Cleveland: Old Brooklyn Neighborhood Discussion

Guest musky

Continuing from the demolitions thread in Projects/Construction....

Malley's is a great idea. What other family-oriented businesses could be located in downtown Old Brooklyn to capitalize on the proximity of the zoo?

Theo's should do more advertising. I'll do my part with the word-of-mouth variety of advertising.... Had a burger at Theo's about a year ago. If I remember right, it was one of the best burgers I'd had in a long time.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I would like to see the old go kart place turned into a little park or community area/square...I think just cleaning up that corner could do a lot for downtown...and put lot of "Cleveland Only" type places down there...A Hotsauce Williams, sylmans, Whatever the best pizza place is in Cleveland...A mini GLBC bar...A really nice pierogi dinner/coffee joint...A reallllllly good hot dog shop...A sonic (They advertise around here enough, about time we get one)...stuff like that...Wouldn't be bad to get a Cleveland memorabilia store like the one in the arcade in one of those storefronts...

Memphis has a ton of bars, don't think downtown need a bunch more...

I would guess that the go kart place is pretty dirty.  And the view of the valley isn't the best from that site with all of the junk industry down there...otherwise, I'd suggest a nice patio overlooking the valley.  Why doesn't the city or OBCDC push some of those property owners to do something? 

I would guess that the go kart place is pretty dirty.  And the view of the valley isn't the best from that site with all of the junk industry down there...otherwise, I'd suggest a nice patio overlooking the valley.  Why doesn't the city or OBCDC push some of those property owners to do something? 

Are you on your community board or in good standing with them?  You have good ideas, maybe your joining could be the catalyst for change?

Have a relationship with your councilperson?  Contacting his office again could be a catalyst for change.  Bring others in your neighborhood that are vocal and care.

Sometimes all it takes is one person to get the ball rolling.

There was talk of putting a starbucks, or something similar in the old burger joint across the street from the go cart place a few years ago, but was decide the ability of traffic to get in and out of from the south of the street does was not marketable.

This is just perception, so please don't jump all over me if I'm off base.  My perception of "downtown" OB being neglected is the fact that OB is one of the most stable areas of Cleveland, as far as housing stock and % of homeowners. 

It is my hunch that directing city money to a "stable" neighborhood to redevelop the commercial areas have been difficult to obtain.  You look at where money is being invested in the City and it is in some of the more historically neglected neighborhoods which have resulted in some significant improvements in those areas (Ohio City, Tremont, Detroit Shoreway, etc.).

Unfortunately, it has taken a long time for the City to realize that it must focus significant resources on keeping the nice/stable areas of the City "nice and stable" so that those residents with means to leave, don't leave.  I see the redevelopment of Kamms Corner/Westpark as the first shift towards this...and I hope OB is next.

Old Brooklyn is split between two wards 15/16 with half of downtown OB in both of those wards.  I would hope that the combined strength of Cummins and Kelley could help turn it around.  Maybe demolishing some of these long-neglected buildings is a start.

First big story for the new thread:

Datacore Relocates Its Headquarters from Independence to Cleveland

Cleveland -

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Press Release- Cleveland, OH – July 26, 2007 

Datacore relocates its headquarters from Independence to Cleveland.– Datacore Consulting, a premier Managed Service Provider, is proud to announce the grand opening of its new Corporate Service Center.

The recent addition to Datacore’s facilities is located in the heart of Cleveland, just minutes away from all four of Cleveland’s major highways. Datacore’s team of engineers will now be able to service a wider array of markets with a 50% quicker response time.

Posted on:

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:08 PM

http://cleveland.dbusinessnews.com/shownews.php?newsid=129789&type_news=latest

The press release doesn't say anything about Old Brooklyn. How do we know that's where it's going?

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

"It is my hunch that directing city money to a "stable" neighborhood to redevelop the commercial areas have been difficult to obtain."

You're not too far off base - I don't have a lot of the details, but acquiring funds to redevelop a blighted area are much easier to obtain than funds to stabilize an already stable area. It's not always in the City's hands, though - a lot of available funds (especially anything from the feds) have certain restrictions about what can and can't be done.

All I recall along these lines is the typology that Cleveland recently used to determine how to concentrate its community development dollars. The rationale that came out of this analysis was that the city's dollars would be best used in transitional, emerging, etc. neighborhoods, rather than those that were most distressed and those that were most stable. Some dollars are being spread citywide (I think neighborhoods across the city are eligible for "Model Block" funds), but the majority of funds will go to those neighborhoods that are successfully building on their amenities but who are not strong enough yet to rely exclusively on private investment. As the city's sole neighborhood to earn the "Choice Neighborhood" typology, I think it's unlikely that they will be getting a substantial portion of the funds the city doles out. That being said,  the city accounts for only a portion of the funds available to neighborhoods. Still, I think OB will be relying heavily on private investments at this point.

