Sign in to follow this  
Guest MyTwoSense

Living Car Free

Thanks everyone for the discourse. I think we shall just agree to disagree.  I have lived all over the west side of Cleveland including shacking up with guys that lived in Tremont and there is just no one neighborhood that would sort of "have it all" for me to be able to go without a car. I'm not saying I couldn't if I had to, but it would be very, very unenjoyable for me. I know we disagree as to why but I maintain that one of the primary reasons for this is not because I live in a suburb, but because I am a female.  I cannot make do on food from a convenience store.  I am NOT comfortable outside in bad weather, I hate it.  And I am not comfortable walking around most of the downtown neighborhoods by myself at night unless they are in the VERY immediate vicinity of a popular business such as a restaurant or bar. 

nobody's judging you sweetie  :-)

We all have different Modes of Operation.  You do what works well for you.  So go on with your bad self!  :mrgreen:

"I cannot make do on food from a convenience store."

Just to clarify, we're not talking mystery meat gas station burritos, this was a place that knew they lived in an area with a lot of single folks who made use of their prepared foods section - thus those prepared foods were a little better than what you're probably imagining. And I'm more tolerant of bad weather than you but it wasn't like that was my only option for days on end.

"because I am a female."

As a gay man, I totally appreciate and respect your comfort zone - I think both of "our peoples" have a heightened awareness of all things safety-related.

As a gay man, I totally appreciate and respect your comfort zone - I think both of "our peoples" have a heightened awareness of all things safety-related.

Amen to that.

"I cannot make do on food from a convenience store."

Just to clarify, we're not talking mystery meat gas station burritos, this was a place that knew they lived in an area with a lot of single folks who made use of their prepared foods section - thus those prepared foods were a little better than what you're probably imagining. And I'm more tolerant of bad weather than you but it wasn't like that was my only option for days on end.

"because I am a female."

I can imagine what you're talking about but we actually don't eat things like that, even when they're good quality.  We either cook at home from scratch, or as completely close to scratch as we can, or we eat out.  If we want something quick and don't want to cook, we just get takeout from somewhere.  We really limit processed foods. We do not eat ANY fast food for example, the only exception being that I occasionally have to eat at Subway when I am at my 2nd job as it's the only place in the mall food court I can tolerate eating that has food that's relatively healthy.

In terms of the safety, I completely agree, both our tribes have heightened awareness for sure and depending on the neighborhood, one or both of our groups would have something to worry about.  But you can't be identified as a member of your tribe just by looking at you walking down the street - my membership is more obvious.

In terms of the safety, I completely agree, both our tribes have heightened awareness for sure and depending on the neighborhood, one or both of our groups would have something to worry about.  But you can't be identified as a member of your tribe just by looking at you walking down the street - my membership is more obvious.

Not true, I know a few people who are on our team but convincingly look like they are from your tribe.

Not true, I know a few people who are on our team but convincingly look like they are from your tribe.

LOL, true dat. 

Rocker, just imagine if you ditched the car how many burritos and corn dogs you could be scarfing with all that exercise you'd be getting.  Last night I biked home in a steady 11pm downpour, dried off, then drove 1/2 mile to White Castle for a night cap. 

I would love to go car free, but with two young kids, both of which are in car seats, it is almost impossible I think...or maybe just an inconvenience.  But, with the price of gas, it would be great.  For anyone who is kid free, I really don't think it would be bad.  I must say in the summer months, we walk almost everywhere when we need something ( Parma Heights area).  As much of a bad wrap that area gets, believe it or not, it is very walkable.  The area is never noted as an urban area really, but in actuallity, you can treat it like one.  So, in short, we try to live car free, but sometimes it is just not possible. 

i should say my bro has been car-free in lorain for about 3-4 yrs now. he gets around via lct- lorain county transit busses, friends, & taxis mostly.

Amen to that.

I cannot speak for my 2 cents, but it is not like you are walking around in fishnets and a platinum wig! It is still worse for women. I do need a car for work...but fantasize about not having a car at all. I did the city wheel calculations  it is cheaper for us to keep our paid for car then do city wheels. If it were not for work, I would be happy with the scooter most of the year and take cabs, carpools and public transit in the winter. Everything I like is within 5 miles (or an airline flight) from my home...frankly I too would love an excuse such as not having a car, to not go to some functions/obligations of life (such as showers of any kind). Sad, but true,I guess!

I cannot speak for my 2 cents, but it is not like you are walking around in fishnets and a platinum wig!

Does that mean you are? If so, pictures please! naughty.gif

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

no what I meant Mayday has never been seem by me in fishnets etc. I canot speak for my 2 cents!

ummmm.  No I've never worn fishnets or panty hose.

You need to get out more.  :)

LOL.  Not in pantyhose or fishnets! 

NEWS RELEASE

CONTACT:  Mary Anne Crampton 216.521-0655 or macrampton@lcpi.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 5, 2008

WALK+ROLL™ COMES TO LAKEWOOD

LAKEWOOD, OH—  Main Street Lakewood and  Walk+Roll™ announce a joint event offering participants a unique car-free experience in Lakewood on Saturday, July 19th  from 4-9pm.

Walk+Roll™ Lakewood will be held on 2 miles of streets in the heart of Lakewood that are closed to motorized vehicles. Residents and visitors are encouraged to explore Lakewood’s lakefront park, its new #1-rated library and its vibrant downtown by foot, bicycle, wagon, stroller, wheelchair or any other non-motorized method. Programming will include aerobic classes, yoga, break dancing demonstrations, fencing, square dancing, bike safety instruction and more. All activities are free and will take place on nine street-side stages and in Lakewood Park. Visitors will have the opportunity to join “classes” on an impromptu basis.

This is the first Walk+Roll™ event to be held outside of Cleveland.  According to Walk+Roll™ founder, Lois Moss, “Walk+Roll promotes bicycling, walking, alternative transportation, public health and community-building through human-powered programs that combine fun with active learning and participation. With more than 50,000 residents, 185 miles of sidewalks, dozens of green spaces and a spectacular lakefront all within 5.5 square miles, Lakewood offers the ideal urban environment to celebrate car-free living.”

“This is a progressive and unique event for health, environmental and community-minded Ohioans,” said Mary Anne Crampton, executive director of Main Street Lakewood. “Lakewood immediately embraced the opportunity presented by Walk+Roll™.  This event celebrates our walkability, our culture and our history as well as promoting healthy, active lifestyles.”

Lakewood Hospital is the title sponsor of the event, which is presented in collaboration with the City of Lakewood.  Lakewood Hospital, The Beck Center for Cultural Arts, Lakewood YMCA, and Department of Recreation are among the more than one dozen organizations providing Walk+Roll™.  programming at the Lakewood event.  For more information go to www.walkroll.com

Main Street Lakewood is a program of Lakewood Community Progress Inc., a 501-c (3) tax-exempt organization dedicated to the revitalization of Lakewood’s historic downtown district.

###

OK, it's official. I'm going car-free starting July 1 ...with a condition.

I'm not getting rid of my car.

Let me explain. For the month of July, I'm writing a weekly series of articles for Sun Newspaper of what it's like to go car-free in Cleveland. Having been a contributing writer to the guidebook "Car-Free in Cleveland" which was published in 2000, I think it's about time I gave this a shot. And what better time with gas prices pushing past $4 per gallon?

I'll get into this more as I write the articles, but I thought I'd let you know that this was coming up. Wish me luck!!

Fantastic!  Make sure to deduct your insurance and car payments when you calculate your savings as you probably won't notice that adding up in just one month.  Also take note of the stress reduction you'll receive.  All that lack of looking for parking, getting cut off, waiting in traffic, and rushing to get there one minute earlier really adds up to a happier commute. 

Enjoy your new found freedom.

KJP, I'm not completely car free, but I used my car less than 10 times this year and only filled the tank three times!  I usually go to a place on PT, then bum a ride home.  lol  :wink:

I have faith, you'll learn to adapt as well.

Fantastic!  Make sure to deduct your insurance and car payments when you calculate your savings as you probably won't notice that adding up in just one month.  Also take note of the stress reduction you'll receive.  All that lack of looking for parking, getting cut off, waiting in traffic, and rushing to get there one minute earlier really adds up to a happier commute. 

