Sign in to follow this  
CincyImages

Off Topic

We need to remind Canada who's boss still! Can you imagine a aircraft carrier porting in downtown Cleveland? The only thing I don't think it can fit in the canal between Lake Ontario and Erie, be towed off and on starting at  the Saint Lawrence river and anchored a 1/2 mile off the coast.

funny timing here — i learned something about this topic just this week as we were up in the mitt of michigan.

actually there were two aircraft carriers in the great lakes during the second world war, the wolverine and the sable. they were scrapped afterward, but the planes are collectors items. they were modified great lakes ships and were used for practice. of course they couldn’t be on shallow lake erie — they were on lake michigan:

https://articles.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/11/great_lakes_world_war_ii_aircraft_carrier_aviators_s.amp

https://articles.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/lake_michigan_navy_carriers.amp

The only time we fought the Canadians we lost.

It's worse than that.  Our professional military lost to their militia near Niagra Falls.  We went up there with every intention of taking the whole place for ourselves while Britain was busy fighting Napoleon and we couldn't handle the British skeleton crew and some farmers from Ontario. 

not really, the vast majority of usa participants in the war of 1812 were also poorly trained militia. i say participants because much of the country, ie., the east coast federalists, turned their back on it. so the whole war wasnt much of one and its overblown in america. it soon ended in a draw and its seen as a skirmish in the napoleonic wars in england and france and i think rightly so.

We need to remind Canada who's boss still!

The only time we fought the Canadians we lost.

It seems that everything's gone wrong since Canada came along

I just wanted to take my time to share some personal news.

I'm joining the military, and more in particular the Air Force. I've enlisted and have been sworn in this past Friday afternoon circa 4:00.

(16:00 for those service members who are probably going to rip me a new one if I don't use military)

I don't know my MOS or my ship date yet, but I have some really good military connections as NCO's that can put in a recommendation for my desired position as an Aerospace Propulsion Technician.

More than likely I will be put in that area, but based on the circumstances right now, since I don't have an MOS, my ship date is set somewhere between January and February.

Luckily Basic training is in Texas, also at the perfect season, so I'll be in Ohio spring weather if not, better.

Are there any seasoned Air Force vets that can possibly give me some pointers or lookouts so i'm prepared?

So, I know I'm not a seasoned veteran on Urban Ohio although I check this website religiously, I know I will be with the United States Air Force.

Contracting for 6 years with an auto E-3 AFC grade. Possibly going for my bachelors and going through OCS to one day become a pilot and retire with 20 years under my belt.

Alright Cleveland, by the time I get out, I want the skyline to be unrecognizable. And by that, I mean more buildings. Bigger buildings.

all the best to you and keep us posted.

maybe brush up on your military branch jokes!

On some air bases the Air Force is on one side of the field and civilian aircraft use the other side of the field, with the control tower in the middle.  One day the tower received a call from an aircraft asking, "What time is it?"  The tower responded, "Who is calling?"  The aircraft replied, "What difference does it make?"  The tower replied, "It makes a lot of difference.  If it is an American Airlines flight, it is 3 o'clock.  If it is an Air Force plane, it is 1500 hours.  If it is a Navy aircraft, it is 6 bells.  If it is an Army aircraft, the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 3.  If it is a Marine Corps aircraft, it's Thursday afternoon."

Any publicity is good publicity....unless it's this publicity.

What is the most evil company and why?

Some real interesting information about Cincy's own Chiquita Brands.

Any publicity is good publicity....unless it's this publicity.

What is the most evil company and why?

Some real interesting information about Cincy's Charlotte's own Chiquita Brands.

FTFY.

Ant Man and Wasp was absolutely hilarious.  It may be my favorite post 2007 Marvel film

Punisher War Zone still my number 1

here's something that should keep people busy for awhlle :classic_unsure:

A MAP OF EVERY BUILDING IN AMERICA

By TIM WALLACE, DEREK WATKINS and JOHN SCHWARTZ

Oct. 12th, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/12/us/map-of-every-building-in-the-united-states.html

"Most of the time, The New York Times asks you to read something. Today we are inviting you, simply, to look. On this page you will find maps showing almost every building in the United States.

Why did we make such a thing? We did it as an opportunity for you to connect with the country’s cities and explore them in detail. To find the familiar, and to discover the unfamiliar.

So … look. Every black speck on the map below is a building, reflecting the built legacy of the United States."

On 10/11/2018 at 12:22 PM, Florida Guy said:

The new UO site is awesome! Thank you to all that made it happen.:classic_cool:

Yes it is...but I do kind of miss the building thing. I am stuck forever now as the Kettering Tower. At least I did not get stuck as the hideous Rhodes Tower lol.

Edited by Toddguy

Just now, mrnyc said:

so what are the odds potential voters will bother to look up from their phones and self involved new life experiences and actually go out and vote this november?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/09/22/mississippi-youth-voting-stamps-register-midterms-november-column/1356563002/

Younger people have always had the lowest voting rate.   Loosening the absentee rules makes it something one can do on one's own schedule, which is bound to increase participation.