Anyone have any news on the housing developments that were slated for that area? I seem to recall housing development on either side of the bridge by the zoo, as well as one adjacent to a church (name escapes me).

Excellent explanation, 8Shades!  Just to clarify a couple of items...

The rationale that came out of this analysis was that the city's dollars would be best used in transitional, emerging, etc. neighborhoods, rather than those that were most distressed and those that were most stable. 

I'm looking at a spreadsheet of the Model Blocks that have been awarded, and OBCDC received $20k for two of its Model Blocks (Marvin Av in Clark-Fulton and Spokane Av in OB).  I think this has to do with either 1) OBCDC doesn't really do development, or 2) there aren't enough vacant and abandoned properties that warrant the full $120k (revolving loan) for acquisition.  Collinwood & Nottingham CDC also received $20k for "home repair rebates" for residents.  Other CDCs, even ones serving fragile and distressed neighborhoods, received $80k-$120k for rebates and acquisition.

All Model Blocks had to possess an anchor upon which the neighborhood could be built.  And the program only addresses residential properties.

Mayday, I think you're on target with the blight.  I don't know the full details, but different project applications from the state and feds that I've completed award points based on if the census tract is of a certain income level or is in a blight area.

Anyone have any news on the housing developments that were slated for that area? I seem to recall housing development on either side of the bridge by the zoo, as well as one adjacent to a church (name escapes me).

The housing redevelopment on the south side of the Pearl Road bridge is the Krather Building and the one on the north side is in the Masonic Building. I regret to say I have not reported on those projects in a while and have no updates on them (EDIT: BBCDC says renovation work is continuing on the Krather Building). But the Krather Building is owned and being redeveloped by the owner of Yorktown Lanes. The Masonic Building is being redeveloped by Marous Brothers.

Was the one next to the church the redevelopment of the RTA Brooklyn Bus Garage? If so, that's still VERY early in the process.

Another update: The Krather Building is for sale!!

http://www.progressiveurban.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?view_details.x=1&mls=2373429&current_page=1&OfficeName=Progressive+Urban+Real+Estate&searchtype=Search_PURE_Listings&listcount=&sort=&resolution=

List Price: $675,000

4138 Pearl Rd.

Cleveland, oh, 44109

MLS Number: 2373429

Offered By: Progressive Urban Real Estate

Historic H. Krather Building!

Historic H. Krather bldg located in the heart of Old Brooklyn. 3 storefronts plus 2nd & 3rd flrs. Attached annex as well as stone-block outbuilding. Additional rear lots for parking. Full basement. Phase I & Phase II completed. In process of re-hab. Many of the major repairs completed. Downtown views.

Property Features

Square Footage: 21,005

^ That's great news.  Hopefully something can be done with the entire wedge up to the library, especially that old Scorchers.

I love that site for housing.  It's only a short walk from the library, shopping, and Deaconess.  It's hard for me to envision retail with all of the vacancy along Pearl, State, and Broadview.  From experience, a lot of local businesses who would want to locate on the street can't afford the rent of a new-construction building, and the nationals who can afford the rent don't necessarily want to be on the street!

Hopefully OBCDC and the Councilman Kelley allows the community to offer input on the project and plan.

There is 11 acres of land for sale on Spring Road, Just off of I-176 exit/entrance. I looked into the property and the asking price is $800,000. That was the end of my conversation. I wonder what that piece of land will turn into....

There is 11 acres of land for sale on Spring Road, Just off of I-176 exit/entrance. I looked into the property and the asking price is $800,000. That was the end of my conversation. I wonder what that piece of land will turn into....

Are you referring to the property east of the I-176 on the north side of Spring or that on the west side south of Spring?

On the former, I've seen people take ATVs and bikes down there.  I guess it's set up like a stunt track (or whatever the term is for it).  I've only seen construction storage at the NW corner of Spring and Jennings where Foghorn Leghorn has been hanged.

Hahaha

I grew up in Old Brooklyn. I need to swing by there again .. it's been years. I grew up in a house on Bader Avenue that was just a couple houses down from the house that exploded a few years back because of a gas leak. We moved before that happened, but it was definitely surreal seeing it on the news.

My uncle and his brother owned Dawning Pharmacy on the corner of Ruby and State.  Actually started out across the street on the corner of Dawning.

