Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

zaceman

Guest skiwest

If CLE ever does get another international nonstop, which destination would be preferred - London, Paris, Frankfurt or another city?  

1 hour ago, cbussoccer said:

As others have mentioned, subsidies is really the only way CLE will get one of these flights and subsidies are the reason these other cities have them. 

Additionally, ridership numbers at CLE are not much different than CVG, PIT, IND, or even CMH. CLE and PIT seem to trade places every year in terms of who has higher passenger traffic. IND was only 200k behind CLE last year. Columbus (CMH+LCK) is only about 1M behind and gaining ground every year. CVG is also about 1M behind has increased quite a bit in recent years. All of the region's main airports are very similar in terms of passenger traffic. There's really not one that's head and shoulders above the others.

So, of the airports mentioned, CMH and CLE are the two without direct European flights.

IMO i think Cleveland has to completely ditch its allegiance to United and we could see a route.  I think most international travelers from CLE will use United through the east coast, so why would United change and offer a non stop TATL? Other airlines are probably viewing this and saying "why would we introduce a route on American or British if they are just going to keep flying United and get miles".  The demand is there, but the demand will probably favor united until Clevelanders ditch united and bulk up on american or delta.  Jetblue or Alaska are going to need additional hubs at some point, no?

• Like 1

Does it really matter? Flights to Canada (Toronto) and Mexico (Cancun) do not a true international airport make; while "technically" international, those are really intercontinental flights. One step in the right direction would be to fix C&I on A concourse.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

22 hours ago, BelievelandD1 said:

IMO i think Cleveland has to completely ditch its allegiance to United and we could see a route.  I think most international travelers from CLE will use United through the east coast, so why would United change and offer a non stop TATL? Other airlines are probably viewing this and saying "why would we introduce a route on American or British if they are just going to keep flying United and get miles".  The demand is there, but the demand will probably favor united until Clevelanders ditch united and bulk up on american or delta.  Jetblue or Alaska are going to need additional hubs at some point, no?

United has, and continues to screw CLE. First with their original de-hub. Concourse C, when built, was United and Northwest only.  Second with the de-hub post merger. Again, Concourse C and D were predominantly Continental (United). And continuing by tieing up most of those gates, forcing UAL loyalists (I can't understand why) to fly through ORD, EWR, IAD or IAH; the first two being the most delay-prone airports in the country. Its ridiculous!

Edited by Frmr CLEder

22 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

United has, and continues to screw CLE. First with their original de-hub. Second with the de-hub post merger. And continuing by tieing up numerous gates, forcing UAL loyalists (I can't understand why) to fly through ORD, EWR, IAD or IAH; the first two being the most delay-prone airports in the country. Its ridiculous!

I heard from someone that works at United that they are so stubborn about CLE because over 2% of all United rewards cards are within 2 hours of Cleveland. 

• Thanks 1

This may explain their stranglehold. ORD, EWR, IAD are all a 2 hour flight or less. This represents tens of millions.  I guess being the "best location..." has its downside. Until addressed by the city however, CLE will never be able to reach its full potential.

Edited by Frmr CLEder

43 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I heard from someone that works at United that they are so stubborn about CLE because over 2% of all United rewards cards are within 2 hours of Cleveland. 

When you say "rewards cards" are you referring to the Chase United Credit Card or just a United account?  I have a credit card, but now that im pretty much exclusively American, i got that card and im thinking of cancelling my United card.  I definitely will now if im in the 2%

55 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Two hour drive of Cleveland?  It can't be a two hour flight, since a two hour flight takes up about half the continental US.

39 minutes ago, bjk said:

Two hour drive of Cleveland?  It can't be a two hour flight, since a two hour flight takes up about half the continental US.

Correct... I was going to say "Cleveland Metro" or "Greater Cleveland" but I thought someone on here would jump down my throat for the use of that term lol. 

