinnati-police-man-struck-woman-in-face-after-minor-parking-lot-accident

Guest jmecklenborg

I don't know this person but I assume that we'll see it in the news shortly. 

Well actually I do.  This was one of those things where a bunch of people start talking about something on social media without saying the name.  So finally I asked someone since the name still hasn't been released.  She used to tend bar at Grammer's, which is where I remember her from. 

About treehouse, I had an enlightening experience talking at a bar with a few African American guys who love that place. I was surprised considering the press it's gotten. For my part, I had always avoided it because I assumed, as did my friends, that what they did was tantamount to profiling. But these guys said the so-called "dress code" was the very reason they liked it there, because the folks it keeps out are legit dangerous and the other clubs downtown don't take such precautions. Just thought that was an interesting counterpoint to pass along. It might attract some unsavory characters, but perhaps it's a good thing in the broader scheme of things.

That bar is way too loud. I can hear their music at 3 Points. And at Rosedale, the Treehouse's tunes are so loud it overpowers Rosedale's music.

The place is abrasive. Add the elements from above and I would not be surprised they get flagged as nuisance bar by police very soon.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest jmecklenborg

I'm starting to get sick of these demolition derbies that break out in front of bars at closing time. There's all this extra violence as people are hammered and trying to get out of DUIs by any means possible.

Yeah I probably made it to closing time 300-400 times in my 20s and never once got in a fight, argument, or any of that sidewalk drama that so many of these characters can't help but engage in.  If alcohol makes you yell and want to punch people and things then you shouldn't be drinking it. 

I think any guy who's willing to nearly kill a random woman with a cheap shot to the face, over something as trivial as her having witnessed a fender bender is probably a violent person regardless of the alcohol.

I'm glad this is staying in the news now, and I'm glad that article has a picture of the guy and of the car - hopefully he'll get caught just like the guy who almost killed the Lachey's bartender over some trivial nonsense. CPD and the media never really mention it, but there are tons of cameras all over OTR (between the actual police cameras and businesses/residents) so CPD probably knows a lot more than the news has been mentioning.

Just came out on NextDoor app.

Wanted for Felonious Assault

*** Update - Wanted for Felonious Assault - Lucien Lanier ***

On June 10th, 2018 at approximately 1255 AM District 1 officers responded to a reported assault at 1132 Sycamore St.

Lucien Lanier, male black 20-30 yoa driving a newer model 4 door sedan tan in color, was involved in a minor auto accident in the parking lot at 1132 Sycamore St.  Mr. Lanier then exited his vehicle and immediately approached the victim and struck her in the face one time.  The victim then fell to the ground and struck her head causing serious injury.  Mr. Lanier then smacked a phone from another individual who was attempted to record the incident before entering his vehicle and fleeing the scene in an unknown direction. 

On June 13th, 2018 Felonious Assault charges were signed on Mr. Lanier for his attack on the victim.  Anyone with information on Mr. Lanier's whereabouts is asked to call the District 1 Investigative Unit or CRIMESTOPPERS at 513.352.3040.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, subocincy said:

FWIW (pun intended), this is now how we reward bad behavior.  It doesn't get any better than this:

https://www.wlwt.com/article/city-kroger-to-pay-dollar240000-to-family-of-11-year-old-shocked-with-taser-by-police/24429931

That whole story has been ridiculous. When I was a kid, if the cops had brought me home to my mother and told her they had to taze me because I tried to steal $50+ worth of crap and didn't listen when they caught me, the tazing would have been the least of my worries.

Anyways, I feel really bad for the cop here. He followed the rules as they were written, stopped a theft in progress, and now the city is putting him through the wringer.  I'm also upset about the precedent this sets - I'd be curious to see what that Kroger's shrinkage has been at that store recently. Everyone under the age of 16 now knows they can get away with stealing whatever they want, and if they're really lucky - they'll get an extra $240,000.

• Like 2

Guest jmecklenborg

The apology letter is sad.  This girl is 11 and can't compose a 2-sentence statement. 

I suspect a Blake Maislin or similar character will be collecting 40% of that settlement. 

Just now, jmecklenborg said:

The apology letter is sad.  This girl is 11 and can't compose a 2-sentence statement. 

I suspect a Blake Maislin or similar character will be collecting 40% of that settlement. 

There was absolutely no reason to publish that letter. 

If he wanted to use it for political gain, he would have arrested them right before the election. This is likely just the logical point where they felt confident they could arrest the family. Not sure what you're insinuating with that comment.

All of this was over the custody of a newborn baby allegedly.

Guest jmecklenborg

There was too much risk that something wild would happen during the arrest and Cordray would turn it around on him.  So these clowns got to roam free for weeks and months so that they wouldn't become a factor in the gubernatorial campaign. 

2 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

If he wanted to use it for political gain, he would have arrested them right before the election. This is likely just the logical point where they felt confident they could arrest the family. Not sure what you're insinuating with that comment.

All of this was over the custody of a newborn baby allegedly.

The Australian media was convinced it was about demolition derby cars.

Guest jmecklenborg

This has 60 Minutes Australia written all over it.  Our 60 MInutes actually does some real investigative journalism.  Theirs is sub-Dateline. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.facebook.com/131039400251923/posts/2096949580327552/

Large powerful generator lights illuminating north of liberty streets at night. 

Will this work? Especially during the summer when crime rises in North of Liberty? I would personally like to see many more of these units installed all throughout North of Liberty, especially the more dim lit, and vacant streets. 

I would also like to see maybe similar tactics used for the U-Square in Clifton, where over head speakers will play nice classical music by Mozart and Beethoven. I head it creates a calming effect. Add that with additional patrols in the summer for North of Liberty. I could see a murder rate of 1-2 if those tactics are to be applied? 

Also...How many murders were there in OTR this year? I'm just curious about what the current trends are. I want to say there have been 5-6 murders for OTR in 2018 (thus far), but I could be wrong. I'm curious what 2017, and the years prior were as well. Anyone have any data sheets that they could point to?

I just found out that Tender Mercies on 12th Street between Race and Vine has been housing a serial criminal in the neighborhood.  This individual is someone I have to call the police on multiple times per week and have had to testify in court against on two different occasions.  I used to think they were one of the more responsible non-profits in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, over the last few years of living in the area it has become clear that they don't hold their tenants to any standards and house quite a few individuals actively involved in crime in the neighborhood.  I'm just putting this out here so that you can be on your guard if you hear of any Tender Mercies developments being planned in your area (like in the West End right now).

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

On 12/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, troeros said:

https://www.facebook.com/131039400251923/posts/2096949580327552/

Large powerful generator lights illuminating north of liberty streets at night. 

Will this work? Especially during the summer when crime rises in North of Liberty? I would personally like to see many more of these units installed all throughout North of Liberty, especially the more dim lit, and vacant streets. 

I would also like to see maybe similar tactics used for the U-Square in Clifton, where over head speakers will play nice classical music by Mozart and Beethoven. I head it creates a calming effect. Add that with additional patrols in the summer for North of Liberty. I could see a murder rate of 1-2 if those tactics are to be applied? 

Also...How many murders were there in OTR this year? I'm just curious about what the current trends are. I want to say there have been 5-6 murders for OTR in 2018 (thus far), but I could be wrong. I'm curious what 2017, and the years prior were as well. Anyone have any data sheets that they could point to?

I live downtown and they used these on my block on a few different weekends this year. They move them around. Not sure they are necessary where I live since it's pretty well lit and there isn't much crime anyway. 

2 hours ago, bfwissel said:

I just found out that Tender Mercies on 12th Street between Race and Vine has been housing a serial criminal in the neighborhood.  This individual is someone I have to call the police on multiple times per week and have had to testify in court against on two different occasions.  I used to think they were one of the more responsible non-profits in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, over the last few years of living in the area it has become clear that they don't hold their tenants to any standards and house quite a few individuals actively involved in crime in the neighborhood.  I'm just putting this out here so that you can be on your guard if you hear of any Tender Mercies developments being planned in your area (like in the West End right now).

Did you reach out to Tender Mercies? What did they say?

1 hour ago, jwulsin said:

Did you reach out to Tender Mercies? What did they say?