I worked there in high school in the late 60's.  Wonderful neighborhood at the time, started going downhill in the 70's.  The store had large glass windows which were broken on numerous occasions.  He finally had to replace them with Lexan, which would get scratched and cloudy.  There was a gang that hung out at the school across the street which was the cause of most of the problems.  Finally, wasn't worthwhile staying in business there and he retired.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Brooklyn News:

Real estate changes coming to

Brooklyn Centre and Old Brooklyn

by Lynette Filips

[email protected]

Change — and potential change — is underway at a number of sites in our neighborhood. Memphis School, of course, has been demolished (to the delight of some folks and the distress of others). But nothing definitive has yet been announced for that parcel of land.

After being closed for just over a year, early last month the Brooklyn YMCA building (on the northeast side of the Brooklyn-

Brighton Bridge), was sold to a non-profit group called the Pearl Community Investment Corp. Inc. They purchased it for $125,000. This will “bear watching”, because the YMCA is one of the largest child care providers in Northeast Ohio and the new owners are working with the Y to resume some of their programs by this fall/winter.

The last potential for major change involves the block of Broadview Rd. on the southeast corner of Searsdale Ave. Fifth Third Bank is  pursuing an option to purchase the property, and has until mid-October to decide what they will do. At this point in time, Fifth Third is midway in the due diligence phase of the process — investigating environmental concerns, obtaining approval from the City, getting regulatory approval, and dealing with all the other contingencies they’d have to satisfy before they could decide to close on the parcel and build a new branch.

No doubt future editions of the Old Brooklyn News will have more to say about all these topics.

Check the Old Brooklyn News...www.oldbrooklyn.com.  It's in the meetings section of the newsletter.

I don't think Ward 15 and 16 are going to merge.  Cleveland wards are based on population, and there's no way one ward would be so heavily populated relative to others in the city.  Plus, it's not politically feasible.  Would you vote yourself out of a job by eliminating the ward you serve? 

Lastly, OB is pretty politically active.  Would residents ever want to give up access to their elected official when the councilman would have to field concerns of double the number of constituents?  And what about loss of CDBG?

I'd say this is a rumor.  Though I know someone from the media that is adamant that a reduction in the number of wards in Cleveland will happen in the next 5 years.

I believe the CDBG (block grants) already are merged as Ward 15 and 16 share the same community development corp now.  I am a member of the OBCD, but I honestly don't think there are Ward meetings (at least to my knowledge).  In ward 15 - there are sporadic meetings at Estabrook every once and a while, but typically when the Police chief or Mayor are speaking.

On a side note, Brian Cummins (ward 15) is very responsive whenever I have had to talk to him -he truly gets concerned with the little things that are part of "quality of life" issues.  He showed valid sincerity to myself and neighbors when our finished basements got flooded out during one of those torrential rains we had.

• 3 weeks later...

West Side Sun:

New owner plans new life for YMCA

Thursday, September 13, 2007

By Ken Prendergast

West Side Sun News

Rehabilitation work is under way at the former Brooklyn YMCA at the north end of the Brooklyn-Brighton Bridge that will allow the building to remain a community center.

I've notice that the old Deconness (sp?) Hospital has torn all the shrubs up along the Pearl/State side of the building and there is some small construction equipment there.  Are they just improving the landscaping, or is this beginning of the senior housing conversion project I've read about?  I may have made the senior housing part up - but I recall reading in the OBN a while ago that they were converting part of the medical offices to senior housing.

A wide range of medical care for seniors will be provided, but I don't recall senior housing as part of the plan. Maybe some intensive assisted living facilities... I'd have go back and look at old articles I wrote.

I've notice that the old Deconness (sp?) Hospital has torn all the shrubs up along the Pearl/State side of the building and there is some small construction equipment there.  Are they just improving the landscaping, or is this beginning of the senior housing conversion project I've read about?  I may have made the senior housing part up - but I recall reading in the OBN a while ago that they were converting part of the medical offices to senior housing.

KJP has got it part right; from what I was told (I spent most of the summer of '05 working on the section of Deaconess that now houses Metro's back-office operations) the tower portion will be a senior-oriented health-care facility (just think of pretty much every medical specialty, but focused on seniors) that will also include some assisted-living space. All in all, a nice re-use of that space. I just wish my boss could've gotten the contract for the tower portion as well :-(  That was a nice easy drive from Lakewood.

Are you referring to the property east of the I-176 on the north side of Spring or that on the west side south of Spring?

On the former, I've seen people take ATVs and bikes down there.  I guess it's set up like a stunt track (or whatever the term is for it).  I've only seen construction storage at the NW corner of Spring and Jennings where Foghorn Leghorn has been hanged.

I am referring to the large grass field on the south side. The property where the dirt bikes ride, the north side,  is owned by Bradley Dump.

• 4 weeks later...

pd:

'National model' for senior care opens

Thursday, October 18, 2007

MetroHealth Medical Center opened the Senior Health and Wellness Center Wednesday afternoon, allowing hundreds of potential patients as well as local and national dignitaries to tour the grounds. The center, housed at the former Deaconess Hospital in the Old Brooklyn neighborhood of Cleveland, will provide a range of services, including cardiology and dentistry. A pharmacy and laboratory services will also be on site. Assistant Secretary for Aging at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Josefina Carbonell called the center a "national model" for senior care.

- Sarah Jane Tribble

The new landscaping in front of this building looks great!

FYI - The "Community Dialogues with Frank Jackson" will be in our neighborhood on November 13th at the Estabrook Rec Center on Fulton (north of Memphis) from 6-8pm.  I would guess that both Kelley and Cummins will be there as well.

The Old Brooklyn Annual Meeting (Wards 15/16) is also scheduled for 10/23 and both councilmen will be there.  It looks like we'll be voting on whether to change the CDC name from Old Brooklyn CDC to Brooklyn Brighton CDC.

I was at the opening of the Senior Wellness Center yesterday and took some pictures. They did a nice job on the facility rehab. The atrium is fantastic! I hope to have the time to post the pictures here in the next few days.

It's great to hear that there's been some major investments in Deaconess and the County building at Fulton Parkway and Memphis Avenue in recent years.  I just hope that those projects encourage greater investment in downtown OB. 

I'm kind of concerned, too, that there's not much said about planned new housing projects.  I'd hate for OB to stagnate like the city of Brooklyn, which has only seen the construction of about 20 homes in the last 20 years.  It's good for the neighborhood to offer the opportunity for move-up housing within OB as an alternative to suburbia.

The new landscaping in front of this building looks great!

FYI - The "Community Dialogues with Frank Jackson" will be in our neighborhood on November 13th at the Estabrook Rec Center on Fulton (north of Memphis) from 6-8pm.  I would guess that both Kelley and Cummins will be there as well.

The Old Brooklyn Annual Meeting (Wards 15/16) is also scheduled for 10/23 and both councilmen will be there.  It looks like we'll be voting on whether to change the CDC name from Old Brooklyn CDC to Brooklyn Brighton CDC.

Correction:  The Annual Meeting is 10/24 at Deaconess' Kraft Center at 6:30pm.  The complete agenda is http://www.oldbrooklyn.com/specialevents.htm

I was at the opening of the Senior Wellness Center yesterday and took some pictures. They did a nice job on the facility rehab. The atrium is fantastic! I hope to have the time to post the pictures here in the next few days.

Looking for a new apartment?  :wink:  Or are you helping Pope find new housing?  :evil:

I'm kind of concerned, too, that there's not much said about planned new housing projects.  I'd hate for OB to stagnate like the city of Brooklyn, which has only seen the construction of about 20 homes in the last 20 years.  It's good for the neighborhood to offer the opportunity for move-up housing within OB as an alternative to suburbia.

Where would you build housing in Brooklyn or Old Brooklyn? There's very little undeveloped land in either area. You'll probably see something announced soon for the Memphis School site, but that's about it. The other vacant pieces of land (such as the large, terrific site on Pearl across from the zoo entrance that has a great view of the valley). But the owner of that parcel isn't interested in selling, nor are others who are sitting on much smaller vacant parcels that could be returned to productive use.

And, for parcels that have abandoned buildings on them, developers will go to the suburban fringe first unless they really really want to build in the city. But they still have to jump through more hoops (time/cost of land assembly, cost of demolition, cost of remediation, time/cost of securing financing/tax credits, etc and so on). By the time a housing development in the city opens a model house, a subdivision on a huge, clean piece of ex-farmland at the suburban fringe can have dozens of homes built.

That's life in a state without managed growth.

Looking for a new apartment?  :wink:  Or are you helping Pope find new housing?  :evil:

I was working SMART ASS!  :whip:

I was working SMART ASS!  :whip:

Just checking.  :-D

KJP - i would agree with you. The majority of the housing stock in OB is pretty stable and properties values are still high relative to the rest of Cleveland. Unlike other neighborhoods where older housing could be bought for little, demolished, and rebuilt, the economics don't seem to work as well in the neighborhoods like OB or Westpark.

However, there are small infill projects throughout OB. On my side of the neighborhood ("Parkview") near the metropark, there are several infills on Park Dr., Brookside, and I know there is a whole new development that was built in the Southills area off of Spring.