52 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

When you say "rewards cards" are you referring to the Chase United Credit Card or just a United account?  I have a credit card, but now that im pretty much exclusively American, i got that card and im thinking of cancelling my United card.  I definitely will now if im in the 2%

Yeah the United Rewards Card. 

That's a silly metric for UA to use, if true. many have the UA rewards card, myself included--a few of them--yet I never fly UA unless its the only choice for a non-stop (e.g., to Houston or Newark).  Many people in CLE have it cause they USED to fly UA a lot.  To me, its simply a credit card. If I'm gathering UA points--now I will have to check how many I have---I will transfer them to a hotel rewards program so I can use them.  If they treat their paying passengers so poorly, imagine how they must treat those on reward travel.  If they need to take someone's seat--like they did that Vietnamese doctor who was bloodied and dragged out of his seat, imagine if they need a seat and you didn't even pay for yours!

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

United has, and continues to screw CLE. First with their original de-hub. Concourse C, when built, was United and Northwest only.  Second with the de-hub post merger. Again, Concourse C and D were predominantly Continental (United). And continuing by tieing up most of those gates, forcing UAL loyalists (I can't understand why) to fly through ORD, EWR, IAD or IAH; the first two being the most delay-prone airports in the country. Its ridiculous!

I continue to remain loyal because: 

1.  I have over 700K lifetime flight miles headed for 1M

2.  Status upgrades, elite benefits etc 

3.  My wife and I just went roundtrip to Europe in business on miles.  

4.   If I switched to American I would have to make similar connections, all with an airline that is US Airways and no longer American (a.k.a. THE worst)

5.  I would move to Delta in a heartbeat if they actually moved into the market and started serving destinations other than Atlanta, Detroit, etc.   A direct CLE-LAX on Delta would give me serious pause.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, Pugu said:

The Airspace Lounge at Hopkins is closing as it seems the company is going out of business--only CLE and SAN left on their website (0http://www.airspacelounge.com/cle/http://www.airspacelounge.com/cle/).  Rumor is a Priority Pass lounge will take its place once the space is renovated and expanded---its a tiny space right now. 

Per this article, Friday will be the last day for the Airspace Lounge at Hopkins.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/01/airspace-lounge-at-cleveland-hopkins-airport-closing-this-week.html

35 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

4.   If I switched to American I would have to make similar connections, all with an airline that is US Airways and no longer American (a.k.a. THE worst)

5.  I would move to Delta in a heartbeat if they actually moved into the market and started serving destinations other than Atlanta, Detroit, etc.   A direct CLE-LAX on Delta would give me serious pause.  

That makes sense.  If i was that far into it, i would probably feel similar.  The one thing, i fly almost exclusively American now...i dont understand why its the worst.  I have had poor customer service in Miami before, but other than that, its been a real delight flying with them.  They upgrade to first class as part of their rewards program much more frequently that i did for United.  The miles are harder to use though

7 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

That makes sense.  If i was that far into it, i would probably feel similar.  The one thing, i fly almost exclusively American now...i dont understand why its the worst.  I have had poor customer service in Miami before, but other than that, its been a real delight flying with them.  They upgrade to first class as part of their rewards program much more frequently that i did for United.  The miles are harder to use though

I used to fly quite a bit of American...before the merger.   When US Airways took over their inept management was put in place, and AA has never been the same.   But alas, that's a topic for the Airline Industry forum. 

If they did expand in Cleveland, I would have to give serious thought to changing depending on their direct destinations.   At present, United still offers way more than any other airline out of CLE.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleburger said:

In nearly the same mile (600K+), Elite, free tix, etc... circumstance as you... Until miles used or status dropped I'm stuck 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

So, in other words, United has CLE by the b__ls!

Most of the miles were probably accrued from CO, not UA. So there you have it and that's why the service is what it is.

For me at least, no.   I'd say the last decade since the CO/UA merger I've flown more, and also booked more premium cabin seats than I did in my younger continental days.   Booking first or business, combined with status, leads to way more miles than the actual flight miles.  

You can build up elite status with DL or AA--and the minute you have the 25k or whatever you'll have that status. Have the guts to break the cycle. I had elite status with UA. But after I decided to stop giving them my money when i had a choice (I would still fly UA if it was the ONLY nonstop, e.g., to Houston), I gained status on DL, with no regrets. To me, the status on UA is useless.  

• Thanks 1

The thing that really stinks is that the lack of a major hub here also makes it much harder to get flight rewards. 

In the last 4 months I will have flown 8 times with the following airlines: AA, Delta, United, Southwest, Southwest, AA, United, Southwest

On 1/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, Frmr CLEder said:

I still find it unbelievable that the busiest airport in the region (CLE) doesn't have direct flights to Europe, when CVG, PIT and IND have direct flights to London and Paris. I think much of it is due to UAL's stranglehold on the city.

PIT and IND subsidized there European destinations. CVG delta 6x a week flight to CDG is not subsidized. In fact Delta still routes people to CVG and the cargo traffic alone on the flight makes it profitable for Delta to not need subsidies. If GE Aircraft engines, P&G were to leave our region it be a different story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My company's CEO and IT director live near Columbus but fly out of Cleveland weekly due to the better and cheaper flight options o the  nationwide  destinations we go to regularly. Unfortunately next week I am being asked to go to Columbus to fly nonstop to Seattle because of course Columbus has that and Cleveland doesn't. Not OK.

22 minutes ago, eyehrtfood said:

My company's CEO and IT director live near Columbus but fly out of Cleveland weekly due to the better and cheaper flight options o the  nationwide  destinations we go to regularly. Unfortunately next week I am being asked to go to Columbus to fly nonstop to Seattle because of course Columbus has that and Cleveland doesn't. Not OK.

I wonder why Alaska airlines hasn't started this route yet.  It certainly seems like there are enough passengers for a daily flight.  Does Frontier still do a seasonal to SEA?

On 1/29/2020 at 2:17 PM, Pugu said:

You can build up elite status with DL or AA--and the minute you have the 25k or whatever you'll have that status. Have the guts to break the cycle. I had elite status with UA. But after I decided to stop giving them my money when i had a choice (I would still fly UA if it was the ONLY nonstop, e.g., to Houston), I gained status on DL, with no regrets. To me, the status on UA is useless.  

I did the same. I lived on the westside of Manhattan and flew CO out of EWR; I even had a Chase OnePass credit card. Unlike you guys, when they pulled the plug on CLE for the 2nd time, I started flying DL or SW, temporarily sacrificed my Elite status, cancelled my Chase card, and haven't flown UA since. Being on a plane 3 or 4 times a month, it didn't take long to gain DL status. Yes, you take a brief hit on status, but switching to DL, provided me with more options via EWR, LGA or JFK. Today, I think DL is by far the best of the big three legacy carriers. I simply refuse to fly an airline that did what UAL did, not once, but twice to the same city.  Where's your civic pride?

Why would Clevelanders continue to support an airline that thinks so little of Cleveland and its travelers? 

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Guest skiwest
13 minutes ago, plinth857 said:

I wonder why Alaska airlines hasn't started this route yet.  It certainly seems like there are enough passengers for a daily flight.  Does Frontier still do a seasonal to SEA?

It looks like Frontier's seasonal nonstops to Seattle start on June 1st and appears to be M-W-F-S.   

42 minutes ago, eyehrtfood said:

Similar story (eg. CLE and flight prices)- I grew up in WNY and for my mom, and apparently other folks from my town, it's cheaper to drive to CLE (and park a car, etc.) and fly from here (2.5 hours), versus BUF (1.25 hr drive). It makes sense that Cbus would have that route, but still, I'd think CLE could make a Seattle route profitable relatively easily.

Edited by GISguy

6 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Sorry, could someone please explain this comment?  I am trying to understand the reason for the connection between the stubbornness and the 2% of rewards cards.   What would they expect the percentage to be?  Why is this an issue for United?

Edited by urb-a-saurus

I think it means that UAL continues to dangle CLE on a string, because they can and they are able to get away with it.  They don't fear losing business because everyone continues to fly them regardless of what they do, what they do not do, nor the service they do, nor do not provide.  

Is the city going to allow D Concourse to turn into a brownfield?

Edited by Frmr CLEder

2 hours ago, urb-a-saurus said:

Sorry, could someone please explain this comment?  I am trying to understand the reason for the connection between the stubbornness and the 2% of rewards cards.   What would they expect the percentage to be?  Why is this an issue for United?

Moreover, by inference, I think it means that a substantial portion of their loyalty rewards members remain in NEO and, therefore, allowing other airlines to chip away at the market might decrease that membership

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Moreover, by inference, I think it means that a substantial portion of their loyalty rewards members remain in NEO and, therefore, allowing other airlines to chip away at the market might decrease that membership

And I do believe the credit card affiliations drive even more profit than flight ticket sales.

5 hours ago, urb-a-saurus said:

My simple math says that about 2%-3% of the US population lives in areas within about 2  hours drive of CLE = 2% of United cards in that area would seem about right.

• Like 1

I flew on the Spirit nonstop from Boston to Cleveland.  One of the problems they have is delay/cancellation issues.  The morning flight was delayed due to an aircraft issue, and another aircraft was not supposed to be available for another 2 days!  Fortunately, they were able to get one late that evening, after an 11 hour delay.  Maintenance issues can and do happen on all carriers, but the other ones (especially in BOS) are better equipped to deal with them and get you home a little sooner.

In response to UA dropping CLE-LGA, AA has, at least for the summer, changed their equipment from 44-seat E-140's to the larger E-175s.  Will still be 4x daily, given that LGA is slot constrained, but the change of equipment means an increase to 304 daily seats from 176 on AA.  

• Like 2

Does anyone else have the same issue that I have, every single time, at the airport with the CLE ‘taxi starter’ (why is that even a thing BTW). They seem incapable of understanding the fact that people might want to get a cab to downtown after midnight because they, y’know, actually live there. 

Me: Gives my downtime address

Them:( After taking an age to type it in). What hotel is it?

Me: It’s not a hotel

Them: Oh. (Read address back). You sure you want to go there?

Me: Yes

Them: But it’s not a hotel?

Me: No. it’s my apartment building

Them: (Looks at you like your yanking their chain. Then gives you that pointless bit of paper)

Edited by roman totale XVII

My hovercraft is full of eels

6 hours ago, roman totale XVII said:

Does anyone else have the same issue that I have, every single time, at the airport with the CLE ‘taxi starter’ (why is that even a thing BTW). They seem incapable of understanding the fact that people might want to get a cab to downtown after midnight because they, y’know, actually live there. 

Me: Gives my downtime address

Them:( After taking an age to type it in). What hotel is it?

Me: It’s not a hotel

Them: Oh. (Read address back). You sure you want to go there?

Me: Yes

Them: But it’s not a hotel?

Me: No. it’s my apartment building

Them: (Looks at you like your yanking their chain. Then gives you that pointless bit of paper)

I live downtown as well and I’ve had almost the complete opposite experience. Yes, they do ask me what hotel every time. Once I give the guy at the window my address, everything is fine. I seem to get the same guy every time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roman totale XVII said:

Does anyone else have the same issue that I have, every single time, at the airport with the CLE ‘taxi starter’ (why is that even a thing BTW).

I actually appreciate this service as opposed to some cities where you hop in the taxi and the driver sizes you up for how much you're willing to get ripped off.  

As to their trouble with downtown residence, I imagine the qualifications to sit in that booth are not very extensive.  They are probably a Jackson administration's family member who were ill suited to the Chief Operating Officer role....

• Haha 2

American Airlines giveth what United hath taken away. Thanks American. P!ss off, United.

• Love 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock