CincyImages

Off Topic

^Impossible 2.0 was unveiled at CES and several vegetarians stopped eating because they thought they were tricked into eating a real burger.

Don't be fooled - the fake meats aren't exactly healthy (depending on what you subscribe to as "healthy").  They do use vastly fewer resources - water, greenhouse gases - than a burger.  But as Ram notes above, if you're trying to avoid meat and want to sub in healthier alternatives (tofu, black bean burgers, etc.) then Beyond/Impossible wouldn't be for you.  Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't a good half dozen reasons to try them or even eat them somewhat regularly.  Still, just like regular beef burgers, I doubt your doctor or nutritionist would say it's "healthy" to have one every day.

While the fake meats may be on the rise now, I'm curious how well and how quickly "lab grown" meats will get to market.

Very Stable Genius

Why is Arby's working on a meat carrot?

image.png.df6bda5abc6f456e580a2ea0e870eba9.png

Arby’s has created a carrot made out of meat. It’s called a “marrot,” because of course it is, and the Takeout staff cannot stop staring at it.

Yes, Arby’s (they of the staunch refusal to have anything but the meats) is working on the marrot, a test kitchen experiment/brazen slight against God that isn’t yet planned for public release, but basically has to be now that we, and by proxy you, are aware of it. The marrot “contains vitamin content found in a raw vegetable” according to a press release, and exists as a perfect inverse to Beyond Meat, Impossible Burgers, and the like. Where those products strive to replace animal products in order to offer dietary alternatives, Arby’s is making a carrot out of turkey.

Some NSFW language in the rest of the article, but nothing graphic or anything.

• Like 1

^ That's where I get a little frustrated. Whether I need a receiver or amp and the phono preamp etc. and choosing a turntable that goes with it all but my income restrictions will give me plenty of time to figure that all out. Not sure why I cant find any new 230's on their website. Out of stock or stopped making them. If they are out of stock you would think they would just say they were like the other speakers on their site. 

Edited by Mildtraumatic

Speaking of speakers, my house is wired throughout with these things:

81dadAYnh6L._SL1500_.jpg

It would have been done in either the 70s or early 00s by the previous owner. I'm assuming that means they had 15+ speakers all throughout the house and yard. I redid the house almost entirely top to bottom, but kept these as an homage of sorts to the previous owner who had passed away.

• Like 1

omg unhealthy health foods, meat grown in labs, meat ...carrots ??? what kind of food world is this becoming? lol

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Ram23 said:

Speaking of speakers, my house is wired throughout with these things:

81dadAYnh6L._SL1500_.jpg

It would have been done in either the 70s or early 00s by the previous owner. I'm assuming that means they had 15+ speakers all throughout the house and yard. I redid the house almost entirely top to bottom, but kept these as an homage of sorts to the previous owner who had passed away.

Yeah I remember these from the 70s and 80s.  Radio Shack sold them, and I remember seeing them installed in people's basement wood paneling.   

Now they have Bluetooth powered speakers so the only thing you need to plug in is a standard power chord.  I'm pretty skeptical of what a loud Bluetooth system sounds like, but I haven't heard a high-end one so maybe they're as good or almost as good as a traditional wired system.  

• Like 1

So we have a new sub forum.  Buy & Sell 

Sounds to familiar to a TV Show.  Perhaps we can re-branded UrbanOhio's exclusive and premier lifestyle shopping center, to something more dignified that has some pizazz!

I'm all for keeping UO fresh, new, current and on trend.  So I would like to suggest we give this forum a better name.

Some suggestions:

"UrbanOhio MarketSpace"

"The UrbanOhio Merchandise*Mart"

"The Forum Shops at UrbanOhio"

"The Shoppes at UrbanOhio"

"The UrbanOhio Shopping Network"

"Les Galeries d'UrbanOhio"

"MayDay's Basement"

"Rich's Online Department Store"

"CDMs "shut up and take my money" Bazaar"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Now they have Bluetooth powered speakers so the only thing you need to plug in is a standard power chord.  I'm pretty skeptical of what a loud Bluetooth system sounds like, but I haven't heard a high-end one so maybe they're as good or almost as good as a traditional wired system.  

Yes I want to get back to the authentic sound you get from a turntable and away from digital -CD sound. Bluetooth I would think would make it sound digital all over again coming from a turn table.. Defeating the purpose...?

Don't buy any records made recorded after the year 2000 unless the engineers specifically avoided brickwalling. The vinyl advantage doesn't extend to anything brickwalled (AKA "Hard-Limited"). And for the most part everything made between 1985 and 1988 was mastered for cassette and from 1989-2000 was mastered for CD. Vinyl's advantage is limited with those as well. Music after 2000 is mastered for listening in the car.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

Yes I want to get back to the authentic sound you get from a turntable and away from digital -CD sound. Bluetooth I would think would make it sound digital all over again coming from a turn table.. Defeating the purpose...?

I don't know.  I have yet to hear good (like $1,000+) bluetooth speakers in person. 

The thing about vinyl that I find most annoying is having to flip the records.  22 minutes isn't a lot of time.  Most record players do that amazing thing where you can cue up a few of them and it automatically drops the next one and the needle magically finds its way to the next record, but to listen to both sides of the same record automatically you'd have to own two versions of the same record! Also, if you throw a party, the needle will keep skipping even before the dancing commences, especially if you have a hardwood floor that sends the vibrations straight up to the record player.  You should look up recommendations on how to reduce the transmission of floor vibrations to the stereo and record player. 

In my experience, even on a cheap or old record player, records will sound warmer than CD's or MP3's, but they also might sound kind of dull and muddy.  It's the complete opposite of the trebley harshness of new music heard through a cheap little bluetooth speaker, but still not that great.   Also, the type of record and where a song is physically placed on a record makes a difference.  For example, the same song will sound different on an LP versus a 45 because of the different groove width and speed (33 vs 45).  Sort-of-similarly, the songs that are closer to the edge of an LP sound better than the ones closer to the label. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like no one listens to music seriously at home anymore.

Correct. 

When I was a kid I remember people cranking their stereos throughout the day, especially on weekends, so that they could hear the music while doing yard work or while working on their cars without having to move the speakers.  I remember my mom turning the stereo way up so she could hear the music while using the vacuum sweeper throughout the house. 

The beginning of the end were the Bose surround sound systems with the little cube speakers and the separate subwoofer.  That's when the electronics companies started charging a premium for substandard speaker systems under the auspices of a "complete home entertainment system". 

• Like 2

And if people do sit down to just listen to music, someone opens up a Wikipedia page about the band or song and starts reading it aloud.

Edited by GCrites80s
  • Like 1

Seems like no one listens to music seriously at home anymore.

Someone tell the moron who lives diagonally one floor below me causing my floor to reverberate until 2 am. What I don't understand is why the people who live directly next to him or those whose floor and ceiling are above and below him respectively don't seem to be bothered. They're all millennials. I guess they can't "hear." Not that I would characterize the incessant pounding coming from his apartment as "music."

3 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

Someone tell the moron who lives diagonally one floor below me causing my floor to reverberate until 2 am. What I don't understand is why the people who live directly next to him or those whose floor and ceiling are above and below him respectively don't seem to be bothered. They're all millennials. I guess they can't "hear." Not that I would characterize the incessant pounding coming from his apartment as "music."

I guess this is a perk of living in the East Village. 

told you so i give up GIF

• Haha 2

OK, rural folk, stop calling me on the phone part of the phone then asking a million questions when an ambulance or fire truck drives by. "Why are there sirens? What is happening to you?" I've lived "in town" since 1999. At least if something does happen to me I won't have to lay there dying for half an hour for before they show up.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 4:10 AM, jmecklenborg said:

I don't know.  I have yet to hear good (like $1,000+) bluetooth speakers in person. 

If you are a true audiophile, Bluetooth is not the way to go. Even if you are listening to a high-quality MP3 or AAC files, your phone/computer is decoding that file and re-compressing it to send it over Bluetooth. And then it's being decompressed again by your Bluetooth speaker/headphones. So the audio quality is definitely "good enough" for 99% of people, but if you're the type of person who is going to spend $500 on a good turntable with a good cartridge, or build a collection of high quality FLAC files, it would defeat the purpose to listen via Bluetooth at a degraded quality.

Bluetooth devices also tend to have a lot of annoying quirks. For example, I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers in my office that sound awesome (I think I paid around $200 for the pair), but when they turn off, they forget about being paired to a phone or computer. So every single time I turn the speakers on, I have to go into Settings on my phone and re-pair it with the speakers. Other Bluetooth speakers I have owned before have had different but equally annoying quirks.

A 7.1 earthquake?? Play ball!!

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

^Felt that in Las Vegas. Fortunately looks like the epicenter was very remote. That was the first time I've experienced one and have to say that's some weird shi!. Both the sensation and the visuals are unnerving and just plain odd.

I found a pair on ebay for $250. Rock n Roll! My neighbors live far away. 

Nowadays, most folks want smaller speakers, but the market for supersized models hasn't totally disappeared. JBL's Northridge Series ND310IIs (listed at $349 each) are rather large examples, and we loved their unabashedly retro style and sound. They're the speaker equivalent of a well-used '67 Chevelle SS396--and just as fun. These speakers aren't for everybody, but if you're lusting after big sound or you need to fill a large space, we highly recommend the ND310IIs.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jbl-nd310ii-review/

Polk Monitor 5 -Vintage 1987 mint

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/d/columbus-vintage-polk-5-monitor/6928759278.html

Edited by Mildtraumatic

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

I found a pair on ebay for $250. Rock n Roll! My neighbors live far away. 

Nowadays, most folks want smaller speakers, but the market for supersized models hasn't totally disappeared. JBL's Northridge Series ND310IIs (listed at $349 each) are rather large examples, and we loved their unabashedly retro style and sound. They're the speaker equivalent of a well-used '67 Chevelle SS396--and just as fun. These speakers aren't for everybody, but if you're lusting after big sound or you need to fill a large space, we highly recommend the ND310IIs.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jbl-nd310ii-review/

Polk Monitor 5 -Vintage 1987 mint

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/d/columbus-vintage-polk-5-monitor/6928759278.html

Well this review certainly dates itself:

The ND310IIs' bodacious looks inspired us to dig up our Pink Floyd and Parliament Funkadelic CDs, and we reveled in the big, bad '70s sound. These speakers can party! Returning to the 21st century, we sampled the awesome new White Stripes CD, Elephant, and the ND310IIs delivered the full measure of Meg White's massive drum sound and Jack White's fearsome guitar.

• Haha 1

I loved that review! In the speakers brochure one page says, "To keep some distance from you and your neighbors!"

Edited by Mildtraumatic
  • Haha 1

Hi everypeep.

I got published in Huffington Post today, which is a pretty big score for me. Thought I would post here to share with my UO peeps.

What I’ve Learned About Unemployment And Being Poor After Applying For 215 Jobs

This month marks two years since I lost my full-time job. At the time, I’d been working as a communications professional for 15 years, and the loss was devastating. I was a single mother with almost nothing in savings and no safety net.

Read more:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/unemployment-poverty-america_n_5d387f32e4b004b6adb9a15e

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, rockandroller said:

Hi everypeep.

I got published in Huffington Post today, which is a pretty big score for me. Thought I would post here to share with my UO peeps.

This month marks two years since I lost my full-time job. At the time, I’d been working as a communications professional for 15 years, and the loss was devastating. I was a single mother with almost nothing in savings and no safety net.

Read more:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/unemployment-poverty-america_n_5d387f32e4b004b6adb9a15e

Thanks for sharing RandR.  You truly are a gifted writer.

• Like 1

Hey rockandroller---Great paper, i just read it. I remembered your name (rockandroller)--you were a regular contributor on this website, but I hadn't seen your name in long time and actually thought of you a couple of months ago (something about the aggressive homeless people around 13th and Chester). Glad you're still around! I liked your essay and I hope that it leads to a good, full-time work somewhere, from reaching the right person!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:54 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

To be honest, I can't hear the difference anymore so pretty much everything I have is digital these days.   But I never did get how random background noise was considered "authentic".

16 hours ago, rockandroller said:

Hi everypeep.

Read more:

Good to hear from you again, and a nice piece of writing despite (or because of) the bad circumstances.  You always provided a perspective here vis a vis downtown that others were inevitably going to miss.

"Scary Mommy" is an excellent site even when your not a mom LOL

• Like 1

I think the essay is "going viral" as they say. I have gotten close to 400 emails. My blog is blowing up. It's being shared all over LI and the FB sharing is unbelievable. I may have put a nail in the coffin to ever getting a "real" job again but it was worth it to get the emails I've been getting. This has really resonated with people and I am SO GLAD. Thanks for reading, my peeps.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

I loved that review! In the speakers brochure one page says, "To keep some distance from you and your neighbors!"

Subliminal sprawl advocacy!

21 hours ago, rockandroller said:

I think the essay is "going viral" as they say. I have gotten close to 400 emails. My blog is blowing up. It's being shared all over LI and the FB sharing is unbelievable. I may have put a nail in the coffin to ever getting a "real" job again but it was worth it to get the emails I've been getting. This has really resonated with people and I am SO GLAD. Thanks for reading, my peeps.

that's great news.

this is one of the most fantastically written, upfront and truthful pieces i have ever read. and even more, it is supremely important. it should be required reading in high schools and college business, healthcare, and ethics classes.

i don't know what else to say, except thank you and that of course we who know you online for so long are thinking of you, pulling for you and we wish you all the best.

• Like 3

Wow mrnyc, that is extremely high praise, and much appreciated.

I am going to work very hard to (finally) get a book deal out of this. It seems the right time, and I have thousands of comments and emails like your to put forward to an agent to convince them this is a story that needs to be told. I've already written the manuscript.

I haven't been on UO as much the last couple of years as it's been so much work just staying alive some days, and keeping my head above water. I had to cut out a lot of extra stuff in my life to focus on day to day living. I'm resurfacing now as it's been a good couple of months and I'm hopeful the tide is turning - and then this article hit. I just hope it can help me push a path forward where I can share my thoughts on these issues more widely, and hopefully further build my own business as a writer at the same time.

I wonder if that's internet forums in general. Look at the majority of reddit posters. Y chromosomes all over, especially from the more hateful posters.

omg reddit drives me right up the wall. i like the links and photos and all, but the format and chatter is trash. its littered with virtue signalers, america bashers and cowards. any dissent is pushed to the bottom. i think its part owned by the chinese now so it will only get worse.

13 hours ago, mrnyc said:

omg reddit drives me right up the wall. i like the links and photos and all, but the format and chatter is trash. its littered with virtue signalers, america bashers and cowards. any dissent is pushed to the bottom. i think its part owned by the chinese now so it will only get worse.

Yeah, the entire concept of sorting all discussion by up/down votes is pretty bizarre. The only plausible result is groupthink and virtue signalling. Anything else, including anything resembling critical thinking or originality, is voted down and ultimately hidden from the discussion.