CincyImages

Off Topic

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, jmecklenborg said:

I am requesting tom TV-buying advice.  I made the mistake of visiting Best Buy tonight and seeing how much better the Sony OLED TV's are as compared to everything else.  They're also really expensive.  The 65" is currently priced at $1,999...for those of you who have paid attention to electronics pricing over the years, will there be a price drop immediately after Christmas?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-oled-a8g-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331595.p?skuId=6331595

Like, say I'm throwing a New Year's Eve party.  Is it worth waiting until Dec 26 to save $200-300 or will the price likely remain $1,999 through January and February? 

Well the Black Friday special is over.  They jacked the price of the 55" from $999 to $1,499 and the 65" from $1,999 up to $2,499.

It'll be interesting to see if they drop the prices the week before Christmas or wait until after, and to see how steep that cut is.  Right now they're stacking the bills!      

I always check The Wirecutter before making big household purchases, and the OLED TV they're currently recommending is the LG C9 ($2200 for a 65" or $1500 for a 55", and currently includes a free year of Disney+ with purchase). The C9 apparently has the exact same picture quality as LG's more expensive E9 series, just in a slightly less stylish box. From what I understand, OLED is likely to be the "current" TV technology for the foreseeable future -- we are at least a few years away from another technology proving itself to be superior to OLED at a similar or lower cost. So I wouldn't expect the cost of OLEDs to dramatically drop any time soon.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

I always check The Wirecutter before making big household purchases, and the OLED TV they're currently recommending is the LG C9 ($2200 for a 65" or $1500 for a 55", and currently includes a free year of Disney+ with purchase). The C9 apparently has the exact same picture quality as LG's more expensive E9 series, just in a slightly less stylish box. From what I understand, OLED is likely to be the "current" TV technology for the foreseeable future -- we are at least a few years away from another technology proving itself to be superior to OLED at a similar or lower cost. So I wouldn't expect the cost of OLEDs to dramatically drop any time soon.

My brother edits cable TV shows for a living and said the big change is in the color space new shows are being produced in, not HD, 4K, 5K, etc.  None of that is going to matter in 5 years when "old" TV's can't correctly read the new color space.  It's going to make all new TV's automatically look better.  

8 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Is this like a free Consumer Reports type of site?

Yes, except that instead of having a complex rating system like Consumer Reports, The Wirecutter simply tells you the "best" thing to buy in a particular category and explains their reasoning for making that choice. Sometimes they will suggest a few alternate products (like a "value" pick or a "high end" pick) but always explain the trade-offs.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Well the Black Friday special is over.  They jacked the price of the 55" from $999 to $1,499 and the 65" from $1,999 up to $2,499.

It'll be interesting to see if they drop the prices the week before Christmas or wait until after, and to see how steep that cut is.  Right now they're stacking the bills!      

Update: the 55" is up to $1,799 - so $800 more than just 7 days ago! 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-oled-a8g-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331587.p?skuId=6331587

WTF!

Male birth control testing stopped after men’s testicles start exploding in India

http://news-af.op-mobile.opera.com/news/detail/2bd7fc92a200e1a1a7c3a410d6decdc3?from=share&pct=15.33&client=news

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

On 2/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

Amazon falls out of NYC deal. Any chance either of the 3 C's can still land them? Give them the moon, would be great for Cleveland.

Looks like they picked NYC anyway.

Very Stable Genius

As long as we let Amazon and other techs lose all the money they want while demanding B&Ms turn a profit there are going to be problems in retail that people are going to try to fix with other means.

6 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

it's official: the white cat meme has jumped the shark😂

Better meme if it says Strongsville or Bay Village.  🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

or Maple Heights? 😉

Thirty years ago Maypo people were quick to correct, we were from "near" Cleveland.  🙂

The Best Optical Illusion of the Year Will Mess With Your Head

How a game developer used his love of programming to create the trippiest illusion of 2019.

Everyone likes a good optical illusion. The right kind of trick can instill a sense of wonder in even the most jaded viewer.

Every year, the Neural Correlate Society, a nonprofit that promotes scientific research into perception and cognition, runs a contest to find the world’s best illusion. This year’s winner is a Dual Axis, a series of twisting rings that appear to move clockwise, counterclockwise, and up or down, depending on how you’re looking at it.

MORE:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dmzgd/the-best-optical-illusion-of-the-year-will-mess-with-your-head

• Like 1

My cousin's daughter is "selling" girl scout cookies.  The process is completely online now.  Like, my 30+ year-old cousin emailed us with a link to the girl scout website.  Then you enter your address and credit card info.  There is no personal interaction whatsoever with the girl scout or physical cash.  

I recall the good 'ol days when the girl scouts showed up at your door with the forms.  You placed your order and might have even paid up front.  They showed back up in a few weeks.  Life was as it should be.  

It's wrong to blow off what went on with those sales, or in my case, candy bar sales.  It's usually your first experience going door-to-door.  I expanded my scope around age 10 by hanging out at gas stations trying to sell candy bars.  I remember getting a few flippant remarks from people.  I remember one lady saying my school "had money" and so didn't buy a candy bar.  

You watch, there will be so few people left with sales and people skills that the ones with with them will control nearly everything. 

Area code 937 is running out of phone numbers, so the new area code 326 will be introduced later this year. Unlike the 513/937 split that occurred in 1996, this new area code will overlay the existing 937 territory.

Area code 513 is not expected to run out of numbers until about 2024, at which time it will be overlaid by the new area code 283.

937-326-area-code-overlay.png

11 hours ago, taestell said:

Area code 937 is running out of phone numbers, so the new area code 326 will be introduced later this year. Unlike the 513/937 split that occurred in 1996, this new area code will overlay the existing 937 territory.

Area code 513 is not expected to run out of numbers until about 2024, at which time it will be overlaid by the new area code 283.

It seems like they could just make the 326 area code cover both 937 and 513 regions and just start using it in the 513 area once it runs out of numbers in 2024. That way you don't have four area codes in the area, only 3.

12 hours ago, taestell said:

Isn't there a new area code within/near 614?  380?

Very Stable Genius

Yeah, the map that Verizon included with this announcement is outdated, as 614 has been overlaid with 380 since 2016.

I remember once wondering why in an interview he had the Cleveland skyline in the background then heard him saying Ohio being his adopted home state a few days ago talking about a Trump rally in Toledo.  

I found Erica Michelle Levy is his wife From Shaker Heights. Don't know anything about her but that she is much younger than him.

Edited by Mildtraumatic

I've run into him multiple times in that little Starbucks in the plaza at Rockside Rd/Brecksville Rd.    Not sure what he does down that way.   Have never talked to him, other than a friendly "hello".  

On 1/11/2020 at 5:39 PM, Cleburger said:

I've run into him multiple times in that little Starbucks in the plaza at Rockside Rd/Brecksville Rd.    Not sure what he does down that way.   Have never talked to him, other than a friendly "hello".  

WTAM 1100 is on Rockside. His radio show is there.

• Like 1

If you have a few minutes to kill, this is interesting.   While I find it amazing that creatures can live thousands of meters under the ocean surface, I find it even more interesting the ones that are at the surface and choose to dive to those depths! 

The Deep Sea

Made with by Neal Agarwal

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR33YnSDDWlTSXxzse8MpyQcMs5PKLfvpj-7bMk9zYiM_YsuMyOVhnMsLHU

• Love 1

Do any zoning people out there know anything about the legality of renting out basement spaces for commercial purposes?  Does it require two points of egress if it's a straight-ahead walkout?  Specifically, I am interested in carving up the basement of this place into band rehearsal spaces. 

basement.jpg

The building code requires a second exit when either the occupant load is over 49 people or the travel distance to get out exceeds 75'.  the occupant load is approximately figured at one person per 100 SF.   Changing the use of the space or adding partitions would require a permit and a drawing by an architect/engineer.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Skinner said:

The building code requires a second exit when either the occupant load is over 49 people or the travel distance to get out exceeds 75'.  the occupant load is approximately figured at one person per 100 SF.   Changing the use of the space or adding partitions would require a permit and a drawing by an architect/engineer.

Thanks.  The basement is approx 80 feet from the sidewalk back to the door.  So maybe the front 10~ feet would have to be blocked off, especially if they put the compass needle right on the door itself, which I assume that they do. 

Why are young people suddenly calling everything they like "the GOAT"? The term has been on Urban Dictionary for nearly 20 years but in the past few months I have heard/seen people using it constantly.

^Cause NOW the term is REALLY GOAT!   😆

[I don't know--happy to say, I haven't heard it!]

2 hours ago, taestell said:

Why are young people suddenly calling everything they like "the GOAT"? The term has been on Urban Dictionary for nearly 20 years but in the past few months I have heard/seen people using it constantly.

I think you mean young white people.  Young black folks have been saying that for a lot longer.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

5 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

I think you mean young white people.  Young black folks have been saying that for a lot longer.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I have seen tons of young white hipsters using it all of a sudden. And Jeopardy! just used it for their "Greatest of All Time" tournament so I guess it has now lost any remaining cool factor.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, taestell said:

Yes, I should have been more clear. I have seen tons of young white hipsters using it all of a sudden. And Jeopardy! just used it for their "Greatest of All Time" tournament so I guess it has now lost any remaining cool factor.

I haven't noticed any uptick in its usage. I've been hearing this regularly since I was in college at least and I'm in my 30s.

I got out of work early so my daughter took the bus from VCA to her old school in Sagamore Hills, and I picked her up there.

I got there early enough for the pickup line to be in full effect.    You SUV haters would have been horrified.   😆