Guest zaceman

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

A 757 can fly to China....as long as it stops in Anchorage. :)

Anyway, how do you lowball like that. It's not surprising they got 2 bids, I bet rumors got around about how cheap the city wanted to be on this project.  I would have rather have this project go over-budget, then not be started altogether. We need a county/regional entity to run Hopkins. BTW, if they aren't gonna spend the $54 million, might as well use whatever funds that tied specifically on the project on some concourse/customs improvements. Adding 500/1000 ft. isn't gonna improve performance enough to matter.

Does anyone in Cleveland gov't see what Columbus is planning on doing? Or what Akron/Canton is currently doing? Or the current lack of service at Hopkins? Embarassing.

Anyway, how do you lowball like that. It's not surprising they got 2 bids, I bet rumors got around about how cheap the city wanted to be on this project.  I would have rather have this project go over-budget, then not be started altogether. We need a county/regional entity to run Hopkins. BTW, if they aren't gonna spend the $54 million, might as well use whatever funds that tied specifically on the project on some concourse/customs improvements. Adding 500/1000 ft. isn't gonna improve performance enough to matter.

Does anyone in Cleveland gov't see what Columbus is planning on doing? Or what Akron/Canton is currently doing? Or the current lack of service at Hopkins? Embarassing.

Personally, I like the fact they are sticking to a budget, god knows, we don't want a contractor to install the wrong type or runway then have to rip it out, doubling the cost of the project!

I like the fact that cleveland (not the county or in conjunction with the county) runs the airport.  Why do we need another level of government??!!

1000 feet makes a bit of difference from a airline stand point as planes aren't idling or circling  BURNING fuel.

AmrapinVA , What exact are the airports you mentioned doing???  What do you expect ricky smith to do right away?? the man has been on the job approximately six weeks.  He can't change things overnight, or would you prefer him to make "knee jerk reactionary" changes or impliment changes/programs that benefit Cleveland, NE Ohio, Ohio and the Midwest?  What would YOU LIKE DONE?

The runway extension is needed so 747 and 757 jets that fly to international destinations, such as China, can land at Hopkins during certain weather conditions, Smith said.

This is a generalized sentence only to get a point across as to why the runway extension is being sought. It's not so much about specific aircraft or destinations. Reporters have to do this all the time in order to keep articles short.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Personally, I like the fact they are sticking to a budget, god knows, we don't want a contractor to install the wrong type or runway then have to rip it out, doubling the cost of the project!

I like the fact that cleveland (not the county or in conjunction with the county) runs the airport.  Why do we need another level of government??!!

1000 feet makes a bit of difference from a airline stand point as planes aren't idling or circling  BURNING fuel.

AmrapinVA , What exact are the airports you mentioned doing???  What do you expect ricky smith to do right away?? the man has been on the job approximately six weeks.  He can't change things overnight, or would you prefer him to make "knee jerk reactionary" changes or impliment changes/programs that benefit Cleveland, NE Ohio, Ohio and the Midwest?  What would YOU LIKE DONE?

I don't think I've been shy in what I'd like seen done with Hopkins...roll back a few pages on this thread and you'll see.

I like Mr. Smith....again I've said so in previous posts...and I don't blame this situation on him at all. This failure of getting a decent RFP had more to do with Campbell/Mok.

The runway length issue has nothing to with landings and holdings...the additional 6/24 runway built earlier this decade has actually solved this problem by allowing simultaneous ILS/VA approaches. CLE, through runway facility upgrades, is also now a CAT-III airport allowing planes to land with practically no visibility. All great things. But...

The runway extention has to do with takeoff performance...you need length in order to get fully-fueled larger aircraft off the ground. An extra 500 or 1000 feet will help...but not enough to convince CAL to bring wide-body aircraft to Cleveland. And without that...don't plan on additional service to Europe..or a serious expansion of the CLE hub. Which in turn will drive businesses away from the area. So the extra $24 million seems like a no-brainer. We want Cleveland to be a 'world-class' city, but having Europeans fly through Newark to get here sure seems more 'continental' to me. :)

(not sure if this is the best place to post this - feel free to move)

From Crains:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060913/FREE/60913006/1008/newsletter01

Airport improvements

By JAY MILLER

2:49 pm, September 13, 2006

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson today announced his plans for improving Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and evaluating the Burke Lakefront Airport property.

As Crain’s reported last week, the city plans to raise money by restructuring taxi service and reconfiguring employee parking to begin a freshening up of Cleveland Hopkins. Mayor Jackson said today that the city could generate $8 million a year from the two changes — money that would be used to make the airport more attractive to passengers and to market the airport to airlines that do not yet offer service from Cleveland.

The plan would add a 25-cent per trip surcharge to cab rides from the airport and would create at least 600 new, close-in passenger parking spaces by moving airport employees to more remote parking lots.

Ricky D. Smith Sr., the director of Port Control, said he also plans to solicit bids to bolster the food and other retail concessions at Cleveland Hopkins.

The mayor also said that the city would begin a master plan for the Burke property. While he has in the past said he would be willing to close the lakefront airport, he said the property’s future would depend on the recommendations that come out of a master planning process.

Hopkins eyes runway expansion

Accommodating nonstop flights to Far East a goal of adding 2,250 feet to 9,000-foot strip

By DAVID BENNETT

6:00 am, September 25, 2006

Now that Cleveland has Paris, can Singapore be far behind?

In the wake of Continental Airlines’ recent announcement that it’s adding a nonstop flight to Paris from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, officials at the airport are moving forward with a plan to extend one of Hopkins’ two main runways to accommodate more international flights.

Cleveland City Councilman Michael Dolan, who sits on council’s Aviation and Transportation Com-mittee, said last week the plan involves adding 2,250 feet to an existing 9,000-foot runway, known as 6R/24L. The extension is needed so the runway could handle the wide-body aircraft that would be needed for long-haul transoceanic flights beyond Europe, Mr. Dolan said.

Work on the $41 million project could begin early next year and conclude in 2008. Most of the money for the project would come from a bond measure passed in 2000, Mr. Dolan said.

The councilman said the runway extension at Hopkins is necessary if local business travelers hope to catch direct flights to other international locations, including Asia and the Pacific Rim.

Continental spokesman David Messing said Northeast Ohio companies would need to show a significant amount of interest before the airline could further expand its roster of international flights from Hopkins. He said even if runway 6R/24L is extended, current levels of demand in the Northeast Ohio market likely wouldn’t be enough for Continental to introduce at Hopkins wide-bodied aircraft such as a Boeing 767 or 777.

However, Ms. Messing said Continental has seen steady market growth at its Houston and Newark hub operations following the introduction of other international connections, and he’s confident Cleveland could follow that same pattern once the Paris route begins service in 2008.

WTF, there was an August article in another thread that said they weren't going forward with the runway expansion because the contractors had all overbid on the RFP and the city couldn't cover the costs. I believe the cheapest bid was somewhere around $68 million. Where did this $41 million figure pop-up. Great news, just weird they axed the plan last month and now it's back on track at less than that of the original cost.

Also, screw CAL and their statements about CLE not being able to handle more service. They wouldn't be starting the service to CDG if they didn't think they couldn't make money. I bet CAL will be crying foul if Cleveland brokers a deal with Lufthansa and they start bringing an A330 over the pond to serve Frankfurt when the runway gets extended, all because the boys in Houston are 'waiting for the Cleveland biz community to fly their 757 to Paris'.

I second ya' on the upgrading of facilites, I think that news might be just around the corner considering the events of the last few weeks.

WTF, there was an August article in another thread that said they weren't going forward with the runway expansion because the contractors had all overbid on the RFP and the city couldn't cover the costs. I believe the cheapest bid was somewhere around $68 million. Where did this $41 million figure pop-up. Great news, just weird they axed the plan last month and now it's back on track at less than that of the original cost.

Also, screw CAL and their statements about CLE not being able to handle more service. They wouldn't be starting the service to CDG if they didn't think they couldn't make money. I bet CAL will be crying foul if Cleveland brokers a deal with Lufthansa and they start bringing an A330 over the pond to serve Frankfurt when the runway gets extended, all because the boys in Houston are 'waiting for the Cleveland biz community to fly their 757 to Paris'.

I second ya' on the upgrading of facilites, I think that news might be just around the corner considering the events of the last few weeks.