Yeah, all that wasted time waiting for public transportation, losing the freedom to go somewhere whenever you want!  Always being at the mercy of others!  :wink2:

I usually go to a place on PT, then bum a ride home.  lol  :wink:

Note to those with similar interests:  MTS is looking to get picked up!  :-D

I've done my best to go semi car free lately (ever since I moved back home two Falls ago).

I live close enough to Legacy Village that I can go shopping at Giant Eagle once a week simply by walking down there.  I usually get a lift when going out to the restaurants or bars unless with family - then we drive...all of 2 minutes! 

I work out at my firm's gym two-three times a week and the other two times I drive to Bally's.  But hey, that's better than driving five times to the big B!

This may count as cheating, but when I go downtown I usually have people come over, we pregame (it's informally BYOB but I always have plenty), and then I - not always but often - hitch a ride downtown. 

When I crash at someone's place those nights - be it a hook up or just a friend's pad - (the latter quite a bit more common), I just rapid it back to the east side.

I take the Rapid every day to go to work, unless I have an interview and don't want to deal with buses and transfers, especially when I don't know the areas.  I do drive to the Rapid and park, however, since I don't feel like transfering 2 or 3 times to get there.

Let's see.  When I visit my sisters, I always drive though I have lately thought about taking a bus.  I only visit a couple times a month so it's not that big an issue.   

Though not so much in the winter, I usually jog to Borders (where I go about twice a week) at La Palace, relax for a few hours, and then jog right home.  It takes 8 minutes, tops, and I get a good work out.

I go to Coventry and/or Cedar/Lee at least once a week and informally carpool with a few friends who live in Beachwood and Chesterland.   

When I worked at the Cleveland Clinic (my last year at Case law), I took the 32X all the way down.  It dropped me right outside where I needed to be, and it was just a 10 minute walk to school (I worked before classes).  I would take the 9X home, though sometimes would get a lift from my dad (depending on my homework load).

Once/if I move downtown again, you can bet that my driving will be even more limited. 

Yeah, all that wasted time waiting for public transportation, losing the freedom to go somewhere whenever you want! Always being at the mercy of others!   :wink2:

You mean like OPEC, the Saudi Royal Family, ExxonMobil, Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, E-Check, Nader's Raiders, etc.?

I've bought a bicycle + helmet and U-lock ($200), a month-long transit pass ($63) and have several pairs of good walking shoes. I'm ready.

In June, I spent nearly $550 on my car -- three fill-ups, replacing a bad bearing (that was $282 of it), insurance and parking. In March I spent more than $500 for a car repair. Since it's an older car, I no longer make car payments, but I've now exchanged that cost for repairs.

Note to those with similar interests:  MTS is looking to get picked up!  :-D

LMAO!

Na. Its that if I take the bus to my grandparents house, my grandmother bribes me to stay by cooking and then I'm forced to spend the night and eat fabulous home cooked breakfast.  he he he

Or my grandfather gives me a ride home, "because I'm to old to be out on the streets after 10 PM" or one of my cousins will take me home.

If I go to my parents house and it's after 10 PM my brother will come over and give me ride home or my father will let my 15 y/o non licensed nephew drive to my house and back.  That's a ticket waiting to happen!

If I visit my family on the westside, they drop me off at W. 25 or Tower City to take the train home.

Also, If one of my cousins wants to go out, I make it a stipulation that whichever cousin asks, they have to bring me home, cause I'm not driving!  Luckily my cousin lives two buildings down and he ends up driving so everyone is happy.

If I visit my family on the westside, they drop me off at W. 25 or Tower City to take the train home.

Yeah, we didn't like to drive those east side family members home either!!!!!  Don't know what might happen when you cross that river!!

Yeah, we didn't like to drive those east side family members home either!!!!!  Don't know what might happen when you cross that river!!

If YOU PEOPLE did cross the river, you might get some culture!  damnit!

It makes no sense for them to drive me home when the rapid takes me to my door and because I never stay to late knowing I need to take the train thats perfect.

However, my Uncle is NOT crossing the Cleveland border no matter what side of the city he's on!

I've been living car free for 2 months, signed up for City Wheels (side note:  City Wheels will have 4 cars Downtown starting mid-July), and bumming rides along the way.  If you've got a bike and a monthly pass, you're good to go.

I've bought a bicycle + helmet and U-lock ($200), a month-long transit pass ($63) and have several pairs of good walking shoes. I'm ready.

FYI: Your $63 bus pass can be bought pre-tax through your employer, reducing it's cost to about $40 a month. ;)

I don't want to bum rides. Family have called me up and asked "can I give you a ride..." No thanks. That goes against the purpose of this experiment and, more importantly, against my own beliefs that I will not burden anyone. I'll continue to do the Tuesdays-only carpooling with one of my co-workers, but I asked her if she would be willing to ride the bus on the alternating Tuesdays when it would have been my turn to drive.

I don't want to bum rides. Family have called me up and asked "can I give you a ride..." No thanks. That goes against the purpose of this experiment and, more importantly, against my own beliefs that I will not burden anyone. I'll continue to do the Tuesdays-only carpooling with one of my co-workers, but I asked her if she would be willing to ride the bus on the alternating Tuesdays when it would have been my turn to drive.

Ryan McKenzie, of City Wheels fame, likes to say that relying on public transportation often means you end up relying on the public to transport you. :lol:

Yeah, all that wasted time waiting for public transportation, losing the freedom to go somewhere whenever you want!  Always being at the mercy of others!   :wink2:

Wasted time from what?  I maintain that you can get a lot more done on or waiting for a streetcar that you can in the few extra minutes you save by driving yourself.  When you're behind the wheel pretty much the only thing you can do is practice singing, or yelling.

I'm with you. I read, and with the time at home I normally would spend reading, I do other things. So I actually GAIN time in my day by using public transit.

I think it depends on your lifestyle and what you're using it for.  I used the bus yesterday for the first time to get to/from a doctor's appointment and while it went fairly smoothly, it took much, much longer than if I had driven there and back.  The place is literally a 5 minute drive away but the commute there took about 12 minutes with all the stops and with the wait for the bus on the way back plus the stops it took about 25 minutes.  Add on the hour I was at the doctor and it probably seemed like I was out of the office a really long time.  Many days I would not be able to be away from work for that long without getting really behind or getting into trouble.

I enjoy reading too and use my commute for that, but outside of to/from work, that is valuable personal free time that I'd much rather use playing basketball, working out, cooking, whatever that I can't do if I'm waiting for the bus. I think that's what the other poster was referring to - loss of personal time.

Tonight, I'm going out and taking the bus. We're starting out in Detroit Shoreway, which I'll take a bus to get to. I am hitching a ride downtown (though I could take PT there), where we'll spend a good portion of the night. Then we're going to a friend's house in ohio city, which I'll probably catch a ride to, though I could easily take PT there. I'll take the bus home to Tremont since the Abbey Avenue bridge and the area between it and west 11 can give me the creeps at 2 a.m.

I won't have lost any personal time. I'll leave a bit earlier for dinner and read on the bus, but I would otherwise be sitting at home.....and probably, well, reading.

ETA: I do drive to work when I need to run around for work or do something on my lunch break that's not walkable. Though it's not often MUCH time that I'd be spending on the bus/rapid compared to driving, it is SOME time, and that belongs to the employer. (Don't ask me why I make that distinction but on slow days check in on this message board throughout the day...)

Tomorrow is the start of the month-long (at least?!?) experiment.

And if you were planning to buy a new car, I wouldn't wait much longer. Otherwise you may not be able to afford one and you'll have to go car-free...

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,16179.0.html

Thomson Financial News

ArcelorMittal to hike prices paid by automotive industry by 60 pct

06.29.08, 1:14 PM ET

FRANKFURT (Thomson Financial) - ArcelorMittal plans to hike prices paid by car makers by 60 percent in several steps over the coming weeks and months in response to surging raw material costs, auto motor und sport said in prerelease of a report to be published Thursday.

Automotives vice-president Jean-Luc Maurange told the magazine that he is optimistic car-makers will accept the price hikes...

frederik.richter@thomsonreuters.com