zaceman

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

On 4/2/2020 at 4:49 PM, surfohio said:

Hmm, what are the chances I'm getting a refund? 

I got a full credit for my flight I had scheduled for mid-May.

Not that I was clamoring for it lol it was a whole $29.

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

I got a full credit for my flight I had scheduled for mid-May.

Not that I was clamoring for it lol it was a whole $29.

Nice. Did you have to call them?

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

Nice. Did you have to call them?

Nope, I was able to do it through their website - confirmation number and last name and login/cancel the flight, it was super easy surprisingly. 

They had my wrong email otherwise I assume I would've gotten an email about it sooner, I just saw the news and decided to check out the site. It took maybe 5 minutes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

Nope, I was able to do it through their website - confirmation number and last name and login/cancel the flight, it was super easy surprisingly. 

They had my wrong email otherwise I assume I would've gotten an email about it sooner, I just saw the news and decided to check out the site. It took maybe 5 minutes.

Good to hear, thanks again. Especially since their customer service via phone in the past has been...not good. FYI they have my correct address but haven't emailed me yet about their cancellations. Meanwhile I've got nothing currently booked on Frontier and they're emailing every day explaining their situation in detail. 

On 3/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Cleburger said:

Cabin air is recirculated in far greater frequency than most other gathering places. 

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/

I see absolutely no reference to that recirculated air being forced specifically through HEPA filters however.  I'd feel a little more comfortable knowing that the recirculated portion is HEPA filtered. Furthermore, no filtration system can protect passengers from an ill passenger in an adjacent seat.

You still have tremendous exposure to unsanitary surfaces and potentially un-HEPA filtered air on planes.

When I was younger, I would travel in suits and more formal attire; until I saw a sick passenger and a child ruin a seat cushion and armrest. They were cleaned and swapped out at the next stop. Today, I'm ultra casual on flights.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I see absolutely no reference to that recirculated air being forced specifically through HEPA filters however.  I'd feel a little more comfortable knowing that the recirculated portion is HEPA filtered. Furthermore, no filtration system can protect passengers from an ill passenger in an adjacent seat.

You still have tremendous exposure to unsanitary surfaces and potentially un-HEPA filtered air on planes.

When I was younger, I would travel in suits and more formal attire; until I saw a sick passenger and a child ruin a seat cushion and armrest. They were cleaned and swapped out at the next stop. Today, I'm ultra casual on flights.

"Bleed air", i.e. fresh from outside, is even better but using it degrades fuel efficiency so it doesn't happen often.

Only the young can dress ultra casual successfully.  If I do it, I get mistaken for one of the homeless and treated like one..

• Haha 1

It's nice to see all these jets at D concourse, even though they are just parked there temporarily.

20200419_150626.thumb.jpg.764ddacae1f4ee52017889f9718a0a6c.jpg

Edited by skiwest

Took a trip to the cell lot with my son to look at some Sad airplanes (see the engine coverings) what struck me is I hadn’t realized just how much room there is for mainline 737 and the like A320 style size jets on the backside of D concourse in the gate and taxiway, as I’d only ever seen it with regional jets. More than enough space in an airport revamp, for the ground floor walkout gates to be removed, and concourse level jetways installed, re do the taxiway and inside waiting areas and you’ve got a brand new 15-20 gate terminal. Room for up to 9/10  parked per side depending on how much space you could squeeze inside. This would be ideal, to move Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant To as a low cost terminal, or even half delta / southwest, as Concourse A and then Concourse B are rebuilt in phases. In the end this concourse could serve any of those long term.  

Of course you would have to let United out of their lease when ready to start...

F735203E-0CA3-4E98-B3EB-5AE5CC3A7A96.thumb.jpeg.aae34a55d1d78a69eb424bf4cb703070.jpeg79A0D538-25FE-448F-8FE2-5EA02FB5E029.thumb.jpeg.d0d46126fc0b3e5765b2939c719cf28a.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taller_is_better said:

Of course you would have to let United out of their lease when ready to start...

I wonder if a stronger Congressional rep could have held United to the fire on the lease in lieu of receiving bailout funds.    Of course it would also take strong city leadership to be ahead of that and offer United a deal to get out during this economic downturn.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cleburger said:

I wonder if a stronger Congressional rep could have held United to the fire on the lease in lieu of receiving bailout funds.    Of course it would also take strong city leadership to be ahead of that and offer United a deal to get out during this economic downturn. 

United would be happy to get out the lease. They pay over $1M per month. Its the city would be the loser here if that money stopped coming.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, Pugu said:

United would be happy to get out the lease. They pay over $1M per month. Its the city would be the loser here if that money stopped coming.

There in lies the problem.

As long as CLE is city owned and operated, it will never realize it's full potential of becoming a regional economic engine vs a short-term income stream. The city is too focused on short-term income versus long-term regional investment and development.

United is very vulnerable right now and I have little sympathy after being de-hubbed, not once, but twice by them.

It's a shame but CLE's value is being underappreciated similar to the way in which Westside Market has been squandered as an economic engine and community resource. You look at SEA and Pike Place Market and you can see what could have been and what could be.

A tale of two cities; one successful, one not so much!

Edited by Frmr CLEder
Terrible spell check.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Starting May 3rd Frontier will be expanding ops to four destinations: Denver, Ft. Myers, Tampa and Orlando. Currently they are just flying to Orlando 4 times a week.

Spirit will be back on May 5th with a flight to Orlando. For the first half of the month this flight will stop in Columbus to pick up more passengers on the outbound flight.

I used to fly Cleveland-Columbus on Dash 8s back in the 90s on Continental Express. It's been a while since the two cities were linked up with air service. maybe a decade or so.

Baby steps. Will see how all this works out.

Edited by AmrapinVA
  • Like 3

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Hopkins will DOUBLE the amount of service in June......from 20 daily flights to about 40.

"Next month, Hopkins airport will reinstate nonstop service to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Newark, Washington Reagan, Miami, St. Louis, Raleigh/Durham, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, SC, and Norfolk."

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/several-nonstop-flights-return-to-hopkins-airport-next-month/

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:45 AM, Frmr CLEder said:

The city is too focused on short-term income versus long-term regional investment and development.

In a slow but sure way, the city has managed to reduce the airport's debt by about $300 million over the past 6 years despite the  dehubbing. The virus disruption will probably cost them a year, but even so, by 2024 the debt should be down to about $300 million or less. If the city hadn't done this, they could not finance a major (perhaps total) rebuild of the terminal, which is being planned at present. 

They really have been doing lots financially behind the scenes - not to mention handling record 2019 O&D traffic, a reflection of the area's economic progress.  The payoff should become visible when the master plan rewrite is finished and they can commission the design of a splashy new terminal.

I'm not sure a regional management body could have done much more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dougal said:

In a slow but sure way, the city has managed to reduce the airport's debt by about $300 million over the past 6 years despite the  dehubbing. The virus disruption will probably cost them a year, but even so, by 2024 the debt should be down to about $300 million or less. If the city hadn't done this, they could not finance a major (perhaps total) rebuild of the terminal, which is being planned at present. 

They really have been doing lots financially behind the scenes - not to mention handling record 2019 O&D traffic, a reflection of the area's economic progress.  The payoff should become visible when the master plan rewrite is finished and they can commission the design of a splashy new terminal.

I'm not sure a regional management body could have done much more.

Thanks for putting this out there - maybe it'll teach people to do a minimal amount research before resorting to the old Cleveland loser mentality comments.

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

^ Its not about a "Cleveland loser mentality" it's about a dysfunctional airport management structure that's been consistently scandal prone.

That has been well documented.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Perhaps, but I'd take the city running the airport any day over the county, which has zero experience.  And about the county, there is Jimmy Dimora & friends....  That has been well documented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

^ Its not about a "Cleveland loser mentality" it's about a dysfunctional airport management structure that's been consistently scandal prone.

That has been well documented.

Reread what Dougal posted and think about your comment. It's a loser attitude that old timers can't seem to kick.

Local leaders in Cuyahoga, Summit, Geauga, Medina, and Lake counties should invest in seeing what a single, regional airport could do for the region. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clefan98 said:

Reread what Dougal posted and think about your comment. It's a loser attitude that old timers can't seem to kick.

I read what Dougal posted, hence my response.

Old timer or not, nothing has changed; that's the point. Debt reduction and increased O&D traffic does not an economic powerhouse make.

CLE has not, and continues to fail to live up to its potential as a driver of regional economic development.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

56 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I read what Dougal posted, hence my response.

Old timer or not, nothing has changed; that's the point. Debt reduction and increased O&D traffic does not an economic powerhouse make.

CLE has not, and continues to fail to live up to its potential as a driver of regional economic development.

That's your opinion based on the past, not present. 

4 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

That's your opinion based on the past, not present. 

We've had this conversation before.

Your intransigence, as mine has been discussed and noted. 

My opinion past and present has not changed.

2 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

My opinion past and present has not changed.

and that's the problem...

1 minute ago, Clefan98 said:

Purely looking at rankings is what amateurs and miserable boomers do. No thanks.

That's the expected response from one unable to face the truth and reality.

3 hours ago, Pugu said:

Perhaps, but I'd take the city running the airport any day over the county, which has zero experience.  And about the county, there is Jimmy Dimora & friends....  That has been well documented.

The Country has run CGF for decades.  It's a well-maintained reliever airport.  You'll also notice that it has more aviation-related businesses and offices surrounding the property than CLE and BKL combined, which IMO is a sad indicator of what it's like to have the City of Cleveland as a landlord.... 

• Like 1
  • Poison 1

8 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

The Country has run CGF for decades.  It's a well-maintained reliever airport.  You'll also notice that it has more aviation-related businesses and offices surrounding the property than CLE and BKL combined, which IMO is a sad indicator of what it's like to have the City of Cleveland as a landlord.... 

Wow, that's complete BS. I get that you never pass up a bad opportunity to bash the city, but come the **** on with that remark.

Ever hear of the NASA Glenn Research Center - is that not aviation related????

Edited by Clefan98

14 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

That's the expected response from one unable to face the truth and reality.

Look in the mirror buddy. As DOUGAL outlined intelligently, the city is currently doing a good job financially managing the airport.

Edited by Clefan98

NASA - Glenn has been there for 80 years. Yes, its expanded, but it's hardly an indicator of CLE's recent economic contribution to the NEO economy.

Instead of being defensive and reactive, be creative and think of ways in which CLE can actually be a driver of economic development.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution.

Again as expected, your vested interest is clouding your judgement.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Mods, you might want to lock this thread down now. I will not stop refuting unnecessary city bashing when it's not warranted or accurate.

10 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Wow, that's complete BS. I get that you never pass up a bad opportunity to bash the city, but come the **** on with that remark.

Ever hear of the NASA Glenn Research Center - is that not aviation related????

Yes, NASA is at CLE, a federal government tenant that's been there for decades.   There is only one FBO, one maintenance provider and the three small cargo operations.   This is small compared to a similar sized class B airport like CVG.   

Now compare CGF to BKL.   BKL should be lined with hangars and offices--but it's not. 

I believe this is the airport thread.

My current residence in Miami has nothing to do with the fact that CLE continues to fail to drive economic development when it could and should.

Get over it. It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

You do nothing but sit back and complain on the internet, you're a nobody. I am in the streets making Cleveland a better damn city every damn day.

Edited by Clefan98

Just now, Clefan98 said:

You do not but sit back and complain on the internet, you're a nobody. I am in the streets making Cleveland a better damn city every damn day.

Glad to hear that you are making the city a better place.

The airport needs your attention.