I couldn't have said that better myself.  Airtraffic is up at Cleveland and when the employees say that planes are packed/traffic is up.  and corporate says another....something is wrong.  No matter what "conspiracy theory" you think of.  Even though the (continental) 767/757 have close to the same amount of seats its the level of service that improves.  The 757 BF experience isn't like the 767/777 BF experience.  Although on one hand I like having a smaller BF cabin.  More FAs for the smaller 7757 BF cabin.  Although coach on a 757 vs. a 767 can feel "tight".

Cleveland can't get more international service without upgrading the facility.  I still think they should move USAir over to the B concourse (with its partner united) and move NW to B along with Delta.  Then build the A concourse north this way it can handle larger aircraft.  I think there is only one gate that can handle a 747/777 but not a 767.  I can't remember.

Yeah, I

I couldn't have said that better myself.  Airtraffic is up at Cleveland and when the employees say that planes are packed/traffic is up.  and corporate says another....something is wrong.  No matter what "conspiracy theory" you think of.  Even though the (continental) 767/757 have close to the same amount of seats its the level of service that improves.  The 757 BF experience isn't like the 767/777 BF experience.  Although on one hand I like having a smaller BF cabin.  More FAs for the smaller 7757 BF cabin.  Although coach on a 757 vs. a 767 can feel "tight".

Cleveland can't get more international service without upgrading the facility.  I still think they should move USAir over to the B concourse (with its partner united) and move NW to B along with Delta.  Then build the A concourse north this way it can handle larger aircraft.  I think there is only one gate that can handle a 747/777 but not a 767.  I can't remember.

Yeah, if there is ever going to be a true 'international concourse', I'd agree and say A is the prime candidate. BWI literally built a small international concourse with about 10 gates or so designed for widebodies about 10 years ago. Even with the expansion...a fair amount of 757's and smaller aircraft fly out of there. No real point in that at this point for Hopkins. I'd say 6 gates capable of 767 service at the end of A...improvement/expansion of Customs facilities..and some sort of space for another airline (or God forbid CAL) to have a 'Presidents Club' type room. You wouldn't break the bank...and since CAL is moving at a glacial pace it would invite other European carriers to seriously think about starting a flight out of Hopkins when the runway expansion is completed. Like I said, with the current run of news, I'm guessing it won't be to long before we hear some type of plan. Hopefully before the end of the year.

Yeah, I

Yeah, if there is ever going to be a true 'international concourse', I'd agree and say A is the prime candidate. BWI literally built a small international concourse with about 10 gates or so designed for widebodies about 10 years ago. Even with the expansion...a fair amount of 757's and smaller aircraft fly out of there. No real point in that at this point for Hopkins. I'd say 6 gates capable of 767 service at the end of A...improvement/expansion of Customs facilities..and some sort of space for another airline (or God forbid CAL) to have a 'Presidents Club' type room. You wouldn't break the bank...and since CAL is moving at a glacial pace it would invite other European carriers to seriously think about starting a flight out of Hopkins when the runway expansion is completed. Like I said, with the current run of news, I'm guessing it won't be to long before we hear some type of plan. Hopefully before the end of the year.

When I flew from London, I recall there being a Vacant or not well used US Air Club (IIRC, US Air wanted to make club a hub at one point, then went to Pit when Continental & Southwest came in) and an American Airliines Club.

In regard to another carrier.  I wouldn't mind seeing JetBlue or Alaska enter the Cleveland market.  However, with Smith being cozy with Southwest, I speculate that they would be the first to expand.  I do remember hearing that they cannot expand in Cleveland becase of space constraints on B and that other airlines arent giving up gates although they don't have a hub in cleveland or are turning around aircraft fast.  Something to the effect that they "park" planes at gates to prevent a competitor from getting the space.  Although I think the multi gate thing has slowed this at Hopkins I don't think it prevented it.

A means of selling the new cleveland to the 11M+ people that pass through ever year and also providing a sustainable means of funding for the airport's future.  quite fascinating.  would be great if someone from UO  could get in on the ground floor of this idea.  meeting details follow.

promo video > http://www.iq-digital.com/airport/

website > http://digitalairport.pbwiki.com/

meeting > via I-Open

For 11.3+ million air-travelers passing through Hopkins annually and millions of residents who connect with them, the Cleveland Airport presents an opportunity to showcase cutting-edge technology and present the best of what is current in Northeast Ohio.

