Cincinnati Climate

Guest Cincy1

I worked with a guy who grew up in Montana, and he wants to return to Montana. He says that he's never felt as cold as he has in Cincinnati, and the reason is the humidity. That is, 35 degrees with high humidity feels less comfortable than 0 degrees and low humidity, according to him.

So again, the moral of the story is that there are a lot of factors.

I agree about Minneapolis - it is a great town, but I am probably living as far north as I am going.  Personally, my line is Cincinnati to DC in case we ever moved east.  The weather out West is different so the lines do not apply as much.  I have also been to Chicago in the winter, and the wind off the lake goes right through you - I guess you get used to it.

I am sure you could get a ton of details on the temperatures, snowfall etc., but I think the difference is the quantity of days that are colder.  For example Minneapolis averages 155 days per year with a low below freezing.  Cincinnati averages 106.  By contrast Birmingham, Alabama averages 57 days with a low below freezing.  Based on this example, the difference in the cold weather between Birmingham and Cincinnati is comparable to the difference between Cincinnati and Minneapolis.  This is oversimplified, but it gives you an idea.

As for me, my hearts set on Phoenix. This cold weather makes my body hurt and my energy bill go way up. I love the heat. Every year my vacations are in the gulf or southwestern states. I can't get enough of it. Going further north? Screw that! :-D

As for me, my hearts set on Phoenix. This cold weather makes my body hurt and my energy bill go way up. I love the heat. Every year my vacations are in the gulf or southwestern states. I can't get enough of it. Going further north? Screw that! :-D

The costs of air conditioning aren't all that cheap either in those "desirable" states.

Who says I would use AC, but seriously, when would you not us AC in Ohio during the summer? And then you HAVE to use heat in the winter. You can get away with very little heat in those states cutting down your yearly costs ;-)

^---Had to contact my parents on that one. I lived in Phoenix with my parents for a couple of years when I was a teenager. They did confirm that they pay more for heating and cooling here than they did in Phoenix overall for a house of similar size.

^---Had to contact my parents on that one. I lived in Phoenix with my parents for a couple of years when I was a teenager. They did confirm that they pay more for heating and cooling here than they did in Phoenix overall for a house of similar size.

Fine...the costs of cooling/watering the desert is a cost that is placed on the consumers across the nation then.

Huh? What does lower utility costs have to do with consumers across the country? Energy gluttons here in Ohio will water their freakin lawns when it rains 3 times per week. 55% of homeowners in Phoenix don't even have grass in their yards. they use decorative gravel. LOL. People here will even keep their AC on in 75 degree weather. Ohio is a KNOWN high energy consuming state. It is ranked 23rd per capita and Arizona is ranked 47th per capita. Here are the current rankings. Sorry if people think the desert causes high energy consumption, but that is false. heck, look at Alaska!

ENERGY CONSUMPTION PER CAPITA

State Million Btu Rank

United States 339 (X)

Alabama 447 8

Alaska 1,175 1

Arizona 246 47

Arkansas 416 11

California 229 48

Colorado 297 36

Connecticut 255 41

Delaware 383 18

District of Columbia 329 (X)

Florida 252 43

Georgia 343 25

Hawaii 248 45

Idaho 341 26

Illinois 310 34

Indiana 470 6

Iowa 400 15

Kansas 410 13

Kentucky 456 7

Louisiana 822 3

Maine 366 20

Maryland 281 40

Massachusetts 248 46

Michigan 313 33

Minnesota 355 21

Mississippi 411 12

Missouri 322 29

Montana 410 14

Nebraska 372 19

Nevada 292 39

New Hampshire 254 42

New Jersey 298 35

New Mexico 353 22

New York 220 49

North Carolina 314 32

North Dakota 624 4

Ohio 349 23

Oklahoma 425 10

Oregon 295 38

Pennsylvania 321 30

Rhode Island 212 50

South Carolina 389 16

South Dakota 345 24

Tennessee 388 17

Texas 560 5

Utah 296 37

Vermont 252 44

Virginia 329 28

Washington 316 31

West Virginia 433 9

Wisconsin 335 27

Wyoming 919 2

Symbol

X Not applicable.

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration,

"State Energy Consumption, Price, and Expenditure Estimates"

<http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/_seds.html>;

accessed 9 January 2007.

Guest jmecklenborg

Almost all of people's reaction to the weather is the product of the media and the luxurious character of modern life which allows people to have almost no direct exposure to it.  People complain about the heat, but they don't have to go out in it.  They can hire Mexicans to cut their grass.  People complain about the cold, but rarely have to spend more than 5 minutes out in it.  "Crews" clear the streets, a snowblower bought for less than a day's wage clears the driveway in five minutes.       

The stats about the number of days below freezing is irrelevant because 30F isn't cold.  It doesn't really start getting unpleasant until about 0, and still at that point it's mostly psychological.  Go up to Lake Champlain or Wisconsin and people are outside in the cold all the time.  But here since it's rare people whine. 

This week in Cincinnati the weathermen got to feel important telling us how "bitterly cold" the weekend was going to be, today I hiked over 10 miles in this so-called bitter cold, it was a beautiful day.  I get back in the car as the sun's going down to hear the people who have been inside all day complaining about the weather.  I was sweating.  Come back, there's my lazy roommate still watching movies on the couch complaining about the cold.   

Cold weather puts me in a bad mood. It's depressing; that's why it's more of a psychological thing. Exposure to sun puts people in a better mood. Go out in public on a day when it's suddenly very warm after being really cold and snowy, people behave differently.

^---Agreed. I honestly can't stand anything colder than about 45. Psychological or not, I just hate wearing multiple layers of clothes and coats or jackets. I'm a shorts and light shirt guy that likes to hit the pool or beach everyday. I like to feel the warmth and air on my body. On a side note, my sinuses react VERY badly with cold weather. I have had a consistent light nosebleed for 4 days straight now. Happens every year about this time which is in conjunction with year round allergies. It really sucks! lol

But I'm not trying to debate what is better or not. Some people like the cold and snow, some people do not. But I do think hot summer climate/cold winter climate states just use more energy simply because you need to pull double duty out of your central air units. That's all. It's not a big deal to me, because I'm outside most of the time anyway....even if I do despise the cold air.

I saw some guy trying to be Rocky Balboa doing crunches this morning in the stands of UCs football stadium. What the hell? We have a brand new workout facility. It's not healthy to breath in extremely cold air when you work out, either. Lungs don't function as well.

I saw some guy trying to be Rocky Balboa doing crunches this morning in the stands of UCs football stadium. What the hell? We have a brand new workout facility. It's not healthy to breath in extremely cold air when you work out, either. Lungs don't function as well.

That is great...I can vividly picture that.  It would make for a pretty cool movie scene though.

• 2 weeks later...

ENERGY CONSUMPTION PER CAPITA

State Million Btu Rank

New York 220 49

Rhode Island 212 50

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration,

"State Energy Consumption, Price, and Expenditure Estimates"

<http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/_seds.html>;

accessed 9 January 2007.

Urbanism will be the best environmentalism of the 21st century

• 3 weeks later...