zaceman

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

On 4/2/2020 at 4:49 PM, surfohio said:

Hmm, what are the chances I'm getting a refund? 

I got a full credit for my flight I had scheduled for mid-May.

Not that I was clamoring for it lol it was a whole $29.

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

I got a full credit for my flight I had scheduled for mid-May.

Not that I was clamoring for it lol it was a whole $29.

Nice. Did you have to call them?

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

Nice. Did you have to call them?

Nope, I was able to do it through their website - confirmation number and last name and login/cancel the flight, it was super easy surprisingly. 

They had my wrong email otherwise I assume I would've gotten an email about it sooner, I just saw the news and decided to check out the site. It took maybe 5 minutes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

Nope, I was able to do it through their website - confirmation number and last name and login/cancel the flight, it was super easy surprisingly. 

They had my wrong email otherwise I assume I would've gotten an email about it sooner, I just saw the news and decided to check out the site. It took maybe 5 minutes.

Good to hear, thanks again. Especially since their customer service via phone in the past has been...not good. FYI they have my correct address but haven't emailed me yet about their cancellations. Meanwhile I've got nothing currently booked on Frontier and they're emailing every day explaining their situation in detail. 

On 3/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Cleburger said:

Cabin air is recirculated in far greater frequency than most other gathering places. 

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/

I see absolutely no reference to that recirculated air being forced specifically through HEPA filters however.  I'd feel a little more comfortable knowing that the recirculated portion is HEPA filtered. Furthermore, no filtration system can protect passengers from an ill passenger in an adjacent seat.

You still have tremendous exposure to unsanitary surfaces and potentially un-HEPA filtered air on planes.

When I was younger, I would travel in suits and more formal attire; until I saw a sick passenger and a child ruin a seat cushion and armrest. They were cleaned and swapped out at the next stop. Today, I'm ultra casual on flights.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I see absolutely no reference to that recirculated air being forced specifically through HEPA filters however.  I'd feel a little more comfortable knowing that the recirculated portion is HEPA filtered. Furthermore, no filtration system can protect passengers from an ill passenger in an adjacent seat.

You still have tremendous exposure to unsanitary surfaces and potentially un-HEPA filtered air on planes.

When I was younger, I would travel in suits and more formal attire; until I saw a sick passenger and a child ruin a seat cushion and armrest. They were cleaned and swapped out at the next stop. Today, I'm ultra casual on flights.

"Bleed air", i.e. fresh from outside, is even better but using it degrades fuel efficiency so it doesn't happen often.

Only the young can dress ultra casual successfully.  If I do it, I get mistaken for one of the homeless and treated like one..

• Haha 1

It's nice to see all these jets at D concourse, even though they are just parked there temporarily.

20200419_150626.thumb.jpg.764ddacae1f4ee52017889f9718a0a6c.jpg

Edited by skiwest

Took a trip to the cell lot with my son to look at some Sad airplanes (see the engine coverings) what struck me is I hadn’t realized just how much room there is for mainline 737 and the like A320 style size jets on the backside of D concourse in the gate and taxiway, as I’d only ever seen it with regional jets. More than enough space in an airport revamp, for the ground floor walkout gates to be removed, and concourse level jetways installed, re do the taxiway and inside waiting areas and you’ve got a brand new 15-20 gate terminal. Room for up to 9/10  parked per side depending on how much space you could squeeze inside. This would be ideal, to move Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant To as a low cost terminal, or even half delta / southwest, as Concourse A and then Concourse B are rebuilt in phases. In the end this concourse could serve any of those long term.  

Of course you would have to let United out of their lease when ready to start...

F735203E-0CA3-4E98-B3EB-5AE5CC3A7A96.thumb.jpeg.aae34a55d1d78a69eb424bf4cb703070.jpeg79A0D538-25FE-448F-8FE2-5EA02FB5E029.thumb.jpeg.d0d46126fc0b3e5765b2939c719cf28a.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taller_is_better said:

Of course you would have to let United out of their lease when ready to start...

I wonder if a stronger Congressional rep could have held United to the fire on the lease in lieu of receiving bailout funds.    Of course it would also take strong city leadership to be ahead of that and offer United a deal to get out during this economic downturn.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cleburger said:

I wonder if a stronger Congressional rep could have held United to the fire on the lease in lieu of receiving bailout funds.    Of course it would also take strong city leadership to be ahead of that and offer United a deal to get out during this economic downturn. 

United would be happy to get out the lease. They pay over $1M per month. Its the city would be the loser here if that money stopped coming.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, Pugu said:

United would be happy to get out the lease. They pay over $1M per month. Its the city would be the loser here if that money stopped coming.

There in lies the problem.

As long as CLE is city owned and operated, it will never realize it's full potential of becoming a regional economic engine vs a short-term income stream. The city is too focused on short-term income versus long-term regional investment and development.

United is very vulnerable right now and I have little sympathy after being de-hubbed, not once, but twice by them.

It's a shame but CLE's value is being underappreciated similar to the way in which Westside Market has been squandered as an economic engine and community resource. You look at SEA and Pike Place Market and you can see what could have been and what could be.

A tale of two cities; one successful, one not so much!

Edited by Frmr CLEder
Terrible spell check.
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Starting May 3rd Frontier will be expanding ops to four destinations: Denver, Ft. Myers, Tampa and Orlando. Currently they are just flying to Orlando 4 times a week.

Spirit will be back on May 5th with a flight to Orlando. For the first half of the month this flight will stop in Columbus to pick up more passengers on the outbound flight.

I used to fly Cleveland-Columbus on Dash 8s back in the 90s on Continental Express. It's been a while since the two cities were linked up with air service. maybe a decade or so.

Baby steps. Will see how all this works out.

Edited by AmrapinVA
  • Like 3

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Hopkins will DOUBLE the amount of service in June......from 20 daily flights to about 40.

"Next month, Hopkins airport will reinstate nonstop service to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Newark, Washington Reagan, Miami, St. Louis, Raleigh/Durham, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, SC, and Norfolk."

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/several-nonstop-flights-return-to-hopkins-airport-next-month/

• Like 1