Join us next week to learn about The Digital Airport Initiative, a Public/Private collaboration working to transform the Cleveland Hopkins Airport into an ultra-high tech communication venue for everything Northeast Ohio. Check out the video here.

The Digital Airport Initiative demonstrates how regional economic development should now be done: through collaboration and "strategic doing": Set a clear vision with understandable metrics ("Where are we going?"), connect interests ("Who's on the bus?"), align resources ("Who can contribute what?"), focus on practical next steps ("What's next?").

Learn from this exciting model of "strategic doing" and strengthen your work!

Forum Leader: Barbara Siss Oney

Date: Tuesday, October 3

Time: 4:30 P.M. - 6:15 P.M.

Place: FUTURE: Center for Design and Technology Transfer @ The Cleveland Institute of Art

11610 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106

If I recall, OneCleveland is one of the partners in the initiative, but a number of big players are working on this.

It's too bad this isn't getting more attention; The Digital Airport Initiative is responding to an RFP for advertising throughout the airport. If they are successful, the content would promote the city of Cleveland in a whole new light. If they aren't successful, it's more likely that we'll see traditional advertising for national chains, etc. I think it's really going to come down to whether they can successfully make the case that their project will not only promote Cleveland in a new light but that it can raise similar revenue to traditional advertising contracts for the airport.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0610210179oct22,0,5589727.story?coll=chi-homepagetravel-hed

TRAVEL INSIDER

Continental a model for other airlines

By Jane Engle

Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times

Published October 22, 2006

----------

jane.engle@latimes.com

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

- Continental flies nearly everywhere: It's only the fourth largest U.S. airline, and its hubs, well east of the Rockies, aren't glamorous: Houston, Cleveland and Newark, N.J. (American and United each have hubs in Chicago.)

Glamorous? C'mon!

I grant you Chicago is a great city, but we're talking about airport hubs. Getting from one plane to the next and getting to your final destination. I've got a hunch this guy has only transferred through the hub cities and never really ventured into them at all, if they weren't glamorous enough like Chicago.

Next time, pick a better adjective and appreciate the variety of culture and personality in the country, dude. You might find appealing what was once beneath you.

- Continental flies nearly everywhere: It's only the fourth largest U.S. airline, and its hubs, well east of the Rockies, aren't glamorous: Houston, Cleveland and Newark, N.J. (American and United each have hubs in Chicago.)

Glamorous? C'mon!

I grant you Chicago is a great city, but we're talking about airport hubs. Getting from one plane to the next and getting to your final destination. I've got a hunch this guy has only transferred through the hub cities and never really ventured into them at all, if they weren't glamorous enough like Chicago.

Next time, pick a better adjective and appreciate the variety of culture and personality in the country, dude. You might find appealing what was once beneath you.

I suggest you write him.  and to me.  ORD is not glamourous its a big mess!  I hate flying into that place

Fitch Rates Cleveland, Ohio's 2006 A&B Airport System Revs 'A'; Outlook Stable

Tuesday October 24, 4:19 pm ET

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Fitch Ratings assigns an 'A' rating on the City of Cleveland, Ohio's airport system revenue bonds, series 2006, consisting of the following:

$66,755,000 series 2006A (Non-AMT);

$12,015,000 series 2006B (Taxable).

Both series of bonds are an advance refunding targeted to achieve net present value savings. The series 2006 bonds are expected to price on a negotiated basis led by UBS Investment Bank on Nov. 1.

Coinciding with this sale, $149 million of series 2000C variable-rate demand obligations will be converted to a fixed rate from a daily mode, thereby creating variable rate debt capacity. Fitch also assigns an 'A' rating to $947 million outstanding in parity revenue bonds. The Rating Outlook is Stable for all bonds.

The City of Cleveland, Ohio's Department of Port Control operates Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) and Burke Lakefront Airport. Bondholder security is provided by net airport system operating revenues.

Fitch's rating reflects the stable service area demographics of the Cleveland metropolitan statistical area (MSA), high origination and destination (O&D) passenger base (75% in FY2005), strong liquidity for an airport with a residual rate-making methodology, stable operating margin and proven ability to generate healthy non-airline revenue levels. Offsetting credit factors include CLE's high cost structure and lower than average utilization levels, market share dominance (61% in fiscal-year 2005) by Continental Airlines (IDR rated 'B-' with a Stable Outlook by Fitch) and connecting traffic levels.

The airport system serves Northeast Ohio and the Cleveland MSA with a 2004 population of 2.9 million. Furthermore, the MSA's wealth levels are 110% and 104% of the state and nation, respectively. A strong stable population base is important, as CLE is primarily an O&D airport facility.

While overall enplanement levels have stagnated since FY2001, the airport experienced a 17% increase in O&D passenger activity during this time period due to rising demand from the service area and the competitive response of airlines serving the airport to the introduction of low-cost air service at nearby Akron-Canton Regional Airport. However, connecting traffic declined by 37% during the period due to routing decisions made by Continental Airlines, which operates its smallest domestic connecting hub at CLE, following the downturn in passenger traffic in the aftermath of the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

**That last statement is rather interesting. Kinda in the "things that make you go 'hmmmm'" category. Anyone know what's going to happen next year to make Hopkins look so great to Fitch? Is this the same reason why old CAL has had a change of heart and is now going forward with international expansion?**

^^Let's give credit where credit is due, it has much more to do with Google than anything I searched.

BTW, O&D traffic is pax traffic originating from and and departing to Cleveland. When you have 75% percent O&D traffic (and a 17% increase since FY'01)...it shows the CLE airport market is healthy and that even when you look at pax decline at Hopkins between 2001 and 2004...it had much more to do with CAL reducing their connceting schedule vs. the market economics of Cleveland. Fitch's review is very positive. Again, I have no idea what's happening in January....but I gotta believe it's bigger than redoing cab service.

as a weekly user, I think Continental realizes that Newark is HELL!

And with a large O&D (75% is huge, I recall reading somewhere that ATL the worlds busiest airport has something like 45% O&D) traffic, they can utilize cleveland much better.  In addition, Continental's share of flyers is shrinking due to so many regional jets on routes that were once served by 737s and routes that have reduced frequencies.

I was in the airport this past weekend and there was a huge Continental contengency (it looked/sounded like a focus group) going on as they were evaluating the operations and what space they could use.  What I heard was talk about upgrading the International operations (maybe this is what the article was hinting at) and service to Amsterdam, Berlin and Honolulu and making London year-round as well as late night service out of and into the airport.  I know one guy was REALLY vocal and asked, why there was not even one non-stop flight to cities like Calgary, Seattle, Portland, St. Lake City, Omaha and some other place, I cant recall .  He was like this is Ohio's largest airport and I should be able to get on a plane and go anywhere domestically without having to connect.  He was pretty passionate.

^^Let's give credit where credit is due, it has much more to do with Google than anything I searched.

BTW, O&D traffic is pax traffic originating from and and departing to Cleveland. When you have 75% percent O&D traffic (and a 17% increase since FY'01)...it shows the CLE airport market is healthy and that even when you look at pax decline at Hopkins between 2001 and 2004...it had much more to do with CAL reducing their connceting schedule vs. the market economics of Cleveland. Fitch's review is very positive. Again, I have no idea what's happening in January....but I gotta believe it's bigger than redoing cab service.

Yep.  Continental basically said fuck cleveland so they could expand in newark.

Well that's what makes Fitch's statement so interesting. CLE will be OK even WITH another decline in connecting service. Makes me wonder if Mr. Smith is in open negotiations with carriers he had a relationship while being at BWI....i.e. British, Aer Lingus. And I still think Lufthansa would be a great fit with all us polocks in the Cleveland area. I wonder if Mr. Smith has woken up old CAL mgmt and that's why they're starting Paris. I bet there are some grand plans ahead for Hopkins. Mok who?

does this have anything to do with anything?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 9, 2006

SCHUMER, CLINTON ANNOUNCE $150,000 IN FEDERAL DOLLARS FOR CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY/ JAMESTOWN AIRPORT

Jamestown Airport Will Use The Money To Market Improved Air Service

Federal Funds Awarded as Part of the Small Community Air Service Development Program (SCASDP) Grants

U.S. Senators Charles E. Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton today announced that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has awarded $150,000 for the Chautauqua County/ Jamestown Airport under the Small Community Air Service Development Program (SCASDP). The federal dollars will be used to help market their improved air service in the region.

"This is great news for Jamestown, since its goal of this program is to improve air service and lower prices for residents in smaller communities," Senator Schumer said. "One of the first things businesses look at when they consider moving to a new location is whether there are good air service options in the area. I've been fighting tooth and nail to protect programs like this so help can keep flowing to New York. This will help the Jamestown airport as they market their service to Cleveland to the entire region." “This is great news for Jamestown, helping to connect the region with one of the biggest airline hubs in the country. It is important that we do everything we can to increase the number of flights and connections into Jamestown, because more flights mean more options for tourists and business travelers, which means more jobs and more opportunities for the city and the entire region," Senator Clinton said.

"During my conversations with local businesses it has been made clear that there is a significant demand for air traffic services into and out of the Chautauqua County Airport. Unfortunately many are not aware of the service that will be provided by our new carrier to Cleveland International Airport. I am thrilled that Senator Schumer and Clinton have secured additional funding for us to promote this new service to Cleveland to increase the number of passengers using the County Airport,” said Chautauqua County Executive Greg Edwards.

The federal funds will by the Jamestown Airport to market the community’s new Essential Air Service to Cleveland. Local sources will contribute an additional $25,000 to the effort. Jamestown is receiving one for 25 grants nationwide totaling just under $9.7 million to help smaller communities around the United States improve their air service.

The Small Community Air Service Development Program helps communities address the challenges of local air service, such as high fares and insufficient levels of service. The grants will be used by communities around the country for programs such as financial incentives to air carriers, studies to determine air service needs, and marketing programs that encourage communities to use commercial carriers offering local air service. Only those communities with insufficient air service or unreasonably high airfares are eligible to participate in the program. Schumer and Clinton have fought hard to fully fund program such as this and other federal programs that aid small rural airports in upstate New York like the Essential Air Service (EAS) and Airport Improvement Program (AIP).

###

Well that's what makes Fitch's statement so interesting. CLE will be OK even WITH another decline in connecting service. Makes me wonder if Mr. Smith is in open negotiations with carriers he had a relationship while being at BWI....i.e. British, Aer Lingus. And I still think Lufthansa would be a great fit with all us polocks in the Cleveland area. I wonder if Mr. Smith has woken up old CAL mgmt and that's why they're starting Paris. I bet there are some grand plans ahead for Hopkins. Mok who?

I still don't see BA coming here, since they are in an alliance with American.  Aer Lingus and Lufthansa, although in an alliance with United, are more realistic to me.  If I'm not mistaken LOT (although in an alliance with United), would be a nice choice and a Caribbean carrier. 

But none of these things are any good unless Cleveland establishes tourism offices in those locations, we are allowed to establish consulates of those countries here and establish a the city the services flies into as a "sister" city.

Chautauqua should burn in hell.

Hey, my family is from there! Jamestown was named after my great, great, great, great grandfather James Prendergast, son of William and Mehitabel Prendergast. Next time you're in Jamestown, check out the Prendergast Library, Prendergast Creek, Prendergast Cemetery and a few other things named Prendergast.

I love the Chautauqua region -- except for the damn highway they built across the middle of the lake! But will I fly there? Hell no. I would like to have one of the New York City - Buffalo Empire Corridor trains extended to Cleveland, though, with a station stop in Dunkirk or Westfield NY.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Not really part of the expansion, but hell it may be the most important upgrade Hopkins has seen in while:

Top gripe at Hopkins: Restrooms are the pits

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Susan Vinella

Plain Dealer Reporter

Cleveland is spending more than $2 million to flush away the top complaint of the 10.5 million people who pass through Cleveland Hopkins International Airport each year: the dingy, dirty restrooms.

That's good news for Barbara Radigan of Wickliffe, a member of The Plain Dealer's Reader Advisory Network.

"The restrooms are very depressing places," she said in an e-mail. "They are dingy, dirty and damp-smelling. There is no place in the stall to put your purse, bag or coat. The floors are not an option!"

Hopkins spokeswoman Pat Smith said the most common complaint from passengers is about the bathrooms. She said about 29,000 passengers a day pass through the airport, and she estimates 60 percent use the restrooms.

To reduce complaints, the airport has begun remodeling every bathroom except those in Concourse D, which opened eight years ago.

Airport engineer Mike Ebos, who oversees the renovations, said the restrooms have been redesigned for easier upkeep and convenience.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

svinella@plaind.com, 216-999-5010

Local business trips are often to Europe

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Susan Vinella

Plain Dealer Reporter

Northeast Ohio business travelers head to Europe more than anywhere else overseas.

The most popular cities: London, Paris and Frankfurt, according to a survey of international travel conducted by the Greater Cleveland Partnership this year.

Continental Airlines offers direct flights to London from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and announced in September that it plans to offer nonstop flights to Paris beginning in 2008.

The partnership asked 82 business executives in Cleveland and Akron where they traveled most and how often. Here are some of the results:

34 percent had been to London in 2005.

21 percent Paris.

18 percent Frankfurt.

13 percent Hong Kong.

10 percent Amsterdam.

15 percent Shanghai.

10 percent Tokyo.

More than half of those responding said they expected to increase their travel. Most of that increase would be to Europe and Asia.

>>I told ya, MyTwoSense, Frankfurt would be the best option after Paris. :)

>>I told ya, MyTwoSense, Frankfurt would be the best option after Paris. :)

Did we agree or did I sam AMS??  I knew Germany was a big draw or else Lufthansa wouldn't have been sniffing around.  I'm sure they will be back in some form.

I'm surprise Shanghai is more than Hong Kong.

I wonder what percentage of folks go to the Carribean/S. America from here?

With all the shit thats been happening at Newark over the last month (planes landing on taxiways, etc., major dealys) and the complaints continental has been getting about operations there, I sense that Cleveland will pick up flights/operations sooner rather than later from EWR. 

there was not a single tv on last night when i returned at 11pm.  the restaurants were closed.  all i wanted was to see what happened with election results.  hopkins (and continental specifically) need to get some plasmas up with a cnn feed. 

one other interesting observation: a punching bag on the counter of the continental service desk on C concourse.  quite amusing. 

^^ I think ya said AMS. It may be too soon to speak about it MyTwoSense, but I have feeling you are right about CAL expanding int'l ops outside of EWR and IAH. CLE-CDG will be the big test. It's awfully coincidental that there has been all this news about upgrading this and that at Hopkins over the past 6 months...and CAL's Paris announcement. Fitch's change of view about Hopkins also adds a little intrigue as to what Mr. Smith is doing behind the scenes. Mok who?

hopkins (and continental specifically) need to get some plasmas up with a cnn feed. 

The airport network is not cheap.  From what I understand, most airports install it when they do upgrades w/exception of Delta.  Turner/Delta have a special agreement.

^^ I think ya said AMS. It may be too soon to speak about it MyTwoSense, but I have feeling you are right about CAL expanding int'l ops outside of EWR and IAH. CLE-CDG will be the big test. It's awfully coincidental that there has been all this news about upgrading this and that at Hopkins over the past 6 months...and CAL's Paris announcement. Fitch's change of view about Hopkins also adds a little intrigue as to what Mr. Smith is doing behind the scenes. Mok who?

We'll one of my spies tells me that there be changes on the A concourse, but that's so obvious.  What's not obvious is what the changes will be.

I've even heard there would be a smaller building (6/8 gates) similar to Councourse D built next to or adjacent to Concourse A just for International operations.  This is "sort of interesting", I mean it could be done with Carribean flights going out in the morning and returning late in the evening same day and European flights going out Mid day/Early Evening.

hopkins (and continental specifically) need to get some plasmas up with a cnn feed. 

The airport network is not cheap.  From what I understand, most airports install it when they do upgrades w/exception of Delta.  Turner/Delta have a special agreement.

is that the only option though (i don't know)?  continental has a few small LCDs (way to small) at the service center with a weather channel feed and a weather channel feed on the new plasma based arrival/departure monitors. 

i agree that there is a cost, but i would find more value in having real time information available at the airport over spending 2 million for bathroom upgrades (absent complete new terminal construction).

i'm envisioning 10, 42" plasmas - 6 in the C concourse and 4 in the D concourse.  similar to the restauarants, it seems they (continental or hopkins) could either have a satellite dish or cable feed to each of these.  worse case scenario:

10 basic cable feeds (40/month) - $400/month

10, 42" plasmas (1500/each) - $15,000

20 speakers (2 per tv, in ceiling, 100/set) - $2000

misc construction costs

it seems this could be accomplished for 20 grand and a small monthly fee.

does SWA still have their tvs at the end of the B concourse?