I've been reaching out to Tender Mercies for quite some time now.  I even gave them some money a few years ago to help with their lighting issues.  However, their line that they're good neighbors that hold their tenants accountable is complete bunk.  It took them a year to put the screws on one of their tenants who was regularly tossing garbage and containers of his urine out the window.  A prostitute that's been heavily engaged in drugs as well as has been recruiting others to join her has been causing issues for nearly a year now.  Karl (the one I previously mentioned who's been causing issues for years) lives there and was even featured in a one of their Facebook posts recently.  Any pressure they put on the people there is weak at best.  They're now the main source of drug dealing/abuse as well as prostitution in the area and frankly they don't care.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

12 minutes ago, bfwissel said:

I've been reaching out to Tender Mercies for quite some time now.  I even gave them some money a few years ago to help with their lighting issues.  However, their line that they're good neighbors that hold their tenants accountable is complete bunk.  It took them a year to put the screws on one of their tenants who was regularly tossing garbage and containers of of his urine out the window.  A prostitute that's been heavily engaged in drugs as well as has been recruiting others to join her has been causing issues for nearly a year now.  Karl (the one I previously mentioned who's been causing issues for years) lives there and was even featured in a one of their Facebook posts recently.  Any pressure they put on the people there is weak at best.  They're now the main source of drug dealing/abuse as well as prostitution in the area and frankly they don't care.

I would send an email blast to city council and the local media outlets about this.

2 minutes ago, troeros said:

I would send an email blast to city council and the local media outlets about this.

The final straw of them harboring Karl was something I just found out on Friday.  I've got some year-end and holiday work to do, but I plan on making on making it my mission to put a spotlight on them after the New Year.  There's nothing I hate more than non-profits that are bad neighbors especially at this scale.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question for you all...I have been highly considering moving to Northside with my girlfriend but I'm just curious about what sort of crime exists in this neighborhood?

Alot of my friends from sycamore highschool, Mason highschool have moved to Northside in the past few months and many of girlfriends coworkers live in Northside as well...

I've never really encountered much crime there when I'm down there for the bars/restaurants...and have noticed over the past few years the area has become very white washed. It seems like the housing market has pushed much of the blacks out of Northside from what I understand.

I've found rent prices in Northside are very similar to Hyde Park and Oakley so I'm curious how do the crime statistics match up, because from what I've seen on the news Northside has really cleaned up in the past 5 years to the point where it's hardly mentioned any more regarding crime on the news.

3 hours ago, Robuu said:

There is still significantly more crime in Northside than in Oakley or Hyde Park. It is getting to be less as housing costs increase, though the diversity of the neighborhood is suffering as a result.

Any data? I believe it, but I still don't really recall hearing much about shootings

20 minutes ago, troeros said:

Any data? I believe it, but I still don't really recall hearing much about shootings

Click on any one of the buttons in the link below for the data you are looking for. Sort by neighborhood to Northside. The default view is the past 6 months.

https://insights.cincinnati-oh.gov/stories/s/Crime-Public-Safety/p6k7-269c/

I believe the map auto-updates daily.

• Thanks 1

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

• 5 months later...
Guest jmecklenborg

At first I didn't realize that I know the guy who is tearing up the McMillan St. Waffle House.  Then I recognized him as a guy who I worked with for about a month.  I always felt unsafe around the guy, like he might flip out at any moment.  The guy has legit mental health issues.  Then the police tase the wrong guy. 

Guest jmecklenborg

I thought about it again and realized I actually worked with the guy twice -- each time he only lasted for like 3 weeks.  There was about a 2 year gap between those two 3-week stints.  The guy wouldn't stay on-task and went around the place harassing coworkers.  I remember at least twice he came up behind me while I was on the phone and shoved his fingers into my arm pits like some sort of weird tomahawk chop.  The last I heard of the guy, he had been arrested for selling cocaine at The Pavillion in Mt. Adams and was on house arrest in Mt. Auburn.  

26 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I would bet that 9/10 people who pop their shirts off in a violent confrontation at Waffle House end up getting tased, whether they started the fight or not.

Yeah, you have to be able to recognize that someone has legit mental health problems and just avoid them.