zaceman

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

I really don’t think it’s that huge of an issue. Seattle’s rental facility is just as much of a hassle to get to via shuttle, and don’t even get me started on LAX and their scattered lots for individual companies instead of a centralized area. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Yea let me tell you I used to think the off site rental at CLE was awful but now that I travel regularly for work- its fine.  Some of the facilities feel like you are going to another state to get to... (DALLAS!)

^^I don't disagree with these examples in terms of onvenience, however they are top 20 airports in the USA and we are....Cleveland.   We are already starting from a negative position in terms of perception...why not make it a much better experience?      Similar sized markets like Indianapolis and Buffalo all placed their rental cars in transportation centers right out side the arrivals area. 

4 hours ago, plinth857 said:

I don't think that will happen; most mid-size and larger airports have gone the off-site route.  Any cost of bringing it back on property wouldn't generate enough return on investment to be worthwhile.  But I do agree that it's not the greatest first impression.

If only there was a light rail line that could lead to a parking and car-rental station.

Putting the rental cars where they are was part of building up the Contnental hub - move the cars to make room for Concourse D. The master plan being developed will no doubt reconsider where to put the rental cars. There probably is no alternative worth pursuing in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Foraker said:

If only there was a light rail line that could lead to a parking and car-rental station.

Ha!  That's too forward thinking.  But that would be incredible.

It was planned. In fact, the ridership was estimated to be higher than that of the Blue/Green lines. The scenario was to route the Red Line through the airport grounds on an elevated structure, with a station built as part of a multi-story retail/hotel complex built between the short-term parking garage and the main terminal. The current tunnel would be used for a shuttle train to the rental car lots, joining with the Red Line outside the current tunnel ramp and running combined to the north side of the Brookpark Station, then tracks spliting off and going over I-71 to an east-west right of way preserved for a rail line to North Olmsted, but turning south from this ROW into the car rental facility.

You can read more about it here:

http://freepdfhosting.com/6c439439e1.pdf

Hopkins rail to rentalcar.JPG

Edited by KJP

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

Just now, KJP said:

It was planned. In fact, the ridership was estimated to be higher than the Blue/Green lines. The scenario was to route the Red Line through the airport grounds on an elevated structure, with a station built as part of a multi-story retail/hotel complex built between the short-term parking garage and the main terminal. The current tunnel would be used for a shuttle train to the rental car lots, joining with the Red Line outside the current tunnel ramp and running combined to the north side of the Brookpark Station, then tracks spliting off and going over I-71 to an east-west right of way preserved for a rail line to North Olmsted, but turning south from this ROW into the car rental facility.

If you have a copy of those plans, it would be nice to see them.  (I love maps.)

I'm somewhat surprised that "security" wasn't used as an excuse to push all the car traffic away from the terminal.  (And although I think the security concerns are probably overblown, I'd like to see this happen!)

Wish granted. See my edited post above.

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

Icelandair purchases WOW.  I'm sure this deal played a role in the decisions both airlines made in their route reconfiguration for 2019. This sale might be good news for CLE maintaining this transatlantic option. 

Icelandair to buy budget rival WOW

BEN MUTZABAUGH  |  USA TODAY

Updated 2:40 p.m. EST Nov. 5, 2018

WOW Air, the Icelandic budget airline that shook up the U.S. market with Europe fares as low as $99 one way, will be acquired by rival Icelandair in a deal that could make the company a strong force in the trans-Atlantic market. 

The acquisition must still be approved by Icelandair shareholders and by regulators. 

Icelandair says the brands will continue to operate independently, but the tie-up could bring restraint to competition that has flooded the U.S. market with new capacity on the two Icelandic carriers. 

WOW Air has opened more than a dozen new routes to North America since 2015, with Icelandair often matching its rival’s plans. That’s led to a sudden surge in some markets where nonstop flights to Iceland proliferated practically overnight.

In Cleveland, for example, the midsized U.S. market went from having no nonstop flights to Europe to suddenly having two to the Icelandic capital of Reykjavik after WOW and Icelandair announced flights only about 24 hours apart. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/11/05/airline-deak-icelandair-buy-budget-rival-wow/1891622002/

^Based on the airport's numbers that Susan Glaser reported in

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/2018/10/cleveland-hopkins-icelandic-airline-experiment-hits-turbulence-as-wow-pulls-out-icelandair-cuts-back.html 

passengers departing Cleveland to Iceland were 200 per day in June, 185 in July, 170 in August, and 158 in September.  That is more than enough to make ONE airline happy (IcelandAir's plane holds 160; WOW's holds 200); not enough for two, which between them operated 9 flights a week this year.

The good news is IcelandAir, who say they will be back next May, should be very happy next summer.

United dropping Cleveland to Boston...slowly tip toeing away from everything.  This is fine.  Delta picking up the route and frankly, I go Jetblue any time i go to Boston.  I use to be pretttty dedicated to United, but I must say, ive almost completely phased them out at this point

In a statement, United said: “Boston and Cleveland continue to be important destinations in United’s route network. We continuously monitor business and leisure demand across the system and during the most recent review made the difficult decision to discontinue service on the Cleveland-Boston route effective March 7, 2019. Today’s announcement does not change United’s plans to expand Cleveland service to nine popular business and leisure destinations this winter.”

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/2018/12/united-airlines-to-drop-cleveland-to-boston-flights-delta-will-pick-them-up.html

Regarding CLE-BOS, Delta is a better product--better service and will utilize better, slightly larger aircraft and 3x dailv compared to UA's 2x.  This change is good for Cleveland (and Boston).

On 12/10/2018 at 12:21 PM, Clefan98 said:

In a statement, United said: “Boston and Cleveland continue to be important destinations in United’s route network. We continuously monitor business and leisure demand across the system and during the most recent review made the difficult decision to discontinue service on the Cleveland-Boston route effective March 7, 2019. Today’s announcement does not change United’s plans to expand Cleveland service to nine popular business and leisure destinations this winter.”

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/2018/12/united-airlines-to-drop-cleveland-to-boston-flights-delta-will-pick-them-up.html

Nice catch.  Interested to see what those 9 destinations are, and how many will be year-round vs. seasonal.  (You'd think winter seasonal would be launched by now?)

A lot of good info at the bottom of that article, including a note of how average airfare to Boston has dropped 40% since 2013 due to increased competition...another sign that the loss of the hub has helped many consumers in the long-run.  

In a petty sort of way, because of what they have done to Cleveland since the merger, but also being unsatisfied with the product, I deliberately boycott United. I fly Jetblue on the Boston route but Delta is a better product anyway for people wanting long haul.

It'll be the few remaining p2p routes that'll get culled next and all that will be left of United in Cleveland will be service to their hubs. 

Also I don't get why they'd cut Boston then re-introduce a bunch of others. Boston is a strong p2p, Delta have been expanding there and its also a gateway to Europe. Milkwaukee was cut as well. What would the growth be? Would it be new routes or just frequency increases as well? I don't see west coast stuff that can't maintain daily frequency. Other midwestern cities that are just as easy to drive to? I'd then say probably Vegas/Florida seasonal,  if you ask my apathetic self.

That said, Delta have done a u-turn of sorts with Cincinnati and restored some routes (also maintained TATL throughout the cuts), but we'll wait and see.

Edited by snakebite

Frontier adds CLE-RDU, 4x/weekly starting May 1, as part of a buildup at RDU. F9 also added RDU-BOS, -PHL, and TPA.  On the CLE front, F9 is expected to have a press conference this week--probably tomorrow (Tues) for some CLE adds.

Edited by Pugu
  • Like 2

Oh. Well, it's back this year! (so its still considered a "schedule add" in airlines parlance). regarding the other rumor of a press conference this week for more F9 adds, not sure now if that's happening, as I was expecting that for earlier today.

^ It's still a good addition - Delta flies 1x daily CLE-RDU but it's been a single class CRJ-200 in past years.  I see it's a CRJ-700 now which is slightly better. 

Looks like there was a Frontier announcement after all:

2x Weekly to Charleston--Thursday and Sunday--starting May 2
3x Weekly to San Francisco, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday--starting Apr 30
Year-Round Extension on Sarasota and Punta Cana
Termination of Portland
San Diego--was reloaded for the summer

Added frequency to Austin, Orlando, Phoenix, Raleigh and Tampa

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/01/frontier-airlines-adding-flights-from-cleveland-hopkins-to-charleston-sc-san-francisco-dropping-portland.html

Edited by Pugu
  • Like 2

And for today's announcement, MORE flights to Charleston.  Allegiant announced 2x weekly to Charleston beginning June 6 and 2x weekly to Norfolk, VA beginning June 7th.  Both cities are seasonal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2019/01/15/allegiant-air-16-new-routes-including-alaska-flights/2576112002/

• Like 1

Great to see improved service to the southeast...it looks like weekend getaways to Charleston are finally doable. This time last year it cost $450 RT minimum to visit, including a lengthy layover in either Charlotte or Atlanta.  I just hope Allegiant following Frontier into Charleston doesn't saturate the route so neither can survive.  

• Like 1

Cleveland Hopkins passenger traffic grows 5.5 percent to highest number in 10 years

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cleveland Hopkins International Airport welcomed 9.64 million passengers in 2018, a 5.5 percent increase over 2017 and the most since 2008, before the Great Recession hit.

And the airport is poised for more growth, according to Airport Director Robert Kennedy, who said predictions show the airport will exceed 10 million passengers in 2019.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/01/cleveland-hopkins-passenger-traffic-grows-55-percent-to-highest-number-in-10-years.html

Edited by ws966112

Crain's is finally on the story.....

• Haha 1

The Jackson administration should: 

A.  Play circus music during their press conferences

B.  Turn over operations of the airports to people who run airports for a living.  

City Hall reverses policy, will allow curbside drop-off, pickup at Cleveland Hopkins airport by commercial vehicles

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/02/city-hall-reverses-policy-will-allow-curbside-drop-off-pickup-at-cleveland-hopkins-airport-by-commercial-vehicles.html

• Like 3