zaceman

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

After 10 million passengers at CLE in 2019, the 2020 numbers are going to be much lower. Any guesses as to what the final numbers might be?

15 hours ago, skiwest said:

After 10 million passengers at CLE in 2019, the 2020 numbers are going to be much lower. Any guesses as to what the final numbers might be?

I personally cancelled 8 trips out of CLE in the next 4 weeks as we await to see when gatherings can happen again.   

5 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I flew back from Denver yesterday. Flight was only about 1/4 full.

Just curious, what percentage of passengers were wearing masks?

2 hours ago, skiwest said:

I only saw a couple passengers wearing masks.

I was on DEN-CLE flight on Friday--same thing only a handful of masks on flight and in airport. 

Looking for silver linings, (rather than opportunism)

I wonder if the economic packages the federal government is considering, especially for airlines, might include some money for airport construction projects, like Hopkins.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:37 AM, skiwest said:

On the CLE master plan website, I saw this: 

"CLE will be scheduling workshops in 2020 where the public will be encouraged to attend. These open format sessions will be an opportunity for gathering additional information and communicating information relative to the Master Plan Study."

Last week, I sent an email asking when the first workshop will be scheduled, but I have not yet received a response.  

On 3/9/2020 at 10:52 AM, Sapper Daddy said:

Can you please share if and when they reply?

Here is response:

Thanks for your message. At this moment we are on hold for any gatherings or pubic workshops. We are currently exploring options to host these in an online format. If we can, we would certainly prefer to hold these in a typical open-house format in the community. How things progress with COVID-19 will be a determining factor.

Please check out website periodically for updates. Feel free to send us an email if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/03/cleveland-hopkins-akron-canton-airports-report-dramatic-drop-off-in-traffic-passengers-take-precautions.html

"Cleveland Hopkins (CLE): 

At this time, for today [3/25]: there are 102 flight cancellations for Cleveland Hopkins: 52 flights to Cleveland and 50 Cleveland departures."

https://www.centerforcleveland.org/covid-19

Will certainly hurt CLE's upward trajectory of passengers, especially as the flights that are operating are mostly empty.

Edited by Pugu
  • Sad 1

I have a trip to CLE scheduled in four weeks. At this point I'll be kind of surprised if my flight isn't cancelled. Who knows what the situation will be like by then. 

3 hours ago, Pugu said:

At this time, for today [3/25]: there are 102 flight cancellations for Cleveland Hopkins: 52 flights to Cleveland and 50 Cleveland departures."

Will certainly hurt CLE's upward trajectory of passengers, especially as the flights that are operating are mostly empty.

It's gonna hurt every airport though.. hopefully will pick up where it left off before this started...

I just had a flight into detroit on 3-11 before sh*t fully hit the fan.. when I walked thru the terminal, it was a ghost town

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

I have a trip to CLE scheduled in four weeks. At this point I'll be kind of surprised if my flight isn't cancelled. Who knows what the situation will be like by then. 

I agree that it will likely be cancelled---at least I hope so. The whole country needs to shut down otherwise we'll never get ahead of this. All the states can order quarantines, but only the Federal government can stop the flights (unless the airlines themselves to it). In the BEST CASE SCENARIO, i've heard the peak will be the end of April/early May. But that's only if the country as a whole acts now, but Trump doesn't appear remotely capable.

• Cancellations today (3/26): there are 133 flight cancellations for Cleveland Hopkins: 72 flights to Cleveland and 61 Cleveland departures.
  • United Airlines is suspending LAX-CLE through the end of April. Currently still on the schedule at 2x daily in May."

^No. That means 72 flights from whereever that were destined for CLE today have been cancelled. ALSO, 61 scheduled departures were also cancelled.  yes, the difference between the two numbers is 11, but that doesn't mean anything about where aircraft are.  UA has been storing some planes in CLE--but they're not directly tied to these numbers. DL, AA, B6, WN, Frontier---everyone is cancelling flights all over the country.

Also posted in the Coronavirus thread.....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz