CincyImages

Off Topic

Came across this roap map generating website today via Jalopnik.  Figured there would be some interest on this forum.

https://anvaka.github.io/city-roads

You can do more than just cities if your viewing device is powerful enough.  I've been able to do the whole state and several counties.  You can even download vector files of what you map.

2020_01_28T21_38_28_954Z.png

2020_01_28T21_38_49_707Z.png

2020_01_28T21_41_07_186Z.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:41 AM, ColDayMan said:

I think you mean young white people.  Young black folks have been saying that for a lot longer.

helluva lot longer.

GO L.L.

GO L.L.

and not to mention, the o.g. g.o.a.t., earl manigault.

I stumbled across the Rolling Stones' 2020 US tour details and there's something very strange about the list.  Here it is:

May 8: San Diego, SDCCU Stadium 

May 12: Vancouver, BC, BC Place

May 16: Minneapolis, U.S. Bank Stadium 

May 20: Nashville, Nissan Stadium 

May 24: Austin, Circuit of The Americas

May 29: Dallas, Cotton Bowl Stadium

June 6: Buffalo, New Era Field 

June 10: Detroit, Ford Field 

June 14: Louisville, Cardinal Stadium 

June 19: Cleveland, FirstEnergy Stadium 

June 23: Pittsburgh, Heinz Field

June 27: St. Louis, The Dome at America’s Center 

July 1: Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium 

July 5: Tampa, Raymond James Stadium 

July 9: Atlanta, Mercedes-Benz Stadium

(https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/02/06/rolling-stones-2020-no-filter-tour-dates/4676860002/)

Only two cities western cities San Diego and Vancouver (plus texas)---no LA, SF, Denver--and then no Toronto, NYC, Washington, Philly, Miami, Boston. Anyone know why this is?

^thanks.....so this is the 2nd tier cities tour, I see....CLE, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Atlanta.....   Looking at the 2019 lIst, https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rolling-stones-rescheduled-dates-no-filter-tour-836010/, two nights in Jersey, but no NYC. Is that typical of big rock bands to not play in New York? Die hard fans will of course travel, but many others wouldn't leave NY for NJ unless they really had to.

It's the opposite of the "Donut Tour". Donut Tours hit the coasts, maybe Chicago or Detroit, Toronto or Montreal and somewhere in Texas. They're popular with bands that want to play the U.S. but maximize their earnings potential by avoiding cities that may or may not draw a lot of fans. The Stones, on the other hand, don't have to worry about people not showing up.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:57 PM, Pugu said:

^thanks.....so this is the 2nd tier cities tour, I see....CLE, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Atlanta.....   Looking at the 2019 lIst, https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rolling-stones-rescheduled-dates-no-filter-tour-836010/, two nights in Jersey, but no NYC. Is that typical of big rock bands to not play in New York? Die hard fans will of course travel, but many others wouldn't leave NY for NJ unless they really had to.

There are no football stadiums in NY proper.   Also, this is sort of the second loop through the country on this tour, so I'm sure the promoter was directed to get the best deals possible in smaller markets and maximize their take.  

On 2/9/2020 at 6:59 PM, Cleburger said:

There are no football stadiums in NY proper. 

Right. If the teams that play at the stadium (Jets and Giants) can both claim NYC as their city, then I think it's safe to consider the concerts there the NYC shows on the tour.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:59 PM, Cleburger said:

There are no football stadiums in NY proper.   Also, this is sort of the second loop through the country on this tour, so I'm sure the promoter was directed to get the best deals possible in smaller markets and maximize their take.  

True, but Yankee Stadium holds 54,000

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

True, but Yankee Stadium holds 54,000

Not for a concert.   It is closer to 30,000 since you are eliminating all the outfield seating.    Football stadiums have greater capacity for concerts because the endzone is generally a shorter wall and there is no infield to worry about.  

On 2/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Cleburger said:

There are no football stadiums in NY proper.   

Edit for my original comment:  Buffalo Bills fans would ardently disagree with this, as THE ONLY NFL team that plays in New York.  😜

• Like 1

some german guy tried to name all fiddy states on the twitter to great interwebs hilarity. 

one state we all know pretty well really haunts him!

spacer.png

Edited by mrnyc
  • Haha 1

What's most funny to me is the states he did get right. It's like me not being able to find Berlin but nailing Baden-Wurttemburg and Thuringen.

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

On 1/6/2020 at 6:21 PM, GCrites80s said:

You watch, there will be so few people left with sales and people skills that the ones with with them will control nearly everything. 

We're already there.

^ no ... wat da ... ?

did they just put lorain and our precious waterfront in west by god d*^% virginia?!?!

that's not even a real virginia!

* sputtering * 

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:41 PM, GCrites80s said:

It's the opposite of the "Donut Tour". Donut Tours hit the coasts, maybe Chicago or Detroit, Toronto or Montreal and somewhere in Texas. They're popular with bands that want to play the U.S. but maximize their earnings potential by avoiding cities that may or may not draw a lot of fans. The Stones, on the other hand, don't have to worry about people not showing up.

It's hard to believe they are still touring and Keith Richards is still alive! They have to be in there 80's by now or close to it.

Remember what crowd control was like before tasers?  Wooden bullets?

Tonight's the night, Athens.  Don't do anything I wouldn't!

^Yeah, pretty weird.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the editors threw that in there since the package was so uproarious to begin with.  Kind of like the Easter Bunny cameo in the third minute. 

The footage of the battling between the police and students is amazingly dramatic.  I think it's a lot more than people would tolerate today.  The poor guy getting stepped on by the cop...in the midst of all of that wooden bullet crossfire.  I mean, this thing was wild

Then at the end they're talking about outfitting everyone with respirators next time so they can tear gas the students.  I mean, they're actually planning that!!!

On 3/8/2020 at 4:55 AM, jmecklenborg said:

^Yeah, pretty weird.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the editors threw that in there since the package was so uproarious to begin with.  Kind of like the Easter Bunny cameo in the third minute. 

The footage of the battling between the police and students is amazingly dramatic.  I think it's a lot more than people would tolerate today.  The poor guy getting stepped on by the cop...in the midst of all of that wooden bullet crossfire.  I mean, this thing was wild

Then at the end they're talking about outfitting everyone with respirators next time so they can tear gas the students.  I mean, they're actually planning that!!!

the video is funny to see, but really this has been going on at colleges everywhere off and on since at least the 1960s. they used to tear gas up high st at osu on the regular. police come in and crack a few heads at ghetto couch burning at ud, manville madness at bgsu, etc. not to mention much worse at kent state.

one of my off-campus housemates was in the guard and we would joke about it. he said if the guard was called he would be sure to look for us to aim at. i think he was only half joking lol. 

^For the record, I experienced tear gas at OSU, but I myself was not in the house that was tear gassed.  I was about 5 houses away but had my breathing seize up nevertheless, unless that's pepper spray.  Whatever it was, it was surprisingly severe as someone who wasn't even the target.  

YIKES!

the cryptids haunting southern ohio.

Meet the Cryptids Haunting Ohio’s Imagination

A new exhibition pays homage to some of the Buckeye State’s beloved—and infamous—legends.

BY JESSICA LEIGH HESTER

MARCH 11, 2020

ONE EVENING IN AUGUST 2016, Sam Jacobs and his girlfriend were playing Pokemon Go near the inky shore of Lake Isabella, in Loveland, Ohio. The lake is regularly stocked with catfish, bluegill, trout, and perch (to the delight of local fishers). But the couple saw something that struck them as more than a little odd—and it wasn’t a creature roaming their phone screens.

“We saw a huge frog near the water,” Jacobs told Cincinnati’s WCPO television station. “Not in the game,” he added. “This was an actual giant frog.”

Jacobs paused his play and snapped some grainy photos. They’re tricky to decipher, but appear to show a dark figure standing in the gently rippling water, light bouncing off its enormous, saucer-shaped eyes. Jacobs was convinced he was seeing a frog rearing up on its hind legs.

“I realize this sounds crazy,” he told WCPO. “But I swear on my grandmother’s grave this is the truth: The frog stood about four feet tall.”

more:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ohio-cryptids

spacer.png

On 3/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, jmecklenborg said:

^For the record, I experienced tear gas at OSU, but I myself was not in the house that was tear gassed.  I was about 5 houses away but had my breathing seize up nevertheless, unless that's pepper spray.  Whatever it was, it was surprisingly severe as someone who wasn't even the target.  

Ohio college students riot after classes, housing closed over coronavirus

By Yaron Steinbuch

March 11, 2020 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/ohio-college-students-riot-after-classes-housing-closed-over-coronavirus/

a few space trivia factoids i learned on reddit:

-- nov. 2, 2000 was the last day every human being was on earth together. since then someone has been up on the iss.

-- the force of gravity at the ISS is actually 90% that of earth. they are in free-fall, nearly identical to what you experience on NASA's "vomit-comit" jet or a roller coaster.

-- pluto hasn't even made half an orbit around the sun since it was discovered in 1930.

-- it's very likely that the first deep space manned mission would be beaten to their destination by later, more advanced and faster missions.

• Like 1

The last one just blew my mind. I never thought about that. Poor guys/gals on primary mission. Though I would assume their initial findings would help the advancement of the following missions thus making that very scenario possible. 

On Google Maps I just happened to notice these two Kroger stores a 1 mile drive from each other in Columbus and North Arlington. Why would Kroger continue to operate both stores? Does anyone know of any other Kroger stores closer together than this?

2Kroger.jpg

It's not that dissimilar with the Hyde Park Kroger and the one in Oakley Station.  Kroger on the right (though technically south since map is weirdly flipped) is for upper-class UA folks, like Hyde Park; the one on the left (or north) is for the typical 20-somethings living off Bethel Road, much like Oakley. 

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

i had the infamous class clown record as a kid, by far his biggest seller, but i had no idea the great comedian george carlin had a toledo referenced album in the 1970s.

via wiki -- there seems to be two funny and very 1970s type inspirations for the title:

Toledo Window Box is a type of marijuana that Carlin said that a man once offered him - an antithesis to pot names like "Acapulco Gold" and "Colombian Red". This was Carlin's fourth and final gold album.

The name Toledo Window Box refers to a report Carlin read stating that the chief of police of Toledo, Ohio had gone to see a viewing of Reefer Madness and a training session by the FBI. Afterwards he made the statement that "You can grow enough marijuana in an average window box to drive the entire population of Toledo stark, raving mad". Carlin then stated that he wanted one of those Toledo Window Boxes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Damn I need a haircut and I am really tempted to just take my beard/goatee trimmer and just run it all over my head-so what if it looks like hell..these are extraordinary times and I am sheltering in place anyway. Plus it will grow back out and when I do have to go out maybe it will give some people a laugh, right?

Once again, COBOL programmers are in demand!

Like it or not, COBOL keeps on running

My mother-in-law was a COBOL programmer. Twice. She took it up in the 1970s, one of many women who were looking for a career opportunity and went to technical school in order to become a computer professional. (I can’t tell you how many people I’ve run into who had a mother, mother-in-law, or grandmother who was a COBOL programmer.) Then my mother-in-law came back to it in the late ’90s when there was a desperate search for people capable of reprogramming systems to avoid the Y2K bug. [...]

Yes, I know it’s horrifying to think that important parts of our economy might be held together with programs that were written 50 or 60 years ago. But at the same time, they still run! Rewriting programs costs money, a lot of it. Many organizations looked at their mainframes and simply never saw the reason to spend a lot of money to replace what works. Decades passed. And here we are.

Any way to quickly get rid of cloudy vision in one eye? I woke up this am with cloudy blurry vision in my left eye and I need to get out later this am

Anybody have any ideas?

*nevermind. My eyes and sinuses are completely messed up now. smh.

Edited by Toddguy

So a lot of area districts had an event where the HS seniors paraded around, not leaving their cars.  They lit up their stadiums and encouraged residents to light up their houses and porches.   It was typically called "Light Up <townname>.   In one of my Maple Heights groups, a school board member said the idea came from the Ohio school boards association.

Me being me, I decided that doing this on "4/20" could not possibly be a coincidence.

I think we have just seen the greatest "senior prank" in history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, taestell said:

Once again, COBOL programmers are in demand!

Twenty-five years ago, I was sent across the country to a job where my only task was to "get rid of that @#$% COBOL system." I can't believe it's still around. The entire new system cost less than the annual maintenance on the previous mainframe. 

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

From what I have read, many of these COBOL unemployment systems have been very stable and require little maintenance. They only break down when there's a crazy event like the current situation where 1000x as many people as usual are applying for unemployment at once. So governors and legislatures have never really had the incentive to spend millions of dollars to rebuild the software just to deal with a once-in-a-generation hypothetical situation.

I was a COBOL programmer many years ago.  I must say the COBOL programs were much easier to code and debug than the spaghetti code that is being used with today's web based applications.  And you never had to worry about malware on a mainframe.

Edited by skiwest

26 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I was a COBOL programmer many years ago.  I must say the COBOL programs were much easier to code and debug than the spaghetti code that is being used with today's web based applications.  And you never had to worry about malware on a mainframe.

I can see where you're coming from but web based/api structures are easy to scale up quickly. This whole debacle could have been avoided (or at least remedied quickly). I suspect most the mainframes will be retired for more current db solutions. It's way easier to spin up new server nodes and replicated databases to handle increased web/api traffic. Probably going to be quite lucrative to work in the IT government contract world after all this

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz